I know i am gertting old because

teecee

I have to be brutally honest here.. I am finding the general forums boring in the most part.. mainly due to the fact that I have a sim I am very happy with, ( I stopped upgrading at Prepar3d v3.4)

and most of the postings are for sims and systems I have no interest in. (massive photoreal, and masks over the face and such)..I check the forums still, but rarely find a topic that interests me.

To be honest, I miss the fun and camaraderie  of the old days..

I read the forums at least four or five times a day, but rarely find a topic heading I would want to read or that I am interested in.. Don't get me wrong, I love the sim, and I love Orbx and all they have done for our sims, and will continue to purchase anything that will work in my sim.

I know I am a grumpy old fart, and this in itself givers me the right to post this, but I am wondering if anyone else feels this way? Terry.

20 minutes ago, teecee said:

I have to be brutally honest here.. I am finding the general forums boring in the most part.. mainly due to the fact that I have a sim I am very happy with, ( I stopped upgrading at Prepar3d v3.4)

and most of the postings are for sims and systems I have no interest in. (massive photoreal, and masks over the face and such)..I check the forums still, but rarely find a topic that interests me.

I read the forums at least four or five times a day, but rarely find a topic heading I would want to read or that I am interested in.. Don't get me wrong, I love the sim, and I love Orbx and all they have done for our sims, and will continue to purchase anything that will work in my sim.

I know I am a grumpy old fart, and this in itself givers me the right to post this, but I am wondering if anyone else feels this way? Terry.

Nope, sorry, Terry.  There is still much interesting stuff, imo.

I'm with you Terry. In fact, there are days when I wish I could just walk away. But.....I guess it's too late for that. I've been in the flightsim game since 1982 and I'll probably be here for a while longer. I'm approaching 80 and there are many things I find not so important any more. I guess it's just a sign of old age. There are few things I find that are really of interest in the forums. I try to help where I can but most of what's posted is like a replay of an old movie.....I've seen it all before. I'm going to turn off my grumpy mode now and pour myself a double Jack-on-the-rocks, or maybe two, and find a good book to read...................Doug 

2 hours ago, teecee said:

2 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Nope, sorry, Terry.  There is still much interesting stuff, imo.

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

I'm with you Terry. In fact, there are days when I wish I could just walk away. But.....I guess it's too late for that. I've been in the flightsim game since 1982 and I'll probably be here for a while longer. I'm approaching 80 and there are many things I find not so important any more. I guess it's just a sign of old age. There are few things I find that are really of interest in the forums. I try to help where I can but most of what's posted is like a replay of an old movie.....I've seen it all before. I'm going to turn off my grumpy mode now and pour myself a double Jack-on-the-rocks, or maybe two, and find a good book to read...................Doug 

My solution is that I can't leave it alone. So I tweak this, change that , "fix" this and along the way have to spend lots of time on the forums reading up on things that have nothing to do with I screwed up , but are really interesting all the same. And yes I do eventually get it changed back to where I startedB)

Reminds me of my dear old papa and his old ford. Every weekend on the Saturday he would spend most of the morning tweaking this and that on the carburetor, until late on a Saturday he would announce that he had done wonders and we would all see on the Sunday family outing how his mechanical acumen had turned a tired out 4 cylinder into a raging beast.

Well it always seemed to be about the same, but me and my brother would never say anything , because we knew if we did, there would be no ice creams and that was the whole point of the drive in our minds.:)

During the week , he would keep readjusting until my Mother was convinced and announce to all that the car was running just fine now, because it was back where it was on last Friday before "your father" had a go at it.

Like father , like son I guess  :rolleyes:

Cheers

R

Hi Terry.

I agree with you. I find the support forums, in particular very boring. Members just post their problems without bothering to read previous posts or search the forums for the answer. There are pinned items which have the answers to a lot of support topics that members don't even bother reading. The "OrbxDirect and FTX Central 3 Support Forum" is a case in point. There is a full forum page of pinned topics which cover every possible answer to these support topics. You have to go to the second page to even see any new topics.

Another pet peeve of mine is members asking for release dates. If a project is one day overdue from a previously best guess completion date, a member will ask for an update and is it still being worked on. Please moderators, just delete the offending posts.

I really only check the forums to see what new releases are coming and what has been released.

I do like ORBX scenery and am waiting patiently for Australia V2 and maybe Perth Airport when Jarrad Marshal finishes it (I hope he has already started it it (hint)).

Cheers

Bernie

I've given ole AVSIM a long term break, I got an email from them saying I was rude and to apologize, then I guess they removed that warning as I wasn't really being rude. I just found the entire thing bizarre like how China does behavior modifications by rewarding good behavior and limiting freedoms for bad behavior. Not upset just I can only say one word about it.....BIZARRE

Anyhow, nothing says freedom like freedom to choose or freedom to choose not.   :D

My experience is that life returns what you bring to it. If you bring the expectation of being bored, you will be bored. If you bring the expectation of finding enjoyment, you will find enjoyment. Insofar as simulated flight is concerned, I seem always bring a sense of wonder to it. I can't believe that I get to "fly' over such interesting territory in such an interesting plane. Insofar as the Forums are concerned, I bring an eagerness to interact with friends, see some great screenshots and videos, and maybe learn something I didn't know. Please understand that I am sympathetic to those who find that this particular fire is sputtering down to a coal. If it has run its course for you, it has run its course. Time to look elsewhere. Or, maybe, try bringing a different mindset to the experience.

Hello Gentlemen,

Some support topics are indeed dry and most certainly there are some replies that I must

have typed or copied or directed the customer to a pinned topic thousands of times.

This small section of the forums is yours to do with as you wish, within the rules of course.

If you want to make it entertaining, as it often is, please go ahead.

As Rodger writes, the more that is put in, the more there is to take out. :)

1 hour ago, teecee said:

I expected a berating over this post. Surprisingly this did not happen..  Thanks for letting  me put my pointy of view and discussing it rationally.. Terry..

teecee, no one deserves berating for simply expressing an opinion. To be honest, my reaction to your post was surprise. You are one of the people I look forward to seeing put up a post. Your screenshots are always good, and you have a wonderful sense of humor. You may be bored, my friend, but you are never boring. ;)

Thanks Roger.. I was only expressing my opinion..and I stick by my initial comments. I still love my sim, and it's fabulous scenery, and I fly almost every day, but honestly, I probably  only open about half a dozen post each day as I have no interest in the majority of the posts or subjects, whereas in the past I would spend a lot of time reading almost everything that was posted.. This is  not a criticism of Orbx, or the Forums, it's simply my opinion of the way things are heading for me personally. Terry.

I am still relatively new to orbx and am still loving orbx and this forum.  I love learning, seeing what’s new, seeing pics, solving my problems, seeing others’ problems etc etc.  I particularly like the few guys who comment on almost every pic - how very, very nice, but how do they find the time to do it!  But I fully understand how one’s view of the forum would change over time and with age in many ways and for many reasons.  One’s view of the forum is a very subjective thing - no right or wrong.  I think as we get older we probably need to have a strong range of interests/hobbies/activities/whatever alongside the forum.  Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

I share much of TeeCee’s ennui.  It has much to do with age and technical depth in my case.  I differ on one thing though, when I give up on upgrading P3D then I will give up simming....maybe the occasional new things add little but they are generally cumulative.  But TC I agree, to read endless posts about code changes and the inner examination of the bowels of the sim, leaves me cold.  These discussions may help the developers a little, but for me I simply skip, no, jump over them.  For me in these fora, the Neil Hill column and the Screenshots are sufficient to keep me in touch with my remote and un-met friends (including you TC) who help make life pleasant.

I haven't been around here that long, but am finding myself coming around less and less. I feel like I'm being left in the dust as everyone moves on to bigger and better things. I can't afford to throw $1000 at a new GPU, plus more for bigger SSDs, so will likely crawl away and be happy once Australia v2 is released.

Patful, in spite of what I said, please note that you can get good advice in the General and specific support columns.  And good people like the occasionally grumpy Nick give really good advice, and readable.  And also fear not, there are an awful lot of people like you, who have lower spec rigs and still can get advice, and lots of fun from earlier versions.  Like you my tongue hangs out for Aus v2,  and also the P3D version of GB North for ethnic reasons.  Just enjoy simming within your means.

"Just enjoy simming within your means"

well said.

The model T was a great car and very innovative at the time ... it still brings joy to those who have one.

Some dont want a model T also .

I've seen you guys around for many years , mostly through Ozx and you guys pushed invation and helpful stories . so great respect for that .

Maybe just time to enjoy siimming now .

Hi Terry,

This is about the only forum I visit as I find many other websites boring. I spend most of my time just flying FSX (Steam Edition) these days with lots of Scenery and Aircraft add-ons from FTX :).

I'm here to enjoy FSX and that's what it's all about.... enjoyment :-)

Mind you oneday I would like to do some online flights with someone else.

Cheers,

James

On 2/24/2019 at 5:49 PM, patful said:

I haven't been around here that long, but am finding myself coming around less and less. I feel like I'm being left in the dust as everyone moves on to bigger and better things. I can't afford to throw $1000 at a new GPU, plus more for bigger SSDs, so will likely crawl away and be happy once Australia v2 is released.

Patful, I started to feel that way as I watched the mass movement to P3D and XPlane and the True Earth scenery, etc, etc. The new screenshots are so far advanced from anything I can produce with my basic FSX  that it's like comparing Kodak Box-camera prints with state-of-the-art CGI. But then I discovered two things---First, no one on the ORBX forums ever puts me down for being in last place technologically. Two, I can still do some things with FSX that add to the community--in my case, giving tours of ORBX freeware offerings that few otherwise would see. So I concluded that I could still be part of the gang and bring what I could bring and be just as welcome as if I were one of our high-system, professional-quality experts (who, by the way, have been among the most supportive of my horse-and-buggy). Stay with it, Patful, enjoy what your system allows, and be assured that the ORBX Forum gang will have your back..

Patful, I am right there with you..I stopped upgrading at Prepar3d v3.4. and was feeling a bit left behind, but that  soon passed for me as I am totally happy with my sim as it is now..If additional files show up in an area that I fly in and that my system can handle I will probably grab them, but chasing  the latest in sims is not for me..

I got lucky yesterday when I found a website that had eight Aussie addon airports that Orbx (or anyone else for that matter I think) have not touched.. Freeware to boot.. what a treat. Terry..

PS I would be happy to post the website and name the strips if the Ozx moderators are up for it..T.

I'm with you Terry, P3Dv4 suits me just fine.  Its the scenery I'm flying over that interests me, but I'm done with downloading that now too.  Perhaps if Orbx were to bring out more  for the U.S., I could be tempted, or some of the Eastern European or Asiatic Countries. I would like to fly in the Far East but the default P3D for China is laughable, as I suspect it is for all those Countries.

I very rarely now go to the Support section but its nice to know its there to help if and when I need it.  I do enjoy reading what you lot are doing, or, not doing.  In my case I still get satisfaction from flying short hops, perhaps 100 to t50 miles, and having traversed the each sides of the U.S right to left and left to right and south to north, I'm just finishing the north to south.  All this without taking off or landing at the same airport twice, its been interesting to say the least.  I did the same with Australia and New Zealand  and Western Europe.

Perhaps I should explain that where Orbx isn't available, I have photo scenery overlaid with 'Landscapes' and as many Orbx airports as I can find.  Its surprisig how very nicely it all matches together.

Perhaps, when in the next week or so, I've finished all that, I'll be looking around for some different flights.  I'm presently hooked on reading westerns, mainly by C.J Petit, and I'm going to start flying some of the journeys he describes where the characters travelled by horse.  Some of them taking weeks! 

John

I think that a lot of us forget that this is a company forum... including myself. ORBX are very  kind to let us derive sometime, as an example creating that section on their company forum.

Maybe you should find a community forum, a Facebook group???

My mom is close to 78, she is loosing sight slowly, she can really read and do other hobby like she could, my neighbor and friend is 82, he can't drive no more so I do drive him a few time a week. Another friend his starting Alzheimer. 

I feel that Teecee you are able to still do a lot? I don't even now people personally that after 70 are even using a computer... So I am impress by you gentlemen.

Have a good day

Ben

3 hours ago, Benny said:

I think that a lot of us forget that this is a company forum... including myself. ORBX are very  kind to let us derive sometime, as an example creating that section on their company forum.

Maybe you should find a community forum, a Facebook group???

My mom is close to 78, she is loosing sight slowly, she can really read and do other hobby like she could, my neighbor and friend is 82, he can't drive no more so I do drive him a few time a week. Another friend his starting Alzheimer. 

I feel that Teecee you are able to still do a lot? I don't even now people personally that after 70 are even using a computer... So I am impress by you gentlemen.

Have a good day

Ben

Ben, there's a fun bit of background you might like to know. The General Discussion Forum was created by ORBX to allow members to "gather around the Coke machine" and talk about whatever they wanted to talk about. It became a popular place for chat and foolishness. Before too long, The Old Coots' Club was formed within the General Discussion to let Seniors laugh in the face of aging. About a year ago, a man named Neil Hill passed away. He had been a good and faithful friend to ORBX since the beginning, and The Old Coots' Club was renamed in his honor by ORBX. I say all that, Ben, to assure you that what you see here is a product of ORBX's own invitation for members to tell tall tales, share bad jokes, meander through various trivial topics, touch on topics that rattle our aging timbers, buck each other up, and in general enjoy the hell out of each other. ORBX not only tolerates this, ORBX created it and has shepherded it through the years. Thought you might enjoy learning that. :)

Archived