Share your desk / cockpit setup here!

Daniel Taylor

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ken

Thank you.

I have a purpose built, air conditioned out-building; this houses the 737 Sim, C172 Sim (under construction) Server Room, WC, Kitchenette and Spectators Sofas (with live cockpit view on 50inch TV).

It all sounds elaborate I know, but I'm hitting forty in January and if i didn't do it now I may never have done it. It makes me happy and enhances my quality of life :)

Andrew, sounds like a dream setup, could you kindly share with us some more pictures of the building, server room, kitchen, and spectator areas.

Keep us posted on the build of the C172 pit.

I am hitting 77 next June, so you have made me think about time left to spend bulk dollars.

Regards

Ken

Andrew, sounds like a dream setup, could you kindly share with us some more pictures of the building, server room, kitchen, and spectator areas.

Keep us posted on the build of the C172 pit.

I am hitting 77 next June, so you have made me think about time left to spend bulk dollars.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken

Of course I will mate, I will take some more pics today for you; I'll post later :)

Hello Ken

Here are some more Photos; remember all is still under construction - Painting, flooring etc to do!

Original Idea and Plan:

x7YH.th.jpg

Front Elevation:

qRH1w.th.jpg

Private Decked Courtyard:

zXWe4.th.jpg

Server Room:

2NxJi.th.jpg

Sofa Space - Still Needs Painting & TV On Wall:

J5dLA.th.jpg

Sofa's x 2 - Ordered:

wvPuF.th.jpg

Cessna Sim Room & Screen; Nat Crea Is coming from OZ In Novemeber to do the visuals again!:

uBz8W.th.jpg

Flooring, Lighting & Drink Facilities:

wesnY.th.jpg

Doorway to 737 Sim:

UeZpQ.th.jpg

Me In the 737:

PgrKG.th.jpg

Couldn't resist - My new dog - collection in November :)

wxoAa.th.jpg

I hope you like it - It will be so much nicer in a months time once it is finished - I will post more in december if you like?

The Cessna is being built on a one man motion sled (2 dof) and is based on the Accu-Sim C172. I have a Simkits MIP, Wet Compas, Motorised Trim, Flight Illusion full radio stack and Chrono, Real TQ and Mixture levers and real ignition and handbrake lever. I also have the Brunner FFB Yoke - Which is great by the way.

Andrew,

What a great and extensive setup. It makes me ask what your background is with respect to flying/simming. How do you use it, obviously it is not just for personal enjoyment as it appears that you as a minimum share it with friends and neighbours?

ugghh!!!

Hi Paddler

I just spent 5 mins writing a reply and my laptop shut down!!!

Anyway I was just saying in 2010 My son and I built our first desktop sim and just kept going!

My two sons and 'select few' friends use the sim and me, well I love building them!

Andrew,

A brilliant combination of hobbies to share with your sons. I can imagine how much fun it was to share that time and the skills to build with the boys, and the flying as well. I am afraid that not many fathers and sons (or daughters) get to experience quality time as that. Well done you on all counts!

I look forward to seeing more as the work progresses.

Thanks Andrew, very impressive, my next task is to convince the wife I need to move my desktop sim to a dedicated building in the back yard and spend $100,000 on a major rig. Or perhaps $200,000, er maybe $300,000

Keep us up to date with the fitout and if you ever come to Sydney AUS then PM me and visit.

Regards

Ken

Thanks Andrew, very impressive, my next task is to convince the wife I need to move my desktop sim to a dedicated building in the back yard and spend $100,000 on a major rig. Or perhaps $200,000, er maybe $300,000

Keep us up to date with the fitout and if you ever come to Sydney AUS then PM me and visit.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken

If ever I'm in Sydney I will look you up :)

Some great set ups here.

This is mine for FSX, Combat sims and some Games, the corner desk I won on Ebay last year from an ex call centre place that went into liquidation, its near enough perfect for my use but still needs a few more mods, the chair I use (and not pictured) is a Herman Miller Aeron (size B) very expensive from new, but again I put this in my Ebay watch list and eventually won a good one at a steal of a price from another Call Centre liquidation... I have a Buttkicker attached to it too, but not used it in ages ... The Aeron chair is easily the best PC hardware upgrade I've done in my whole life, before this I was going through generic £100+ PC chairs about once a year.

This is my Flight sim desk as of now, pics are a few months old but its not changed much in that time, please excuse untidy networking cabling and other stuff, renovations going on here and its all quite temporary.

I've tried to keep it as modular as possible so that I can quickly set up my racing wheel or yoke setup as my mood demands, apart from being a keen Flight Sim fan I like to play other game titles too, so its always gonna be generic compromise with me, love some of the dedicated home cockpits here though ... Just awesome.

DSC_0288_zpsfb2a0b6b.jpg

DSC_0287_zpse7d13a39.jpg

DSC_0286_zps6bcb005c.jpg

DSC_0285_zps3e8b35f7.jpg

DSC_0284_zpsb0499e4f.jpg

DSC_0283_zps04d50bf8.jpg

DSC_0281_zps2943a9bb.jpg

DSC_0279_zps22773cd5.jpg

DSC_0277_zpsa7a5b222.jpg

DSC_0276_zpsb812ccdc.jpg

DSC_0273_zps81e9b29c.jpg

DSC_0272_zps8e5a87f7.jpg

DSC_0271_zps6bdab223.jpg

DSC_0270_zpse1bf778a.jpg

Is that your wife in the picture?

Ken

I wish it was, that's Jo Guest, a sort of UK  (page 3) glamour Dolly from yesteryear I met once at a Bike show, I jokingly asked her if she would send me a pic signed, she asked for my address and I forgot all about it, then the picture was delivered about 2 weeks later.

Very nice Lady, really down to earth.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on my desk cockpit, installed a real Boeing clock and now I have iFMS running on my second 10" Android tablet.

iFMS will enable you to program the FMC including SIDs and STARs and will track your aircraft on the ND display on the right half of the screen. Get iFMS here http://www.ifms-fs.com/

In addition added a GoFlight GF-46 which you can see a bit of near the throttle handle, it is on a COM1 reading, this usually is set for my Transponder setting, but it can be flipped into COM1 when I need it. Get a GF-46 here http://www.goflightinc.com/collections/modules/products/gf-46-multi-mode-display-module

9sFhQ.jpg

Regards

Ken

I know I'm not the oldest one here, but I've got the easy chair simpit (of course it is also a home theater). I just transitioned to a yoke setup instead of joystick, so I built a little structure for the yoke, quadrant and pedals which moves out of the way to be replaced by a foot stool for kicking back to music or a movie. The computer itself is actually in the garage behind the wall with the screen. You'd be surprised how much less dust gets in the CPU case when it is in the garage!

ZTitz.jpg

ZXU37.jpg

Hi,

Very nice pit´s folks!

But what really get´s to me is that I see alot of musicians who enjoy flying! Guitar player here too, so I guess music makes our imagination fly and that´s why we like to fly  ::)

I had two whishes, one, be a rock star, never made it but I have a home studio (DAW) and enjoy playing, two, wanted to be a pilot, not enough money at the time so now I fly in P3D.

Not everybody has these dreams, so I think we are ALL very fortunate to be doing something we like.

Keep them coming!

Rob, those 3-way Yamaha´s are sweet!  Iam a big fan of Yamaha, acustic guitar (LL-6m), studio monitor´s (MSP-5).  It´s hard to find 3-ways now days, I still have my 3-way Infinity speakers for my Hi-Fi pushed by a 1974 Sansui AU-555 amp in mint condition with a Thorens TD 280MkII turntable. I love LP´s and finding old LP´s in garage sales!

Thanks folks!

Care,

Mike

Rob, those 3-way Yamaha´s are sweet!  Iam a big fan of Yamaha, acustic guitar (LL-6m), studio monitor´s (MSP-5).  It´s hard to find 3-ways now days, I still have my 3-way Infinity speakers for my Hi-Fi pushed by a 1974 Sansui AU-555 amp in mint condition with a Thorens TD 280MkII turntable. I love LP´s and finding old LP´s in garage sales!

Thanks- those Yamahas really sang after I re-capped them (they are over 30 years old after all). They don't make them like that anymore unless you pay an exorbitant ransom!

Thanks- those Yamahas really sang after I re-capped them (they are over 30 years old after all). They don't make them like that anymore unless you pay an exorbitant ransom!

Thank you Rob for posting, and yes it looks like a confy room.

That was my concern when I bought the Sansui, its caps, but so far so good, and yes I paid some money for it second hand, but the good thing is that if you look  you can find vintage gear for very cheap. I have another Sansui that I found in a flea market for 30 bucks. this one is from 1981. If you need schems or help check out AudioKarma...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/

The Sansui replaced my Yamaha amp, can´t remember the model, AX something...but to me the more actual Yamaha I had sounded great with digital but not so with vinyl, so my conclusion is that vinyl sounds better on vintage gear on 3-way´s.

Sorry for the off-topic folks, but rock and roll and planes go together  8)

Thanks Rob and good care!

Rob, What size screen? Looks about 8ft away. Do you use it for "normal" text stuff and in that case it it readable? Is the structure you built for yoke/controls "wobbly" and special construction to prevent that?

When you get tired of those chairs I'll take them!!

Rob, What size screen? Looks about 8ft away. Do you use it for "normal" text stuff and in that case it it readable? Is the structure you built for yoke/controls "wobbly" and special construction to prevent that?

When you get tired of those chairs I'll take them!!

The TV screen is indeed about 8 ft away and is 55". Readability is not a problem- as long as I have my glasses on! I use it for other computer tasks, particularly web-surfing and HTPC duties. The yoke podium is very stiff (and made of 1" thick oak) and it sits on carpet spikes so it doesn't move. If I did it different, I would have made the bottom platform about 6" wider (along the "roll axis") because extreme elevator movement (i.e. hitting the stops) can rock it a little. Aileron, rudder or throttle quadrant actions make no movement at all. Of course, I am moving from a joystick on my lap so it's all relative.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived