Announcing EGPH Edinburgh [P3D]

Glad to see you are developing in Scotland, however, judging from the screenshots it is NOT an up-to-date representation of the airport in its current real-word state, like you mention in your post, in fact it’s a representation from nearly 18 months ago now.

There has been extensive reconstruction work around the south east apron with new contact stands and taxiways and an additional apron and stands built to the south across the old runway - ‘Turnhouse Apron’. You only have to look at the airfield charts to see this.

I’ll consider investing when you actually represent the airfield as it is at the moment.

Gregg

D5EADA9F-1CC8-4F30-BD22-DA6396E91584.jpeg

Thanks for "considering investing" :)

Orbx does not create airports to be used for real-world training or commercial use by airlines. We sell to hobbyists and present 'facsimiles' of airports and are restricted to what imagery is currently available for us to license. In this instance we have licensed 2016 imagery which will not have any new works in it.

I have passed your feedback onto the developers and they will investigate further, perhaps a patch post-release.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

thank you for being clear, JV

many of us are looking for IRL - yet you explain the restraints, well...

even tho' many are excited with upcoming developments in the flight sim world, personally, Google Earth VR just about has it covered (within its own context)!

along with our myriad of $paid for addons...

(& with Rift S - lol) ;)

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

Thanks for "considering investing" :)

Orbx does not create airports to be used for real-world training or commercial use by airlines. We sell to hobbyists and present 'facsimiles' of airports and are restricted to what imagery is currently available for us to license. In this instance we have licensed 2016 imagery which will not have any new works in it.

I have passed your feedback onto the developers and they will investigate further, perhaps a patch post-release.

Hi John,

I appreciate your comments, but you need to change your announcement. Point 1 of your at a glance summary states:

”Up-to-date rendition of Edinburgh airport in its current real-world state”

Your statement is false and misleading, you’ve just told me it is a rendition from 2016 based on the imagery you had available.

I suggest you change it to avoid misleading the consumer - as I was - because the current real-world state is entirely different from the product you are publishing.

Regards,

Gregg

" Ok Gregg, I will amend the announcement. Don't want to ruffle any feathers ... "

The nit picking of some people make me very angry..Particularly this thread.. what do you people want, the sim is a hobby,a bit of fun..if you want realism buy a pilots license and move to Edinburgh..Get real folks.. Terry.

Edited by teecee
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, Speedbird 2652 said:

Poor Gary Summons...why does everything have to be a competition?

It's not. I imagine Orbx want to showcase their TE GB series by having a range of their own airport products across GB.

The fact that these 'compete' with Gary's is neither here nor there.
How many non-Brits are aware of his stuff and how many would still buy them when compared to what Orbx has shown? I have a lot of them, yet will be replacing with Orbx's more up-to-date and higher quality ones.

That's very nice and surprising news. In fact, I noticed that I have only one decently modelled airport in Great Britain and that is Heathrow.

Edinburgh has very good real world routing options:

Longhaul:

Dubai (Emirates)

Doha (Qatar)

Boston (Delta)

JFK (Delta)

Philly (AA)

Newark (United)

O'Hare (United)

Dulles (United)

Cancún (TUIfly)

Toronto (Air Canada Rouge)

...and from Orbx:

Stockholm ARN (SAS, Norwegian)

Dubrovnik (Jet2, Easyjet)

Pula (Jet2)

East Midlands (Flybe)

London City (Flybe, BA)

Southhampton (Flybe)

Bilbao (Easyjet)

Innsbruck (TUIfly, Austrian)

I'll be picking this up in the next sale.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, teecee said:

" Ok Gregg, I will amend the announcement. Don't want to ruffle any feathers ... "

The nit picking of some people make me very angry..Particularly this thread.. what do you people want, the sim is a hobby,a bit of fun..if you want realism buy a pilots license and move to Edinburgh..Get real folks.. Terry.

It's not nit-picking really. It was a fair comment about how the scenery was advertised, as being up-to-date to the current airport, which evidently it is not. Now that the advertisement is going to be changed, all is perfectly well. 

That being said, I'm looking very much forward to flying there! :)

Edited by mburkhard
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My local airport, fly to/from EGPH every few months visiting family.  Airport has changed a lot recently and Orbx would struggle to keep up even if they were trying to do the most recent.  Looks great, will see how the FPS are.  For future, I wonder if John and Gary S could agree on what to develop, don't mean to start a war, but I have supported UK2000 since the start of time  and would like to continue to do so without wasting money. 

It's a valid comment - this product is going to be out of date when it is released, as it doesn't take in to account the latest changes made over the last 3 years. Seems a bit pointless to buy something that is already out of date.

PS> original post has still not been updated, and still states "Up-to-date rendition of Edinburgh airport in its current real-world state" under "At A Glance"

Edited by nighthawk117
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, phoenixlover71 said:

I am more than happy to try and get some shots of the airport in its current state, viewing angles from outwith the airfield are relatively good. I also have a couple of contacts at EDI's PR department, but I'm not sure if they'd be any use on the stance of airside photography. 

Unfortunately the biggest single factor is the ground imagery, that is purchased initially and the airport is built around that, and cannot be just modified or replaced. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 9:26 AM, gd44 said:

Glad to see you are developing in Scotland, however, judging from the screenshots it is NOT an up-to-date representation of the airport in its current real-word state, like you mention in your post, in fact it’s a representation from nearly 18 months ago now.

There has been extensive reconstruction work around the south east apron with new contact stands and taxiways and an additional apron and stands built to the south across the old runway - ‘Turnhouse Apron’. You only have to look at the airfield charts to see this.

I’ll consider investing when you actually represent the airfield as it is at the moment.

Gregg

D5EADA9F-1CC8-4F30-BD22-DA6396E91584.jpeg

I find your comment a bit harsh.  Airports are changing daily all over the world.  Do you expect developers to constantly monitor progress and keep there airports up to date to reflect real world operations.  If you do then that takes up development time for new airports and i imagine you would be among the first to complain about the lack of new products coming.  Developers are dammed if they do dammed if they dont.

On 10/21/2019 at 10:48 PM, speedbird2017 said:

Airports are changing daily all over the world.  Do you expect developers to constantly monitor progress and keep there airports up to date to reflect real world operations.

Hmm... big AI processing webcam pictures on all airports and generating BGLs just in time ?
So not only the airport would be up to date, but you got real crew members and passengers :P:lol:

On 10/21/2019 at 10:59 PM, bcrawley57 said:

Will it include seasonal textures to blend with FTX Scotland?

How does it fit in general with FTX Scotland ?

As it's ORBX, I assume they work together ?

Edit: overlooked "Designed to blend in with EU Scotland "

Edited by Achmed
overlooked "Designed to blend in with EU Scotland"

I bought it this morning, it’s brilliant.  Really love it and the jetways.  Just need them to come out with the decent Queensferry Crossing nearby as the freeware version is not good.  The performance is good and the SODE jetways a plus.   Love the trams too.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:59 PM, bcrawley57 said:

Will it include seasonal textures to blend with FTX Scotland?

I'm also curious about this.

@John Venema can you guys please be more transparent re seasons support? It's not always obvious from your press-releases and P3D screenshots. Especially with the latest cross-platform releases and that permanent TrueEarth's summer.

• Like 3

Hi guys,

delighted to see the Capital City of Scotland Airport (EGPH) finally gets the Orbx payware treatment: what a capital job you have done too.(di'ya' get it?)

I hope that more of the airports in Scotland follow, we always want more huh guys? Thanks foe East Midlands in England recently added too.

I was however (here it comes) a little disappointed that the opportunity was not taken to add the awesome Queensferry Crossing Bridge into the terrain either within EU Scotland or the Airport upgrade to payware work detail itself.

The Queensferry Crossing Bridge is the largest civil engineering project undertaken in Scotland in the last six decades and dominates the sky line on the Firth of Forth Estuary as it proudly sits along side the Forth Rail Bridge and the Forth Road Bridge. It has been clearly evident as a land mark feature for five years.

For you guys to appreciate the loss of this feature to us here in Gods favourite place (Scotland) (I'm not Religious at all) (it's just for gravitas) you would have to fly over Sydney with the Sydney bridge missing, or that strange shaped opera thing where our Bill Connolly (Legend) performed.

At present I use Scotflight Forth Bridges add-on, it really is that important.

Maybe a little tweaky update to EU Scotland? 

Heeeyooowuj Orbx fan, it's all I use, well except for the Queensferry Crossing bridge.

Graham

• Upvote 2

I mentioned the Queensferry crossing to JV at Cosford last year and he said he would get it added.  However with hindsight I reckon he was assuming TE North would satisfy my request.  Got to agree with Graham though, please add it to EU Scotland, the Scotflight one is not up to the ORBX standard.

16 hours ago, Dmitriy Kozyrev said:

Can you guys please be more transparent re seasons support? It's not always obvious from your press-releases and P3D screenshots. Especially with the latest cross-platform releases and that permanent TrueEarth's summer.

Hello,

EGPH for P3D v4 changes with the seasons, as does EU Scotland.

An airport designed for both regions but installed into a TEGB product,

at present of course TEGB South is the only one, does not change with

the seasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Only had a quick visit (will be used and abused in due course!) and it's a fantastic rendition.   Opted for a helicopter tour and was curious on the extent of the trams integration so tailed one - superb that it actually stops at the relevant stops between the airport and the depot at the Gyle roundabout...

Maybe an enhancement to add shelters at the stops in a future update though (I know, nit-picky as hell!)? 

On 10/28/2019 at 10:10 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

EGPH for P3D v4 changes with the seasons, as does EU Scotland.

I would like to correct this statement, just in case future buyers are interested in this:

EGPH currently does NOT always change seasons when EU Scotland does. There is no hard winter texture in EGPH, and half of Spring is also not changing correctly. 

Just saying since it is advertised as "Designed to blend in with EU Scotland".

Hi guys,

sadly and despite my earlier blogg waxing lyrical about this new addition to the payware crop, I have been testing it for several days now and regret to report that for me it is simply not a viable product in its current state; shame since it is my home base.

I use a high end PC/graphic card etc utilising the Occulus Rift with P3d V4.5 and the PMDG 737 900 NGX and have no issues with Southampton/Cardiff/Stornoway/East Midlands but for Edinburgh I have terrible FPS loss, an inability, to lock onto the 06 ILS (suspect non P3D data-base is locked to the Airport package) Jetways are inoperable and night lighting and textures are utterly horrid, try landing in at night, it's like landing on wet tin foil sprinkled with tinsel.

My plan is to remove it and wait-out.  I'll allow several months to pass and see if improvements are made utilising the Forums to keep apace of events. It is disappointing but since I have absolutely no idea how difficult or complex it is to create such a package I'm not going to rage about it.  I have faith in our Orbx Tech Team and suspect they are "On The Case".

Graham

Edited by GrahamTMuir
Script error

Glad someone else couldn't grab the 06 ILS - thought it was me with a badly performing sim...

Have to agree on the night textures - I did see them on another add-on (can't remember who made it or which it was now...) but there was an option that stated if you had that experience to disable something in the config for that add-on.

yes, it seems that nowadays testing and quality management are no longer part of the development process. At least one might think that even obvious mistakes are productive anyway. Best example is Microsoft with their absurd update policy. Active Sky does not start suddenly anymore. Prepar3d.exe is suddenly blocked after an update from the firewall ;-) If the quality of ORBX decreases now, then have fun flying :-)

Damn, I work in the industry as well. I have to check out when my software development was last tested :-)