This Week's Meaningless Topic (#$49) (Aug 14)

Hi all. This week's topic asks you to recall a time when you were swimming and suddenly wished you weren't. For me, it's two times -- once in deep water off the promontory at Cam Rahn Bay where I was snorkeling and looked down to see a school of sharks; the other is at a deep-water drop-off in Bermuda when I was about ten feet down and looked seaward to see a group of barracudas suspended there and eyeing me. I felt like lunch.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: What is the scariest thing you've seen while swimming?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

My swimming trunks came off near a crowded beach. :D  Back in the 50s they had men's, women's and family night at the YMCA. For whatever reason you weren't allowed to wear swimming trunks except on family night. :huh:  My dad and I were sitting along the edge of the pool when the door of the men's locker room flew open and the guy came running out and dove off the diving board that located right outside and when he came up to his amazement he discovered it was family might. :lol:

If that wasn't bad enough with the no swimming trunks, the guy that gave massages or rub downs at the Y was blind. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

13 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

When in Panama circa 1995 for Jungle Warfare training and going through some very deep swamps deep in the jungle that were filled with leeches. Good times :unsure:

Bad times.  End of jungle swamp patrol during the Malayan 'Emergency' covered in leeches.  Using cigarettes to touch the tips of their tails to make them withdraw their beaks so they could be brushed off.  It was always a mystery to us how they got through our jungle clothing.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, John York said:

Bad times.  End of jungle swamp patrol during the Malayan 'Emergency' covered in leeches.  Using cigarettes to touch the tips of their tails to make them withdraw their beaks so they could be brushed off.  It was always a mystery to us how they got through our jungle clothing.

Just a hint, you had to ware more than socks.:D

cheers

Gumby

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I watched Jaws in an open air showing in Belize and the next day we went out  on a boat for a keys trip, my mate thought it was a good idea to throw me off the boat a

mile from the island we were going to, my crawl definitely improved.

Another time in Borneo  I was canoeing on the Tutong river estuary and hit a log which turned out to be a crocodile which was longer than my kayak, previous day we had been jumping off the pier and swimming in the river to cool off, we found out later that one of the cookhouse staff had got fed up of burying the food waste and had been

chucking it in the river.  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Taph said:

I watched Jaws in an open air showing in Belize and the next day we went out  on a boat for a keys trip, my mate thought it was a good idea to throw me off the boat a

mile from the island we were going to, my crawl definitely improved.

Another time in Borneo  I was canoeing on the Tutong river estuary and hit a log which turned out to be a crocodile which was longer than my kayak, previous day we had been jumping off the pier and swimming in the river to cool off, we found out later that one of the cookhouse staff had got fed up of burying the food waste and had been

chucking it in the river.  

You're lucky to be here Taph! Enjoy every day, you were meant to be here.

Cheers

Graeme

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Surfing near the pier on Padre Island, TX.  I came ashore, walked to the end of the pier to watch the fishermen and saw a 12' hammerhead shark caught.  I was just out there with it!!

One other time diving and spear fishing I had a fish on the spear when a 6' blue shark swam right in front of my nose!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I remember in the 80's being in Kenya in the Army, after doing patrols for a few days looking out for poachers we decided we would have a clean up near camp in the local river......one of the guides came out waving his arms and shouting for us to get out quickly......reluctantly we did as we were told..it works out that about 100 metres up river there were a load of crocs and we could've been there next feed, after that I was always a bit concerned about the river crossings.....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, wain71 said:

I remember in the 80's being in Kenya in the Army, after doing patrols for a few days looking out for poachers we decided we would have a clean up near camp in the local river......one of the guides came out waving his arms and shouting for us to get out quickly......reluctantly we did as we were told..it works out that about 100 metres up river there were a load of crocs and we could've been there next feed, after that I was always a bit concerned about the river crossings.....

Take your socks,  no clothing off, that would have scared them away.:lol:

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 2