Which sim is best?

paulb

Don't answer this question!!!!!

I was looking on another forum recently about the release of X Plane 12.

Gosh, I could not believe the negative and comparison comments about what is still effectively a beta. It does annoy me!

My opinion - all sims are great! Even earlier versions like FS 2004, which I still have.

What 'makes' the sim for me is the add-ons. Be it scenery, aircraft, AI traffic, whatever. For every sim that I have used in the past 20 years I always look for add-ons (both payware and freeware) to make the experience better.

These add-ons have transformed my experience in the simulator and I am very grateful to all developers for their hard work.

Just saying.........................:)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, I thought this would be shut down faster than you can say Bob's yer uncle.

I think all of them going back to 1982 were great, at the time, then as software and hardware improved the next iteration made the new one even better.

What "makes" a sim for me is smoothness first and foremost, no stutters, second is planes where everything works, not "eye candy" producers but deep planes which I know are not for everyone.  

I too am very grateful for all the work these different sim producers, scenery developers, and plane builders put in, I know I could never do it unless I devoted enormous amounts of time I don't have to learning it.

Way back in the 80's I couldn't even imagine a time like this where we have so many sims and with so much realism.

Not even gonna say "which is the best" that's a powder keg.  I think the "best" for a person is how they personally feel about it.  I honestly don't like to see such negativism in this community.  Instead we should count our blessings.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I'm with you guys on this boat.  I've never even given much though about which sim might be "better" as I've enjoyed them all.

I still remember years ago (maybe FS9) when I first spotted the red/green wingtip lights of an AI jetliner below me through some wispy clouds as I head from KSFO to KSEA.  Completely blew me away and brought about the biggest smile.  Sims today still do the same thing.   That along with the good people here at Orbx and a few other sites makes for a great hobby.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rob Abernathy said:

I'm with you guys on this boat.  I've never even given much though about which sim might be "better" as I've enjoyed them all.

I still remember years ago (maybe FS9) when I first spotted the red/green wingtip lights of an AI jetliner below me through some wispy clouds as I head from KSFO to KSEA.  Completely blew me away and brought about the biggest smile.  Sims today still do the same thing.   That along with the good people here at Orbx and a few other sites makes for a great hobby.

I can remember Fleet Defender by Microprose Rob. Back in 1994, it was the first time that I saw aircraft markings on a plane in a sim. I was in awe! :)

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Yeah, I thought this would be shut down faster than you can say Bob's yer uncle.

I think all of them going back to 1982 were great, at the time, then as software and hardware improved the next iteration made the new one even better.

What "makes" a sim for me is smoothness first and foremost, no stutters, second is planes where everything works, not "eye candy" producers but deep planes which I know are not for everyone.  

I too am very grateful for all the work these different sim producers, scenery developers, and plane builders put in, I know I could never do it unless I devoted enormous amounts of time I don't have to learning it.

Way back in the 80's I couldn't even imagine a time like this where we have so many sims and with so much realism.

Not even gonna say "which is the best" that's a powder keg.  I think the "best" for a person is how they personally feel about it.  I honestly don't like to see such negativism in this community.  Instead we should count our blessings.

I agree Jack. This is a friendly forum (unlike some others).

I was just getting frustrated by the stupid 'judgements' that I was reading elsewhere. A bit like "mine is bigger than yours" and so on. Hence my post. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Because this is a friendly forum and because our moderator has a full pack of common sense, this thread is going well. I'll add my two cents to say I agree with the above. Every iteration of flight sim I've had was a thrill as I discovered some new realism. And when Orbx hit its stride and we could get improvements of whole areas and chicken-strutting, bear-lumbering, dolphin-jumping local sceneries--oh my heavenly days! Over the years, my wife has gotten used to me calling her to the computer with a "Look! Look! You have to see this!" as each version adds more and more to the experience. Which is the best flight sim? I agree with the comments above--they all are!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I love simming period! I fly whichever sim that is working best for my current desires at that given time. I don't even consider one better then the other. I just use what I want, and everyone should be able to do that without judgement or little slanted, sarcastic comments that we still see even on here sometimes. If I want to play Lawnmower simulator (it is an actual thing) I should be able to do that and talk about it without being talked down to, or yelled at, or made fun of. It's not like I am using YOUR computer to play a sim on and taking up your PC resources. It's laughable how ridiculous people can be about another sim that they are not a fan of. On here we are all fans of flight simming, and that is all that matters to me :) 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, paulb said:

I was just getting frustrated by the stupid 'judgements' that I was reading elsewhere. A bit like "mine is bigger than yours" and so on. Hence my post. ;)

I could never understand this mentality, it’s very foreign to me and I’m ever so glad it isn’t allowed here and is rarely seen here.

Landon described it really well.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I just enjoy what I have and try to always just live in the moment

This brings to mind what I asked a friend once (he was a very talented photographer) what is the best camera to have?

His answer was the one you have with you at the time.  I think that this applies to many things we experience in life.

And as so many of you have said "we are all fans of the genre, which is flight simulation" .  How we do it and what we do it with doesn't matter

as much as we enjoy what we do. :)

Cheers

Pete

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, W2DR said:

The best sim? Easy to answer. It's the one that you can still use when you're over 80 and suffer from CRS.

That's a button on the Honda Jet that you press for constant speed - or "Cruise Control" and at 87 that is very useful

Meanwhile - I still fly P3D 4 and 5  to use my huge hangar of old planes that have not yet surfaced in MSFS and the

same with XP and today just looking at the trial version of 12  ----after flying the freeware Bombardier 6000 a

100 million $US private jet which is all I can afford on my OA pension in MSFS - and is the answer to the ???

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think when I hear on other forums people bickering about 'mines' better than yours' they just need to grow up...I currently have and use MSFS and XP 11 & 12, P3D just been removed but don't be surprised if it comes back at some stage...I use all of them, I also enjoy all of them, we have come a long way and I have enjoyed the ride, I also feel privileged as being a tester for Just Flight I get to see the hard work some very talented people get up to.....I did try DCS, it wasn't for me but wow what a superb sim...

I say enjoy what you enjoy and worry less about what someone else gets fun from, it don't effect you... 

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...