Why do we ask "Have you installed the latest Orbxlibs?"

Ed Correia

Just about every installer for the past several years points out the need to have "the latest ORBX Libraries" installed so apparently they don't even read the information as they install their software.  "you can lead a horse to water but ...........!"

I have noticed that going to FTX Central 2 after installing a new scenery or update many times there is an automatic update of the scenery library.

On occasion the update looks like it is installing the entire library and will take a long time.  Then I just shut it down and manually reinstall the library.

Sometimes when I have glitch in the scenery I simply reinstall the library and it goes away.

Noel 

Totally agree that the figures are alarming, but I assume there are a lot of users who don't visit the forum or only install the libs update after an install and then leave it until the next install. As a prolific buyer of FTx products I am always having to install the libs but if i only had a few products and haven't bought any for long time(heaven forbid !!) then I can understand why the figures are as they are. 

Is there a way of getting the installer to install the latest libs automatically? May be the installer searching through the buyers orbx folder after install and if the latest is there then installing it or coming up with a notification to the buyer to install libs. I know that "we" do it automatically and that we download updates to products and libs via the notification in central, but obviously a lot of people don't by looking at the figures published by Ed.

FTX Central v2 already does this but to have FTX Central v2, first a

recent library version must be installed.

Secondly, FTX Central v2 must be opened and allowed to check for

updates before it can do anything.

To be fair, a customer who bought and installed products a long time ago

and who is happy with the way they work has no need to update the libraries

or anything else.

33 minutes ago, Airwolf said:

Another idea is to force install latest libraries with new products and with products with new p3dv3 installers.  This step will alone solve so many issues at once and bring consistency among all the library installs out there.

That may work only if the installers automatically download the latest FTX Central and Orbxlibs (as compared to bundling FTX Central/Orbxlibs with the installers). Or at least, perhaps the installer could detect that the currently installed FTX Central or Orbxlibs are downlevel and display a prominent (with a red background) warning message to the user, with a web link to the latest Orbxlibs.

Sorry to say I am always among those reluctant persons who tend to wait 2 or 3 weeks after any release before installing. I like to have all problems sorted out, before I change something.

"Never change a running system" is a more rigid formula based on that idea.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Other versions of FTX Central?

Version 1 if that is your question.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for replying, but no, I mean what other versions of Orbxllibs (# 3 in the ranking), Alex is referring to them  as "17.36% have versions installed other than those identified in this list!" 

18 hours ago, wolfko said:

Hi Nick,

Thanks for replying, but no, I mean what other versions of Orbxllibs (# 3 in the ranking), Alex is referring to them  as "17.36% have versions installed other than those identified in this list!" 

"Other versions" is either all those not included with the list or installs with a versions file that does not match any on record.

I took your advice and downloaded FTXORBXLIBS_151213.zip (437MB) and when I clicked on it to launch the installation I got-

"Windows cannot open the folder. The compressed (zipped folder) is invalid" . (I am running Windows 7 64-bit). So what next?

Incidentally, the FTX Central version I am using is V1.0 Build 1027 Nov 2011. I can't find any link to update this.

Most probably a corrupt download. Try another download from another node (there are usually three alternatives). BTW, you did not by accident try to start the installer from within the packed zip package without unpacking it first (using 7-zip or the like)?

I always keep the unpacked latest libs ready for re-installation.

Kind regards, Michael

I've also got into the habit of keeping an unpacked library installer in the temp folder I use to install my sceneries from.  It's the only program I don't delete the copy of, and having it there reminds me to install it after any ORBX install(s).

Cheers,

I have a feeling that a good many buyers feel that if the library is ok visually and they have all the sceneries they need It is possible that they don't bother until something else catches their attention

If it aint broke fix it till it is

Daft question time (it's what I do best) - can you confirm that I only need to keep the latest copy of the ORBX libs handy? I prefer to download and keep the file rather than auto install via FTX Central and I've got maybe half a dozen in my ORBX source directories now.

cheers, Andy

I'm sure there are many who take a "if it ain't broke..." approach and many who only have Global but I also think it sadly displays a lack of attention to detail and a reluctance to read instructions from many.

45 minutes ago, HAM447 said:

I'm sure there are many who take a "if it ain't broke..." approach and many who only have Global but I also think it sadly displays a lack of attention to detail and a reluctance to read instructions from many.

Maybe if there was an imogee for "Have you installed the latest Orbxlibs?"...

2 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Daft question time (it's what I do best) - can you confirm that I only need to keep the latest copy of the ORBX libs handy? I prefer to download and keep the file rather than auto install via FTX Central and I've got maybe half a dozen in my ORBX source directories now.

cheers, Andy

Hi Andy,

May I ask why you do not like installing it via FTX Central?

Hi Ben,

it seems that if I'm installing a bunch of products, for example after the recent sale (couldn't resist), it is often the case that I have to repeatedly re-install the latest libraries. I assume installing some of the older products puts older ORBXlibs in place? Plus, I have both FSX and P3D installed and that seems to involve duplicate prompts as swell.

But mainly, I don't like "remote installs" and would rather have a known copy of anything that gets put on my system, and have it stored in a location of my choosing. I really don't like software installations that insist on putting stuff in locations that I don't know about and have no control over. I accept that it may be necessary for %appdata% stuff and the like, if only because Microsoft have set the system up that way and there's not much anybody can do about those guys, but where possible I like to know what I've got and where it is.

Don't take any of that as a dig at ORBX. Actually, I think you guys have one of the most reasonable installation setups, although I would much prefer to see a common shared ORBX directory for a multi-sim setup like mine (and yes, I know I can rig round that and am actually in the process of doing that today).

Talking of that - don't suppose you can save me some investigation time and tell me how to tell FTX Central where to locate the ORBX directory? I've edited my FSX scenery,cfg entries to point to my P3D ORBX directory and FSX is fine with that but FTX Central now can't see the FSX ORBX directory (I renamed it although I haven't deleted it yet) and so thinks there are no products installed for FSX,

cheers,

Andy

Archived