Prepar3D V3 - free multi-installers coming for Orbx regions, Vector, OLC

John Venema

I have to wonder what LM was thinking when they released this latest version, knowing full well how much work it would be for developers to "fix" their installs?  I mean, they obviously have good intentions by changing the file path feature as ti would help end users if a reinstall was needed, but it's like they really don't care what 3rd party devs have to go through.  I too am one of those who have a ton of add-ons to re-download, knowing it isn't ORBX's fault, but a really pain in the bee's behind.  On a positive note though, didn't I read that V3 would be LM's last "version" and in the future, it would just be patch installs?

-Jim

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please remember we did not ask LM to release a new point version and change folders and paths, nor could we preempt the final P3Dv3 structure during the beta stage, that's too risky as other vendors have already found out.

Just no liked nobody forced any of us to switch from a perfectly good working version 2.5 right now.  Why make the jump when you know that a large cross-section of your favorite addons will not function?  Damn, take some ownership of your own situation, people.

Just no liked nobody forced any of us to switch from a perfectly good working version 2.5 right now.  Why make the jump when you know that a large cross-section of your favorite addons will not function?  Damn, take some ownership of your own situation, people.

In defense of the end-users, I doubt they were aware that LM's file structure change would impact them like it is currently.  They also assumed that 3rd party devs already had a head's up to the new version...I know I did, but for me, I am being patient to wait for the new installers.  I am sure it is a high priority for ORBX right now, so maybe we should leave them be and allow them the time to get it out the door as quickly as possible.  The more qe argue over this, the more time that's lost.

-Jim

I haven't yet figured that out either, Rip.  Why change now when Orbx has told us it's going to be awhile until they can make their adjustments?  In the meantime, enjoy what you have, and make the changeover later.

Stew

Hell I don't mind that folks jump early, but don't blame third party devs later when half your stuff doesn't quite function correctly.  Own it, or jump back.

"It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you got."

I find it some what ironic that some people thing LM give a "tinker's damn" about FSX users switching to P3D v3 or even v1 for that matter.  Keep in mind that Lockheed Martin is a "defense contractor" providing P3D mostly to governmental and commercial users who represent 99.9% percent of their revenue.  These customers have the "deep pockets" (taxpayers) who pony up the price for the 'only game in town' they need.

Lets face it, FSX converters and third party development are but a pimple on the horse's patoot for LM.

Yes you will need to re-download all the installers because we'll patch them to the latest version and add support for FSX: Boxed, FSX:SE, P3Dv1, P3Dv2 and P3Dv3 - this needs a re-compile of the old installers.

Had LM released V3 with an option to install it to the legacy P3Dv2 registry/paths it would have saved us many months and thousands of man-hours of headache.

Although I of course feel sorry for the time it cost and the headache, I hope you don't mind I for one am happy with and looking forward to getting those shiny new up to date installers...! ;)

Lets face it, FSX converters and third party development are but a pimple on the horse's patoot for LM.

Don't know if you can say it just like that. First of all I do think LM is very happy with us simmers being paying beta testers and also take note that LM did listen to for instance Orbx (who for instance requested support for Speedtrees). 

That's why I installed v3 alongside v2.5 so I can still enjoy flying while testing v3 and waiting for add ons to become compatible. 

Judging by the previous two responses, they haven't looked back through the entire thread...answers and explanations are there. :)

-Jim

I noticed the same thing :)

Anyone who hasn't read the beginning of this thread, here's the original post by John Venema (Orbx CEO): http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/103534-prepar3d-v3-free-multi-installers-coming-for-orbx-regions-vector-olc/?p=934898

Hello Flightsimmers,

Besides all comments, seems like its not 100 percent tested yet, but apparently we can install the softwares(Global, Vector....).

Can you confirm that we can actually buy and install safelly on P3D V3  Global Base, and Vector ?   Sorry to insist, but after reading lot of pages, seems users encountered several issues, so i would preffer to wait a bit more if that is the case.

Thanks in advance  8) 

Besides all comments, seems like its not 100 percent tested yet, but apparently we can install the softwares(Global, Vector....).

Can you confirm that we can actually buy and install safelly on P3D V3 Global Base, and Vector? Sorry to insist, but after reading lot of pages, seems users encountered several issues, so i would preffer to wait a bit more if that is the case.

It's better to wait for the official new v3 compatible multi-installers. Those who did manage to get Global etc. into P3D v3 had to manually edit various files and still some things may not be working well. There is no (official) way you can safely install these products right now. The new installers will be released this month, starting with Global.

There is also the possibility of future updates not installing correctly or conflicting with "hacked" installs...just my two cents.  I'm still waiting patiently as I trust John and his band of merry men will come through with some awesome software.

-Jim

anyone hear from pilots global mesh? nothing on there website, i assume here maybe support from here.i know its required when vector comes out and i haven't heard a peep from them.last time they just had you check for an update, that doesn't work anymore.

anyone hear from pilots global mesh? nothing on there website, i assume here maybe support from here.i know its required when vector comes out and i haven't heard a peep from them.last time they just had you check for an update, that doesn't work anymore.

A very good question.  You beat me to the punch as I tried to reinstall it this evening and received an error when I tried to specify the V3 directory.  It was a shot in the dark.  I didn't see anything on their site about V3.  Last update from them was February of this year.

-Jim

Oh what a debate, what a thread.  In reality we are utterly dependent on action by Orbx and JV and to their timetable.  I shall try to comport myself with patience.

I understand in principle what the new structure of v3 is meant to achieve - and also a huge bias toward commercial simulator add-on makers.

But for me, I have no worries at all if Orbx replaces the default textures in situ.  I have never succeeded in restoring a backup and with OOM/VAS (JVs new customer) in the past I have done many reinstallations.  So I suspect I will continue to do so.

My one comment JV is that the academic version with its 'entertainment-like characteristics' is suitable for a less sophistcated treatment of the Scenery Client textures.  Go for it.

First they complain for having to pay for a "patch", then they complain for the lack of early compatibility, then they complain because of the doodoo they made in trying to insert legacy addons in the new version. Complaining is their hobby, Rip'. Actually , one should set up a special forum for them if the big A didn't already exist.

I wrote them a mail but they didn't find me worth a reply so far.

Kind regards, Michael

I wrote them a mail but they didn't find me worth a reply so far.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks for the info Michael.  I'll keep my ears open if you happen to get a reply.  It seems that many believe that Pilot's Global Terrain goes hand in hand with ORBX so you would think they would be a proactive with updates as ORBX.

-Jim

Archived