Prepar3D V3 - free multi-installers coming for Orbx regions, Vector, OLC

John Venema

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do I assume correctly that in order to install our FTX products we will need to redownload all the products we own, or will the new installer be a standalone item that can be used to associate its self to an existing download file.

I ask because I will have to find room for another 120GB of downloads if the new installer is an integral item of a new download requirement.

Hello, what about the airports installers that still don´t had triple installers for p3d v2.5? I ask for them, because i don´t have any desire to migrate to p3d v3 for now. Can someone from the staff coment about that?

Thanks.

We are still committed to porting the remaining airports to P3Dv2.

I know that´s not the right forum but i can´t find anything in the net. Does anybody knows about the compability from FS GLOBAL 2010?

There is no reason why not. Mesh data are just "raw data" and there is no changes to engine which uses this data.

But if you try install it you can achieve some issues with simulator detection, but you can keep current instalation and add FS Mesh 2010 to v3 scenery.cfg manually with path to current instalation

I´ll have to install it completely new because my prepar3d wasn´t already 60 day old, so i decided to get the refund. So yesterday i took my final flight an deinstalled everything. Thank you very much for you answer. Greetz from Munich  ;)  And thank you Orbx for the fast announcement and your great products. Love them ::)

Read all previous posts and my main doubts remain...hope someone will be so kind and make matters clear to me.

1-Do Orbx users have to download everything once more or there will be a patch/patches to previous triple installers?

2-Think not, but read about some of Orbx products beeing installed on Prepar3d, with triple installers, no problems found. Is this true? If so, how is it done?

Have jus a few of Orbx products, they make THE difference, and will not buy v3 until everything I own (Orbx) is updated. Waited months for 3 installers, not wanting to do the same again, will keep 2.5 for the moment.

Thanks

I would like to thank the guys at Orbx for there efforts on our behalf which bring,s a lot of enjoyment to many simmers,it is refreshing and good to find a company that gives value without using any excuse to Rip poeple off! many thanks for a bloody good product and your honesty

peter

Q1. We are creating new installers, if you want to re-direct our current installers, you do that at your own risk. As to timeline, John says over the coming month. Global is first to be followed by openLC EU.

Q2. Yes 

Hey Ed,

So is it a safe assumption that we will have to flood FSS with traffic to re-download all of our installers to take advantage of the inclusion of P3D v3?

-Jim

Hey Ed,

So is it a safe assumption that we will have to flood FSS with traffic to re-download all of our installers to take advantage of the inclusion of P3D v3?

-Jim

Yes, though I would really only anticipate the v3 users would be downloading and considering v2 is just over a third of the customer base it shouldn't be too bad.

But then again, there will be the inevitable complaints from those that expect it now.

PMDG and HIFI have already release new installer yesterday. I am sad that I will have to wait a few months for all my orbx stuff.

In fairness, PMDG have 2 main products that need porting, and those are both aircraft. HiFi have one, and it's a weather engine.

Orbx has many, many times more products, ranging from large scale to small scale. It's going to take time.

As it stands, FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC (2 areas), and 15 full fat regions within a month is a lot of work to get through...

In fairness, PMDG have 2 main products that need porting, and those are both aircraft. HiFi have one, and it's a weather engine.

Orbx has many, many times more products, ranging from large scale to small scale. It's going to take time.

As it stands, FTX Global, Vector, OpenLC (2 areas), and 15 full fat regions within a month is a lot of work to get through...

I thought all addons were backward compatible with the V3 as per LM. Only the installer needs to point to the right folder. I do understand that you have a lot of product to cover. If your product weren't so darn good, I wouldn't be so sad. :-P

Thanks to Orbx for continually updating the packages - the improved VAS usage in version 3 I think will make it more than worth the wait to get the compatible downloaders and be able to fly in a sim without the fear of the dreaded OOM.

Just a quick question - does Orbx scenery install into a different location in version 3 vs version 2.x? The reason I ask is because I have read that Lockheed Martin have changed the filing structures in v3 so that updates to the sim core itself can be done without affecting various add ons - there seem to be directories for the core client, add ons etc. 

It would be interesting to know this as I think anyone contemplating putting Orbx in without the proper installers for v3 (if they direct to new folder locations) may find they have issues in the future when the core client is updated?

Many thanks

James

I thought all addons were backward compatible with the V3 as per LM. Only the installer needs to point to the right folder. I do understand that you have a lot of product to cover. If your product weren't so darn good, I wouldn't be so sad. :-P

As an example of additional work Orbx may have to do beyond installers, LM fixed the terrain/tessellation shift issue in v3. That means high-altitude airports that work in v2, might not display cleanly in v3.

Refer back to JV's original post of this topic, regarding airports: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/103534-prepar3d-v3-free-multi-installers-coming-for-orbx-regions-vector-olc/?p=934898

I know that´s not the right forum but i can´t find anything in the net. Does anybody knows about the compability from FS GLOBAL 2010?

We are developping hardware for FSX and P3D, so I installed P3D V3 yesterday. As FS GLOBAL 2010 and all the FS Global Ultimate had already be installed for V2, I just put the path in the scenery.cfg of V3, renumbered it and everything is working fine.

I also made some "install sets" of the FS meshes years ago, meaning that I simply copied the scenery-directrories which had been installed by the FS installer to seperate directories on my "FSX/P3D install set disc". F.e. I created a directory called FSGUX EUR for the FS Ultimate Europe mesh and copied the suitible scenery directory created by the FS installer into it. All is bundled in a main directory called "FSGlobal". 

Due to some reasons I have to reinstall my P3D every few months, so I simply copy the "FS Global install sets" (in this cases the entire "FSGobal" directory) to the P3D SSD and add the paths to the scenery.cfg (what can also be done in P3D itself). This method is much easier and much faster to than using my slow original FS Global DVDs.  

It would be interesting to know this as I think anyone contemplating putting Orbx in without the proper installers for v3 (if they direct to new folder locations) may find they have issues in the future when the core client is updated?

Many thanks

James

That's a very valid question indeed. I am not interested in ORBX doing it quick but doing it right. As far as I understand,P3D3 requires new installation directories outside the core simulator not to be overwritten by P3D core updates. Would ORBX respect this policy?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

That's a very valid question indeed. I am not interested in ORBX doing it quick but doing it right. As far as I understand,P3D3 requires new installation directories outside the core simulator not to be overwritten by P3D core updates. Would ORBX respect this policy?

I believe that Lockheed Martin is only recommending that products are not installed into the core simulator directory. Unfortunately, respecting this policy would be quite a lot of work for us (especially when we have a one month goal to get our core products updated to be compatible with Prepar3D v3).

I fully understand this, Ben. In other words we are faced to re-install our ORBX products every update iteration LM does?

In my eyes, this "recommendation" (I think it's part of the SDK but there's certainly no law to enforce it) is one of the most clever ideas of P3D3. It tries to manage the balancing act between users hating to re-install every 3 months and makers having to place their products somewhere.

Personally I would like to see it respected by ORBX (and other makers).

Kind regards, Michael

For me it seems that this is more than a recommendation.

Doing so is the basis for the new LM scenery management  avoiding OOM by "scoffing" all sceneries you are flying along which often resulted in loss of VAS.

During the beta, uninstalling and reinstalling the client did not cause any problems with Orbx software, therefore I see no need for anything to be installed outside of the directory.

During the beta, uninstalling and reinstalling the client did not cause any problems with Orbx software, therefore I see no need for anything to be installed outside of the directory.

That's good to know, Phil, but I'm a little surprised concerning Global Base which becomes core, by nature,  once installed and for the elevation adjustments of scenery\world\scenery .

Does reinstalling the client leave the Global textures untouched contrary to a repair which would bring back the default ones for instance ?

I believe that Lockheed Martin is only recommending that products are not installed into the core simulator directory. Unfortunately, respecting this policy would be quite a lot of work for us (especially when we have a one month goal to get our core products updated to be compatible with Prepar3D v3).

Hi Ben, I've sent you some comments by PM, but I know some of the staff have PMs disabled. Could you let me know if you've received it? ;)

Regards,

Tym

Archived