This Week's Meaningless Topic (#194)(May 22)

Hi all. In a world full of snarky pessimists and cynics, this Forum gang seems to be able to remain optimistic and good-humored. Being a light in a dim world takes wisdom and effort. The world needs more like you. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  How do you stay positive in a negative world?

• Like 3

80+yrs I've seen and heard it all Rodger, so nothing is new to me I just do what I've always done. I was in Guantanamo Bay in 1962 during the Cuban missile crisis, Vietnam and so on, so. Whatever will be will be.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

In Germany we have a saying:

"Mach es wie die Sonnenuhr, zähl die schönen Stunden nur!"

Do it like the sundial, count only the beautiful hours!

I think it is normal we forget the bad times faster and more regular.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

For me, it's a matter of keeping the largest perspective -- "This too shall pass." Helps me hold back from getting pulled into passing catfights. Plus, religious faith points me toward a time when history is completed and all is well. That may not work for everyone, but it keeps me grinning. 😁

• Like 6

I sometimes say to myself:

The mighty ones have always tried to rule the world throughout history,

but hey, what are they without the people. 
History keeps repeating itself and sadly some people will never learn from it,

but freedom always finds its way.
Live your life the best you can. You only have one.
So give every day a chance to be the best day of your life.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Working for a museum that was run by a county government, I always had to deal with politicians with bright ideas (dangerous) who thought they knew more about running a museum than the museum professionals.  There interference was annoying at best, and destructive at worst.  Consequently I had this quotation prominently displayed on my office wall;

“þæs oferēode, þisses swā mæg”

"That passed over, this may also."

It is the refrain from an Old English poem Deor from the 10th century Exeter Book. (Rodge, I try, in vain, to teach my parishioners that the King James Bible and the Book of Common Prayer (Rite I) IS  NOT Old English).  The poem is a lament of a court poet who was fired from his job, and tells of five instances in Germanic Legend/History that were worse.  Each account is followed by the refrain.  So it is today.  Those horrible things passed over, we can hope these will too.

It's a lesson for or time, for all time.

For the entire poem (it's short) with original text and translation, as well as a theoretical performance of it being sung see this:

Deor – Tha Engliscan Gesithas (tha-engliscan-gesithas.org.uk)

The harp, or lyre being played is a reconstruction of the one found the sixth/seventh century ship burial at SUTTON HOO.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

In Germany we have a saying:

"Mach es wie die Sonnenuhr, zähl die schönen Stunden nur!"

Do it like the sundial, count only the beautiful hours!

I think it is normal we forget the bad times faster and more regular.

Love that saying, Gerold. Thanks for sharing it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

Working for a museum that was run by a county government, I always had to deal with politicians with bright ideas (dangerous) who thought they knew more about running a museum than the museum professionals.  There interference was annoying at best, and destructive at worst.  Consequently I had this quotation prominently displayed on my office wall;

“þæs oferēode, þisses swā mæg”

"That passed over, this may also."

It is the refrain from an Old English poem Deor from the 10th century Exeter Book. (Rodge, I try, in vain, to teach my parishioners that the King James Bible and the Book of Common Prayer (Rite I) IS  NOT Old English).  The poem is a lament of a court poet who was fired from his job, and tells of five instances in Germanic Legend/History that were worse.  Each account is followed by the refrain.  So it is today.  Those horrible things passed over, we can hope these will too.

It's a lesson for or time, for all time.

For the entire poem (it's short) with original text and translation, as well as a theoretical performance of it being sung see this:

Deor – Tha Engliscan Gesithas (tha-engliscan-gesithas.org.uk)

The harp, or lyre being played is a reconstruction of the one found the sixth/seventh century ship burial at SUTTON HOO.

Ken

Good one, Ken. þancie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bluebear said:

Thanks, Ulrich. Truly words to live by.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, adambar said:

80+yrs I've seen and heard it all Rodger, so nothing is new to me I just do what I've always done. I was in Guantanamo Bay in 1962 during the Cuban missile crisis, Vietnam and so on, so. Whatever will be will be.

Que sera sera. At 80+, me too, Adam. Older and wiser, Ja?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

By remembering life in the mid-1950's. Starting high school. Meeting Sandi Lee. Getting a drivers license. Dating Sandi Lee. Buying my first car and watching the submarine races with Sandi Lee. Did I mention that I was crazy about Sandi Lee? Just remembering her makes my whole world positive.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

For me I have found

1. don't read too much news - I like to know what's happening but so much news is negative, so sometimes being an ostrich is wise.

2. focus on what you can change and pass by what you cannot influence, otherwise you are likely to become sad and  frustrated

3. be happy with your own achievements however small and recognise the same in others.

4. I always feel however bad things get there are always someone else worse off.

I could go on but I might get cynical, believing that people are motivated purely by self-interest  and  distrustful of human sincerity or integrity, many are,  but NOT all.

I think I'll go an lie down now all that thinking makes me tired.....

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, W2DR said:

By remembering life in the mid-1950's. Starting high school. Meeting Sandi Lee. Getting a drivers license. Dating Sandi Lee. Buying my first car and watching the submarine races with Sandi Lee. Did I mention that I was crazy about Sandi Lee? Just remembering her makes my whole world positive.

Here's to all the Sandi Lees who have made our lives better just by being there!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I find that reality is reality.

We can dwell over everything that is terrible 

going on in the world, or appreciate the the good life we have.

There will always be famine and world conflict sadly.

Appreciation of what we have good, including a sense of humour

can make a big difference.

cheers

Gumby

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, pilot100 said:

For me I have found

1. don't read too much news - I like to know what's happening but so much news is negative, so sometimes being an ostrich is wise.

2. focus on what you can change and pass by what you cannot influence, otherwise you are likely to become sad and  frustrated

3. be happy with your own achievements however small and recognise the same in others.

4. I always feel however bad things get there are always someone else worse off.

I could go on but I might get cynical, believing that people are motivated purely by self-interest  and  distrustful of human sincerity or integrity, many are,  but NOT all.

I think I'll go an lie down now all that thinking makes me tired.....

Lotta smarts there, Brian. Good on ya!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

I find that reality is reality.

We can dwell over everything that is terrible 

going on in the world, or appreciate the the good life we have.

There will always be famine and world conflict sadly.

Appreciation of what we have good, including a sense of humour

can make a big difference.

cheers

Gumby

And beer...? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

All good points and I love the positive attitudes displayed by such a diverse bunch of simmers from all over the world.  Brian pretty much sums up my way of living/thinking.  I try to see things as a glass half full instead of half empty.

Funny you bring this up Rodger as just this afternoon I was washing my travel trailer, listening to the birds with new babies, soaking up the sunshine and cool breezes and wondering how I deserved such a wonderful life.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

All good points and I love the positive attitudes displayed by such a diverse bunch of simmers from all over the world.  Brian pretty much sums up my way of living/thinking.  I try to see things as a glass half full instead of half empty.

Funny you bring this up Rodger as just this afternoon I was washing my travel trailer, listening to the birds with new babies, soaking up the sunshine and cool breezes and wondering how I deserved such a wonderful life.

And you're smart enough to be grateful, Rob. More joy to you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Loads of excellent points mentioned here and I try to live according to them - and I think I do.

I have no idea, why my wife ( she is 15 years younger than me) calls me a grumpy old man though. 🤔

• Haha 8

It’s my birthday today and I move from the locomotive to the first wagon of train number 7.

By reading the stories and life lessons off all posters sofar, a agree with most of the comments.

To be still able to do what you like is the  most comfortable thought to share for 70+ flightsimmers.

In my case I dare to say: up to the next decade...😉

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

On 5/23/2024 at 7:41 AM, John Heaton said:

NIL ILLIGITIMUM CARBORUNDUM!!

first I had to google this....

I personally only catch the news headlines once a day, most of it I can't change so I am not going to sit around thinking about it....coming on here keeps me sane and we don't get the bickering I see elsewhere....

also we had a saying in the Army - 'if it can't kill you don't worry about it' seems to have worked for me.....

finally you're a respectful interesting bunch from all corners of the round world 😁 who quite often make me laugh, so thank you....

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, wain71 said:

I personally only catch the news headlines once a day, most of it I can't change so I am not going to sit around thinking about it....coming on here keeps me sane and we don't get the bickering I see elsewhere....

also we had a saying in the Army - 'if it can't kill you don't worry about it' seems to have worked for me.....

finally you're a respectful interesting bunch from all corners of the round world 😁 who quite often make me laugh, so thank you....

Sounds like a great plan, Wayne. And I couldn't agree more about this forum bunch. Fine bunch of blokes.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, wain71 said:

That's where I first heard the saying  - along with the song -

"Bless them all - the long and the short and the tall - Bless all the sergeants and WO 1s - and Bless all the corporals - and their Ba@#$%d Sons";)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My Dad jokes ME laugh! I've never grown up. I'm the most immature 58 yr old I know. I'm positively hilarious! Just ask my wife.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

On 5/22/2024 at 3:42 PM, Bluebear said:

That's the problem they only want a select few of us walking around but that'll not going to happen without a  fight, especially in the US.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, boetie said:

My Dad jokes ME laugh! I've never grown up. I'm the most immature 58 yr old I know. I'm positively hilarious! Just ask my wife.......

Graeme, my grandson gave me a book of Dad Jokes for Christmas. Said I needed to up my game. I asked my wife if that was true. She changed the subject. 😁

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, adambar said:

That's the problem they only want a select few of us walking around but that'll not going to happen without a  fight, especially in the US.

Yes, Adam, you're probably right, but it would be so easy, if we don't play their games and stay peacefully. 

• Like 4