Member photo gallery

Ryan Mason

I have seen several threads like this on other forums, and I thought we could all get to know each other a little better by posting a pic of ourselves and a little history, like where your nickname (forum name) came from and where your from, how long you have been flightsimming and any other flightsim endeavours you indulge in. I know there are some members who just want to be annoymous but for those who dont mind others seeing there mug I thought this would be a nice get to know you thread.

Posted Image

Forum Name: Aussiecop

Nic origin: I am Australian, but live in the USA and am a police officer, really not much imagination to mine :)

Flightsim: I have only been simming for about 2 years now, I am an avid painter and have probably somewhere in the vicinity of 100 paints both fixed wing and rotor (but I think 80 or so are Helicopters) am currently working on an HD Bell 206 with 2 other OZx Developers when not flying real egg beaters.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

c'mon mate.. we are not all young and...er... passable.. with interesting jobs.. oh well.. here is me at my "other" hobby. Teecee. (Terry)

Posted Image

Ancient.. retired.. lived in Aus most of my life.. Sydney, The Alice, Tassie, Newman WA.. then came to the US in 2001.

been simming for yonks.. at least since 1998 anyway, and lovin' it more each day.. It's my way of keeping in touch with aus.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

:D

Ok; been simming for over ten years. My first sim was a wire frame on a Timex Sinclair 2600. Retired factory trained VW mechanic. I work for National/Alamo car rental as a rental agent now. Four ten hour shifts, three days off...

My husband is retired, been a year now. Cats and dog, dog raised current cats, thinks she is their grandmother... they agree. Dog was in turn raised by previous cats, thinks she is large kitty...  All play together- cats chase dog, galumph, galumph, back the other way with dog chasing them...

Have FSX on one hard drive , 2004 on another, Golden Wings on third... also First Eagles (WWI air combat sim ) and Battle of Britain. Attending

Flight Simmers Anonymous meetings...

Friends Apache, wish it was mine... trying to lose the weight...

LOL

Sue

Posted Image

Origin of nickname: Well ... I just like the plane. It's an aboriginal word for "challenge" too. Something I can be at times according to my wife

About Me: Born and bred in Broken Hill. Moved to Sydney to study electrical engineering. Then to Canberra to become the systems engineer at the Deep Space Tracking station. However for the last 10 years I've written software for a major defence company. Flight Simmed since they made planes out of rocks, but only with Microsoft about a year.

Here's me at Temora doing my best to convince the ground crew that I really don't know how to start it ...

Posted Image

The guts a little smaller now though thanks to Mount Ainslie and a push bike!

Origin Of nickname: Up until recent injuries in Afghanistan, I've spent 9 of my 17 years in the military as a trained combat sniper. As for the number '31' it is simply my favorite number.:)

About me: Born and raised in California, joined U.S. Army in 1989. Have been stationed most of my career here in Tennessee, but I've deployed to Iraq back in '91, and then again a few times since 2003, finished off with a recent 'trip' to Afghanistan (worked with some Aussie troops there, and even flew a few missions on Aussie Ch-47 helicopter's, and was very impressed with the flight crew's piloting). On this last trip I suffered injuries that have put my deployments to an end, and I get to finish my career at a desk :( In two years though, I can retire from the military and move on to a different career. Married to a wonderful woman who's stuck with me through all the recent deployments overseas. No children.

Flight SimMy first experience with flight simming was on SubLogic's Flight Simulator, back in 1982 or 83 (can't remember exactly...lol). Since then, I have been addicted to every version of Microsoft Flight Simulator, as well as various combat flight sims. Then I discovered FTX and the virtual World was forever changed for me.:)

This was taken of me sitting on my Hummer with my rifle in hand, in Afghanistan, about a month before I was wounded. Man, I miss my rifle...:(

Posted Image

• Upvote 2

Origin Of nickname: Up until recent injuries in Afghanistan, I've spent 9 of my 17 years in the military as a trained combat sniper. As for the number '31' it is simply my favorite number.:)

About me: Born and raised in California, joined U.S. Army in 1989. Have been stationed most of my career here in Tennessee, but I've deployed to Iraq back in '91, and then again a few times since 2003, finished off with a recent 'trip' to Afghanistan (worked with some Aussie troops there, and even flew a few missions on Aussie Ch-47 helicopter's, and was very impressed with the flight crew's piloting). On this last trip I suffered injuries that have put my deployments to an end, and I get to finish my career at a desk :( In two years though, I can retire from the military and move on to a different career. Married to a wonderful woman who's stuck with me through all the recent deployments overseas. No children.

Flight SimMy first experience with flight simming was on SubLogic's Flight Simulator, back in 1982 or 83 (can't remember exactly...lol). Since then, I have been addicted to every version of Microsoft Flight Simulator, as well as various combat flight sims. Then I discovered FTX and the virtual World was forever changed for me.:)

This was taken of me sitting on my Hummer with my rifle in hand, in Afghanistan, about a month before I was wounded. Man, I miss my rifle...:(

Posted Image

On behalf of all the people from the US, I would like to say thanks! ;D
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My Story: 25 years of Federal Public Service scarred me for life, retired 2 Jan 2007 after many years as a Financial/Retirement Planner and Business Advisor.  Decided to take my mid life crisis and do something constructive with it, so am currently studying full time at James Cook Uni in Cairns doing a Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting), aiming to go out on my own after I finish said degree and do Corporate Tax Accounting or similar, but could just as easily end up driving a bus....  ;)  Married a couple of times, have 4 beautiful girls from my different marriages (who said I was hard to get along with??) and live in paradise.  Have travelled the world a few times over since I was 21, just cannot shake that travel bug.

Origin Of nickname: Have used Archie as a nickname for a few years online, mainly for online clan scrums when I used to play BF2 with the AEF, It came about from the old Archie comics, or that movie Three Kings.

Flight Sim: Have been flight simming since FS98, but also rarely dabble in a couple of FPS's (COD:WAW at the moment), but finding the time is always a challenge!  Since FTX, have never flown outside Oz!

Posted Image

This is me and two of my four girls on hols at Loch Ness a couple of years ago.

My sons godfather just god back from the sandpit (Iraq) he serves in the Engineers based at fort lost in the woods(Ft Leonard Wood, Missouri, its an Army Joke, anyone who has been there knows what I mean) He is one of only 12 of his unit to come back after multiple insurgent attacks, the last of which he was hit with an IED outside of Basra in a humvee, he was the only one not KIA from that vehicle, I may be Australian but having lived in the USA for 8 years I have many military friends and I salute you sniper my friend for your great service.  This is turning out to be a great idea where we learn so much we didnt know about our fellow simmers, keep posting guys!

• Like 1

Ahhh Archie is it you??, I think I played against you in BF2 a few times, me and some TOG clan mates used to crew the blackhawk a lot in the good old BF2 days.

TOG-Meatand2veg was my name in that game

Hahahaa, yes mate, thats me, I was (AEF) Archie way back then, I do remember a lot of fantastic matches against the TOG guys!  ;)

Posted Image

Forum name: Martinc

FSimhistory: Too long to remember, since the start i guess.

Real world: Based in sunny (Ugh) Melbourne Australia.

Married to the most wonderful girl in the world.

I earn my living as a systems analyst/programmer for one of the big Telco's and have done for 27 years.

My shared passions are travel (the more remote, the better). The attached photo was shot in the wilds of BC, Canada late last year and photography, which i've been doing since i was 8 (couldn't avoid it, family business), and occasionally make a living at it (HA HA !). MMM, have to put in a shameless plug here: :)

http://www.martincreely.com.au and http://saxmancometh.deviantart.com/

In our off hours from work you will find my beloved and i either in our studio shooting something, or somebody, or chasing a photo story (my particular passion is photojournalism), or stomping around some remote corner of the world chasing something hairy and hard to find.....Like Moose, which i'm convinced were invented by Canadians to fool travellers (Sorry Dave) :). This coming weekend we are shooting at an abandoned mental asylum out in the sticks... YAY !.

MMM, what else. I play saxophone in a small ensemble. With less enthusiasm than i should have :).

Some of my other passions are Sumo wrestling (spectating, not competing) and motorcycle racing (especially speedway). Go all the Aussies based in the UK.

In the past i've done a lot of scuba diving (a long time ago). Been a competitive rifle and pistol shooter (taking a break from the gun game for a while, too much politics).

Was raised on a cattle farm, so i can do useful things like drive a tractor, wield a chainsaw, milk a cow, turn a mis-presented calf (ew!), that i don't miss.

Thats about all i can think of for now.

Cheers

Martin C

What a great thread, so nice to see and read about everyone!

Ok here I go...  ;D

Story: my dad got me interested in flying, used to imagine flying bombing missions while sitting in my 'cockpit' made of an upturned stool and a map of Europe. My first flight sim was the original Falcon 1 (which is what got me into computers) FS was 5.0, since then I've had nearly every flying sim worth its CD or DVD.

I also love FPS's started with the original Castle Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake etc, now I am on to COD WAW. Known as Butchmeister, we should start a OzX clan...  ;D ;D

Married, 2 kids and 'Monte'... always worked in customer service, airlines, paper industry, telco and now toiling for an office automation company. 

This is me with a friend  :-* and my daughter on a recent trip.  :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Name Paul Johnston

Nickname paulj

That's me in the capt. seat in Flight Experience's 737NG simulator at Darling Harbour taken early last year.

I'm retired now but was a customs broker for 30 years and then spent my last 10 years in IT as Unix systems analyst/administrator.

Been flight simming since the old Commadore 64 days, currently building my own 737NG cockpit at home.

I live in Sydney, but was born in Glasgow, Scotland emigrated to Aus in 1963.

My wife and I now live alone as our 3 sons have married and we have 4 wonderful grandkids.

Travel to Brisbane quite often to see 1 of our sons and his family.

cheers

Paul

Posted Image

Forum Name Holy Cheese - picked this name up while flying with Livewire VA. We used to do a Friday night online flight, and a French Canadian gave me this name which has stuck ever since.

From Born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, but now live in Heiden, Switzerland since the last 15 years. Have moved around a bit over the years, having also lived in Dubai, Kuwait and Denmark. Switzerland is now home, though. Work for a company which manufactures medical compression stockings for treating varicose veins etc, and you guys down in Oz keep us nice and busy because you are all very conscientious about wearing your flight socks to prevent DVT  ;D I'm the export manager responsible for Asia, Australia and NZ.

Been simming since the days of Commodore 64.

Cheers

Jack

Forum name: Maxter - Max is the name of my pet 53Kg Rhodesian Redback Mastif Cross half human half dog.  My two daughters nicknamed him Maxter and I ended up using it for the last 5 - 6 years  :D

Bio: Born in NE India and came to Oz (Perth) at the age of 10, 36 years ago.  After a couple of years working in Sydney in the early 80's, moved back to Perth and worked for the same firm for 26 years in engineering, customer service, operations, business analysis and finally back in engineering as a dept manager.  Decided to get some formal qualifications and completed a Post Grad Dip in Management at the Curtin School of management as part of a Masters stream.  Hope to finish the Masters when I get some more money  :D

Quit my job about 13 months ago to start my own business services consultancy which is suffering a little at the moment given the downturn in the economy.  It was a bad time to give up a very stable and well paying job  :D.  Married to Denise and have 2 daughters Tenielle (starting a Med Science degree this year) and Rhiannon who is 15.

Started simming around 1984 when someone brought a 5.25 floppy of SubLogic Flight Simulator Ver 1 to work to run on our then brand new genuine IBM PCXT.  I was hooked after about the first 10 minutes and went out and bought my own PCXT clone a couple of months later.  With about another 6 PC's now having flown under the bridge, I am constantly amazed at just how far we have come in the simming world.  In the early 90's, I clearly remember the bulletin boards from which we dragged third party aircraft and sceneries for FS4 and marvelled just how intricate the aircraft had become.  I clearly remember the joy of seeing the first spinning props, 3D mountains, retractable gear and my goodness rotating wheels.  Of course, for me the ultimate in reality was the introduction of the first rudimentary VC's.

Anyhow, it has been a privilege interacting with all of you folk on this forum on a daily basis.  For that I have John Venema and the entire Orbx team to thank.  They have certainly made my hobby so much more enjoyable and fulfilling.

Cheers to you all,

Posted Image

PS, I will always regret not having found the $1,500 the guys were chasing for 30 minutes in this bird so sadly, no, I didn't fly in it.

Firstly, I must congratulate you, Ryan on a great idea. As others have said, it is nice to put a face to some of the names finally.

Ok, so here I go.

Forum name: Tennyson. It's been my nic for many years. It was given to me many years ago after I published my first book of Poetry. I've since written a few more, as well as a few novels, the odd one with an aircraft theme or two.

Posted Image

BIO: Born in Murwillumbah, NSW (I keep telling people they have since rezoned it as Queensland). Spent many years in the RAAF, then went solo for a good few years in the aircraft industry before starting my own IT company which I successfully ran until 2000 when I had to retire for medical reasons.

I still do a bit of IT and try to keep my skills up, building the latest of everything.

I been married about as many times as Liz Taylor (and got the scars to prove it) until a good woman from WA scuttled me and I been happy ever since.

I spend my days travelling. I follow the V8's around the countryside and spend a lot of time in Asia (usually 2 or 3 times a year) and my favourite country (apart from OZ) is Vietnam.

Have 3 beautiful productive kids who are my world and pretty much live the good life.

All this and a bright red sports car (you guessed it, mid life crisis!), what more could a man want.............more FTX!!!!!

Oh yeah, I been simming since God was a boy,

Frank

Posted Image

Forum Name Holy Cheese - picked this name up while flying with Livewire VA. We used to do a Friday night online flight, and a French Canadian gave me this name which has stuck ever since.

From Born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, but now live in Heiden, Switzerland since the last 15 years. Have moved around a bit over the years, having also lived in Dubai, Kuwait and Denmark. Switzerland is now home, though. Work for a company which manufactures medical compression stockings for treating varicose veins etc, and you guys down in Oz keep us nice and busy because you are all very conscientious about wearing your flight socks to prevent DVT  ;D I'm the export manager responsible for Asia, Australia and NZ.

Been simming since the days of Commodore 64.

Cheers

Jack

Ahh my favorite beer in my favorite country!!

How observant John. I have a 2008 model, but have my order in for the 2009 Anniversary model. It is estimated to arrive in April. I can't wait.

I also had the option of an aftermarket nose cone identical to that one but opted for the real thing.

Frank

P.S. Here's my current one!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Forum Name: Falknis

Bio: I am 30 years old and I started my apprenticeship as a jockey in Ballarat in 1993 before getting too tall a few years later, I continued riding trackwork until I got a job with the late Jim Houlahan as a jumps jockey "Jim incedentally was the land owner and constructor of Calder Park raceway before selling it to Bob Jane, and starting his horse training career at the age of 60" anyway back to my story. I was a jumps jockey from 2002 to 2007 winning some good races such as the Australin Hurdle and the Breily steeplechase at Warrnambool to name a few and the I started to enjoy food and beer too much so I continue to ride trackwork every morning at 4:00am and then I work on my father inlaws sand quarry operating an excavator till about 17:00-18:00, I started my flying at Tyabb in January 2007 with the Peninsula Aeroclub

and recently acheived my private pilots licence. my next goal or new years resolution is to run the Melbourne Marathon, been training since new years day. Cheers sorry to bore you all but that is me :) oh yeah that is falknis in the window

My turn

Posted Image

Forum Name:Gurdy - picked it up years ago when I worked in Burswood Casino - three Craigs hanging out together, and it has stuck ever since! Just an abbreviation of my surname.

From: Born in Auckland NZ, lived around the traps in NZ before migrating to Perth, WA in 1985. Came to Melbourne in 1999 with work and been here ever since. Love to travel and see the world, and that is what fuelled my interest in flight simming. Been at it since MSFS98 off and on, but really got back into it with FS9. Now FSX has turned a hobby into a passion thanks to all concerned here.

Picture of me and the wife at our Melbourne wedding...

Posted Image

Well after looking in the VOZ forums for an hour I finally found the correct site for these posts.  The 'brain farts' are getting more frequent!  I'll have to go back to the VOZ board and correct my request for where to find this thread.

Guy Maricich

I live in the U. S., Pensacola, FL.  I have been fully retired for just over a year now.  Retired Naval Aviator then went to work for the City of Pensacola and as I said retired from that job a year ago last Dec. Some folks know how I got my nickname, "Spud".  After completing Naval flight training and being assigned to my fleet squadron, like all nuggets I was given a 'callsign' for radio, and drinking purposes.  I was born and raised in the state of Idaho, for those that do not know its famous for growing delicious potatoes.  In the U. S. spud is sort of a short name for potatoes and naturally My callsign was Spud.  I use it still as my screename on sites.

The photo was taken back home in Idaho next to the second largest Western Red Cedar tree in the U. S.

Nick Name: Trans_1007

Bio: I work and serve in the USCG as a PJ or Swimmer in spring/summer and fall/winter I go were ever my CO sends me. My 1st 4 year commitment was to the USN as a swimmer with specialty in artic SAR and Nest duty and for the last 8 years was transfered to the USCG. In the USCG I have 3 A school specialtys Swimmer, Counter Narcotics (Hitron), Artic SAR. In accordance with regs pertaining to Swimmers my main specialty this is my final year before I hit the age limit and go onto Aux duty, basically the USCG's way of retirement while still on duty. My main duty station is Dist 9 the great lakes and have a avdet assignment to MUGM NAS Cuba. As I work Counter Narcotics some time im not allowed to post a pic of me for security reasons sorry.

During my off duty time im the Transload Virtual Coast Guad Divsion CEO and commander. I'm married to a USMC and have 1 little sailor.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Spud for mistakenly looking for this in the VOZ forum.  I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise..  I really should get over here more often.

Great to meet you all, I'm Dave Roberts.  divad_strebor is simply a means of avoiding spam email that I have been using for a lot of years now... quite successfully I might add.  It is simply my full name spelt backwards.

Posted Image

I'm 26 years old, and I live in Wangaratta Victoria. My wife, daughter and I have lived here for a shade over 12 months.  Before moving here I was in the western suburbs of Melbourne for 12 years.  Before that, I was in Wodonga for 6 or 7 years, and prior to that I lived in Wangaratta for 7 years.  So essentially, I'm home.

My first Sim was called (IIRC) 727 and was on a cassette tape that loaded in my Amstrad CPC464.  I've had every version of MSFS since FS3, plus a handfull of combat style sims, etc.  I too am into the FPS games, and I love a game with a story to go with it.  I'm addicted to the Half-life series.

Outside the computer room I enjoy ANY contact with aviation (currently looking into getting my Hang glider licence), and mucking around with motorbikes.  I have a bit of a collection of sorts of 80's and 90's Suzuki road bikes in various stages of dis-repair.  The one in this shot is a '93 GSXR 750 and is my daily rider.  In the background on the bench you can see the frame of my project bike.  Long story short, its an '85 GSX 1100 EFE to which I've fitted modern suspension and carried out major cosmetic surgery on it.  One day I'll finish it.  There are other bikes and bits of bikes that I have been stockpiling for future projects, but I've decided that once the 1100 is done, I'll focus my energy and finance on aviation, because thats where my true passion is.

To keep a roof over the head and food on the table, I'm a qualified fitter and turner working in a major textile mill.  If you know Wangaratta at all, you know where I work.

Anyway, I think I've rambled on long enough... Time to let someone else have a go..

This is a addon to my post. Finally got permission to post a pic of me. This was when I was assigned to San Fran for 6 months. Worst 6 months i ever experianced as a swimmer. What im wearing is pretty typical in a swimmers flight suit. In winter its a whole different suit and right now im using my artic suit with temps at  and around -40F the last few days. Already did two SAR swims in Lake Michigan, Burrrr.

Posted Image