Member photo gallery

Ryan Mason

Dave Ronaldson (Olderndirt) began almost75a.jpglife in Edinburgh, Scotland (hence the Saltire avatar) in 1938 but, as the son of a GI bride (complicated), ended up a citizen of the USA.  Most of my adult life was spent in Alaska - first, courtesy of the USAF then with the FAA at various ATC facilities around the state.  Retired here in Washington state, my previous experience as a recreational pilot drew me into the Flightsim web.  An expensive hobby but, as the state of the art continues to grow, so does the enjoyment.  The webcam shot - about a year ago as I approached my 75th birthday.

• Upvote 1

Well, it's time to come out of the closet (lol no not that one!). I used to run the Unofficial Fly web site and Fly Virtual Airlines back in the Fly! days, which didn't last long unfortunately! :(

I am from Montreal, Canada, lived there 99.5% of my life as I have now stepped in the dark side and moved to Ontario. There used to be a big fight between Quebec and Ontario, anglos versus frenchs but what is funny is that I live in the easternmost region of Ontario where it's actually more french speaking than Montreal! ???:D

Anyways, enough of this, I am 40 years old and I always had a passion for aviation, my dad worked for Pratt & Whitney and Air Canada so I was really lucky I could travel on passes all my life ! :)

Other than aviation I am a car nut, modified most of my cars and my dream is to have a lightning fast AWD car and a supercar on top of having a few aircrafts :)

GroovyMotion3.jpg

• Upvote 2

Well done Dave.. You do not look seventy five.. born the same year as me.. York UK, moved to Aus aged thirty, left for the USA 2001 and been here ever since..

PS.. You have managed to keep a lot more of your hair than me too.. ::)

• Upvote 1

Well Hello Martin , now if we can just get Stillwater (Gerold) to come out from behind the curtain . :D :D

Brad

Ok mates, I have just seen this slight hint to add a little bit of information about me... so, here we go.

I am Chemist, working for an international company which gets me the chance to see some parts of the world by real life flying. For example, I did visit the company where TeeCee was employed some years ago - and which was put into the Tasmania scenery by him. My nickname also comes from Tasmania - the Stillwater is a fantastic restaurant in Launceston.

I just started flightsimming in 2008, when the FSX became nearly flyable. Not to the full pleasure of my wife, who might prefer me being a honeydo... . But I think our 3 kids are more liberal to see me hanging at the computer...

My real life hobby is field hockey, we are all playing (ok, I am "over 45"), coaching or even acting as umpires (So I liked the discovery of the hockey pitch just south of YBCS...).

9f32C.jpg

So, who is next here in this thread  8) ?

• Upvote 1

It is my turn now to come out from behind the curtain . My real name is John and I started here in this forum in early Jan. 2013 under the name of

johnbow72 . In early March of last year their was a system (Orbx) glitch and my 1,300 post were wiped out . So I started again under the name of

bradb . I have been involved with FS since the mid 90's . I have been retired since 2011 and live here in Spokane with my wife Carleen . We have

between the two of us eight grandchildren ( 3 in Maine - 2 in CA and 3 here in Spokane . The picture below was taken aboard the NCL Star

as we departed Seattle for a cruise up to Alaska in June 2011 .

OqLE.jpg

Cheers

John - (aka Brad) :smile: :smile:

• Upvote 1

It is my turn now to come out from behind the curtain . My real name is John and I started here in this forum in early Jan. 2013 under the name of

johnbow72 . In early March of last year their was a system (Orbx) glitch and my 1,300 post were wiped out . So I started again under the name of

bradb . I have been involved with FS since the mid 90's . I have been retired since 2011 and live here in Spokane with my wife Carleen . We have

between the two of us eight grandchildren ( 3 in Maine - 2 in CA and 3 here in Spokane . The picture below was taken aboard the NCL Star

as we departed Seattle for a cruise up to Alaska in June 2011 .

Cheers

John - (aka Brad) :smile: :smile:

Aha! I knew you were a John! ;)

Yikes 8 grandchildren!! Must make huge holiday receptions!

I couldn't even imagine one GroovyMotion Junior lol

• Upvote 1

Hi Everyone.

Heres me taken a few months ago.

Born Christchurch NZ,1961.

Worked Air NZ,Newmans Air,Ansett NZ all at Christchurch Airport. 

Father Airline Pilot.

Lived Malaysia,Singapore and Brunei between 1968 and 1974.Dad was flying for various Asian Airlines at the time.

Imigrated to Aussie in 1991,Worked Air NZ at Brisbane Airport for 12 years.

Moved to Virgin Australia 6 years ago and am a Load controller for them in the Network Ops centre in Brisbane.

Married with One 21 year old son who has just moved out(at last),so wife and i are empty nesting. 

Love Aircraft..wanted to be a pilot but am colour blind..which was a show stopper back in the 70s and 80s.

Fly radio control aircraft and love golf...and love the Mighty All Blacks.

Sister and cousins still live Christchurch.I have been back there quite a bit since the earthquakes.Absolutely shattering

experience to go back and see the city you love and grew up just trashed...very upsetting indeed !!

I love simming and this forum..great to share with like minded people.

Cheers Stu. 

VjHrK.jpg

• Upvote 3

Nice to get some background on my Fellow simmers.. Familiar names become familiar faces.. great.

I now understand why Gerold knows so much about Tas, and my time with a certain company there, That BradB has almost as many grandchildren as me, and Kiwi Stu has the same job I had with TAA/Australian Airlines.. It really is a small world is it not? Teecee.

• Upvote 3

PS: Did you already look at this thread...: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/7095-member-photo-gallery/

After Gerold ask me yesterday, if i know this thread (which i don't know :-[) and after 4000+ post, i decided to give you some information about me. ::)

I was born in April 1979 in Berlin and grew up in West Berlin with the US Army as a neighbor. I'm working as an Architect. I don't know exactly when i started flight simming but a friend of mine showed me FS5 when we were at school. I must admit that i know nothing about aviation in real life, flight simming is more a kind of short vacation for me.

cQOnf.jpg

That's me in December 2013

My second hobby beside flight simming is basketball (blame it on the US Army ::)). I'm not a typical german guy because i don't like soccer! My boyhood idols were Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Michael Jordan. I'm a big fan of my hometown team ALBA Berlin http://www.albaberlin.de/home.html and a member of the RSV Eintracht http://rsv-basketball.de/.

Nb3zK.jpg

Me and my team-mates - i'm the guy with #1

I'm not married but happy with my girlfriend for 15 years now.

• Upvote 3

After Gerold ask me yesterday, if i know this thread (which i don't know :-[) and after 4000+ post, i decided to give you some information about me. ::)

I was born in April 1979 in Berlin and grew up in West Berlin with the US Army as a neighbor. I'm working as an Architect. I don't know exactly when i started flight simming but a friend of mine showed me FS5 when we were at school. I must admit that i know nothing about aviation in real life, flight simming is more a kind of short vacation for me.

hat's me in December 2013

My second hobby beside flight simming is basketball (blame it on the US Army ::)). I'm not a typical german guy because i don't like soccer! My boyhood idols were Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Michael Jordan. I'm a big fan of my hometown team ALBA Berlin http://www.albaberlin.de/home.html and a member of the RSV Eintracht http://rsv-basketball.de/.

Me and my team-mates - i'm the guy with #1

I'm not married but happy with my girlfriend for 15 years now.

Great to learn about you, Karsten! And good you also had snow in the holidays. Danke fuers posten!

2207e919-788d-4236-80f3-689d220cd5e4_zps

G'day every one, Milo here...

I started flight simming a couple years ago when I bought this pc ,

but had to stop for a while when I was looking after my elderly father from lung cancer,

he did make 90 which he wanted to do..  but  unfortunately passed 

away on Christmas day... :-

any way now I'm starting to get back into fsx and maybe some day p3d ,

I have the orbx Aussie dvd  and mostly fly around Australia at the moment,

maybe round the world some day... 

mostly fly the Cessna Grand Caravan 208 , some times the Cessna 172 or the 737 - 800

that's  pretty much it.. 

I'd like to build some kind of a cockpit one day, down the track ..

I'll be 44 this year, that's scary!!  

I love computers (when they work!)   I love ps3 games and I also love doing my radio show  on my local

community fm radio station, its a big adjustment now with out both my mother and father, my sister is great though and while she is in sydney  , I'm in Nowra (NSW) we do a lot for each other and help each other out, so that's me in a nutshell, or plane shell !!

ps pic is of me at the Nowra Navy air fleet museum ..well worth the visit... with a piper Cherokee 

some day I'd like to fly a caravan for real any ideas??

at least a joy flight in one...

sorry about the rant, got carried away there !!

thanks for listening...

Milo ...

• Upvote 2

Hi Everyone.

Heres me taken a few months ago.

Born Christchurch NZ,1961.

Worked Air NZ,Newmans Air,Ansett NZ all at Christchurch Airport. 

Father Airline Pilot.

Lived Malaysia,Singapore and Brunei between 1968 and 1974.Dad was flying for various Asian Airlines at the time.

Imigrated to Aussie in 1991,Worked Air NZ at Brisbane Airport for 12 years.

Moved to Virgin Australia 6 years ago and am a Load controller for them in the Network Ops centre in Brisbane.

Married with One 21 year old son who has just moved out(at last),so wife and i are empty nesting. 

Love Aircraft..wanted to be a pilot but am colour blind..which was a show stopper back in the 70s and 80s.

Fly radio control aircraft and love golf...and love the Mighty All Blacks.

Sister and cousins still live Christchurch.I have been back there quite a bit since the earthquakes.Absolutely shattering

experience to go back and see the city you love and grew up just trashed...very upsetting indeed !!

I love simming and this forum..great to share with like minded people.

Cheers Stu. 

VjHrK.jpg

Stu,you look like an old mate of mine who is a pilot for Cathay Pacific,not a bad thing he was a good bloke too

• Upvote 1

Stu,you look like an old mate of mine who is a pilot for Cathay Pacific,not a bad thing he was a good bloke too

Hey Spok...I got a look alike (doppleganger)have I ...

He obviously not colour blind and reached his dream of flying... Lucky,handsome guy..hee hee

Cheers stu

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Very good post, very nice to see faces with names. 

Name: Sammy Holmes

A little about me, I am originally from Maryland now Stationed in Florida.  I have a son who will be graduating High School this year and then off to college.  I am quite the aviation enthusiast.  Kind of hard to believe given my job that I come home and still need my FSX/DCS fix, Lol.  Before joining the Navy I worked as a Flight Line Supervisor at Baltimore Washington International (KBWI) for 8 years.  I worked in Flight Ops, Airport Ops, as well as Private Charters before wanting to go back to school to a degree in Airport Management.  Been in the Navy for 8 years now.  My job in the Navy is Aviation Maintenance Control, basically I am responsible for ensuring all the Maintenance gets done on the A/C, also to ensure we have A/C available for whatever mission or Flight Schedule we have for that day.  My first command was VFA-2 which they flew the F/A-18F Super Hornet, then I joined the Blue Angels which fly F/A-18A/B/C/D variants.  I worked with the F-35C for just a brief couple of months before transitioning to my current command which is NATTC Pensacola where I instruct Maintenance Control Career School.  I have been in Aviation now for almost 17 years and itching for more.  It is great to see everyone on here and I look forward to sharing more ORBX experiences with all of you.  I ahve attached a few photo's of myself throughout various times in my career.

VFA-2 at Nellis AFB for RED FLAG

953926-R1-05-20A_006_zpsfcf1ce3a.jpg

In the Desert
06172010-007_zps66f4e969.jpeg

Off the Coast of Guam which you can make out barely on the horizon
onrep-vertrep017_zpsba8991d1.jpg

And a few photos from my Blue Angels days

130206-N-SH953-089_zps88ff6d4b.jpg
DSC_6982_zpsaf18f52c.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thanks Sammy, that's a great career story of which many of us will be jealous. Thanks for the photos mate - every time someone takes the trouble to post their story I think to myself - I must get my butt into gear and do the same. My real aviation experience however is virtually nil. Thanks again and stay active on the forum :)

Hi all,

Just found this topic, looks like it's still occasionally active so I'll hop in...

I'm Alex, long time but not very steady flight simmer, and a recent discoverer of Orbx.  (Darn those Orbx marketers and their damn free excellent demos)   I live in beautiful northern New Mexico, where I grew up, and like my profile says, I love hiking, mountain biking, and playing banjo.  I've been trolling these forums for a while, learning a lot about Orbx, and getting to know some of the community here, which it really is.  I like what I see, the Orbx groupies are an interesting, diverse bunch, and I hope I can bring something useful to the group.

I've wanted to be a pilot since I was about 2.  I got my ppl while at university, and after graduation found myself in Alaska, where I worked the Anchorage ramp for three years while working on my ratings.  I was very fortunate, after a very brief stint dropping skydivers in 182s, I had a Twin Otter FO job in southwest Alaska with Era Aviation.  I was with Era for six years, which included a year and a half in the Dash 8. 

From there I followed an opportunity to eastern DR Congo, flying humanitarian aid workers to remote strips in the jungle, also in the Twin Otter (and the Caravan occasionally, when they were desperate).  That was the best job I've ever had, and I truly knew the feeling of loving one's work every day.  After that I spent two years flying in Algeria, and then a year in Uganda flying oil workers around in the brand new first-off-the-line Twin Otter -400.  Somewhere in there I got married, and my lifestyle was not conducive to a fledgling marriage, so I basically gave it (lifestyle and flying) up.  I miss flying a lot, but FSX actually helps.  I have many blessings in my life and I have done things I could never even dream of, so I don't dwell on it and just enjoy what I have today.

116320339.jpg

Eastern Algeria

So I must say, Orbx, I am a definite convert and will support the cause as much as I can.  It's exactly what FSX needed, particularly in the unpaved-strip department.  But of special note, fantastic job on the Jackson's scenery!  Check out our Twin Otter in Shabunda, DRC:

116320201.jpg

Now compare it to Orbx's Kokoda.  You guys really got the atmosphere and feel of jungle flying, imo.  And I love how you did the full package -- airliner into a beautifully done Port Moresby, then take an Otter or 206 to some awesome hairball strips, or a Dash 8 across the island to some far-flung airport on the ocean, or there are some places perfect for the Caravan as well.  So great job, I love it, helps me pretend I'm a real pilot again.

So it's good to meet everyone, it makes it more of a community when you can actually know something about the people in it, great thread.

Alex V.

• Upvote 2

Hey thanks Sammy, you too.  My first dream was to be a fighter pilot, just being near those planes gives me goosebumps.  It must be really cool to be around them and responsible for their health and operation, right on!  Love your pics, the last one is awesome.  But watch out for those pitot tubes, they get hot  lol...

Hey Pat, no I was gone before that started, but same Era.  Sort of.  Era Aviation partnered up with Hageland and Frontier Alaska, and the ensuing trio was named Era Alaska.  As I recall, the reality show seemed to mostly focus on the Unalakleet and north coast operations, which were the Hageland side of things.  Era is much different now than when I was there, not sure for the better, starting with replacing the Twin Otters with 1900s not long after I left.

• 1 month later...

Commercial3.jpg

At the entrance to Parafield Airport,South Australia

They say "age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn", but ....

to have a plane 'spiked' is something to underline my present age.  

I clocked only 36 hrs, in her but she was a delight to fly on both engines, but a handful in an EFATO test...

I am still hunting a photo of my 'truck', VH-RNH a Piper Navajo that I loved dearly.

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to be private pilot holding a multi-engine, first-class instrument rating (whatever they are called nowadays).

VH-RNH_Piper_PA-31-350_Chieftain_9171325

And here she is, neat and tidy.  I note that it is registered to a company in the Brisbane region so it is probably based at Archerfield.  With a little bit of effort I just might go out and pat it, once again.

I note that "WE" (note the collective we), have well and truly hijacked this thread. Methinks we are about to get our knuckles rapped. Perhaps this should be continued over at Oziex?. Teecee.