Official start of Oz tour.

Well, today I hung my Australian Jeppesen map on the wall and officially started my Orbx to Orbx tour.

Flew from Coffs to Macquarie.

Orbx Global, Australia, most of Orbx's Oz airports, A2A Cherokee, AS16 on, real-time, season, fall, and it was extremely relaxing and fun.  The weather was excellent, it started out very overcast but slowly improved.  I was loving it!

One thing I noticed about Australia Jeppesen charts compared to USA charts is a dearth of VOR's.  There's a heck of a lot of NDB's and they tune but why no VOR's?  Anyone from Down Under want to chime in?

Oh, and sorry for so many :D :rolleyes::wub:

TYGpAM8.jpg

LomlWBr.jpg

kOWWMCW.jpg

f1qajaj.jpg

igAQgyC.jpg

kdiHBFh.jpg

2gY43Fz.jpg

BGC5qIw.jpg

HqfVb7l.jpg

Wh80XLC.jpg

C0a0tdw.jpg

My wife loves these lighthouses, and it was lit, how cool is that?

pg57vAD.jpg

qhHuDAl.jpg

jjLp3PP.jpg

9N1LSaH.jpg

k1nDfPZ.jpg

4yERjFC.jpg

ycDsKxg.jpg

I think this one is beautiful.

2ZVBpW8.jpg

b1vgjF9.jpg

This one was my favorite!  Look how gorgeous the light on the river is.  Amazing!

MaTmMTX.jpg

zHLsPPP.jpg

Couldn't help myself :D

WweSbao.jpg

tFWWURR.jpg

dy2T60l.jpg

wKi2NRX.jpg

Now to park up and have what the commercials here in the States say, "Foster's, it's Australian for beer."

Su5eEOH.jpg

45 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

There's a heck of a lot of NDB's and they tune but why no VOR's?  Anyone from Down Under want to chime in?

I thought it would be the other way around. Years ago they started phasing NDBs out and replaced them with VORs coupled with DME. Much more modern and useful. There are still NDBs around but not as many.

1 minute ago, hwh86 said:

I thought it would be the other way around. Years ago they started phasing NDBs out and replaced them with VORs coupled with DME. Much more modern and useful. There are still NDBs around but not as many.

Thanks Les, my maps are from 2010.  I saw only a very few in the GTN too.

When I say 'years ago' I mean the 80s, 2010 is recent. Many NDBs have been retained, mainly at airports, because of the age of some of the GA airplanes with ADF on the panel and no VOR and DME. They still exist in great numbers. RPT (Regular Public Transport) use mostly VOR but some may have ADF as well but not solely, they have to be IFR rated.

An ex airline pilot friend of mine told me the other week that CASA was phasing out the VORS and replacing them with NDBs. Rather stupid if you ask me but with the incompetent, corrupt Government we have at the moment nothing surprises me.

Then again it could be that so many aircraft are equipped with a GPS.

Pat, that's the first time I have heard that but I have been out of it all since 2004. How do you do an ILS in an A380 using ADF? I was doing NDB let downs, not landings in the fifties but that was another world.

I hope you advised your wife before doing the loop there. Otherwise, you never know the results! That is a great set Jack, I too love the shot with the water reflection the most. You have a lot of discovery ahead of you down there, Australia is huge!

Great shots Jack, you will have fun in this great country. It's about the size of mainland USA but a lot less populated (including VORs). And between orbx and OZx it has been covered well. I have flown the whole country in FSX but never in one trip (yet). I have managed to fly Andorra in one trip lol.

Anton via Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, hwh86 said:

When I say 'years ago' I mean the 80s, 2010 is recent. Many NDBs have been retained, mainly at airports, because of the age of some of the GA airplanes with ADF on the panel and no VOR and DME. They still exist in great numbers. RPT (Regular Public Transport) use mostly VOR but some may have ADF as well but not solely, they have to be IFR rated.

It's amazing how different things are in different parts of the world Les.

1 hour ago, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

An ex airline pilot friend of mine told me the other week that CASA was phasing out the VORS and replacing them with NDBs. Rather stupid if you ask me but with the incompetent, corrupt Government we have at the moment nothing surprises me.

Then again it could be that so many aircraft are equipped with a GPS.

Well, thanks fellas.  Pat this is very interesting, very interesting to me because here in the US of A they're phasing out all NDB's and VORs and going with GPS approaches.  Having just NDB's is kind of fun actually because it brings me back to the old days of flying.

1 hour ago, TigerTigerM said:

i think I will just follow your tour Jack, no need to fly it.:)

TTM

That's cool TTM!  I'll follow your flights too. It's all good.

51 minutes ago, Orbxtreme said:

I hope you advised your wife before doing the loop there. Otherwise, you never know the results! That is a great set Jack, I too love the shot with the water reflection the most. You have a lot of discovery ahead of you down there, Australia is huge!

Thanks Francois!  Nope, didn't tell her, but she's a good Heidi, she'd just laugh and have fun.  Yeah, isn't it amazing how lifelike that shot is?  When I was flying there I thought this was amazing, we've come a long way.

19 minutes ago, antonvs said:

Great shots Jack, you will have fun in this great country. It's about the size of mainland USA but a lot less populated (including VORs). And between orbx and OZx it has been covered well. I have flown the whole country in FSX but never in one trip (yet). I have managed to fly Andorra in one trip lol.

Anton via Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Anton!  Right, it's absolutely huge and as I mentioned before, you can't walk ten feet in this country without tripping over an airport.  I'm working with Les on trying to figure out how to install that OZx as I use the Scenery Config Editor and would need to install it into my Australia group.  I don't have a clue how to install it, I have the file but haven't made the attempt yet.

And, what is Andorra?  I'll have to Yahoo search it.

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

here in the US of A they're phasing out all NDB's and VORs and going with GPS approaches.

Further to my previous post above, I have done some research and found, Australia is going the same way as the USA. We are decommissioning 50% of the ground based navaids, NDBs, VORs, DMEs, all navigation will be using GNSS which is a form of GPS, deleted ground based aids will be replaced by 5 character ICAO waypoint codes. This is to eliminate ground based equipment and make navigation totally the responsibility of the crew and their on-board equipment.

Well as you have already covered 0.004% of Australia Jack I thing you are in for a long tour.

If all the sets are as good as this one we are in for a treat.

Don't forget when you get to YSHT(Shepparton) to give us a bell.

22 minutes ago, luckyb52 said:

Looks like you're having an aerobatic ball there, Jack!

Best

Lucky :)

////////////////

Hope he vacuumed the carpet before take off.

13 hours ago, hwh86 said:

13 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Les, my maps are from 2010.  I saw only a very few in the GTN too.

Great pics Jack.  It sounds like a great tour is underway.

If you are interested, Anthony Lynch (Ant's Airplanes, Ant's Aussie Airports etc) put together a pack of VFR and IFR waypoints.  Although I'm not sure what is and is not up to date now, the navaids should suit your chart(s) pretty well, as the data was from 2009.  I had them installed in my old FSX setup, and it even includes AM radio stations you can tune with your ADF.

Here is the link:

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/388-ants-aussie-ifr-and-vfr-waypoints/

BTW, while you're there you should grab all the OzX and Ant's sceneries. That should keep you busy in Oz for a year or 3 :D.

Happy flying!

Cheers,

10 hours ago, hwh86 said:

A small municipality in Europe Jack, I would not even know where to start searching for it.

I looked it up Les, it is indeed very tiny.  Never knew it existed.

9 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Well as you have already covered 0.004% of Australia Jack I thing you are in for a long tour.

If all the sets are as good as this one we are in for a treat.

Don't forget when you get to YSHT(Shepparton) to give us a bell.

Thanks Martyn.  I agree, I've barely scratched the surface, a person could spend years flying here.  And I'll have to make YSHT a next stop.

9 hours ago, luckyb52 said:

Looks like you're having an aerobatic ball there, Jack!

Best

Lucky :)

////////////////

Thanks Lucky!  Yup, I like being upside down.

8 hours ago, jury42 said:

Another beautiful tour!

Thank you Jury.

7 hours ago, adambar said:

Jack i'm only going to eat breakfast and supper from now on, it doesn't do me any good to eat lunch. :wub:  Great way to start your tour, except for the stunt flying! :D

Thanks Adam, it's in my blood, I was born in a circus! :lol:

7 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain!

6 hours ago, paulb said:

Great series Jack with some super shots! :)

Thank you Paul.

5 hours ago, hwh86 said:

Jack, I hope you are having a ball, it is a big country and a beautiful country.

I am Les, it's big and beautiful, lots of surprises.  As I've never been there everything is new.

3 hours ago, Mark Abdey said:

Super flight Jack, not sure about the stunt at the end, but I'll let you off :P

The one coming over the river is very nice indeed!

Thanks Mark, I've done real stunt flying in a biplane when I lived in Idaho so I learned how much fun it can be.

6 minutes ago, scottharmes6 said:

Great pics Jack.  It sounds like a great tour is underway.

If you are interested, Anthony Lynch (Ant's Airplanes, Ant's Aussie Airports etc) put together a pack of VFR and IFR waypoints.  Although I'm not sure what is and is not up to date now, the navaids should suit your chart(s) pretty well, as the data was from 2009.  I had them installed in my old FSX setup, and it even includes AM radio stations you can tune with your ADF.

Here is the link:

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/388-ants-aussie-ifr-and-vfr-waypoints/

BTW, while you're there you should grab all the OzX and Ant's sceneries. That should keep you busy in Oz for a year or 3 :D.

Happy flying!

Cheers,

Thanks Scott, I have this open in another window now and I'll peruse it as soon as I finish typing this.

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Mark, I've done real stunt flying in a biplane when I lived in Idaho so I learned how much fun it can be.

Oh wow, now that sounds cool Jack, do tell more.... at least you know what you're doing, turning that thing over ;)

5 minutes ago, Mark Abdey said:

Oh wow, now that sounds cool Jack, do tell more.... at least you know what you're doing, turning that thing over ;)

I flew hot air balloons in Boise, my best friend flew corporate jets as well as balloons.  He was part owner of a stunt biplane, it was kit built.  Open cockpit, we sat on our parachutes for seat cushions.  Since I was an A&P I'd inspect every last part of that plane before takeoff.  So we'd go up and we'd fly barrel rolls, loops, and hammerheads.  We'd trade off on the stick, we'd say on the mic, "Your stick."  And so on.  It was immensely fun to be upside down and flying straight and level.  This is why in a lot of my screens you'll see me flying upside down, just to see if I can do it, even in a 747! :lol:

I miss it and I'm grounded now because of health reason which stinks.  Gosh, do I miss it Mark.

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

We'd trade off on the stick, we'd say on the mic, "Your stick."  And so on.  It was immensely fun to be upside down and flying straight and level.  This is why in a lot of my screens you'll see me flying upside down, just to see if I can do it, even in a 747!  :lol:

I miss it and I'm grounded now because of health reason which stinks.  Gosh, do I miss it Mark.

That sound pretty blooming amazing!!!... and now I understand some of your crazy sim maneuvers :lol:

I'm sure you do miss these sort of exploits Jack: who wouldn't?... risky yes, but life affirming at the same time. At least you did something some will never do... and lived to tell the tale ;)

Edit: just to say... see my pic?... that's me flying a C172.... see the white knuckles? (you can't see the sweat)  I would not have the balls to do what you did, that was enough :lol:

A great variety of shots and perspectives in this first part of your tour Jack. Good to see you are prepared to do it, and I do look forward to so many posts.

19 hours ago, antonvs said:

I have managed to fly Andorra in one trip lol.

Liechtenstein, Gibraltar or Monaco should do also.

16 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Yes he is, and we all will enjoy it. Unfortunate is only the season in the south...

6 hours ago, scottharmes6 said:

If you are interested, Anthony Lynch (Ant's Airplanes, Ant's Aussie Airports etc) put together a pack of VFR and IFR waypoints.  

Fully agree, there is so much of freeware made by enthisiasts on OZx, this NEEDS to be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

A great variety of shots and perspectives in this first part of your tour Jack. Good to see you are prepared to do it, and I do look forward to so many posts.

Thanks Gerold!  I'm making a flight from Shepparton to Tamworth as I type this and it's a beautiful day so far.  Just passing over Burrendong Dam.  Nice hils in front of he plane.  Very scenic.

Martyn mentioned YSHT, Shepparton so I thought I'd see it and make a flight to an airport I just bought today.  I'm up to 16 Oz airports now and ESSA thanks to the May sale.

1 minute ago, Stillwater said:

... but I fear @VH-KDK is not at home today!

Yup, the luck guy is in Thailand, must be nice.

But since he had his home on his avatar I thought this would be why he wanted me to check it out.  Will post 'em after the flight.

8 hours ago, BradB said:

Your off to a smashing start Jack , make sure you visit the Hamilton Island area . Here is the link for the OZx free scenery for 33 free airports including Hamilton Island (YBHM) :

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/679-ants-aussie-airports-complete/

Cheers

John

Thanks John!  I downloaded the files bet Les told me they wouldn't work in P3D, that's there's some sort of difficulty.

1 hour ago, Neptune6 said:

Hi Jack Sawyer

awesome TOUR

Patrick

Thanks Patrick!  Really appreciate it.  Australia is so different from flying in the States.  I really enjoy all the surprises and the terrain changes.

45 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks John!  I downloaded the files bet Les told me they wouldn't work in P3D, that's there's some sort of difficulty.

Thanks Patrick!  Really appreciate it.  Australia is so different from flying in the States.  I really enjoy all the surprises and the terrain changes.

Hey Jack , I had no issues at all with either the OZx or Ants Aussie airports working in P3Dv3.422 . Send a PM to this Gent : http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/profile/2131-treetops/

He can help you I'm sure with it .

John

Archived