Tonight's the night .. TE GB!

sorry for one more post,  it won't let me edit it again-    the temporary but incorrect "work around" is that i just placed the x-plane landmarks london folder back in,  so now i have all objects but yeah, still incorrect as intended  both in appearance and object count

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/16/2018 at 10:17 PM, John Venema said:

Hi Frank, thanks for popping in to say hello :) 

The .org has been deleting posts about TE GB in their forums in the past few days; why they would stifle news and feedback about our product is anyone’s guess. Good luck with posting there.

A great source of screenshots, videos and (unbiased) reviews about TE GB is the X-Plane NG Facebook group https://m.facebook.com/groups/XPlaneNG

The feedback there is overwhelmingly positive, and even from long-time die-hard ortho4xp fans.

The MAC and Linux files should be ready very soon, we’re just waiting on Ben to land back in Australia after his UK trip to sort out the final technical bits, so won’t be long.

John, finally got the Mac version of TE GB South for XP.  All simulations have some downsides but overall this is fantastic - and that's from someone who up to now has been a bit against payware!  I first tried your 3 free XP airports - was very impressed.  I then bought your Aussie YBRM Broome - again, very impressed.  And now TE GB South - very, very impressed.  With only 3 folders TE GB South allows me to delete scores of folders of ZonePhotos and other orthos and other specific scenery.  It probably frees up storage as well, but I have not checked that in detail yet.  TE GB South looks significantly better than what I had - worth every dollar.  Now to go sing your praises on the XP Forum where I am one of the big posters.  BTW, I have seen no evidence of the XP Forum deleting posts about TE GB South, but if I do I will take them to task.  If someone like me is prepared to spend money on Orbx stuff, this augers well for you for the future with XP.  But you must continue to keep the quality high because there is a huge amount of freeware for XP and it grows every day.  Thanks very much and Cheers.

2 hours ago, chifan90 said:

Hey Ben & John,  thanks. But I don’t use Global Airports-  I trash that folder every time I get an update.  I hate LEGO brick generic stuff.    Also, I removed XP Landmarks London to my desktop prior to install of TEGB. 

also, i mean this respectfully as perhaps the install went wrong, but for such a price as this product, the visuals are sub par by far compared to drzweicki designs city projects.     the image below to me looks like just a bunch of random W2XP sim heaven like objects placed on the ground.   i still cant get tower bridge, parliament & london eye to appear ' let alone the texture quality is poor vs the youtube video of this product announcement looking nice.   i  have a higher end 2017 27" imac.

Increasing the object slider count does not solve the issue, it only makes the sim slower when on max objects, unusable.  also, i removed all TEGB folders to see if i had other London area sceneries appearing, - I did, a EGLC, i removed it but the only resolution was that some water dam like objects now appear correctly. 

I was expecting quality like oRBX Meigs Field,   i am very disappointed and somewhat want a refund if theres no way to make this better

what am i doing wrong?

Log.txt

scenery_packs.ini

Hello

Try this.

If you do not use 4k Moniteur you can increase the Antialiasing slider

0jGDbbS.png

ePmTbWq.png

2 hours ago, chifan90 said:

Hey Ben & John,  thanks. But I don’t use Global Airports-  I trash that folder every time I get an update.  I hate LEGO brick generic stuff.    Also, I removed XP Landmarks London to my desktop prior to install of TEGB. 

also, i mean this respectfully as perhaps the install went wrong, but for such a price as this product, the visuals are sub par by far compared to drzweicki designs city projects.     the image below to me looks like just a bunch of random W2XP sim heaven like objects placed on the ground.   i still cant get tower bridge, parliament & london eye to appear ' let alone the texture quality is poor vs the youtube video of this product announcement looking nice.   i  have a higher end 2017 27" imac.

Increasing the object slider count does not solve the issue, it only makes the sim slower when on max objects, unusable.  also, i removed all TEGB folders to see if i had other London area sceneries appearing, - I did, a EGLC, i removed it but the only resolution was that some water dam like objects now appear correctly. 

I was expecting quality like oRBX Meigs Field,   i am very disappointed and somewhat want a refund if theres no way to make this better

what am i doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 6.04.48 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 9.07.19 PM.jpg

Log.txt

scenery_packs.ini

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 6.08.57 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 6.20.20 AM.jpg

Couple of important things to note here:

1. Your number of world objects needs to be set to maximum. Without it London will look empty. If your sim cannot handle max objects perhaps it is time for a PC upgrade.

2. Turn off Reflection Detail to zero - it kills FPS and adds very little to visuals. Hopefully they fix this in 11.30

3. We did not replace the default Laminar London objects - so placing your London Landmarks folder onto your desktop defeats the point of the exercise and you will lose a lot of objects in the scenery. Put it back and add it back into your scenery library, above TE GB.

4. Please don't make comparisons to Drzweicki Designs cityscape products. We are giving you 42,000 square miles of England and Wales for the cost of a few pizzas here; it is not and has not been promoted as a London cityscape product. Also, remember we will continue to refine and improve the product with new POI models, including new models in London.

Our screenshots promoting this product do not use magic, trickery or NASA computers to show the scenery. You have seen hundreds and hundreds of screenshots and possibly dozens of videos on YouTube of the product as well. To expect a refund after we have shown how it can look like is unfair. Please put the onus back onto yourself to setup your scenery and PC correctly to see the product properly.

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

Couple of important things to note here:

1. Your number of world objects needs to be set to maximum. Without it London will look empty. If your sim cannot handle max objects perhaps it is time for a PC upgrade.

2. Turn off Reflection Detail to zero - it kills FPS and adds very little to visuals. Hopefully they fix this in 11.30

3. We did not replace the default Laminar London objects - so placing your London Landmarks folder onto your desktop defeats the point of the exercise and you will lose a lot of objects in the scenery. Put it back and add it back into your scenery library, above TE GB.

4. Please don't make comparisons to Drzweicki Designs cityscape products. We are giving you 42,000 square miles of England and Wales for the cost of a few pizzas here; it is not and has not been promoted as a London cityscape product. Also, remember we will continue to refine and improve the product with new POI models, including new models in London.

Our screenshots promoting this product do not use magic, trickery or NASA computers to show the scenery. You have seen hundreds and hundreds of screenshots and possibly dozens of videos on YouTube of the product as well. To expect a refund after we have shown how it can look like is unfair. Please put the onus back onto yourself to setup your scenery and PC correctly to see the product properly.

Hi John,

thanks for the time to reply and give tips. Let me give some feedback 

1-I don’t use PC, I use iMac, and it’s an 8GB graphics card fusion drive 2017 model.  Tho I may get a 2018 model via trade in if it’s a lot better.    My iMac is pretty powerful in all other non xplane things and some other sceneries; so optimization on yours would be beneficial.   I also use orthos almost on every major city of the world ; and delete Global airport LEGOs.  No machine can handle max world objects on orthos in storms and payware scenery and payware planes. 

2- I can try the reflection to 0, but it’s very appealing.  I tried turning it off before and it’s going back to x-plane 10 almost. Yes, I hope 10.30 fixes it.  

3- this explains why I couldn’t get them to appear no matter what I did.  I thought you made your own versions. 

4-   I understand your view and appreciate your help. Tho I still feel the building textures are very low as you can see in my screenshots provided.  I stand by that.   I bumped up my resolution and it helped a bit but not a ton.     As a paying customer I feel I can compare if I want too, it’s fair.  There is other payware and freeware with higher res building textures.    I am disappointed.  

5-   Can you speak to why there’s just random generic W2XP buildings placed on the ground that don’t visually mesh well with the real life buildings?

A 2017 iMac? So that is an i5 CPU at 3.8Ghz and a Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB of VRAM?

No offense, but your iMac spec is not really powerful enough to expect to run London at decent sliders and framerate. And of course if you make the weather overcast with a heavy-FPS payware airliner it will bring the sim to its knees. Please be realistic about your expectations.

There are no random W2XP buildings placed on the ground. They exactly cover the actual building footprints are they are located on the ortho. If we were to model bespoke 3D buildings for all of central London it would take us a year or more to do just that part of England. You must understand the scope of the product.

Again, you have seen all our preview screenshots of London and we hide nothing - it is completely clear to anyone we are using facsimiles of most of the city buildings with perhaps a dozen specific models added: 

4-4631cafe48cf0b0c8e52d185d581d48d.jpg

4-f09d903db7e58e76064514cc315e0c98.jpg

4-273a479edf26fa598d26be6454143e53.jpg

This is not Google Earth or Apple Maps; we don't have billions of dollars to spend on their 3D technology and imagery acquisition.

Here is a random post from AVSIM from someone who installed TE GB South and his experience of London:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/543219-holy-smokes/?do=findComment&comment=3915698

"I tried TrueEarth GB last night too. It's a region I don't normally fly in but I can safely say that this will now change! I think it's the best flight sim experience I have ever had. I managed to max out all objects in London and still maintain between 26 and 36 fps for the most part (with the Aerobask robin and I am running a 1080gtx btw). I have never seen such a realistic cityscape and so many really well made landmarks. It is simply amazing. I also tried flying in Southampton and turned shadows on (with objects maxed out), and the effect was sublime all whilst keeping a high frame rate (around 30 to 40fps). The height of the trees and the way they follow the outline of fields and roadways is something I have not seen before. And so cool to have autogen that matches the style of the region. Just incredible.

I was sitting on the fence but I can now safely say I highly recommend it! The tech is very exciting. I can't wait for more regions."

13 minutes ago, John Venema said:

A 2017 iMac? So that is an i5 CPU at 3.8Ghz and a Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB of VRAM?

No offense, but your iMac spec is not really powerful enough to expect to run London at decent sliders and framerate. And of course if you make the weather overcast with a heavy-FPS payware airliner it will bring the sim to its knees. Please be realistic about your expectations.

There are no random W2XP buildings placed on the ground. They exactly cover the actual building footprints are they are located on the ortho. If we were to model bespoke 3D buildings for all of central London it would take us a year or more to do just that part of England. You must understand the scope of the product.

Again, you have seen all our preview screenshots of London and we hide nothing - it is completely clear to anyone we are using facsimiles of most of the city buildings with perhaps a dozen specific models added: 

4-4631cafe48cf0b0c8e52d185d581d48d.jpg

4-f09d903db7e58e76064514cc315e0c98.jpg

4-273a479edf26fa598d26be6454143e53.jpg

This is not Google Earth or Apple Maps; we don't have billions of dollars to spend on their 3D technology and imagery acquisition.

Hi John, 

no offense taken.  I know iMac is limited in some ways compared to Build your own PC.  I am an Apple only user.  

Anyway, my specs are shown in the screenshot I provided.  i7 4.2ghz and yes 8gb vram.   32gb ram.    I hope the new iMacs ( imac pro is too $$$$) has 6 core i9 and 16gb graphics option; or something more than 8.  

I hope you guys make more authentic buildings in an update.   facsimiles & lego brick global airports are things I try to stay away from.    

But I am happy I got it loaded, installed and have the London landmarks appear.   Perhaps notate that clearly that y’all did not replicate the xplane London and that users not only should re order their ini file but in fact NEED to keep that pack.  

Ben has been great in helping also.  

Can you comment on when the Mac install experience will be faster and easier? 

17 hours ago, chifan90 said:

Can you comment on when the Mac install experience will be faster and easier? 

We're working on the cross-platform version of FTX Central now. But keep in mind that the conversion step remains no matter your platform. Windows users had to wait around 2-3 hours for the conversion too.

We will aim to have the cross-platform build available simultaneously for TrueEarth Great Britain Central.

On 10/28/2018 at 6:31 AM, Murmur2k said:

I'm currently in the DDS conversion stage on my Mac.. wow this is taking a long time. Are there not any faster tools for converting jpg to DDS in this environment?

Me too, after every jpg conversion it says " CUDA Acceleraton Disabled" is this why it's taking so long and can I turn it on somewhere on my 2018 5K Mac?

On 10/24/2018 at 9:17 AM, John Venema said:

If your sim cannot handle max objects perhaps it is time for a PC upgrade

I agree, for long our older rigs where doing the job but this time is over.

I went from a trusted I7 2600K @ 4.4ghz to an I5 8600K (new mobo and 16 ram) + a GTX 1060 6G and P3D V4 is now finally smooth as heck

Yesterday at the new Santa Barbara scenery I was in the 60 FPS with no stutters at all... smooth like I have never seen.

Ben 

Archived