This Week's Meaningless Topic (#150)(July 21)

Hi all. The news is full of weather-related stuff this month -- heat domes camped over suffering regions, floods afflicting whole cities, wind and fire making life miserable for many. Here in Spokane in the Pacific Northwest of the USA we are having a more or less normal summer: hot, dry, windy, smoky, same as we usually have this time of year. But how about you? Let's find out via this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  How's the weather in your part of the world this summer?

• Like 4

Here in my little corner of South west England we had a very hot June, but since July started we have had a lot of rain, interspersed with the odd sunny day or two, apparently summer is coming back on 14th August but don't hold your breath...

• Like 3

Here in central Florida the temperatures are quite a bit above average. And climbing. For many, this kind of heat could be/is deadly. Sadly, the forecast for the coming years indicate that the temperature rise will become even worse. I just celebrated the forty-first anniversary of my 39th birthday. And I'm glad I don't have long left. Remember, though, there is no such thing as climate change.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Here in the sub-tropics it's the middle of winter. So far pretty typical winter weather. Cool, sometimes cold nights with warm sunny days. Summer is our "normal" wet season.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 2

Here on Long Island, in the North East US we had a cool June for the beginning of the summer.  It had also been very dry, with drought conditions.  Until a week ago we were more than four inches below normal in precipitation.  That all held through the beginning of July.  Then the weather changed, and it got much warmer.  Still we've yet to have days over 90 Fahrenheit, but it has been uncomfortably warm and muggy.  Then the rains came.  The worst of the storms missed here, passing to the west and north, causing serious flooding and fatalities, including two little kids swept away.  We've not had these problems here, but we still made up our four inch deficit in one afternoon.

Our real problem has been air quality.  Depending on the winds we've gotten a lot of smoke from the Canadian fires.  One day the brown/orange haze was so thick I couldn't even see the house across the street clearly.  Although not so bad today, when I went out this morning to get the newspaper I could smell smoke.  

But yeah, Canada is burning, California is burning, the Colorado River is drying up, and kids are being washed away in flash floods, but Global Warming is a hoax.  Even in Florida, a state that stands to be greatly affected by stronger and more numerous hurricanes.

Ken

• Like 3

Today being Winter, it's sunny clear skies but a coolish 12deg C.

Yesterday it was horrible, wet windy and cold. My kids myself and other

family members spent the day clearing out house supplies from 

my ex wife's house. Sadly she was found deceased two days ago.

She had a lot of issues. The cleaning will take at least a week.

I will leave that to your own imagination.

RIP Joanne.

cheers

Gumby

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

RIP Joanne.

cheers

Gumby

Sheesh Mate - my thoughts go with you - I had a similar activity a few years back - my brother died 5 days before he was found

• Sad 4

Last week we had a call, brother in law found dead at his house, been there for about 3 weeks, he'd removed his self from all contact a few years back, very sad time for all..

Hope you all get through it ok Gumby..

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, John Heaton said:

Sheesh Mate - my thoughts go with you - I had a similar activity a few years back - my brother died 5 days before he was found

It's very sad what happens to people.

Some people just don't want help or can't be helped

despite everyone else giving their all.

cheers

Gumby

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, wain71 said:

Last week we had a call, brother in law found dead at his house, been there for about 3 weeks, he'd removed his self from all contact a few years back, very sad time for all..

Thanks mate it's a little tough for my kids because they

and everybody else were on the receiving end of her as well.

cheers

Gumby

• Sad 2

It doesn't happen often that you can see your breath in the air. It happened last night! Such a thrill!!!

8 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

RIP Joanne.

cheers

Gumby

6 hours ago, John Heaton said:

4 hours ago, wain71 said:

• Like 3

Central Valley Cali here... normal weather for the summer.  100+ temps but not hot since it's a dry heat. Shade trees are a big help in covering the house.

Power bill $130... neighbors $400+... ouch!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Currently in Valencia at the Mediterranean Sea. Every day between 36 and 39 deg C, which is slightly higher than expected. But INCREDIBLY humid. Breathing already is a task, we all take a shower 3 times a day and permanently change shirts, as they stick to you once you move outside. Not longer an area to go for Summer holiday.

I have never experienced this in earlier decades. But as said above, true genius experts say this is no change, just different from the past…

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Currently in Valencia at the Mediterranean Sea. Every day between 36 and 39 deg C, which is slightly higher than expected. But INCREDIBLY humid. Breathing already is a task, we all take a shower 3 times a day and permanently change shirts, as they stick to you once you move outside. Not longer an area to go for Summer holiday.

I have never experienced this in earlier decades. But as said above, true genius experts say this is no change, just different from the past…

Hope still enjoy your vacation Gerold. 

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Just got back from Turkey where it was a steady 40c. Saw one cloud all week and that was a little fluffy one over a mountain. Cooling breeze was nice. In evenings it didn’t get below 34c. 

Back in the UK and it’s low 20’s c. Layers of cloud, bit of rain. Not unpleasant.  We had a warm June and it looks like August will be too.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/21/2023 at 4:11 PM, flyingleaf said:

Way, way way too hot here in Langley, BC. I'm getting heck from "She who must be obeyed":o, because my Beer bill is getting way too high:angry::unsure::P. Cheers guys have a great weekend and don't forget drinking lottsa liquids:P.

I spent a lovely hour in Langley on Friday - on the freeway heading for Vancouver. We went to a wedding so did drink lots of liquids on Saturday.

Larry

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Well, it's raining here in sunny(?) Minehead.  Everyone says we had a warm June but somehow it must have missed me.  I'm never warm these days.  But at 90 what can you expect?!.   I'm writing this by the way, on my new...ish laptop.  It's just been rebuilt and so far (err wish me luck) it's working well.

I just wish I could get The Seekers back.  I'll get there in the end!

JohnY

• Like 1

I must have missed what you had Wain.  Mind you I'm only allowed out on Tuesdays for my weekly visit to the golf club for coffee.  Then I'm taken back home again and helped into the lift to the second floor until the following week.  At 90 it's a hard life trying to find more Amazon books to read on my Kindle!

Talking about the golf club, the manager called me into his office a few weeks ago and said; 'You only come here on Tuesdays for a couple of hours so to save you having to pay your subs I'm chucking your membership away and you can come as a visitor from now on'.

So, I now go there for free, my coffee is bought for me, I visit the Pro' shop and insult the Pro's, go back and have another coffee and insult the members in there. Then I watch them teeing off the first accompanied by more insults and guidance on what they should have done.  Then my wife takes me home happy.  I enjoy Tuesdays!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, John York said:

I must have missed what you had Wain.  Mind you I'm only allowed out on Tuesdays for my weekly visit to the golf club for coffee.  Then I'm taken back home again and helped into the lift to the second floor until the following week.  At 90 it's a hard life trying to find more Amazon books to read on my Kindle!

Talking about the golf club, the manager called me into his office a few weeks ago and said; 'You only come here on Tuesdays for a couple of hours so to save you having to pay your subs I'm chucking your membership away and you can come as a visitor from now on'.

So, I now go there for free, my coffee is bought for me, I visit the Pro' shop and insult the Pro's, go back and have another coffee and insult the members in there. Then I watch them teeing off the first accompanied by more insults and guidance on what they should have done.  Then my wife takes me home happy.  I enjoy Tuesdays!

Good on you John. Keep it up mate!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/27/2023 at 12:04 PM, John York said:

nice one John, where we have a static caravan down in Somerset we have a Country Club (club house) on the 18th hole, you can sit having a beer or a meal and watch them come in, I can't really comment on their play as my only golf played is on my PS5, and that's in easy mode with the wind off...😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1