Passed my PPL written yesterday

Kilstorm

Yesterday was a busy day. I had to go renew my Part 107 remote Pilot License which is a written 40 question test. So knowing that it is very close to the Private Pilot one and since I was going to be there at the CATS Testing center decided to sign up for the PPL written as well. Got Sportys PPL online course and recieved my endorsement from them after passing their mock test with a over an 80%. I actually was taking the test daily and was getting only 80s and 90s.

So I started the day by getting my 3rd class medical in Falmouth then drove up to Plymouth and took the Part 107 first and got an 83% with missing 7 out of 40 and then took my PPL written and getting an 87% with missing 8 out of 60! Exciting but after spending a month taking these test and always getting a passing score it kinda just felt like another mock test.

Anyway, my next step is to solo in two to three days down in Florida in November in a C172. Its been a great summer of bucket list checks with flying in my first Super Cub, Bell Jet ranger and a Mooney. All of these are owned by various friends and we did a lot of flight-seeing looking at the great whites off of Chatham. I got plenty of stick time flying the Cub and Mooney as well. Heres a video of some of that fun from Bill Womacks inspiration of KACK

https://youtu.be/yMaQxBN5zpE

1 hour ago, Doc_Z said:

Congratulations.  How much dual time do you have?  Two or three days to solo without any previous time can be done, but unlikely.  Sim time is great for systems, etc., but does not replicate RL flying.

Have a friend who was an instructor for the Navy. They had to get their students to solo with in 6 flight hours or the student doesnt go on. He siad they had it down to a science of 5.5 hours. I'm in no rush but I'm not going to be wasting my time with turns around a point and S turns to solo. Thats for people who are new and help get a grasp on how planes handle in the wind. Stalls, steep turns and pattern work is what I need practice with for solo. 

Logged dual time is 3.8 hours. Flight time from the left or rear seat is over 10 hours in a C402,  C182, Mooney and Super Cub. I'm taking it serious, especially after Solo when I start doing cross country and night training but if after the thousands upon thousands of simulated take offs/landing/pattern work Ive done in this kind of sim setup

I'm feeling very comfortable is getting to solo in a few days.

Good luck with it.  Hope you get it done that fast. As I said, sim time doesn't prepare you fo a cross-wind landing at the limits, which a good instructor should have you do before solo.  Remember there are very few old, bold pilots.

• 7 months later...

Just a follow up to this. I passed my practical exam back on May 11th at 41.5 hours logged. I soloed on my second day at 3.4 hours, next day did my night xc and it just went from there. In March I visited Ireland and logged .5 hours there which I wanted in my logbook and in Feb I had a friend who is a CFI fly his plane from Nantucket to Florida to get repainted. So he let me do all the flight planning and fly the plane down there with him and that was 10 hours of solid xcountry time.

All in all it was a great experience and thanks to flight simming and PilotEdge I felt extremely comfortable the whole time.

Archived