This Week's Meaningless Topic (#180)(Feb 16)

Hi all. Three Orbx FSX/P3D airport packages are my all-time favorites: The Tacoma Narrows is an airport I visited every week when we lived on the coast; Felts Field is an airport here in Spokane where I have done live touch-and-goes; and the PNG Bush Strips are exactly my idea of a perfect flight experience. Now, Orbx is offering two Idaho bush packages and a series of PNG back-country villages for MSFS. Darned if I am not going to try yet again to master MSFS -- I have to experience those remarkably realistic beauties, which will no doubt join my all-time list. And that brings us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Which Orbx airports are on your all-time favorite list?

• Like 7

I'll start with Catalina (KAVX) and Sedona (KSEZ).  While flying the West Coast  I base myself at Santa Barbara or Palm Springs.  I really wish Orbx would do Camarillo (KCMA) for all platforms including P3D.  But I dream in vain.

Farther north, I love Felts Field and Cle Elum (S93), but unless I fly IFR the Washington weather keeps me away.

There are others that are also great.  Two more Nyack-Blue Canyon, and Kern Valley (L05).

On the East Coast Nantucket and Bar Harbor are favorites. But I've been out west for PilotEdge.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

my first and still most favourite airport was KORS, loved it when I first got it, occasionally just go there and fly something small in and out of there....TE scenery for Xplane was the most game changing experience for me, Xplane 11 was so different in those areas....

There are so many, and as always the MSFS that @Marcus Nyberg does is always one you must pick up, you'll never be disappointed...

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I'm with Bluebear, so many great sceneries.  I also particularly enjoy Larry Robinson's sceneries like Nanaimo, Ganges, and all along the Sunshine coast of BC.  But, I think KORS is my all time favorite.  I've been there probably 5-6 times IRL and love exploring that island.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Well I love flying around Australia, at least I know where I am . But those last couple of days  I tried something  more eccentric Flying  from Calcutta  to Paro VQPR in Bhutan.  Trying to land on rwy 15 nestled amongst towering mountains . I heard  only a dozen  or so Pilots are licensed to fly the 320 on  that dangerous route . Needless to say I am  not one of them . despite several attempts .  I ever  anyone of you has ever tried  this airport, I be interested to hear what settings to use for this crazy approach . I the meantime I stick to OZ.  Incidentally I found YPDN for MSFS for a few bucks on the European  site SIM Market

Charles

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

For me the most important inspirations I got from

- Bowerman / Hoquiam

- Cairns

- AYPY Port Moresby / PNG

These airports invited me to explore whole regions. And afterwards I even travelled in real to two of them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I certainly should add Bowerman/Hoquiam to my list.  Neat airport with a lot of character, and it's free.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Having a local airport beautifully modelled is special so I have to put Dundee near the top of my list!

Always loved flying around the Pacific Northwest in FSX\P3D. Having so many interesting airports to fly between was great.

Hard to pick out a favourite but I seemed to end up going through the valleys to Darrington quite often.

I also loved those fascinating airports in remote bits of Norway.

You felt the chill sitting by the computer :lol:

Hammerfest ENHF perhaps.

All the best,

John

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Currently marooned at Monterey until my knee (replacement) heals enough to fly.  Maybe tomorrow.  Heading north towards Rodge.

But Hoquiam/Boardman Field!  A favorite fantasy has always been to fly into Bowerman  in the sim, and park outside Lana's then go up to lunch to enjoy a $100 hamburger (in my own kitchen, or in summer on the porch).  Then, A few years ago we got the devastating news (almost as bad as Miegs) that Lana's had closed.  In was a sad day in Sim World!  But sitting here, nursing a sore knee, I happened to look up Lana's on the web, and found a website, menu, and reviews.  So my question to my PNW chums, Has Lana's been rescued?  Is it still there?

Ken

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ken Q said:

Currently marooned at Monterey until my knee (replacement) heals enough to fly.  Maybe tomorrow.  Heading north towards Rodge.

But Hoquiam/Boardman Field!  A favorite fantasy has always been to fly into Bowerman  in the sim, and park outside Lana's then go up to lunch to enjoy a $100 hamburger (in my own kitchen, or in summer on the porch).  Then, A few years ago we got the devastating news (almost as bad as Miegs) that Lana's had closed.  In was a sad day in Sim World!  But sitting here, nursing a sore knee, I happened to look up Lana's on the web, and found a website, menu, and reviews.  So my question to my PNW chums, Has Lana's been rescued?  Is it still there?

Ken

You don't mean Monterey Calif do you?

We have a local airport Cafe here that's pretty good, actually two of them

One at Willow's (KWIL)called Nancy's Airport Cafe   https://www.facebook.com/nancysairportcafe/

and one here in Redding at Benton Airpark (O85).

Air Park Cafe at Benton in Redding, CA  I was able to take all the photos for Jarrad Marshall when he did KRDD and O85, lot's of fun.

image.thumb.jpeg.b06db06848ffab170407c4ea0538406e.jpeg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

One at Willow's (KWIL)called Nancy's Airport Cafe   https://www.facebook.com/nancysairportcafe/

Well, yes, virtually.  In the physical world I'm over 3000 miles east, on Long Island, New York.  But in the sim I fly the west coast to take advantage of PilotEdge services.  But with Orbx scenery it is not a great leap to imagine being there.  Hence my comment.

I love the PNW, but hate the more usual weather.  I prefer to go VFR, which can be a challenge in Oregon and Washington.  But I like your suggestions, Rob.  Orbx KRDD  is one of my favorite airports.  But I have flown into Benton a couple of times.

Actually this suggests a TWMT (Rodge!)  Something about favorite airport eateries, SIM and Real World.

Ken

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Air Park Cafe at Benton in Redding, CA  I was able to take all the photos for Jarrad Marshall when he did KRDD and O85, lot's of fun.

image.thumb.jpeg.b06db06848ffab170407c4ea0538406e.jpeg

Great picture, Rob.

From KMRY I'm heading north, KSAC next, then up to Medford and Redding.  Rather than KRDD, I'll try O85 again.  But I also see that the business side of Benton, including the cafe, is closed.  Is that true?

Seems the war against General Aviation continues.

Ken

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 10:02 PM, gumbypickett said:

Graeme I'm with Wayne. A hanky has many uses.

After a day or two you can use the other side wipe your bum

on it if your desperate and stuck on a bus, or use a key with your

hanky and clean your ears out. Then at the end of the week throw it

in the wash with the tea towels.

They are very versatile.👍 

cheers

Gumby

On 2/25/2024 at 10:15 AM, BradB said:

Have a great Birthday Andreas .

Cheers

John

On 2/19/2024 at 9:24 PM, John Burgess said:

Having a local airport beautifully modelled is special so I have to put Dundee near the top of my list!

Always loved flying around the Pacific Northwest in FSX\P3D. Having so many interesting airports to fly between was great.

Hard to pick out a favourite but I seemed to end up going through the valleys to Darrington quite often.

I also loved those fascinating airports in remote bits of Norway.

You felt the chill sitting by the computer :lol:

Hammerfest ENHF perhaps.

All the best,

John

You'll have to look at Dundee NSW on Google Earth/Maps John, you'll notice it is quite the bustling metropolis. 

My Dad was a Dundoneon (sp)  and my Grandad was born in Dunoon. Haven't visited either since 1983 when I was 17. We have a UK trip planned for Christmas so hoping to visit both this year - fingers crossed.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, boetie said:

We have a UK trip planned for Christmas so hoping to visit both this year - fingers crossed.

If you make it to Dundee do let me know Graeme.

Would be good to meet up if it would fit in!

Do you still have family in this part of the world?

I moved up here a year after you last visited (1984).

All the best,

John

• Like 2

On 2/28/2024 at 7:49 AM, John Burgess said:

If you make it to Dundee do let me know Graeme.

Would be good to meet up if it would fit in!

Do you still have family in this part of the world?

I moved up here a year after you last visited (1984).

All the best,

John

Aye John, I have a couple of cousins around the region.

If it fits in will definitely let you know.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 2