This Week's Meaningless Topic (#115) (Nov 18)

Hi all. The Soccer World Cup tournament is about to start, and over five billion people will be following it on TV. Many of our Forum folk are among them, and that brings up this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What is your happiest soccer memory, either from the field as a player or from the stands as a viewer?

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of football or futbal, however one might spell it or play it.  My freshman year in college Phys Ed was required, and I had a professor (if you can call him that) who was a soccer nut.  This was in the late '60s when the game was largely unknown in the US.  He made us play it.  I hated every minute!  So in response to the question, my happiest soccer moment was the last P.E. class ever!

Ken

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

I'm not a soccer fan. But I do watch them

throw seats around the stadium. Relieves the

boredom for them I figure.:P

cheers

Gumby

I have to assume,Gumby, that you're referring to watching on the TV.  Amusing occupation, but I can't see paying for it.  Which brings up another topic, only loosely related..  TV!

I've long had Verizon "triple play", phone, Internet, and TV.  I've grumbled to myself about the cost, because TV is not a "thing" for us.  We are probably in the .0001% of the world who NEVER watch TV.  Last time I turned on broadcast TV was 9/11.  Before that was the Challenger disaster.  Just not something we do, though in the winter we enjoy watching a selected DVD on our nice home theater system.  So, coincidental, A Verizon person came to call, and I got to revamp our service, eliminated the cable TV we never use, and saved $100 A month.

Ken

• Like 1

if I have to have one memory - it would have to be England's defeat of Germany in the World Cup Final in 196?

I have never seen a soccer game live - a few times on TV - because I find it so boring

Give me Rugby League any time and the RL World Cup Final This weekend between Australia and Samoa

at Old Trafford Manchester -

So my American friends - if you want to see a Game of Hard Knocks - that is also played

on a pitch 100 x50 - without any Padding or helmets - and is not based on 10 yards at a time - start watching Rugby League:)

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

Give me Rugby League any time and the RL World Cup Final This weekend between Australia and Samoa

So my American friends - if you want to see a Game of Hard Knocks - that is also played

on a pitch 100 x50 - without any Padding or helmets - and is not based on 10 yards at a time - start watching Rugby League:)

Plus, John, don't forget the warrior dances before the match. That's worth a ticket price right there!

Edited by Rodger Pettichord
quoting correctly
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ken Q said:

I have to assume,Gumby, that you're referring to watching on the TV.  Amusing occupation, but I can't see paying for it.  Which brings up another topic, only loosely related..  TV!

I've long had Verizon "triple play", phone, Internet, and TV.  I've grumbled to myself about the cost, because TV is not a "thing" for us.  We are probably in the .0001% of the world who NEVER watch TV.  Last time I turned on broadcast TV was 9/11.  Before that was the Challenger disaster.  Just not something we do, though in the winter we enjoy watching a selected DVD on our nice home theater system.  So, coincidental, A Verizon person came to call, and I got to revamp our service, eliminated the cable TV we never use, and saved $100 A month.

Ken

Definitely on the TV Ken but only when it makes the news.

I have a few pay TV stations which I may watch if there is a 

decent programme on. Youtube is ok but TV is utter rubbish.

cheers

Gumby 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, John Heaton said:

if I have to have one memory - it would have to be England's defeat of Germany in the World Cup Final in 196?

I have never seen a soccer game live - a few times on TV - because I find it so boring

Sorry John as a sincere Aussie I have to disagree.:D

When my brother and I played out the back yard

around the age of 4 or 5, we played catch while running and never

realized at the time we were playing Rugby.

To much skill for me.:lol:

Come on AFL.

cheers

Gumby

p.s Don't shoot the messenger.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, John Heaton said:

First of all John, Rugby is not near as violent as an NFL game, or do the players have the size, strength or speed. I would be willing to bet a Rugby player wouldn't last 5min in a game before leaving on a gurney. :D

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, adambar said:

First of all John, Rugby is not near as violent as an NFL game, or do the players have the size, strength or speed. I would be willing to bet a Rugby player wouldn't last 5min in a game before leaving on a gurney. :D

You Just have to be joking - heres one of the world cup games last week - between our lot and the Kiwis - Is he right folks;)

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glenn McGrath, tripping over a football in cricket warmup session - Ashes 2005. Oh dear, what a shame, he couldn’t play the match.

For the uninitiated, cricket is a proper sport played by men who respect the Umpire (referee).  Glenn McGrath was an ok-ish bowler (pitcher for our US friends) who had some moderate success against England over the years.  

Over to our Aussie friends! 

• Haha 3

I used to like football before the premier league and sky, now I can't be bothered with it.... you breathe on an opponent and he falls over..

Best memories, playing in Kenya and having a pitch invasion by elephants was hilarious...and playing in goal for the Army against Gibraltar and winning 2-1...

Now I prefer NFL, I even sometimes watch college football that I can watch here in the UK, used to be ESPN now it's BT sport...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, John Heaton said:

You Just have to be joking - heres one of the world cup games last week - between our lot and the Kiwis - Is he right folks;)

Well, John, the videos apparently were so violent that we Americans got a notice that the "uploader has not made them available in your country." Point taken, eh? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

No happy memories of soccer:unsure:. I was short and fat as a kid and they made me play soccer:angry:. Couldn't run fast:angry: enough so when I had the ball I would kick those well playing "jocks" in the  shinbones:D and picked up the ball and wouldn't give it back. Those were the day my friends:D. Cheers guys that is my soccer story. Now football is a different story that is what I call sports.:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Rugby Union - a hooligans game played by Gentlemen

Rugby League - a hooligan's game - played by Hooligan's 

a side question here John, why do they not contest scrums in Rugby League? is it a rule or something else? makes them a bit pointless...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wain71 said:

a side question here John, why do they not contest scrums in Rugby League? is it a rule or something else? makes them a bit pointless...

From: Breaking the Law: bring back contested scrums in rugby league | NRL | The Guardian

As scrums are now, they may as well make the players form human pyramids. Why not? A rugby league scrum’s only purpose is to gather six players in one part of the field and alternate possession. Blokes get a rest. And that’s it. It’s the Ritual of Handover. To which most thinking people ask, why have them at all?

I love Rugby Union and League is supposed to be faster, more dynamic but it's never grabbed me.  I like the almost medieval style of Rugby Union - none of this hand the ball over after a couple of goes..

• Like 2