This Week's Meaningless Topic (#27) (March 13)

Hi all. All who have had the chance to live in other cultures know the value of seeing the world through other eyes. That fact leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: If you could spend two months with a culture other than your own, would you choose--

A. Zulu/South Africa Zulu Land High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy B. Aboriginal People/Australia Why most Aboriginal people have little say over clean energy projects  planned for their land

C.  Inuit/Canada          A Comparative Look at Inuit Lifestyle          D. Amazon tribe/Amazon  Brazil Investigates If US Missionary Encroached on Isolated Amazon T... |  News & Reporting | Christianity Today       

E.  Navajo/USA            Navajo Land | Scenic Route 163 to Monument Valley, Utah | Thomas Frejek |  Flickr   F. Geek/Orbx  image.jpeg.472d890758ebfcad0e0462effd9c5f80.jpeg

OK, what are the real choices?  Three hot and dry.  One cold, and one hot, wet, with largely unfriendly natives with poisoned darts (as Rodger details in the last ROORD book).  All essentially 'camping out.'  Now I'm an old coot, and I did my share of camping out in the military. Yes, I was in the Navy, so you'd guess I was yachting, but some years in MIUW had me in tents, including when they all came down on us in a storm.  And then in the Saudi desert we were in trailers.  An Improvement, but not much. And while Gumby has a sore foot, I have two bad knees, so I'm not trekking either.

So that leaves me with F.  I'll happily sit in my FS cockpit, and fly over the virtual western deserts to virtual Navajo land, landing at Monument Valley. 

Now, Rodger, that is a mighty fine cockpit!  A bit about it?

Ken

11 minutes ago, adambar said:

Same as Gumby and Ken. :D  Besides, I'm afraid to go anywhere right now, so I just sit around and read the National Geographic magazine or channel. :D

Let's fly out to Catalina, and tell lies over buffalo burgers and beer.  Better stay over though- at least eight hours between bottle and throttle.

2 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Rodger how could you fergit Ireland:o. I would love to do some mega green beers on Monday to celebrate St. Patrick's Day:P. But OK that Geek/Orbx would do it for me since I'll do the green beers anyways.:P;):D

Why go all that way Karl when you can go to the local beer joint and drink green beer. :D

1 minute ago, Ken Q said:

Let's fly out to Catalina, and tell lies over buffalo burgers and beer.  Better stay over though- at least eight hours between bottle and throttle.

Sounds like a plan to me Ken. :D  As a matter of fact I just had buffalo burgers at home not long ago, good eating. :D

22 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Rodger how could you fergit Ireland:o. I would love to do some mega green beers on Monday to celebrate St. Patrick's Day:P. But OK that Geek/Orbx would do it for me since I'll do the green beers anyways.:P;):D

We have an Irish pub here in Launceston, called

Irish Murphy's. Haven't been there for a long time.

But I'm sure I could get s green beer.:blink: 

13 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

We have an Irish pub here in Launceston, called

Irish Murphy's. Haven't been there for a long time.

But I'm sure I could get s green beer.:blink: 

Been a long time since I've been in a good Irish pub. There is a great one in Norwich, CT.  I'll take my ale red, with bangers and mash.

Ken

25 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

Been a long time since I've been in a good Irish pub. There is a great one in Norwich, CT.  I'll take my ale red, with bangers and mash.

Ken

We have a beer here called Boags xxx Red which is  

also an Ale, locally brewed. What's the chances?:D

But it's not an Irish brew.

cheers

Gumby

C for me. I've always had a fascination with snow and cold extremes. We had a family holiday in Finland 10 years ago at Christmas, one of our most memorable holidays. I remember having a can of beer on the outside deck that turned into an iced slushy within minutes. Karl would have loved it. If it's only for two months I can handle it until returning to the sub tropics of home.

Graeme :)

Archived