A cruise around Meigs

Jack Sawyer

Didn't have a lot of time this morning so I made a quick cruise around Meigs.  

Here we are heading to our destination, Meigs in Chicago.

02alpVa.jpg

Nice airport ya got here!

qfqAClP.jpg

All ashore that's going ashore!

bsnUgGo.jpg

Okay, back on the ship.

awwcitv.jpg

Seeing downtown Chicago in style and luxurious comfort!

j3Zuinq.jpg

J2TXjdY.jpg

Those were drawbridges. :D

19QYEbb.jpg

Back out to sea, wait, what?

sC0xObX.jpg

How did we get into the Great Lakes to begin with?

Fsq16y3.jpg

Oh well, let's see the rest of this lake!

z8UnMQ3.jpg

Just now, European Mountain Man said:

Well Jack super set of shots and i have seen it all now and it looks like you had a problem getting under the bridges i am supersized you did not go inverted again regards EMM

Thanks Stewart!  Those were drawbridges :)

14 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Oh boy Jack. Great shots. Now there are huge traffic jams since you wiped out them bridges.:D

Thanks Karl, they were drawbridges as they were “drawn” graphically.

I know this may be silly but I’m really astonished at just how huge these floating cities are.  If its to scale these are staggering in size!

I even watched a YT the other night in the world’s largest.  They’re amazing.

Hmm....actually a quit normal flight, at least I haven't seen anything special. Business as usual, so to speak. :rolleyes:

Maybe declaring a 'go around' should have been a bit akward, but who cares....

Nevertheless.....a weird idea :D

-Fred-

9 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Hmm....actually a quit normal flight, at least I haven't seen anything special. Business as usual, so to speak. :rolleyes:

Maybe declaring a 'go around' should have been a bit akward, but who cares....

Nevertheless.....a weird idea :D

-Fred-

Thanks Fred, no one ever accused me of not being "weird".  I like normal flights, but I do things like this for several reasons, first it's funny, second, I was fascinated by the sheer scale of a cruise ship and waned to compare it to an airport, these things are absolutely enormous.  Never been on one but I'd like to just to see how big they actually are.

1 minute ago, bvdboomen said:

Typical Jack! :lol:

Great story mate!

Thanks BVD!  I'm glad you thought it was funny.

4 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Fred, no one ever accused me of not being "weird".  I like normal flights, but I do things like this for several reasons, first it's funny, second, I was fascinated by the sheer scale of a cruise ship and waned to compare it to an airport, these things are absolutely enormous.  Never been on one but I'd like to just to see how big they actually are.

Thanks BVD!  I'm glad you thought it was funny.

A few years (maybe 10 years) ago we crossed the Northsea in a high speed waterjet driven big catamaran. Because I have crossed the Northsea in a sailboat dozens of times, I asked the steward if I might visit the bridge. After they checked my passport and permission was granted by the captain, I was allowed under guidance of a security officer to enter the bridge.

Wow, man......a really huge room full equipped with monitors, all double or triple of course. Nothing, absolutely nothing that looks like a traditional steering bridge. Everything was monitored by screens, navigation, steering, engines....were all controlled by screens. 

Sailing the big boats in the older days was much more romantic....I guess.

Just now, Sundancer said:

A few years (maybe 10 years) ago we crossed the Northsea in a high speed waterjet driven big catamaran. Because I have crossed the Northsea in a sailboat dozens of times, I asked the steward if I might visit the bridge. After they checked my passport and permission was granted by the captain, I was allowed under guidance of a security officer to enter the bridge.

Wow, man......a really huge room full equipped with monitors, all double or triple of course. Nothing, absolutely nothing that looks like a traditional steering bridge. Everything was monitored by screens, navigation, steering, engines....were all controlled by screens. 

Sailing the big boats in the older days was much more romantic....I guess.

I would love more than anything to sail on a ship built in the 1700's.  Now those were some beautifully, hand crafted works of floating art.

Have you ever read the books from Patrick O'Brian. In English language appr. 15 romans (translated into Dutch 10). 

The film 'Master and Commander' is based upon these stories. Highly recommended movie......

It describes the adventures of Jack Aubrey, naval captain in the English French wars at sea.

I am reading book 5 at the moment.....

-Fred-

6 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Have you ever read the books from Patrick O'Brian. In English language appr. 15 romans (translated into Dutch 10). 

The film 'Master and Commander' is based upon these stories. Highly recommended movie......

It describes the adventures of Jack Aubrey, naval captain in the English French wars at sea.

-Fred-

Never heard of them Fred but I'd be keen to look into them, I'll have a look on the Apple iBooks store.  Thanks!

5 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Some of your shots indeed underline the unfortunate closure of Meigs airfield.

Some others show how good these salesman are in offering city boat cruises to the tourists.

After all, Chicago is a beautiful city.

Thanks Gerold! :lol:  He was a VERY good salesman, I mean he sells refrigerators to Eskimos! :D

4 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Fine shots of your flying cruise ship Jack :) 

Thanks Landon, I think that's enough of this silliness for a while unless I create a comic, I have a set of Cherokee shots from Meigs today as I didn't have much time.  As I said, I just wanted to see the size of it.  I mentioned I recently watched a YT of how they built and operate the world's largest cruise ship, it was astonishing!

3 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Interesting post Jack......   I enjoyed it.

Thanks John, glad you liked the erm, trip. :D

3 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

Surprising shots Jack! I never thought you could find something that big and travel through Chicago!

Thanks François!  Well, slew helps, a little :)

4 minutes ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Hi Jack, now that's what I call dry  dock. I guess there were  a few diverted flights that day:D

Regards

Don

Thanks Don!  Perfect for dry dock actually as they could use helos to shuttle people to the top of it. :)

9 hours ago, Sundancer said:

-Fred-

A+. One of my favorites.:)

We are Sailing, I was pleased you did not invert under the bridges :D try the Patrick O'Brian books, I have read them all and thoroughly enjoyed them, the film was okay, but they miscast Maturin

9 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

I use to interpret cruise differently!!

I did too till I discovered this wonderful dinghy!  

8 hours ago, adambar said:

Whatever floats your boat Jack. :D

Thanks Adam, water usually floats it. :D

6 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

A+. One of my favorites.:)

Thanks Karl!  I knew you'd like it. :)

5 hours ago, paulb said:

LOL! A great post Jack! :)

Thanks Paul, I need to do odd things now and then, it's the ten year old in me. :)

26 minutes ago, Taph said:

We are Sailing, I was pleased you did not invert under the bridges :D try the Patrick O'Brian books, I have read them all and thoroughly enjoyed them, the film was okay, but they miscast Maturin

Thanks Taph, it would have been impossible to go inverted under those bridges :unsure:.  I'm going to go on Apple's books site and search for those books.

Archived