Oh no! We´re flying with the Germans!

Stillwater

We had booked an early morning flight with Mule Air Services to see the Aurora Borealis. But then...

QP0NJiB.jpg

... they had rebooked us!

6YiTryr.jpg

At least the weather looked promising...

KlGuXJy.jpg

Narvik in its beauty.

psMx9kZ.jpg

But no polar lights...

6XqrsIX.jpg

The sun was rising over Sorkjosen...

R7VxS6x.jpg

... and Alta.

3AYQd12.jpg

Lu3NoH7.jpg

The scheduled approach over Kvalöya island...

DUBCBZi.jpg

... into Hammerfest. I need to check the polar light timing again. And I need to find out why the Mule flight was cancelled today!

qfYMLFR.jpg

Diese Bildschirmfotos sind toll! Die Werbung aber nicht so viel :P

Great pics! 
The lack of Northern Lights is something I've experienced IRL many, many times. This exposition should therefore be commended for its realism!

Your best yet! And thank you for finally making fun of this unbearable commercial.

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Narvik in its beauty.

psMx9kZ.jpg

LH announced it would be cutting funds not only for the Constellation project, but also for the Ju52 foundation. Quite a bitter sweet sight to see an oldtimer aircraft in LH colours now. Outstanding shot though.

4 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

Well Gerold what fantastic set of shots my friend and i enjoyed your flight regards EMM

Thank you Stewart. I enjoy your return to southern Europe mountain flying as well!

4 hours ago, JMBIII said:

Nothing like a flight in a lovely DC-3. Great shots ! (and commercial )

Thanks for watching all that stuff above - and for your comment, JMB!

4 hours ago, BradB said:

Wunderbar aufnahmen Herr Gerold . :):rolleyes::D

Prost

Johann

My pleasure, Johann, und vielen Dank!

3 hours ago, F737NG said:

Diese Bildschirmfotos sind toll! Die Werbung aber nicht so viel :P
Great pics! 
The lack of Northern Lights is something I've experienced IRL many, many times. This exposition should therefore be commended for its realism!

Well, the advertisement is just an advertisement - in reality you have to compare them in the respective service levels.

Re the northern light timing: I have now learned the highest probability is between 9 pm and 1:30 am, I´ll try that next time...

3 hours ago, M110A2 said:

Another great flight, and you know we'll be here for more.

I´ll enjoy them, be it flying myself or "just" watching someone else´s posts.

2 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Ah, you have done it yet again, Master Screenshooter. Every shot a perfect use of scenery and plane, and the whole a wonderful entertainment. I'm sure that Mule Team sees your Lufthansa Team as a peer (that's a compliment, I think).

Thanks for your compliment, Rodger. At least I got some training lessons on a similar plane like the famous Alaskan idol.

1 hour ago, Orbxtreme said:

Superb light in there Gerold, great idea!

Thank you Francois. I think one needs to fly in twilight up there...!

1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

Your best yet! And thank you for finally making fun of this unbearable commercial.

Thanks Lars... and I love this commercial playing with stereotypes!

1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

LH announced it would be cutting funds not only for the Constellation project, but also for the Ju52 foundation. Quite a bitter sweet sight to see an oldtimer aircraft in LH colours now. Outstanding shot though.

I have read this next step of cost-cutting, too. And I do not like it: Either they maintain their brand and show that they are able & willing to have extra expenses for their (vintage) planes, or they run into a simple cost-cutting and low-price contest (which they´d lose).

16 hours ago, Stillwater said:

and I love this commercial playing with stereotypes

I'm German and yet I am not Lufthansa, so I don't understand the point of this commercial. That there's no other German airline than Lufthansa or LH owned subsidiaries meanwhile?

This is arguably worse:

Sorry, I didn't find an all english version. They are all afraid because the old dragon is on it's way to the office in New York. Everyone pees his pants, but then the young lady comes into the meeting room and announces "She's flying with the Germans", and everyone is suddenly relieved. Sure it must be because of the extra load of.. what? Piefke-Ambiente?

16 hours ago, Stillwater said:

and I love this commercial playing with stereotypes!

The German comedy stereotypes (anti German resentments in reality, boiled down to unpleasant people) in the first part are counteracted by the nice, beautiful and so distinctively non-german stewardess (looks, language) in the second part. So what this commercial really does is saying, "hey, we are not as German as you may think". Thus, it is not "playing" with stereotypes, let alone disproving them, in fact, it is perpetrating them. It would have been "playing with stereotypes" if the not-so-nice German lady from the first part would have appeared in the second part, being nice, friendly and polite and maybe having a German accent.

In my opinion, this commercial is the most thoughtless I can think of. Pardon, ze most soughtless I can sink of. I can only imagine that LH wanted to save the money on a proper PR company and did it themselves. This method tends to lead to desaster. Or wait, maybe I just don't understand it. After all we Germans are renown for our lack of humour... :wacko::unsure::ph34r:

18 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Exquisite and most delightful Gerold!

Thank you Jack.

17 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots indeed Gerold. Sorry we couldn't book your passengers on the Mule Team. We holidayed in Texas. However after a few fermented cactus juice flavored beverages we did see the Northern Light quite clearly:P:rolleyes::D

Hmm, I understand. that is the way to see the northern lights! As fermented drinks are VERY expensive in Norway, maybe we did not have enough standing to wait for the lights to appear :D.

14 hours ago, adambar said:

Wise decision to switch airlines Gerold. :D  Anyway, great set of captures! :)

Thank you Adam!

7 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great set of shots. 

cheers 

Iain 

Thanks Iain...

7 hours ago, flsm (Frank) said:

Lovely wintery scenes.  Cheers.

Thank you Frank. After all you can be sure to find winter scenery up there now.

3 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

I'm German and yet I am not Lufthansa, so I don't understand the point of this commercial. That there's no other German airline than Lufthansa or LH owned subsidiaries meanwhile?

This is arguably worse:

Sorry, I didn't find an all english version. They are all afraid because the old dragon is on it's way to the office in New York. Everyone pees his pants, but then the young lady comes into the meeting room and announces "She's flying with the Germans", and everyone is suddenly relieved. Sure it must be because of the extra load of.. what? Piefke-Ambiente?

I could not "like" your comment Lars, as the commercial is indeed confusing. Not only the intention (why should flying the this airline be resulting in more soft behaviour?), but also the presentation of LHs business class as such: According to my experience (and there is some...) they have designed one of the worst current biz seats & cabins. Even the announced renewal for 2022 does only look better for their platinum guests. And in about 33 % of my flights in that class the crew was disappointing me in terms of service.

9 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Sorry to hear this Lars.  I found it funny in its own way and felt no insult to German people at all. 

Thanks. I don't feel that much insulted, but rather ashamed. Lufthansa force-represents me ("the Germans") as a cliché Bavarian Beerfest visitor, and I am not even from Bavaria. This is everything that LH accomplishes with this commercial, it's cheap and thoughtless. Not funny!

We Germans believe that we fail at humour, because the Brits told us so. Another generalization. Now we have to react and make a cheesy commercial. To win this war of humour? Talk about humour with a crowbar. I think I'm failing at taking this humorously.

7 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I could not "like" your comment Lars, as the commercial is indeed confusing. Not only the intention (why should flying the this airline be resulting in more soft behaviour?), but also the presentation of LHs business class as such: According to my experience (and there is some...) they have designed one of the worst current biz seats & cabins. Even the announced renewal for 2022 does only look better for their platinum guests. And in about 33 % of my flights in that class the crew was disappointing me in terms of service.

It was an example of an LH commercial that is different but stupid, too. They rejoice about the news that she would be flying with "the Germans" because "the Germans" would have sure handed her enough Leberkäs and Weizenbier to make it relaxed over the Atlantic. That would have been funny, actually, or at least self-confident.

Back in the 'Russian airspace is closed' days, Lufthansa and other European carriers flying great circle to the Orient had to refuel at Anchorage.  Had they tried nonstop, their passenger loads would have been nonprofit.  As an employee at Anchorage Tracon, Lufthansa was one of our favorites - no unusual requests too unusual and they always had the 'flick'.  The 'Germans' the Brits' and the 'Dutch' were the best.

9 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Back in the 'Russian airspace is closed' days, Lufthansa and other European carriers flying great circle to the Orient had to refuel at Anchorage.  Had they tried nonstop, their passenger loads would have been nonprofit.  As an employee at Anchorage Tracon, Lufthansa was one of our favorites - no unusual requests too unusual and they always had the 'flick'.  The 'Germans' the Brits' and the 'Dutch' were the best.

Lovely memories - caused by the unlovely restrictions of the cold war...!

On 2/8/2019 at 5:40 PM, Captain Lars said:

I don't feel that much insulted, but rather ashamed

From the sarcastic Mule Team captain. Lars don't be ashamed in the least bit. People say: German jokes are the "wurst".:D But many of them are just simply funny:) 

A fantastic set Gerold with my favourite LH livery.

Some outstanding images especially climbing out of Narvik.

I have always liked the commercial but I could never understand, why would the young German kid be reminding the England fan of the 4 goals England scored on 30th July 1966!:huh:

10 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A fantastic set Gerold with my favourite LH livery.

Some outstanding images especially climbing out of Narvik.

Thank you Martyn, indeed livery & scenery are a great pleasure nowadays.

I have always liked the commercial but I could never understand, why would the young German kid be reminding the England fan of the 4 goals England scored on 30th July 1966!:huh:

Yes I like these details like the Sauerkraut breakfast (which is then exchanged for an overseas biz class meal...). 

At least this kid could still count up to 4!

But what are you saying about ...

4 goals England scored on 30th July 1966

...? It was only 3, according to the video umpires :D!

22 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you Martyn, indeed livery & scenery are a great pleasure nowadays.

Yes I like these details like the Sauerkraut breakfast (which is then exchanged for an overseas biz class meal...). 

At least this kid could still count up to 4!

But what are you saying about ...

...? It was only 3, according to the video umpires :D!

The golden rule, always play to the whistle!

Archived