Tonight's the night .. TE GB!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ady7970 said:

Oh....maybe not.  It has to 'convert' the files once downloaded.  And that is going VERY slowly, even on a 10 core PC with the files on a 1TB NVME SSD.  Currently saying it'll take 4 hours.  So there goes being able to fly with this tonight :(

Did you have to trigger the unpacking of the files manually or did it crack-on once downloaded, was going to leave PC on to finish downloading (which will finish after I'm asleep) - so just wondering if I'll be stuck waiting all morning tomorrow for it to unpack (no problem if thats the case, just setting my expectations) :D

1 minute ago, Wonderbadger said:

Did you have to trigger the unpacking of the files manually or did it crack-on once downloaded, was going to leave PC on to finish downloading (which will finish after I'm asleep) - so just wondering if I'll be stuck waiting all morning tomorrow for it to unpack (no problem if thats the case, just setting my expectations) :D

It happens automatically - so should be good to go tomorrow morning.

@John Venema I've just loaded up the simulator for the first time and found that scenery_packs ordering is not quite right (none of my default airport buildings load up).  In my scenery_packs, I have Orbx in the following order:

Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/

Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay/

Global Airports

Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/

Can you please confirm the correct ordering?

4 minutes ago, ady7970 said:

@John Venema I've just loaded up the simulator for the first time and found that scenery_packs ordering is not quite right (none of my default airport buildings load up).  In my scenery_packs, I have Orbx in the following order:

Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/

Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay/

Global Airports

Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom/

Can you please confirm the correct ordering?

Correct order has to be:

Global Airports
Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom
Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay
Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos

…orthophoto/mesh sceneries must always go at the bottom, and the correct ordering for the ORBX stuff is given by the A, B and C in alphabetical order.

1 hour ago, ady7970 said:

Oh....maybe not.  It has to 'convert' the files once downloaded.  And that is going VERY slowly, even on a 10 core PC with the files on a 1TB NVME SSD.  Currently saying it'll take 4 hours.  So there goes being able to fly with this tonight :(

Weird... it must be something with the algorithm as converting compressed texture should not take that long... 

11 minutes ago, Trustdesa said:

Weird... it must be something with the algorithm as converting compressed texture should not take that long... 

I think they must have been the special microsoft minutes which can expand and contract as Microsoft is able to the laws of the universe - aka, it took Ady nowhere near as long as that to decompress the scenery :D

1 hour ago, Tim/Rodeo314 said:

So, how do we download this and how uncompress it if we're macOS-based please?

MacOS and Linux download zips coming in next 24-36 hours, please accept our apologies, we are trying to coordinate files between two continents 

1 hour ago, Tim/Rodeo314 said:

Correct order has to be:

Global Airports
Orbx_A_GB_South_TrueEarth_Custom
Orbx_B_GB_South_TrueEarth_Overlay
Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos

…orthophoto/mesh sceneries must always go at the bottom, and the correct ordering for the ORBX stuff is given by the A, B and C in alphabetical order.

Thank you - that worked perfectly.  Not sure why FTX Central put them where it did. 

How does not downloading overnight help with less download time?

It doesn't David, the only difference would be that when I got up it would have all been installed ready for me to fly.

Started the download at around 08.45 this morning and finished installing at 15.00hrs so lost a good six hours flying!! LOL.  

Regards

Nigel.

John & the rest of the ORBX Team

Thank you all for your great efforts. TrueEarth GB South is magnificent! What a fabulous achievement! The latest version of FTX Central worked a treat for me taking 2 hours to download at 4.5mb / sec. Installation and conversion took a further hour and a half.  But hey! was it worth the wait! The only downside was when I came to fly over the capital this afternoon in the Cessna Skyhawk, the weather especially imported from Manchester meant that I had to fly at 500 feet to keep below the cloud base.  Sadly the colours were literally washed out but the scenery detail looks fantastic. I can't wait for TE GB North so that I can see the area where I live. Any clues on timing of that release, he said impatiently?

On 10/14/2018 at 12:33 AM, Nigelhj said:

In my excitement I forgot the 'e'!!

I rather hope that this is not coming to a 'Mine is going to be better than yours' thread'!! Double LOL!! 

FS2 has way better frames than X-plane, that's just the truth. This is particularly apparent in VR. I've got the Netherlands TrueEarth for AF2, and performance is very good. I've also got TrueEarth UK south for X-plane. Performance is not bad at all for X-plane, but it's way down from what you'd see with AF2 (so VR is marginal, but viable). 

I'd note that I'm happily flying TrueEarth in X-plane, it's just different sims provide different benefits. FS2 is the performance and VR king right now. I fly X-plane way more than FS2 because overall, it works better for my needs. But a TrueEarth UK version for FS2 would be great, it really would add a lot to that sim as you can't really fly in that part of the world right now.

On 10/14/2018 at 1:28 AM, Trustdesa said:

Thank you for the update @John Venema

Looking forward to finally finish some of my own custom buildings farmstrips which I am preparing which I this point will make with this product in mind :) (less work for me too!)

These will fit amazingly and are all located in the south west :)

X-Plane Screenshot 2018.09.30 - 12.31.03.06.jpg

Looking good. Are any of these available yet? I enjoy flying in the southwest UK, I think these would add a great deal to the experience.

FS2 has way better frames than X-plane, that's just the truth. This is particularly apparent in VR. I've got the Netherlands TrueEarth for AF2, and performance is very good. I've also got TrueEarth UK south for X-plane. Performance is not bad at all for X-plane, but it's way down from what you'd see with AF2 (so VR is marginal, but viable). 

Hi Rob, my remark  "I rather hope that this is not coming to a 'Mine is going to be better than yours' thread'!! Double LOL!!" was purely in jest, I have been looking at AF2 for a while now and it was a choice between that and X Plane 11.  Every flight simulation on the market differs and the choice made is purely through preference equally, with more advances made by the developers there comes a time when one sim slightly gains on the other and vice-versa so it becomes swings and roundabouts. 

At the end of the day it is all about choice and what you are happy with and I'm very happy!!

Regards

Nigel.

On 10/13/2018 at 11:42 PM, John Venema said:

Hello all,

Just a quick update.

I think we are in a position to release tonight (Saturday night UK time).

• Full TE GB-S product build up on the servers and propagated to the CDN nodes - check!
  • Product page complete - check!
  • Email blast formatted and ready - check!
  • Release announcement formatted and ready - check!
  • Final tests of new FTX Central code - in progress.....

You will need to download a new version of FTX Central to be able to install TrueEarth GB South. This new version adds the new decompression system and other X-Plane specific functions. Be sure to upgrade FTXC before installing TE GB.

We are pretty pumped about this release - the "buzz" on forums, internet and social media is huge, and reminds us of the launch days of FTX Global.

Here's a quick straight V-key grab from my laptop whilst doing some final testing over EGHI an hour ago...

EGHI.png

Nice screencap. Cloud shadows add so much to this scenery's realism.

I flew this for a couple of hours last night, coincidentally starting at EGHI, and also covering a fair bit of ground over Cornwall.

I'm a VR flier, so for me performance is key. I'm happy to say that the overlay models seem fairly performance friendly. I could hold at 45 FPS in VR (Oculus, 1080Ti, 5820K@4.4) with some attention to the sliders. 

- Do any community members or testers have any tips for improving performance specific to this scenery? For example, I found that I had to turn objects well up to get a pleasing effect from TrueEarth UK, higher than I typically fly with. So I was wondering last night about trying to turn down traffic to get some frames back.

Some other comments:

- The 130 million trees are very well placed. Better than GBPro and the overlays that I've made in the past. This adds a lot to the experience, bad tree placement ruins immersion.

- I've tried this my own ZL17/18 ortho, and must say that the Orbx overlay works great (wasn't sure about color matching, but it's all good). 

Still lots to explore, TrueEarth south covers a lot of interesting parts of the UK. Off to to do some flying in the south of Wales now. :)

12 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

if you have bought the product you have access to the user guide.

Please take a look at it.

Thanks. Did not know it came with one but will look for it. In meantime I've inadvertently found the north border...just above Derby which I'm very happy with because I was hoping specifically that area was included! 

On 10/14/2018 at 8:08 AM, John Venema said:

MacOS and Linux download zips coming in next 24-36 hours, please accept our apologies, we are trying to coordinate files between two continents 

John, this is my first post on your Forum.  I recently joined Orbx because of you generally getting into XP and specifically, initially, for your TE GB South.  I am big-time on forums.x-plane.org and am watching out for comments on TE GB South.  The few comments so far seem to be a bit mixed,  but overall positive.  I emailed Orbx twice in recent months to say that people are going mad on XP with do-it-yourself photoscenery, and that you would probably make a killing if you got into it.  I also said that even people like me who do not go for payware much would certainly pay for good photoscenery.  But I am on a Mac and have to wail a little bit longer!  When I fly on Vatsim, most of the people I fly with regularly are on PCs, and I have only ever heard favourable comments from them about Orbx.  Anyway, I hope TE GB South for XP is working out for you.  I look forward to it, and probably some of your other stuff as well.  I expect to be able to sing your praises on forums.x-plane.org pretty soon.  Cheers.

Hi Frank, thanks for popping in to say hello :) 

The .org has been deleting posts about TE GB in their forums in the past few days; why they would stifle news and feedback about our product is anyone’s guess. Good luck with posting there.

A great source of screenshots, videos and (unbiased) reviews about TE GB is the X-Plane NG Facebook group https://m.facebook.com/groups/XPlaneNG

The feedback there is overwhelmingly positive, and even from long-time die-hard ortho4xp fans.

The MAC and Linux files should be ready very soon, we’re just waiting on Ben to land back in Australia after his UK trip to sort out the final technical bits, so won’t be long.

The .org has been deleting posts about TE GB in their forums in the past few days; why they would stifle news and feedback about our product is anyone’s guess. 

Wonder if that may-be due to some free-ware such as SimHeaven Europe as well as payware developers who may possibly see Orbx as some kind of risk to their add-ons.  Of course I could well be barking up the wrong tree but as you wrote  why would they stifle news and feedback?  Most probably they may view Orbx TE UK in some way as an invasion/threat to their marque and the thought of  losing out on the add-on scenery arena whereby they fear their dominance in X-Plane is being threatened which would be misguided to say the least. 

John, with so many threads it is hard to choose which one to say a big thank you to yourself and the Orbx Team for producing True Earth UK South.

I think it was sometime in December of last year that you posted the first screenshots of what we could expect for X Plane and other platforms in the near future, the fact that by the time of your announcement and from the screenshots a lot of work had already been accomplished and 10 months later we now have scenery that is 'As Real As It Gets.'

Just like to add my thanks to you and your team at Orbx for producing such wonderful scenery, I can't even imagine how hard and difficult at times it must have been especially concerning licences to use source imagery scenery and turn it into what it is today.   So a big thank you to all of you and really looking forward to further releases of TE UK.

Regards

Nigel.

I have been away for a few days, got this installed yesterday and today was the first chance to try......superb piece of work, I am really impressed with this......I live near EGGD and have just done a few circuits and the things I can spot is truly amazing and with good frames to, admittedly only in JF's Trinidad but settings as per your instruction.....I have Pilotplus EGGD and it sits nicely and doesn't look out of place, took a while to get the order right but worth the effort........just going cross country to EGHI now and it looks so much better.....

I thank you all at ORBX for the hard work you have done and I can't wait for more of the same......I new it would be quality as I have a boat load of your stuff for my P3D4 install....

It is a shame if they are deleting stuff over at the .org but I did think it was rather quiet......

Archived