Welcome to Redding: A Tale of Two Airports!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'day everyone,

Cheers!

Jarrad

Amazing, that looks like a magnet acting on my credit card....

Would it be possible to make one slight change, Jarrad: Change the colour of the phone ladies dress from red (one of Broome´s most famous sights) to another, maybe yellow or light green? Don´t misunderstand me as a fashonista, it is just for the uniqueness... 8)

Looks absolutely amazing. I'm based out of KSAC, and seeing this done with Redding leaves me drooling for what could be for Sacramento as a whole. Incidentally, i love the improvement to KSAC. As mentioned in another thread, the State Capitol is missing and SMF is still significantly outdated, but seeing this makes me believe in what's possible. Thank you!

Thanks for the nice feedback guys, always appreciate it. I'll hopefully have some more to show you shortly. 

You have me very interested in the RAAF Canberra sitting there.....  Do you know what she is doing there?   I may just have to do some ADF research on her.

I was very interested about this too - apparently it's being renovated, but it seems to have been sitting in different long-term parking spots for at least a couple of years. A couple of my "brainstrust" beta testers, Rob A and Rob N, might have a little more info. Otherwise, here and here were a couple of good reference sites I used. 

Sure enough - at least one of the "sights" is quite a pleasant surprise!  ;)

Ha! I had you and Gerold in mind with this one :) 

(but: what an awfull dirty cabrio (4th shot): that guy is certainly more interested in his aircraft then in his car)

Indeed... the source car is derelict, also note the flat tires :) 

Wow!!! I don't know if I'm more impressed with this project, or the fact that the USFS has a Cobra.  ;)

Me too, I had never heard of them before doing research for this project. They even give a new model number for the fire version - Bell 209.

And here is where I get slammed for stating something obvious: You might want to look at the trailer parked at the FedEx warehouse. It's the wrong way round  :) Even the best driver in the world won't get a rig under THAT trailer  ;)

Nicely spotted - I'm glad you noted this, as I wouldn't have even thought of it :)

Would it be possible to make one slight change, Jarrad: Change the colour of the phone ladies dress from red (one of Broome´s most famous sights) to another, maybe yellow or light green? Don´t misunderstand me as a fashonista, it is just for the uniqueness... 8)

I'll see what I can do mate, but to be honest not sure if I'll get to it before release. We only have the "lady in red" for this particular variation in the ORBXlibs, I'll need to chat to Jorge to see what we can do. 

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

What they said! All of them.

Thanks for the previews, they look amazing. BTW, will the train go through town? I still love buzzing the train up north of Seattle (At Harvey?).

As much as I'd love to animate this train, it would be a very time consuming task given the topography for the area. Maybe one day we'll get AI trains for P3D? 

Thanks again,

Jarrad

Thanks for the nice feedback guys, always appreciate it. I'll hopefully have some more to show you shortly. 

I was very interested about this too - apparently it's being renovated, but it seems to have been sitting in different long-term parking spots for at least a couple of years. A couple of my "brainstrust" beta testers, Rob A and Rob N, might have a little more info. Otherwise, here and here were a couple of good reference sites I used. 

Hello Jarrad,

Thank you for the links.  I actually found the second one last night after you got me very interested in her.   What a story.  I highly doubt she will fly again (looking at the condition she is in), even the Temora Canberra is high maintenance.

Anyhow, your work on this airport is truly outstanding and I look forward to her release.

Kind regards.

Tim...

So nice of you to include a shot with both my old RX-7 Convertible and my father-in-law's old Chevy pick-um-up truck.

I haven't seen that RX-7 since the last time I flew into 74S Anacortes... probably not for at least a week. lol

(in reality I haven't seen my actual old RX-7 drop top since I traded it on my Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder 8 years or so ago.)

I had been figuring for the expense of buying Sekiu, NCA, & Half Moon Bay... not Redding. I guess I will have to re-figure it. LOOKS GREAT!! :)

Thanks,

Tom Wunder

All you guys at ORBX are a talented bunch of artists.  Jarrad, big fan of your work brother, you add the "Romance of Flight" that FSX has always lacked. If we ever get a Sim convention going here in Seattle, I hope you guys come out.  Ideally it should be held at the Museum of Flight at KBFI (Boeing Field).  In the Summer, June to Sept, Old Thyme Aviation does scenic flights around the sound in their 3 Bi-planes starting right out in front of the museum.  

The Canberra at Redding, according the airport manager, was indeed involved in a dispute.  I was told that it needed approx $500,000 to refurbish it at the time, but the government refused to issue a permit to do this.  The guns and armament were stripped and now she sits in the hot summer sun.  Sad but true!

Yes great idea. Dash 8 flights on Alaska Airlines and Cal State Forest Service OV-10 stationed there as well -- to great aircraft to fly. Would be a great add.

Redding looks great, Jarrad. Great choice! Looking forward to it.

Secretly hoping we find you again in OZ and up in Montana at some point in the future, since you did such a super job on those last two works of art.

This is really good! I live in Redding and never thought I'd see the day that we would have payware scenery, let alone of this quality. I think I can finally throw in the towel on my KRDD attempt for x-plane and feel at peace that someone did the area justice: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=74327#entry798861

I know how much work it is and I don't know how you pulled off so much content.

You guys are very talented, hopefully you'll consider an x-plane edition also but it's probably a lot smaller market. I do have one question, if you guys are doing the helipad for Mercy Medical Center, have you considered the rooftop helipad at Shasta Regional Medical Center? There is a REACH Bell 407 that is based from that pad but gets fuel and service at Benton 085.

Hey man, I see you are new, but maybe let's ease up on the 'request other airports' thing. You made your request (and I expressed my agreement with you) but let's not continue to derail this thread here. This is Jarrad's announcement thread for his new Redding project, and he's clearly already committed to it.

Now I am fighting my own inclination to ask Jarrad for about 3 dozen other airports --- maybe we can drag Russ and Misha and Lars and some of the fellas down this way (and Jim and Gordon and Heiko and Tim)....

Just recognized that US Forest Service / CalFire aircraft as a Grumman S-2 Tracker. Or at least I think I got that right. I recently read something about that on Wikipedia. Very cool. Looking forward to flying my CalFire OV-10 Bronco out of there.

You're riight Mr. Chairman. But I think after seeing Jarad's work we all in this forum secretly dream of what our favoirte airport would like if he Orbx-ed ha!!    Its just so many airports in NCA though.

Oh this guy is well known already for his work, so I think most folks here already dream about that, and not in secret. Be sure to check out his Broome (Western Australia) and his Bozeman MT, if you haven't already. The guy is good.

Hey feel free to start a fresh thread to list your top 10 most wanted NCA airports! I'll join in!

EDIT: I found this on Jarrad's profile page. Did not realize that he was the author of all these airports

KRDD/O85 - KBZN - YBRM - KSFF - KJAC - 74S - YBCS - YPJT - YCUN - YBLN

Thanks again guys :)

I haven't seen that RX-7 since the last time I flew into 74S Anacortes... probably not for at least a week. lol

Well spotted Tom, you are indeed correct that this rust bucket has made the journey down from Anacortes :) A photo of the original (from 2010):

UGXrs.jpg

All you guys at ORBX are a talented bunch of artists.  Jarrad, big fan of your work brother, you add the "Romance of Flight" that FSX has always lacked. If we ever get a Sim convention going here in Seattle, I hope you guys come out.  Ideally it should be held at the Museum of Flight at KBFI (Boeing Field).  In the Summer, June to Sept, Old Thyme Aviation does scenic flights around the sound in their 3 Bi-planes starting right out in front of the museum.  

The Museum of Flight is pretty amazing, and I did intend to take a scenic flight with those guys when in town last June, however the weather was a bit average for the couple of days I was there. 

This is really good! I live in Redding and never thought I'd see the day that we would have payware scenery, let alone of this quality. I think I can finally throw in the towel on my KRDD attempt for x-plane and feel at peace that someone did the area justice: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=74327#entry798861

I know how much work it is and I don't know how you pulled off so much content.

You guys are very talented, hopefully you'll consider an x-plane edition also but it's probably a lot smaller market. I do have one question, if you guys are doing the helipad for Mercy Medical Centerave you considered the rooftop helipad at Shasta Regional Medical Center? There is a REACH Bell 407 that is based from that pad but gets fuel and service at Benton 085.

Lovely work on your project - this is looking fantastic. In answer to your question, yes I did consider modelling Shasta Hospital too, however Mercy took me much longer  than I intended, so I'm not sure I'll have a chance to get to it. In lieu of it, you will find a generic hospital (with rooftop helipad) that bears a passing resemblance to the real-world version :)

Cheers,

Jarrad

Jarrard,

I thought that RX7 looked like a typical rust bucket from Washington!  Hardly enough rain here to get a car dirty like that, but it fits in ok.  lol

As for Shasta Regional Medical Center, it's not much to look at really, all blocky and all.  As long as it has a landable helipad on top it will do.  Mercy Hospital on the other hand is a much more interesting complex and you have captured its essence to a T.

You know, regarding the old Canberra, I have to say that there a lot of great guys at KRDD who restore (or at least try to restore) the oldies. There's even a Wright Flyer there!... Unfortunately, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, as they say and I noticed a lot of restorations there are either unfinished and essentially abandoned, or rushed and "modded" to get it done quick...

There's an old Tiger Moth based there that when I saw it at the Redding Air Show, I wanted to punch the owner/restorer in the face... It was all just flat brown (no classic livery) which was bad enough, but the worst of it was he had removed the old Gypsy Major (inverted inline) and bolted a damn Lycoming O-360 (horizontally opposed) engine in it's place! The plane had been butchered... Now maybe as a Brit I'm a bit biased, but I wanted to cry as soon as I saw it...

Ok... rant over... 

This was the most impressive pre-release I've seen here on Orbx (ask others to forgive me, and I confess I have not seen every one).

But what I liked most was the specificity of the features-coverage sections, the area geo-political-tourism description and the plentiful and abundant array of shots specifically highlighting the POI's and the description!

The specifications were given.

Congratulations, Jarrad. I will be one of the buyers!

Cheers,

Sinesio

Ok thanks I will start a new topic in Genera Discussion intitled Northern California airport wish list.  You can "host it" because you're big dog,ha!  I can start it there and move/copy it to a more appropriate location if need be.

No reason to be sarcastic to other ORBX customers, after all, you did hijack the thread for your own personal agenda.  And who knows, if NCA becomes as popular as PNW did, some of your requested airports may come to fruition.    ;)

..bugger....

Évery time I see screenies from a new project, I go "Well, that's it. We've reached the pinnacle of what's possible. Nóthing can beat this.."

..And thèn, something like this comes along. My goodness! Bob is going to do some brisk walking and sightseeing here. Tóns to see&enjoy befóre I even take to the air....

Archived