Screenshot forum etiquette question.

Tom C

I've been mulling over posting this with a while now, so decided to go ahead and put my head out for a bashing.....

We see hundreds of screenshots every week here, 90-95% of which simply deserve comments like "beautiful, stunning, awesome" and the likes.

However sometimes we've all seen screenshots where some advice from others might improve the original posters ideas, screenshot, formation or otherwise, yet I never see comments posted.

I've often thought to say something, but never did for fear of insulting the original poster.

Other forums II visit, regularly see comments such as; too dark, too much contrast, try to enhance your AA or AF, it might look better with a border or whatever the viewer might think as advice.

Most often than not, this advice is taken in the spirit it was meant and the original poster comes back with another set if screenshots of better quality than the last, even commenting how the advice helped get another step better themselves.

I realise individual opinion is the possible mother of all insults, but more often than not imparting a little advice of one of the master artists could well improve the quality of a new member.

I'm by no means saying tell someone that their efforts are rubbish, far from it, more little pointers to add more realism of sorts.

Another forum I was part of, now sadly closed, every time you posted a picture you knew if one of the masters gave advice it was for the best, and if one of the masters said well done I couldn't have improved on that, you felt as if you were floating with the compliment.

Maybe I'm overstepping the ideas of posting screen shots, but I know my own screenshots at times are far lower in quality than say Iain Emmsie's.

But not knowing how to get to his level then means mine will be forever second best.

I'm sure some more members may think the same, maybe not too though.....

Thoughts anyone?

This has crossed my mind too so your not alone with that idea, but I think people are afraid to hurt someones feelings by pointing out flaws with in their screenshots.

And not everyone have the rig to run FSX with all eyecandy and high resolutions and stuff hence some screenshots well, look like crap for us, but for the person who posted might think it looks great because he never seen his FSX look better.

So would It do any good to tell that person that it doesn't look good when they have no way to improve those shoots?

When I post a screenshot I really appreciate when somebody tells me something is not right with the shot . Say maybe

The AA setting is too high or maybe there are updates for airports I do not know about . I only speak for myself

But the only way I can impove my shots is by the wisdom of others . So all of you out there - Do not hold back

Tell me what you really think . But please be gentle . Ha Ha .

Cheers

Brad

I'm always glad to hear any kind of feedback which could improve my screenies. A short while ago Wolter pointed out that my AA was not set correctly and it took me two days to get that halfway sorted out. But I'm happy I did it...

Cheers

Mallard

I'm always glad to hear any kind of feedback which could improve my screenies. A short while ago Wolter pointed out that my AA was not set correctly and it took me two days to get that halfway sorted out. But I'm happy I did it...

Cheers

Mallard

Mallard, I am also currently trying to optimize my AA. Any hints from your experience?

I would say that positive *constructive* criticism would be mostly well received.

Personally I wish I had the time to comment on every screenshot but there are so many (which is fantastic). When I do comment it's usually reserved for shots that have good composition, colour, and angles.

Generally shots I don't like I don't comment on because I don't want to discourage anyone from sharing.

I don't mind critique at all on my shots. I post them more to share great places. For me the subject matter is more about orbx product and other vendor aircraft. Not to win a prize for technique.

I see your point however if you look at how people rapidly pick up influence from the simply fantastic quality of some of the key contributors you definitely see someone's shots become better and better. Maybe that is the result of the fellowship & support the forum has.

A picture paints a thousand words as they say.

Yes I don't mind 'constructive' criticism as John says. The interweb and written word can be very dangerous though, some can take things very badly, so kind suggestions are best.

I have to admit that some do post an awful lot of screenies, It is hard to filter down a good set sometimes, but once I hit over around 5, I start to get more ruthless with my babies! I'm even trying to keep my pics down to 1-2 now, but sometimes it's hard when it's allllll sooooooo prrrreetttttyyyyyyy!!!!

I do not and will not comment on any screenshots here. The reason for this is that I have had a lot of my work published in the print media. Plus the fact at one time I actually got banned for a week because I told the truth about a set of screenshots that were posted back in the days of VOZ. The one thing that bugs me is this sites constant refusal to limit the number of screenshots per post. I have suggested a limit of 5 screenshots with a link to their Flickr or Photobucket account if you want to view the rest. There have been posts of over 20 shots in the Screenshots forum and in the General Discussion forums posts of up to 40 shots. not very fair on someone with limited bandwidth.

My comment here is not about screen grabs so much as comments in general. When I posted my first review as a member the Avsim review staff it was for a premium helicopter add-on. I made the mistake of not supplying large enough in size screen grabs for the review so the quality suffered when viewed on the web. An employee from a major flight simulator aircraft developer decided to post a very negative comment that maybe they should stop providing Avsim copies of their aircraft for review based on my screen grabs. I did reply saying this was my first review and would try to improve the quality. Several constructive comments were also made about what programs to use for editing and what is a good size to use for reviews so I was thankful for them. My point is there are some people out there that do not think before they type and their comments can be more hurtful then helpful.

Mike

Generally shots I don't like I don't comment on because I don't want to discourage anyone from sharing.

Indeed. I'd also suggest that before commenting, consider whether the intent of the shot is artistic - to share something the author liked - or simply for demonstration/information purposes. All I've ever posted here are shots to make some point about something in the scenery, and all that matters then is whether the shot clearly shows the point of my text!

I don't often criticize screenshots, and comment on a few I really like. OTOH I criticize photos (something I know about) in several photo forums. If an image is great, I say so. If it sucks, I say so too and offer constructive criticism.

Interesting comments all, and I don't mind at all if someone provides constructive criticism on any of my sets, but at the end of the day it's not like we're being paid to hit the V key or take screenies ya know? Art has always been an enjoyable hobby for me, whether it's painting or drawing in real life, and I've embraced the fact that everyone has their own style, preference, and look to their own work. Also, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", so not everyone will find what you post wonderful, or amazing and that's just something I've accepted a long time ago to the days of crayons in 3rd grade :) Study all of the masters in photography and art, and you'll see a sea of supporters and also a sea of critics, that will never change. Lastly, I do post a lot and I apologize for that, but I'm easily inspired and motivated to post after seeing a lot of great shots from Iain and the rest of the community. Also, more importantly, I never approach art as a "competition" or "trying to be better than another person", but for me it just feels good, and satisfying to challenge myself or push myself into getting an awesome shot, angle, set, or etc. That drive and passion leaks into other areas of your life eventually (work, relationships, family, love), and that is mainly why I do it. If you had fun or got any kind of enjoyment posting or hitting that V key, that's all that matters.....keep em coming! :)

I have to agree with Eric here. As long as its fun.

I use to host a jam night once a week at my local pub with my band. Anyone who can play an instrument or/and sing can get up and jam with the house band. You would get all levels of talent up there, some real hot players... and then there would be some that I would think, "Oh my grief, that's awful".... but I would never have the nerve to tell them this. I would offer advice on their playing, but in a constructive and nice way as to not offend them, and rather encourage them. You would see them come back again and again, getting better and better.

But at the end of the day, all levels of players would get up, all respecting and appreciating each other for their effort... and mainly because its their passion regardless of their ability. Its no competition, and as long as everyone is having fun..... and much like here posting screenshots. It's just a way of everyone here embracing their mutual love for FSX and Orbx, regardless of ability, but open to constructive criticism in a polite manner. :)

I use to host a jam night once a week at my local pub with my band. Anyone who can play an instrument or/and sing can get up and jam with the house band. You would get all levels of talent up there, some real hot players... and then there would be some that I would think, "Oh my grief, that's awful".... but I would never have the nerve to tell them this. I would offer advice on their playing, but in a constructive and nice way as to not offend them, and rather encourage them. You would see them come back again and again, getting better and better.

But at the end of the day, all levels of players would get up, all respecting and appreciating each other for their effort... and mainly because its their passion regardless of their ability. Its no competition, and as long as everyone is having fun..... and much like here posting screenshots. It's just a way of everyone here embracing their mutual love for FSX and Orbx, regardless of ability, but open to constructive criticism in a polite manner. :)

Very well said my friend, and I think we share the same wavelength and opinion here being both musicians. I've been playing guitar for over 12 years now, help friends and family with lessons/music theory, and I get compliments on my playing now, but trust me, I've played my share of bad chords and scales to the point where my dog gives me that look like your awful, stop playing along the way, haha :D. It's not always about the destination, but enjoying the journey. That's what I enjoy the most at least now as I near 30 :)

hi.I don't agree with criticising other people's photos,screenies or what ever.some people are going to be offended by someone who probably shouldn't be giving advice anyway.if you can't say something nice then say nothing...cheers Bill

Interesting comments all, and I don't mind at all if someone provides constructive criticism on any of my sets, but at the end of the day it's not like we're being paid to hit the V key or take screenies ya know? Art has always been an enjoyable hobby for me, whether it's painting or drawing in real life, and I've embraced the fact that everyone has their own style, preference, and look to their own work. Also, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", so not everyone will find what you post wonderful, or amazing and that's just something I've accepted a long time ago to the days of crayons in 3rd grade :) Study all of the masters in photography and art, and you'll see a sea of supporters and also a sea of critics, that will never change. Lastly, I do post a lot and I apologize for that, but I'm easily inspired and motivated to post after seeing a lot of great shots from Iain and the rest of the community. Also, more importantly, I never approach art as a "competition" or "trying to be better than another person", but for me it just feels good, and satisfying to challenge myself or push myself into getting an awesome shot, angle, set, or etc. That drive and passion leaks into other areas of your life eventually (work, relationships, family, love), and that is mainly why I do it. If you had fun or got any kind of enjoyment posting or hitting that V key, that's all that matters.....keep em coming! :)

+1

I could not say it any better.

And there is nothing wrong with any kind of constructive criticism at all - infact:

It is most appreciated and essential to gain progress!

Cheers, Christoph

Yes, fun is the key (pardon the pun), and best to not take things too seriously, considering its a hobby.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with opening up a new category, if demand justified it, for 'serious' pro-style shots with the inevitable post-processing and anal-retentive discussion of blur percentages or exotic photoshop filters. Not sure if it'd be that popular though. Or useful, since this site's main use is to promote the scenery, not editing tools.

My personal impression: the forum is very often swamped with screenshots.

I agree. i have a couple of the main culprits blocked. This may mean I miss out on seeing new releases but if I'm interested I can unblock posts selectively.

Perhaps screenies should be forced to be displayed as thumbnails where users can make them larger if it takes their fancy.

Wow Tom, what a good post. Honestly in my case when I post a screenie (and that's my main area of contribution) I want recognition, worship and as many good comments as I can get! I put up my screenies before I hit the sack and before breakfast I'm eagerly checking for any good/kind comments (I know they'll all be good). So far I've had very few negative comments because apparantley I'm brilliant and that's the way I want it to stay. Any negative comments about my screenies and I'll start commenting on your grammar.....................:):unsure:

I think the screenshot area of the forum stands for more than just posting screenshots in itself. I personally like going to this part of the forum very much and enjoy looking through ALL the shots. It's a great place to hang out and its here I have made many great friends. I think that in itself stands for a lot more.

At the end of the day, if you like to view forum members screenshots, then go there. If you don't, then no one is forcing you. It's much like the 'Egg Beaters' area of the forum. I dont think I have ever visited this part of the forum, but that is my choice as I have no interest there, yet nothing against those who do.

Life is too short to worry about these things, as long as its creating good, isn't it all that matters?

On a side note, in regards to bandwidth, thumbs etc etc. Those suggestions were part of the Orbx forums years and years ago, limiting the amount of shots per post did not work because people would just open multiple posts, which is more annoying, besides bandwidth is in the 21st century now, a few screens won't hurt anyone.

Thumbnails, people did not like them because they HAD to click to see what was going on.

The format we use has been like this since January 3rd 2009 and (here comes the cliche ;) ) I am not going to fix something that is not broken

Thank you for the suggestions and feedback though :)

Interesting topic. I do post a number of screens, I try to limit them to what I consider the best shots. I have reduced them number I post as I found I was spending more time on photo posting than flying.

I have no problem with constructive comments, anything that helps me improve is worth it. I enjoy posting and looking at what others achieve and frequently go off and fly areas to see how my version of FTX compares. And also enjoy tinkering both with FTX and photos to see how close you can get to reality. If that is not your thing then it is quite easy to filter out the choice is yours

I for one would also welcome constructive feedback on my screenshots as I would love to improve the quality I get, tempered of course with smoothness of flying in the sim.

Personally I never thought this kind of convo would come up,the truth for me is it is here that I found out about what plane looked right for me.For example I often ask where is that?I know it is ORBX but I am relatively new with Flight Simulation.I discovered OZX here,Carenado here,QW and so on,it also really gave me an outlet of exploration.My son has AUTISM and sits with me looking at screen shots,he can not talk but smiles if he likes it,I agree with the musicians being a drummer of 20 years and yes sometimes I say something simple like awesome shot mate.Basically because that is what pops into my head at the time and I go with the flow, constructive criticism can be good or bad but like so many others have written the level of experience,add ons like rex surely make a difference in quality.My favourite airport freeware and it is YRED. After I purchased FSX Gold it did not seem good enough so I searched Aussie scenery,found SP4 paid for it and have gone from there.I hope the experienced simmers out there realise that people like me rely on there knowledge,rely on there screenshots for inspiration and being someone who when working makes my employer as much money as possible I am a firm believer of a business that has self promotion,and I know orbx ain't the boss but it is your screenshots simmers that encouraged me to buy SP4,and so forth.Surely we are helping orbx grow,and be bothered to outlay costs so we get to enjoy new regions,airports utilities.Imagine the amount of screenshots when FTX Global comes out! I can not wait to see em eh.Cheers Richard

Mmmm... I have something to say because I have to deal with something similar each day.

Screen shot are nice and easy to take, you don't like... well change tread or page. I hate criticisms period unless it's super friendly, funny or the other guys knows what his talking about. Otherwise I say shut up! Let me tell you why, my own web site contain over 40,000 images, pages and pages of FREE information regarding mechanical ans restoration stuff... AGAIN, it's FREE.

Let me show you an example, on the following page I FREELY explain how to replace fuel line so your van won't go into flame:

http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm

Do you think I will take bad criticisms, or worse, that my English OR/AND French is not perfect... NO.

Unless you send me a corrected text with improvement just don't!

BUT, if your polite and nice and give some RELEVANT advice's I'll embrace them.

With Internet it's so easy to bash people.

I come here because in general people are amazing and there is NO bashing but only constructive stuff.

I just posted a video about the amazing Cardiff, work many hours on this one... on top it was 1.4g so I had to leave my work computer all night so it could upload.

http://www.orbxsyste...ardiff-tribute/

That was done for fun first and second to show a new scenery that as not much video done about it.

If I get bad comment I will simply never post a vid again.

I'm sure that we would get more amateur video if people stay nice and constructive.

Image of video don't need to be top notch, they scan be very informative but not a show stopper.

The first comment was:

"""""nice..shame about the stutters! we all suffer with that, i do have a more powerful system than yours and still after all the money and time which i put in it i do get show stopper stutters!"""""

That is a constructive and polite comment. I know I have some stutters and can get rid of it, this guys as a more powerful machine and as similar issue.

On a last note, I have some not so good screen shot of wales but I don't know where to post them, they would certainly help making the scenery better with time but I'm afraid that it may also make people not want to buy whale. That said I have some AMAZING shot of wales also and wale is amazing in general.

I don't feel qualified to be constructive (but I may do it anyway from time to time) and I dont want to be negative. I always try to be kinda artistic with my shots. Ill be flying and it will look good and Ill hit the v key. I hit the v key far too much. and then I cant decide which pics are good. Ill often see something while flying and it will look right...the sun will be on the aircraft and the ground just so and the clouds will be there and Ill see a tractor trailor on the highway thru the crossbars of my biplane...I take the pic and post it and I doubt anyone ever notices why I actually took the pic. If I wait too long, I sometimes wonder why I took the pic myself. But if it looks good, I'll post it.

But I have my opinions and my eyesight and my machine...and I know others have their opinions and their eyesight and their machines...

They have extreme blurries and they may not notice or they may not have the machine to overcome it or they may have chosen less scenery so they can run a complicated aircraft...I just dont know.

They have clouds that I think look terrible...Ill bet they think my clouds look terrible too! Oh well. and dont we all suffer the bad clouds issue with FSX/P3D? the sim just seems to choose ugly from time to time. Why reddish grey is the go to color, I will never know. clouds are blue.

and this thing about antialiasing...I have bad eyesight and I dont even notice things like that half the time. I think Im Blessed. I enjoy most of what I see. so I couldnt really be constructive even. I just say nothing or say something positive. My opinion of whats good keeps changing anyway so what do I know?

I too post quite a number of screenies and I apologize but i really love it. It has became part of the flightsim experience. It is the screenies here that have pushed me to make my sim better and better. You see a nice screen shot from Iain(you ROCK by the way), Eric, etc and you are like "Wow that is amazing looking", I wish my sim looked like that. I was always afraid to tinker with the fsx.cfg file and use nVidia Inspector but now I am glad I did. FSX is now better than ever on my PC and I have a "modest" PC for sure. I figured if ORBX thought the screenshot load was too large they would let us know. I love seeing ALL screens here. I too have found different planes, airports and areas that I probably would have never seen had it not been for screenies here. And by all means if something is not right with my shots, let me know. I have found all kinds of different problems with my scenery and such by people seeing my screens and letting me know. I posted a weeks worth of screens before and REX was not even turned on and i thought it was. And then recently someone suggested I turn up the autogen and I did and it was awesome. So personally I'd say post away. I LOVE THEM ALL..........

WOW, there are a lot of musicians in here. I am a drummer now for 40 years and own a home recording studio. Wicked cool......

Mmmm... I have something to say because I have to deal with something similar each day.

Screen shot are nice and easy to take, you don't like... well change tread or page. I hate criticisms period unless it's super friendly, funny or the other guys knows what his talking about. Otherwise I say shut up! Let me tell you why, my own web site contain over 40,000 images, pages and pages of FREE information regarding mechanical ans restoration stuff... AGAIN, it's FREE.

Let me show you an example, on the following page I FREELY explain how to replace fuel line so your van won't go into flame:

http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm

Do you think I will take bad criticisms, or worse, that my English OR/AND French is not perfect... NO.

Unless you send me a corrected text with improvement just don't!

BUT, if your polite and nice and give some RELEVANT advice's I'll embrace them.

With Internet it's so easy to bash people.

I come here because in general people are amazing and there is NO bashing but only constructive stuff.

I just posted a video about the amazing Cardiff, work many hours on this one... on top it was 1.4g so I had to leave my work computer all night so it could upload.

http://www.orbxsyste...ardiff-tribute/

That was done for fun first and second to show a new scenery that as not much video done about it.

If I get bad comment I will simply never post a vid again.

I'm sure that we would get more amateur video if people stay nice and constructive.

Image of video don't need to be top notch, they scan be very informative but not a show stopper.

The first comment was:

"""""nice..shame about the stutters! we all suffer with that, i do have a more powerful system than yours and still after all the money and time which i put in it i do get show stopper stutters!"""""

That is a constructive and polite comment. I know I have some stutters and can get rid of it, this guys as a more powerful machine and as similar issue.

On a last note, I have some not so good screen shot of wales but I don't know where to post them, they would certainly help making the scenery better with time but I'm afraid that it may also make people not want to buy whale. That said I have some AMAZING shot of wales also and wale is amazing in general.

This has nothing to do with your post but your signature pic... I like that. Can you tell me where and when it was taken? Those trees off to the left are the most realistic representation of winter trees that I have seen. Thats what pre snow wintertime looks like where I grew up in northeast US.

This has nothing to do with your post but your signature pic... I like that. Can you tell me where and when it was taken? Those trees off to the left are the most realistic representation of winter trees that I have seen. Thats what pre snow wintertime looks like where I grew up in northeast US.

Some 20 years ago, maybe 15. It's one of a bunch of non digital picture that I have in a box. I have scan those 5-6 years ago.

Can't tell you where or when and even which plane it was, all I know is that I took those when doing my private so it as to be in Quebec Canada. In my private I have flown 152-172-183 P140-P160 and arrow.

Some 20 years ago, maybe 15. It's one of a bunch of non digital picture that I have in a box. I have scan those 5-6 years ago.

Can't tell you where or when and even which plane it was, all I know is that I took those when doing my private so it as to be in Quebec Canada. In my private I have flown 152-172-183 P140-P160 and arrow.

OK, well then...no wonder the treees look real. I thought it was flight sim :unsure: I guess I wont go searching for it in Orbxland. (but I swear Ive seen something like that somewhere)

Consider very carefully how something MIGHT be interpreted before posting.

This might be considered in the same ballpark as making a suggestion about your fiancé's mother's cooking.

Often due praise, with gentle advice is best. Read and re-read before posting.

Remember that it is very easy to mis-perceive forum posts (particularly sarcasm springs to mind)

On the flip side, apparently impolite comments are best ignored, and left to stand as they are. So, OP's are best to ignore rather than retort!

(Frankly offensive comments can expect to mysteriously vanish.)

Some great points here and a great discussion. I agree with John Lovell's post, having been in a similar musical situation with a punter who was absolutely terrible that would come up and play and sing with us. Moral of the story was, he was slightly disabled (brain injury) after a car accident and had never picked up a guitar before the accident. His lyrics were hilarious, but his guitar playing and voice were a little on the average side, but when people found out that he was slightly disabled, the group of regulars were giving him more and more encouragement and cheering him on all the way through.

I see similar things here on the forum where people may be completely inexperienced in flight simming, however, the words of encouragement and the learning that they do just from seeing others posts is very evident. That's what makes this community one of the best places on the net for flightsim and I would dare to say the most community oriented and busiest company forum around.

I'll use simmo for an example (captnsully). His shots when he first started posting were always very dark to the point I wondered how he flew in the daytime with it being so dark. But he got a lot of encouragement on the forums and also learned about enb and installed it and as soon as that happened the very next day his shots were awesome and just kept getting better.

To share my own experience. I've always been terrible at screenshots but when I took up aircraft painting. Orbx was gracious enough to allow me to post pictures of all my latest helicopter paints and the encouragement was enough that I kept at it and then moved into further flightsim development areas.

The more holistic point I am trying to make is, criticism may scare people off who may end up contributing greatly to the entire fs community. That is something I would always consider before posting criticism, as we know, in fs ad other areas there are always the nay sayer "couch commandos" who could always do it better, prettier or faster than you, even though they never have nor will ever contribute like some do in our hobby :)

A rare foray out of the screenshots section for me. My two bob/five cents worth...

You'll find a screenshots thread on any sim, game or add-on site. Not because the developers want to encourage the aristic prowess of the participants, but because, at the end of the day, screenies are a great free advert. They shift more units. They enable potential customers to see what's on offer. I reckon that's a good thing. Indeed, screenies on this site have enabled me to decide in what order I purchase Orbx products. And I'm going to purchase them all - let's get my 'loyalist' credentials out of the way.

I'm not touting myself as an unpaid advertiisng executive - I love taking screenies, and I'm not the only one, it can all get very addictive - the way it works ties in very neatly with my membership of a not-so-sinister sub-cult within a niche market. I laughed out loud at boetie's post above - it struck a chord with me, and I daresay a few other screenshooting addicts; I like the comparison with 'Jam Nite' in the pub, too - although in my case I'm the one who has a couple too many and thinks he's Brook Benton (I have the incredible vocal range, unfortunately coupled with an equally incredibe lack of control over it - the muso's here might know what I'm on about, but I digress). I fully endorse Ryan's last paragraph, immediately above. It's great to belong a friendly, polite and non-judgemental international community - sharing and appreciating efforts just for the sake of it. Long may it continue.

That's not to say there's no room for improvement - I think you'll find that most screenshooters (got to be a better word out there) are their own greatest critics - of the tens, probably hundreds of thousands of screenies I've captured over the years, I've taken what I consider a handful of 'just perfect' shots, and that might well have something to do with the law of averages catching up with me. My 'just perfect' is all a matter of opinion, of course - we recently had a screenshot thread that highlighted what one person might think a 'filler' is another person's 'best of the bunch'. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

So there you have it, just a contribution with my take on things. But bear in mind any forum woth its' salt relies on contributions and different takes. Keep 'em coming chaps! :)

Archived