Apology

John Venema

Hello everyone,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues with trying to download openLC North America,

We did not anticipate the day one demand for this product. Over 6,000 of you have already purchased the Alaska/Canada part one of this release and clearly the majority of existing owners are wanting to take advantage of the discount being offered. Let me reassure you all that the discount is in place for the next 30 days and every person wanting to upgrade will be accommodated.  

Please do not be too hard on Adrian and FSS; he has never had to deal with such unprecedented demand and this is a prime example of why we are investing in new infrastructure to allow Orbx to grow to the next level of fully integrated supply. 

For those who are not able to launch their download session, I ask you to to please be patient and re-try in 24 or 48 hours when the there is less demand on the FSS CDN. I know this is not the explanation you are waiting for but unfortunately there is little we can do to scale up the bandwidth in our current infrastructure. Call it 'growing pains' if you will.

Please let me say a big THANK YOU for the huge anticipation and demand for openLC NA, it really does make the entire team feel we have worked hard on a product that is in high demand, and for that we really do appreciate your custom and support.

For those of you who are experiencing time-outs and broken download, please use a download manager such as GetRight or similar. All of FSS's servers support resuming so there is no need to have to re-start an aborted download.

Once again please allow me to humbly apologise for this frustrating situation and please understand we are investing heavily in 2016 to avoid too many repeats of this situation.

I am very much looking forward to the customer screenshots from your local areas in NA you have long been waiting to see in all its FTX glory.

Mr JV,

When it comes to total world domination (with respect to FSX/P3D world..) such hiccups are to be overlooked by all :) , Asia and ME/Africa waits to be blessed by your teams work sir .

Congrats on release !!

Kind regards,

jaff

to be honest, the downloads, once I was finally able to purchase it (THAT took five hours, lol) were pretty smooth.  I have seen worse at least from my end.  but thanks to the team for all the hard work, and for offering a product like this.  so far it's been fantastic flying.  Please get cracking on the rest of the world,:)  NA was already fairly decent in-sim (this is SO much better tho)  what I am really looking forward to is SA, Africa, and Asia, maybe this can loosen some funds to get some extra devs on these projects?  

Having more customers than you ever imagined is a sign of huge success. I'm sure a lot can be learned each time this happens, and for as large as this release is it's still better then the last time this happened, I think for me it was with the Orbx Trees? Took me 2 days to get that one. You seem to be getting closer to the ideal experience each time. 

Thank you for the kind apology and congrats on this huge milestone.

PS: My Tampa are looks awesome BTW, I'm still exploring the area but it filled in VERY nicely!! Gonna go do some night exploring now!

The CDN1 link was the best for me here in the Florida area, all 3 came down nicely.

Apology accepted but not really needed. I understand the demand for the product was much greater than anticipated, which is really great for the hobby, Orbx, and us! And, congratulations on a smashing success! Perhaps it's a bit early to say on a day like today, but we very much look forward to the rest of the Open LC products.

It's been a long day but well worth it. Now downloading Part 3 of 4 with 67% done. Then it's part 4 and off to flying! Glad I took the day off tomorrow!

John

Hi John

It took me about 10 hours to download all the four parts in the frenzy rush of yesterday with my slow and prone to cutouts connection. Not bad I'd say, so Adrian and team didn't do a bad job at all as far as I am concerned. 

One thing. The manual could be a little more explicit about regrouping all the 21 OrbxFTXopenLCNA110.xx and the exe to be found in part 4 all together. I fumbled a little there :). Maybe a pic would have helped ? Anyway, doing my first flight now.  

May I add that I quite appreciate that you sell such a value-added product at such an inexpensive price ? 

Thanks John and the team, I'm really looking forward to this.

I started to download but we have crap net connection here, it was going to take 30 +hrs and slow everything else down, so I canned the download and will use the speedy NBN at work tomorrow.

No need to apologise John as if you and the Team did not produce such good products there would not be the demand.

The fact that so many simmers wanted this at one time speaks volumes of the quality and reputation of ORBX.:)

Downloaded it twice though and still cannot get it to install. :angry:

Searched the forums and tried a few things.:(

Shall try again tomorrow ( third time lucky) and if no success shall try and get help.:mellow:

Oh well back to another flight in the south of France (OLC EU) and some more spectacular scenery:D

I haven't bought openLC NA, but have experienced the occasional hiccup with other releases.

Seeing my large no. of flawless downloads and considering how responsive both the ORBX team and the people at FSS have been, I couldn't care less if I encountered another issue. A couple of hours later or the next day at the latest, it would be resolved anyway.

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

No need to apologise John as if you and the Team did not produce such good products there would not be the demand.

+1.  When you have 6,000 people trying to download at the same time, any online store will be brought to it's knees. I think even FTX Direct would feel it, unless it's running fibre optics.

Actually it wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. I had them all downloaded and the product installed within a few hours. I just had to be persistent in seeking a connection. Using a download manager as you suggest probably helped.

It took me hours to just get part 1 downloaded several hours after release but as soon as I enabled a download manager (which I have never had a need for), I got the remaining 3 parts in 30 minutes.   I have not installed it yet, that will be this evenings project....looking forward to it!!

Good luck John and all at Orbx including Adrian, saw the release yesterday and left purchase till this morning UK time, downloaded the 4 parts with no problems, used a combination of UK server and CDN1 and CDN2. Used 7Zip to extract all the files into one folder, the install ran like a dream, no problems with the wrapper. Have opened FXS and checked Scenery files entries. closed it down and ran a Defrag. Now off to explore.

Thanks

It took me about 28 hours to successfully download all 4 parts. This was not unexpected given my slow DSL (only thing available) speed here in rural Maine. The product installed easily and looks fantastic. A job very well done. You should be proud of your team, John.

Greg

To the ORBX Team and FSS,

Thanks for your efforts.

I have been and will continue to be a loyal customer since the days of the first AU DVD back in 2009?

Yep, the first attempts yesterday were frustrating but given the scope of the expectations I was not alarmed or put off.

I logged back in today and the download link at FSS worked. I was able to pick the most responsive of the download locations and with may max of 5.2 MB/sec with Internet Download Manager everything was downloaded in less than an hour with no errors.

My golf game also went well today so sometimes being patient is a good idea.

8 hours ago, Taph said:

Good luck John and all at Orbx including Adrian, saw the release yesterday and left purchase till this morning UK time, downloaded the 4 parts with no problems, used a combination of UK server and CDN1 and CDN2. Used 7Zip to extract all the files into one folder, the install ran like a dream, no problems with the wrapper. Have opened FXS and checked Scenery files entries. closed it down and ran a Defrag. Now off to explore.

Thanks

Thanks Taph, read your post and extracted all folders into ONE folder. Now installed and running a treat. Duh:wacko::wacko::lol:

Good of you to state the obvious to those of us with the tantrum issues.  Those of us living in the real world realize that the release of such an eagerly awaited product will result in a LOT of ppl buying it.  The logjam at FSS only lasted a few hours and I had no difficulty purchasing and downloading later that evening. Orbx produces great products and FSS does an excellent job of passing them on to us.

Hi John & Team....

Thanks for reaching out.....  after meeting you and the ORBX team @ FlightSimCon 2016, I have come to following conclusion,  We line up at Six Flags Parks in summer,  at airports for flights out, at Disney, at favorite restaurants, etc etc etc.   That's life.   Yes the demand estimation maybe not in place.... however it was not necessary. 

See the real problem .....is you and your fantastic team makes awesome product, that elevates FSX/P3D to different levels each and every time!! 

After my purchase in the first few hours it was released,  I was able to download and install incredibly complex software into a very old (shall we say decade old) game and make it work like a charm!!  If that's not magic I am not sure what is.  (and BTW it was 18 gig!!)

Back to FlightSimCon 2016,  you and your team took so much time/$$$/effort to come out and show each and every individual that came there, what you do,  how you do it and share it with us.   We were so lucky to have you and fantastic ORBX team visit North East.  That type of care on products that you and your team make and deliver.... I would have no issue waiting for few hours or a day or two.   Don't we wait hours to get U2 tickets?  'enough said. 

To make long story short.... minor inconveniences are abound in today's world..... at the end of the day,  its the product that matters and the team that backs it up that matters! 

I thank you for your passion for the hobby and leading an awesome group of super talented team.   

Have a good day,

Raj C

Pleasant Valley, CT

As one who got caught in the rush and failed to connect with FSS upon first try, I say "That's Life." ORBX is always worth waiting for, and FSS has always been good to deal with. If I can't support my two favorite sim companies in this moment when they are running into a few problems during such a successful product launch, phooey on me. Keep up the good work, ORBX and FSS. We're with you all the way!

Haha John, victim of your own success and poor Adrian. I am one of those checking for the YMML release and in the meantime I will purchase LC as well as finally England after the last update. Glad to see you are having problems which means success.....

Thank you to you and your team for being too successful.

Cheers

Miles - sitting in Sydney on a flight waiting to go to Melbourne....

Archived