Losing four engines on a C-130 Hercules

Orbxtreme

2001C-130taxiingCEN4.jpg

Wanting to add an almost impossible flight in the “unhinged virtual flights” section of my web site, I tried a flight with the Blue Angels C-130 Hercules (Captain Sim) where the aircraft gradually lost all of its engines.

HighRiverairportinAlbertawithaC-130.jpg

I am aware that the Blue Angels mechanics are real professionals, so I assumed that the engine failures were caused by an unknown reason.

2002C-130rollingHighRiver.jpg

The take-off was made without problem from the Canadian High River (CEN4) airport. This free airport was designed by Vlad Maly and is available through ORBX. The aircraft leaves the 4150 feet runway heading to the Coeur d’Alène airport (KCOE) in United States.

Eventually, the first engine stops. This does not cause a problem. The propeller is feathered and the gradual climbing continues.

2003C-130losingfirstengine.jpg

The second engine stops. The pilot must forget the initial destination. Bonners Ferry (65S) becomes the alternate airport since the 4000x75 feet runway is good enough for the C-130.

2004C-130doubleenginefailure.jpg

2005C-130enroutewithdoubleenginefailure.

The third engine gives way. A slow descent starts. Bonners Ferry is not very far. The airport is at an altitude of 2337 ft asl.

The aircraft is voluntarily flown at a higher altitude than what would normally be requested for a normal approach, just in case the fourth engine stops. When three engines stop after the same refueling, the pilot has the right to think that what feeds the fourth engine can also cause problems.

2006C-130threeenginefailure.jpg

The highest mountains are now behind the aircraft.

2007C-130enroutethreeenginefailure.jpg

The Bonners Ferry (65S) runway is in sight.

2008C-130byBonnersFerrythreeenginefailur

The fourth engine stops. The flaps will not be functional for the landing.

From now on, the pilot should save the virtual flight a few times since it is possible that several trials will be necessary to glide successfully to the airport. This is the fun of virtual flight.

2009C-130fourenginefailure.jpg

The C-130 Hercules has become a big glider. When the speed is maintained, the aircraft loses more 1000 feet per minute. It is easier to feel the aircraft’s inertia.

The wheels will be brought out only when necessary since the gear adds a lot of drag.

From the position indicated in the picture below, it is impossible to arrive to the airport in a straight line: the aircraft will glide over the airport. In the picture, the aircraft seems to be on a good path for landing, but it is an illusion caused by the wide-angle format chosen for the screen capture.

The aircraft is definitely too high. It is impossible to use the flaps to increase the rate of descent.

2010C-130fourenginefailurerunwayinsight.

One must choose between 1) sideslips 2) a 360 degree turn to lose altitude or 3) multiple steep turns perpendicular to the runway to increase to distance to the airport.

What would you choose?

There is no universal method. The 360 degree turn is riskier but can prove efficient. An Airbus A330-200 flown by Quebecer Robert Piché that had lost all of its engines  landed successfully in the Acores in 2001 after attempting a last minute 360 degree turn to lose altitude. But here, I did not believe there was enough altitude to safely complete the turn and reach the runway.

A few steep turns were made to extend to ride to the airport. Why steep turns? In order to avoid getting closer to the airport before an acceptable altitude was reached. This method helped keep an eye on the runway at all times to verify if the slope to the airport was still acceptable.

2011C-130losingaltitudeinrightturn.jpg

2012C-130losingaltitudeinleftturn.jpg

I tried the three methods, always starting from the same saved flight (photo 10). After several sideslips, the aircraft was always approaching the airport too quickly. There was not enough time to lose altitude. The final speed always happened to be too high to stop a C-130 without flaps or thrust reversers.

The 360 degree turn, be it right or left, with different angles and a reasonable speed, always incurred a loss of altitude that brought the aircraft 200 to 300 feet short of the threshold.

Finally, after a few steep turns, the aircraft was positioned on final with the appropriate speed and altitude.

2013C-130fromtower.jpg

A few last seconds’ adjustments, to reposition the aircraft in the center of the runway.

2014C-130slidingtorunway.jpg

At 140 kts, but without any reverse thrust, the whole runway should be necessary to stop the aircraft.

2015C-130overrunway.jpg

The landing was smooth and the aircraft stopped short of the threshold.

For an unknown reason, the anemometer was still indicating a 10 kts airspeed, even when the aircraft had stopped.

2016C-130stoppedonrunway.jpg

2017C-130withhangars.jpg

2018C-130withplaneandhangars.jpg

Try such a flight in the virtual mode. The worst that can happen is that you have fun!

Quite a story you tell Francois , I am glad you made it in safely . I was worried that since it was 65S you were landing at , that a herd of deer would spoil your landing and your day . :huh::o:D

Cheers

John

10 minutes ago, fly37 said:

This is what I like to see in this forum, details and very useful information and congratulations to this new commander Robert Piché!

Robert Piché would be jealous. He did not have all those possible trials with his machine! ^_^

1 minute ago, BradB said:

Quite a story you tell Francois , I am glad you made it in safely . I was worried that since it was 65S you were landing at , that a herd of deer would spoil your landing and your day . :huh::o:D

Cheers

John

Expecially that I would not have been able to chop them into pieces without working propellers...>:D

20 minutes ago, European Mountain Man said:

Fantastic set of screen shots and nice to see the c-130 and a fantastic bit of flying well done is this in fsx or p3d if it is in p3d how did you get it to work regards EMM

Thanks Stewart, the shots are with FSX although I always take the liberty to edit some shots that are worth it for a better result.

18 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was the most amazing thing I've seen here in a long time François!  Very well narrated and flown, I loved it!

Thanks Jack, very glad you liked the shots and story. I though I did some pretty crazy stuff as a flying instructor, but to put this C-130 on the ground required as much concentration as in the real life. This beast has so much inertia, it really wants to do only what it feels to do! ;)

Thanks Sniper, I am glad you liked. I love the C-130 too, but I only have a virtual experience with it. Another fun thing to try with this one is to shut-off two engines on the same side of the aircraft and try to land. It is quite demanding as the aircraft wants to fly sideways and the turning radius is much wider! ^_^

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic pictures, Francois, but more is the narration: Possibly one of the best flight report I have been reading here in the last 5 years.

Great work.

Danke. Ich freue mich, dass Sie die Fotos und Text mögen. (Thanks I am happy that you like both the photos and text (in an approximate German)).!

59 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

An absorbing post Francois with a very informative narration.:)

Thanks, glad you liked! I just received a phone call from the Blue Angels organization thanking me for having saved the C-130. :lol:

33 minutes ago, Arkanoid said:

Amazing story. Are you running  Captain Sim C-130 in P3D4 ?

Thanks, I am happy that you liked. It was a lot of fun. I am actually running the Captain Sim C-130 in FSX as I have so many aircrafts and freewares for that platform. If some shots do not look like traditional FSX, it might be that they are the few shots that I chose to edit to enhance the light or the clouds.

22 minutes ago, JMBIII said:

Very good flying, sir.  Sort of an American 'Gimli Glider'.

As I can see you know the story of that Air Canada B767. And what a glide it was! (They did not have the chance to try a second approach!). Pearson on his B-767 and Piché on his A330-200 made history. And both adventures ended up with a movie!

1 hour ago, tangjuice81 said:

Very nice set!

Thank you, I am pleased you liked it. ^_^

13 minutes ago, adambar said:

What a great post Francois, it was like reading a good book, well done!!! :)

Thanks Adam, and with a virtual flight, the story is sure to end well! Glad you liked!

Great post and a nice bit of flying ,Been a passenger a lot of times I'm please to say that the only engine loss I have experience with the C130 is while it has been on the ground. 

3 hours ago, boetie said:

Francois............you are a legend. Great pictures and an even greater flying lesson!

Cheers Graeme :)

Thanks Graeme, I am happy that you liked the set! ;)

2 hours ago, Taph said:

Great post and a nice bit of flying ,Been a passenger a lot of times I'm please to say that the only engine loss I have experience with the C130 is while it has been on the ground. 

Thanks Taph, it is always more comfortable to experience an engine failure when you're on the ground! :)

2 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Cracking post and cracking shots.

cheers 

Iain 

Thanks Iain, glad you liked!

16 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

As I can see you know the story of that Air Canada B767. And what a glide it was! (They did not have the chance to try a second approach!). Pearson on his B-767 and Piché on his A330-200 made history. And both adventures ended up with a movie!

Pichè was with Transat?

4 hours ago, dolf8857 said:

Fantastic story and shots!

Thanks Dolf, very nice of you!

2 hours ago, gregmorin said:

Great shots and Excellent flying!

Greg

Thanks Greg, I am glad that you liked!

2 hours ago, fly37 said:

Pichè was with Transat?

Yes it was Robert Piché, in 2001, on an Airbus A330-200. He was over the Atlantic ocean with his Airbus when he had no other choice but to glide to Lajes, in the Acores, because there were no engines working anymore due to a fuel problem. A movie and a book have been made on that story!

On 02/03/2018 at 2:14 AM, European Mountain Man said:

Fantastic set of screen shots and nice to see the c-130 and a fantastic bit of flying well done is this in fsx or p3d if it is in p3d how did you get it to work regards EMM

Hi Stewart,

While I am not sure about version 4, I successfully had the CS C-130 installed in to P3D V3 with no issues.  Initially I could not get the installer to work, but then I discovered you need a FSX.exe file and a FS9.exe file present in the P3D V3 directory.  I need to try the C-130 in P3D V4, but I have my doubts about it working.

Cheers,

That was such an enjoyable post to look at and read.  I must give this a go myself.  I often do it in the sim myself, but just randomly I will shut off the fuel and see if I can find a safe landing spot.  Thanks for a very informative post!

Cheers,

8 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

That was such an enjoyable post to look at and read.  I must give this a go myself.  I often do it in the sim myself, but just randomly I will shut off the fuel and see if I can find a safe landing spot.  Thanks for a very informative post!

Cheers,

Thanks Scott.  Just to add some realism to the operation, make sure to feather all of the propellers as they would add a lot of drag in real life.

Archived