Share your desk / cockpit setup here!

Daniel Taylor

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks cool any way, I want to build something that I can fly both GA planes and commercial airliners,

and my set up eventually will be a permanent set up...  at least that's the plan and being

able to look at all the great set ups people have here are great,. as much as we'd all like to be like Frank and build

a full 737 cockpit its not always possible.. thanks guys any chance this thread can be a sticky??

• 4 months later...

I am enjoying the Airbus and since I got the 318/9 am now getting fully immersed.

So to keep me happy here is my Bus drivers simpit, until I can win the lottery and get the Flight deck Solutions version

I put my laptop on a slide out shelf and moved the joystick to the left. The things we do for enjoyment..

simpit1.jpg

simpit2.jpg

Still have my L plates on my chair though.. :D

Edit:

Went a bit mad this week and updated the FCU to the vrInsight A320, so will use the 737 one when I fly Beoing.

simpit3.jpg

Pen-y-Fal in Abergavenny used to be the nuthouse, shame they closed it, as I could be a candidate.. :D :D

On screen is a 319 flight from Alicante - Barcelona with EFB moving map on the lappy and Virtual Avionics FMC on the Tablet..

I know I'm not the oldest one here, but I've got the easy chair simpit (of course it is also a home theater). I just transitioned to a yoke setup instead of joystick, so I built a little structure for the yoke, quadrant and pedals which moves out of the way to be replaced by a foot stool for kicking back to music or a movie. The computer itself is actually in the garage behind the wall with the screen. You'd be surprised how much less dust gets in the CPU case when it is in the garage!

ZTitz.jpg

ZXU37.jpg

Your the only other simmer I have seen that uses an easy chair as well. In my case I have the controls to the left and right of my chair (twist stick) so I can fly feet up lol. I also use a short throw projector which also fit nicely in your room as well

just wow ! O0O0O0

Yes indeed, I do pinch myself sometimes :)

I have 'So' much more done lately, instructor tablet, the new Lido charts and the list goes on...

I did have an issue too :(

I keep a 'Full' PC log and went back six steps lately, all back to normal now but the only way I can find the offender is go forward one step at a time and leave at least a week between each step!

Did EGGP to EIDW tonight - Great flight.

• 2 months later...

My space is limited, and my desk has to be used..... as a desk. Getting a sim pit in was a challenge.

It's a three screen main setup using AMD Eyefinity video cards because when I started NVidia didn't have a cheap video card with three monitor outputs.

Just about everyone with three monitors were using TripleHead2Go on top of a high end NVidia card. A LOT of money!!!

The AMD Eyefinity video cards worked very well, so I've stuck with them.

I wanted several of the Pro Flight instrument panels but the price was too high.

Just for a basic six pack (at that time about $125 each), would have been $750.

Two small 9" USB monitors were MUCH cheaper.

I used a section of shelving track to hold the small monitors. That let me move them out of the way when it was needed.

1361321140.jpg

Then just drop them into the slots & plug in one USB cable each. Start to finish apx. two minutes.

1361261823.jpg

1361251382.jpg

The 9" screens are perfect for "glass" instruments too.

1442088873.jpg

Later, I also added a DesktopAviator GPS to the monitor setup. WELL worth the money!

1372691653.jpg

As more time went by I added more and more.

I have a CH Products yoke.

Did I tell you that I like to make easy mods?

I flattened the top of the CH yoke, and added 4 LED switches to the front.

The Saitek Backlit Information Panel was moved to top of the yoke where I could see any changes.

1393757953.jpg

The LEDs come on when The switch is flipped. They work wingtip floats, amphibious rudders, etc.

1394302603.jpg

NOW, things are starting to look pretty good. :D

One of the latest things added is a second Saitek switch panel.

The mount was modified to have a sharper angle when I mounted it under the edge of my desk.

1394364214.jpg

1394378285.jpg

Now that I have two switch panels, I can re-purposes the upper one.

The rotary switch is now a fuel selector. The Gear UP/DOWN lever is now the parking break. Some of the switches now work radio/NAV, etc.

Thanks to SPAD.neXt it's simple to reprogram the Saitek panels.

There have been many simple mods, like these, that make it better in small ways.

1362142624.jpg

Replace those terrible little knobs!

1367152351.jpg

The device on the left with a blue light is a volume/bass-treble remote that came with the speaker system. It helps to keep stuff off the desktop that I use a lot, but don't want taking up much space.

However some weren't so simple & cheap, but are worthwhile when paired with the right software.

1369055365.jpg

1369021429.jpg

The iPad Air 2 is the best thing I've bought in years, not only can you use iPad FSX/P3D apps, but you can use professional real world flight navigation software like ForeFlight that connects to FSX/P3D via FSUIPC. :) The Synthetic Vision that comes with ForeFlight is absolutely exceptional. Nothing like it has ever been done by any FlightSim developers in any aircraft.

-Andrew

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought I would restart this old thread seeing as so many are posting their home cockpit setups, which are really cool by the way!

Here was my build process, I based my cockpit idea off of the one that the gentleman from www.ontheglideslope.net built with a bit of my own modifications.

Here was my version 1.0 complete with greasy kids finger prints on the gauges monitor

3IlRYOW.jpg

Here is the progression of build version 2.0 (please ignore the messy basement):wacko:

UOoDq9M.jpg

Xu61lNv.jpg

gjSsXka.jpg

K9T7D8q.jpg

40sMycU.jpg

zIYWtSr.jpg

cockpit lighting test

wGxjt7f.jpg

The outside with Duct tape edging ..........HAHA:P

Heunit7.jpg

And here is the inside, complete with hardwood flooring.....had some left over

P46l1ux.jpg

c3dyU0P.jpg

3jYjdkr.jpg

The front screen is a 42" TV but will soon be a 60" and two 32" screens will be added for the side windows when I update my system for the new Sims

U2quNrW.jpg

DE3EUMD.jpg

I really hope everyone posts more of their SimPits and I also hope you enjoyed mine.

Cheers!!!

My desk still needs to function as a desk sometimes - but gradually the simming gear has slowly started to take over :)

I can't see myself going all the way to a cockpit, but at some point I'd like to add some throttle quadrants and two side monitors to make a 3 screen setup. That will require a bigger/deeper desk though and maybe a monitor stand/arm of some sort. I suppose if I get that far it's not a big addition to add another ipad and I reckon some of those saitek gauges would look nice, or maybe even a hardware GPS unit of some sort......

Hmmm, this hobby has a way of sneaking up on you doesn't it!

Desktop-Cockpit.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have made a further improvement by adding side skirts to my three curved screens.

I had two pieces of thin Aluminium cut like this and painted black.

VJ8mIhj.jpg

Now from the front the setup looks like this 

fU1voQ0.jpg

And from the rear it looks like this

BeyZzsF.jpg

The result was better immersion.

Cheers

Ken

5 hours ago, Ken Terry said:

I have made a further improvement by adding side skirts to my three curved screens.

I had two pieces of thin Aluminium cut like this and painted black.

Now from the front the setup looks like this 

And from the rear it looks like this

The result was better immersion.

Cheers

Ken

Great craftmanship beyond my poor abilities I reckon and  an impressive setup Ken, but don't you deprive yourself of the great VC front panels  that we have now ? 

Archived