This Week's Meaningless Topic (#78) (Feb 5)

Hi all. In this time of increasingly dire news, it doesn't seem appropriate to skip about lightly. Yet, at the same time, it has always been true that laughter is the best tool to cope with adversity. With that dichotomy in mind, we offer this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S TOPIC:  What has made you laugh lately, despite all the bad news?

(I'll start. My wife and I have been given the giggles by a little moth who has gotten into our apartment. It has an elaborate wood-pattern camouflage that it is quite convinced is effective as it "hides" against our pure-white walls. "Can't see me--I'm invisible." We play the game and say, "Moth? Where's the moth?" as we walk by this dark dot on the light surface. A small grin but a happy-making one.

• Like 7

My cat, Indiana Jones, makes me laugh daily. I make sure and play games with him every day, and he just loves fun time. One game he loves to play with me is hide and seek. He literally will go hide from me, and wait for me to find him. Once I find him, I then go hide fast, and he will come searching for me. Rinse and repeat for about 15-20 minutes. Always makes me chuckle as he gets so excited when we play this. 

Landon

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

We have a little black spider that made a home at the back door between the wall and door trim.  I almost squashed it but decided it could stay.  It's built quite a tidy nest/web in the corner and doesn't run and hide from me passing by anymore.  My granddaughter has named him Darth.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

We have a little black spider that made a home at the back door between the wall and door trim.  I almost squashed it but decided it could stay.  It's built quite a tidy nest/web in the corner and doesn't run and hide from me passing by anymore.  My granddaughter has named him Darth.

Good for you Rob. Spiders are the most misunderstood insects. They are amazing, clean and incredibly useful. I've always loved those little critters and save them every chance I get. My son is a big 50 year old strapping lad, but when he sees a spider he screams like baby. Lol. k

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Good for you Rob. Spiders are the most misunderstood insects. They are amazing, clean and incredibly useful. I've always loved those little critters and save them every chance I get. My son is a big 50 year old strapping lad, but when he sees a spider he screams like baby. Lol. k

I too love spiders and think they get a bad rap a lot of the time. THEY EAT BUGS (and sometimes small rodents)...what else needs to be said? ;) 

Landon

Edited by Sniper31
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

18 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

I too love spiders and think they get a bad rap a lot of the time. THEY EAT BUGS (and sometimes small rodents)...what else needs to be said? ;) 

Landon

My wife works with me at the living history museum; I run Lewis Ritch's (1776-1835) shop, while my wife keeps the house. A couple of years ago we had a spider set up house in the back kitchen where it wove a beautiful, and very effective web.  Now early 19th century houses don't have screens, so flies are a nuisance, so the spider was welcome.  My wife referred to it as the" vice-president in charge of insect control ".  I named it Carl, after the folk song " Carlton Weaver".  

Ken

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, John York said:

My daughter and her bloke has just left.  They're visit cheered me up enormously and then I watched the news again.  Wrong move!

Wrong move John, I haven't watched the MSM for years. It's all smoke and mirrors anyway. People are starting to wake up to what it's all about.

Anyway, think about the good times, and do things you like to do like listening to the Seekers or watch a good movie, anything but the news.

Glad you  had a great time with your daughter and her bloke as you say. :D

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Great present adambar thank you.  It's nice to see that 'The Seekers' are still producing their wonderful music.  Looking old now of course but still a wonderful sound.

As a side note.  My wife and I get our news from Sky.  Could be wrong but of all of the programs, they seem to us to be the most balanced in their reporting.

All the best.

John

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, John York said:

Great present adambar thank you.  It's nice to see that 'The Seekers' are still producing their wonderful music.  Looking old now of course but still a wonderful sound.

As a side note.  My wife and I get our news from Sky.  Could be wrong but of all of the programs, they seem to us to be the most balanced in their reporting.

All the best.

John

I thought you would like that John. :)

I watch Sky myself. I believe they pretty much tell it like it is.

All the best to you as well.

Adam

• Like 2

8 hours ago, adambar said:

I haven't watched the MSM for years. 

36 minutes ago, John York said:

My wife and I get our news from Sky.  Could be wrong but of all of the programs, they seem to us to be the most balanced in their reporting.

I think it is all a question of the right dosage and mixture. As with drinks. Uh, I get philosophical.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Ken Q said:

OK, my response to the original question: Terrible T's story of the "Man and the Ostrich" just posted here!

Good laugh and well done.

Ke

Credit where credit is due: W2DR posted that one I merely made an appropriate comment - but thanks for the kind thought Ken :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TerribleT said:

Credit where credit is due: W2DR posted that one I merely made an appropriate comment - but thanks for the kind thought Ken :D

You are right, my apologies to W2DR, and thanks for a great little story.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1