This Week's Meaningless Topic (#84) (Apr 16)

Hi all. Easter is coming, a day of special celebration for us who practice the Christian religion--and for all who like chocolate bunnies and jelly eggs. For me as a retired clergyman, it's a special day of remembering not only the resurrection of Jesus but also the many people I served over the years in the parishes to which I was called. Whether or not we are religious, most persons have moments when they feel the awe of being part of something bigger than themselves. Perhaps it is on a mountain or on the sea or in the Outback or on the moors; wherever it is, we suddenly feel the wholeness of it. And that brings us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Where do you most feel a part of something beyond yourself?

• Like 2

Take the dog out for a late night wee.  Across the road and in to a wood.  On a clear night, the sky, the stars, the hugeness of it all.  Makes me realise how little everything is in comparison to what’s out there….

And if the moon is up I give a wink to Neil too.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

In the mountains...mountains are a spiritual place for me.

Landon

Ah yes, the mountains!  And the gorges! And the canyons!  

The San Juan range in the Rockies (New Mexico and Colorado), and Toltec Gorge.

But the most Awesome (I mean full of AWE, not as used colloquially) was the first glimpse of the Grand Canyon.  We took the steam train from Williams to GC, Bright Angel Lodge, then climbed the stairs, and there it was!  I was overwhelmed!  Such majesty, such splendor! Such beauty!  

As an 7th century English Shepherd said (Cadmon):

"He aerist scop   aelda barnum

heben til hrofe, Haley scepen;

tha middungeard   moncynnaes uard,

Ece dryctin, after tiadae,

firum foldu,  frea allmectig".

(He (God) first shaped for man, heaven as a roof, the holy Creator; then eternal Lord created Middle Earth as mankind's ward (yard), the firm earth, the Almighty Lord).  

The wonder of creation!

Ken

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

Ah yes, the mountains!  And the gorges! And the canyons!  

The San Juan range in the Rockies (New Mexico and Colorado), and Toltec Gorge.

But the most Awesome (I mean full of AWE, not as used colloquially) was the first glimpse of the Grand Canyon.  We took the steam train from Williams to GC, Bright Angel Lodge, then climbed the stairs, and there it was!  I was overwhelmed!  Such majesty, such splendor! Such beauty!  

As an 7th century English Shepherd said (Cadmon):

"He aerist scop   aelda barnum

heben til hrofe, Haley scepen;

tha middungeard   moncynnaes uard,

Ece dryctin, after tiadae,

firum foldu,  frea allmectig".

(He (God) first shaped for man, heaven as a roof, the holy Creator; then eternal Lord created Middle Earth as mankind's ward (yard), the firm earth, the Almighty Lord).  

The wonder of creation!

Ken

I do agree with Ken on the Grand Canyon. That is the one other spiritual geographic location for me. I have been there twice, to the South Rim and to the North Rim. While the South Rim is awe inspiring, it does not hold a candle to the splendor and magnificence of the North Rim. Even the 45 minute drive from the entrance to the North Rim through beautiful pine forests and emerald green mountain meadows is amazing. And then, you burst out of the forest to the edge of the North Rim. I stood there upon my first gaze from that spot and was literally moved to tears. Simply moving. Good call Ken. I was last there in 2017...I need to go back soon. Thankfully, I live right on the edge of the Rockies, so I can hit those majestic mountains on any given day that I feel like it. :) 

Landon

Edited by Sniper31
  • Like 5

Where do you most feel a part of something beyond yourself?

Actually - in my dreams  --- which seem to be so real and living in another World

However - in keeping with Rodger's Easter theme -

Kneeling at the slab in the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem !

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

SCUBA diving one time in our Golf Islands swimming through a huge beautiful Kelp forest and playing with a huge Octopus. Unforgettable the beauty of that animal and its curios gentleness. Lasted for five minutes until it slowly swam away from me. The highlight of my life. Mother Nature is beautiful. Happy Easter to All. Cheers k.:)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1