What age to stop buying updates

John York

Being 85 makes me wonder if now is the time I should stop updating my system with sceneries and other stuff I'll probably only fly to once.  I bought and downloaded Boseman the other day and it didn't work.  I thought, ah well, I'll go without and you know what?  I won't miss it.  What I've got is good enough and how many times am I going to fly in and out of there.  Well the last one is easy.  Probably never.

Been feeling this way myself John.. I only buy stuff now that I know I will get use out of..I am very much a "low and slow" flyer, and also, I only fly now in regions I enjoy, so my purchases have become few and far between..(even during those tempting sales).  I still love the sim though, and thanks to an understanding wife, still spend many hours most days looking around the great Orbx scenery. Terry.

Hi John

It's that way for me too. I have been marveling at the P3D and X-Plane screenshots and being tempted to put out the thousand dollars or so involved, then I say, with you, why? My FSX is still very satisfying, I have it fully stocked with all the scenery and planes I could ever want, and it is paid for. At my age, I have only so many years to go with flight simulation, so why not just enjoy the heck out of what I have and let the constant upgrading be reserved for those for whom it brings joy?

Interesting post.

I have always had panic to aging.

I've never been prepared for it. I have always stare at old people asking myself how did they look like when they were 25.. what did they use to do? How do they live now?

Trying to understand the reasons...feelings...comparing myself and my lifestyle to theirs... imagining what will happen to me.. to what level.

I've noticed how my body is changing; the needs, the perspectives, the vitality, the health, the attitude.

I wonder how I will end and if there ever be anyone next to me. I've got already about 9 years living alone, I think I have not been lucky enough in love. My relatives live at about 1hr drive from me, maybe not much but everybody is busy with their own business and own families. We meet the 24th Dec and 1 Jan basically, at least the ones that can make it.

After losing so much of the hair, the second horrible thing has been the damage to my vision needing the progressive lens, when I was 100% basically. Getting worst I fear a lot. But aging and all related issues are inevitable. I think the only thing we should battle to safe is the attitude. A positive one at least will give us a pleasant farewell.

So my endless love it the sim. It gives me joy, entertainment, relaxation, etc. I know this loneliness might sound a bit pathetic but I enjoy it and I think is worth more than many things out there in the streets.  As long as I can see and have money I will continue all the way long with the sim because I really like this a lot. Actually, I have a list of about 14 airports for next sale :rolleyes:

When I was younger I wanted to be a pilot, of course, but couldn't afford it, so this game offers me the chance to enjoy or fulfill somehow that wish :D

It was love at first sight when saw the 747, so I fly it very often.

Keep up the good vibe, a nice attitude and safe flights

Cheers mates

The days of buying new and better hardware are over for me but, of course, if something breaks it must be replaced - that's when 'something better' will rear its head.  Never having been reduced to a slide show FPS wise,  I tend not to pay any attention to that.  Laminar pops up with admonishments when I get too ambitious so I run at reduced settings then, when I'm thinking screenshot, hit pause - crank up the settings to give me their best.  If I forget to return to low, Laminar will let me know :)

Im 19 and always thought this way. Why I should buy airports I will never fly in and out. I fly mostly big jets and long haul so A380, A350 and for GA Gulfstream or Citation X. Im a global flyer so my main routes go over almost every continent but approaching always big hubs. So for example I will never fly in Gold Coast airport or Santa Barbara for example. Flying slow at only 2500 feet with a propeller plane is incredibly boring to me because just to easy especially takeoff/landings and approach.

But yeah im a bit different anyway. Most people (what you see on youtube) fly those big airplanes with autoland until minimum callout and then land manually. I used to switch off autopilot and AT already at 3000 feet and land full manually, as the weather makes it possible. I mean for what I do have a joystick? :D

14 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Interesting post.

I have always had panic to aging.

I've never been prepared for it. I have always stare at old people asking myself how did they look like when they were 25.. what did they use to do? How do they live now?

Trying to understand the reasons...feelings...comparing myself and my lifestyle to theirs... imagining what will happen to me.. to what level.

I've noticed how my body is changing; the needs, the perspectives, the vitality, the health, the attitude.

I wonder how I will end and if there ever be anyone next to me. I've got already about 9 years living alone, I think I have not been lucky enough in love. My relatives live at about 1hr drive from me, maybe not much but everybody is busy with their own business and own families. We meet the 24th Dec and 1 Jan basically, at least the ones that can make it.

After losing so much of the hair, the second horrible thing has been the damage to my vision needing the progressive lens, when I was 100% basically. Getting worst I fear a lot. But again and all related issues are inevitable. I think the only thing we should battle to safe is the attitude. A positive one at least will give us a pleasant farewell.

So my endless love it the sim. It gives me joy, entertainment, relaxation, etc. I know this loneliness might sound a bit pathetic but I enjoy it and I think is worth more than many things out there in the streets.  As long as I can see and have money I will continue all the way long with the sim because I really like this a lot. Actually, I have a list of about 14 airports for next sale :rolleyes:

When I was younger I wanted to be a pilot, of course, but couldn't afford it, so this game offers me the chance to enjoy or fulfill somehow that wish :D

It was love at first sight when saw the 747, so I fly it very often.

Cheers mates

When you say living alone, does that include a pet?  As I've aged, I've found my need for an animal - especially a dog - has become increasingly important.  My wife of 56 years is still with me and we lovingly share our canine friend.

2 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

When you say living alone, does that include a pet?  As I've aged, I've found my need for an animal - especially a dog - has become increasingly important.  My wife of 56 years is still with me and we lovingly share our canine friend.

Hi

No, I don't have a pet.

We, as a family, didn't grow up  with pets so never got used to them or felt the need for them

I once had 26 canaries though :)

4 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Hi

No, I don't have a pet.

We, as a family, didn't grow up  with pets so never got used to them or felt the need for them

I once had 26 canaries though :)

When I was a child, living in Scotland during and post war, many people kept Budgerigars and talked to them much as I often find myself doing with my dog.

On 11/15/2018 at 6:11 PM, olderndirt said:

Well, OND, I guess that about sums it up. One day at time, be grateful for what we do have, make life a little better for others each day, and carry on. The other options are too debilitating to consider.:)

Guess I’ll chip in here too. In 2015, I bought what I consider to be my last Harley Davidson, a beautiful Triglide. I keep it well maintained and will ride it till the wheels fall off. The need for three wheels arose after two knee replacements, it just became difficult to deal with the weight of a fully loaded dresser. My wife and I enjoy spending time with our friends who ride, some younger and some older, traveling wherever we like. I’ve had eight Harleys over my lifetime. Been a lot of places on two, now three wheels. In 2011, I bought my first higher end computer, monitor and printer for about $2200.00. The computer (i7 950, 16 gigs of ram and the only thing I’ve upgraded in it is the graphics card a few years back, a GTX 750ti) runs FSX-SE pretty well at a little higher than modest settings, ORBX settings as recommended. I’m mainly a GA flier, single props and have toyed with the probability of purchasing a twin, not sure which one. Anyway, now I’m looking to buy what I think will probably (at least hope will be) my last computer. I would like to upgrade to a newer 64 bit platform. At least that’s the plan. Flight Simulation brings me much satisfaction. I’m a licensed private pilot, but renting a C 172 or 182 to include fuel just got too damn expensive, even though I can still pass the flight physicals. My wife and I are both retired and though we do well on our pensions and Social Security, we still try watching the money flow, you never know what’s around the corner. The house is paid for, so our bills are manageable. Health for me, let’s just say knock on wood, has been good. My wife has her ups and downs, but hanging in there.  I feel that attitude plays a big part in how you feel, at least for now it’s working for me. So do what you can, as long as you can within the means you have and enjoy your life day by day creating whatever memories you can. The days WILL come, when the pleasures enjoyed will start dropping by the wayside. I hope, that when those times come, I choose to remember and reflect on the good times. Like a wise person (Forrest, Forrest Gump) once said, “That’s all I have to say about that.”

I did ask when was the time to stop buying stuff.  Well,  I certainly don't need to at the moment.  I've just discovered all the freeware orbx has been offering so I've just got the lot!

That's gonna keep me occupied for a while!!:)

John 

11 hours ago, JohnY said:

I did ask when was the time to stop buying stuff.  Well,  I certainly don't need to at the moment.  I've just discovered all the freeware orbx has been offering so I've just got the lot!

That's gonna keep me occupied for a while!!:)

John 

Me too, John. Now to figure out how to use it -- I'm thinking of trying hops from one to another just so start and finish are ORBX polished scenery. 

I've just got to finish traversing America from east to west in short hops and if I'm lucky enough to come across one of these I'll come down on it.  If not, I might do what you intend.  I do like doing a series of flights though with a final destination in mind.

John

Talking about pets brings back memories.  When I was a boy, my aunt and uncle lived across the road from us and they had a pure white cockatoo.   It was 50+ years old.  Goodness knows how they got it.  If it was left without anyone noticing it for any length of time it started screeching.  My uncle was completely deaf so didn't notice and my aunt had bad hearing too. She had one of those long square yard sticks and would poke at the parrot through the cage bars shouting at it to shut up.  The parrot would shout 'shut up' back at her.  It was bedlam!

Sometimes when I was over there I could persuade them to let it out.  It would wander round chatting gibberish to itself and inevitably find its way to the cupboard under the stairs and peck at the bottom of the door.  Frustrated, it would stand back and say quite nicely; 'Come out mices, come out to see Polly. He'd say this about three times then rear its head up shouting; 'Come out yer buggers'.

We could have him sitting on our shoulders which he would like as long as we stroked and tickled him but the moment we stopped we had to get him off because he'd deliver a really painful peck to our ears.

He was quite a nasty character and couldn't stand my cross collie dog Judy who wouldn't hurt a fly.  As soon as Judy got anywhere near, he'd attack her.  Bedlam again with the dog barking and running away and the parrott after her screeching.  Thankfully, the parrot's wings had been cropped so it couldn't fly but my goodness, he could move fast on his legs.

My mum had a permanently crooked little finger where he had bitten her before I was born.  He finally died while I was in the army.  Apparently, he was in his seventies then.

John

About 40 years ago a friend of mine had a python, named Dolly Python. Dolly was 11 foot long and about 6 inches around. We would sit in his game room watching movies and such, Dolly would slither out of her very large enclosure (half glass and half wood with a warming lamp in the top) and slide right over to us and just drape herself over us and go to sleep. We believed she did it for the body warmth, but who really knows. Rarely did she ever coil around anyones limbs and squeeze, but if she did she would squeeze gently until someone would start to pay attention to her. Her enclosure was always open, so she could come and go as she pleased. One day I got a call from my friend, he was quite upset and all he could manage to say was, “ get down here now I need help”. When I and one other friend arrived, my friends mother directed us to his bedroom. When we entered it was quite apparent what he was so upset about. Dolly had found a whole in the fabric on the bottom of his beds box spring, managing to get all 11 feet of herself wrapped in amongst the coil springs. It took three of us almost 6 hours to finally unwrap Dolly. Once freed, she hurriedly returned to her closure and didn’t come out for three days. Put the fabric Back on the bottom of his box spring and patched the hole. Funny, Dolly never returned to his bedroom. She remained with my friend for another 5 years, before she reached 16 feet in length and had to be given to a reptile collector. I’m not really a snake person, but it was odd that Dolly was more like a long heavy dog that craved everyone’s attention. 

Yes, well Rodger.  Their life wasn't great.  I neglected to mention but my uncle was not only completely deaf but he was dumb too.  Nevertherless, he was employed as a master Cabinet Maker and made beautiful furniture.  He could sign and lip read and I could read sign with the rest of the family so he wasn't completely alone.  My Aunt was about 50% deaf and was a stay at home housewife.  They had a table tennis ball hung on cotton yarn balanced on their door bell so when someone rang the bell the tennis ball would fly off its perch and swing quite widely letting them know.  Ingenious really.

Thankfully, they didn't have a cat!

You gave me the shivers with that story wblackret.   I can't stand snakes and being posted to Malaya when in the army was, for me, a nighmare waiting to happen. 

On 11/16/2018 at 12:51 PM, carlosqr said:

I wonder how I will end and if there ever be anyone next to me. I've got already about 9 years living alone, I think I have not been lucky enough in love.

Carlosqr - living alone is the best! I lived for 30+ years with 2 wives - and now my wife and I live hours apart. Have a look around this forum and how many people comment that they are hiding the cost of their new hardware and software from their partners! :) 

I now have been living on my own for about 10 years - there is no way I would go back to having a wife living here every day!

Now back to the topic at hand - I never stop buying new releases. There is an ever expanding world to explore!

On 11/17/2018 at 11:28 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Me too, John. Now to figure out how to use it -- I'm thinking of trying hops from one to another just so start and finish are ORBX polished scenery. 

I love the free scenery that ORBX provides, and use it as much as I can.  For the last few years I have flown from my east coast base (KFRG) across the U.S. to the west coast ORBX regions, using the freeware map to plan my stops along the way ( about 100 miles apart).  Only very rarely do I need to land a non ORBX airport. Then there are the payware ones, more frequent as one goes west. It's great fun, and a great way to explore the country.  I'm currently at KSBP (San Luis Obispo).

Ken

'many people comment that they are hiding the cost of their new hardware and software from their partners! :)'

I've never seen that comment MfaheWhere is it? I like a bit of scandal now and again.

John

5 minutes ago, JohnY said:

'many people comment that they are hiding the cost of their new hardware and software from their partners! :)'

I've never seen that comment MfaheWhere is it? I like a bit of scandal now and again.

John

I'm not telling you where my comment was ..... oops!  Cheers.

Talking about Orbx addons as we were, I've been flying my Cessna 147 trainer VFR, dodging between the small freeware air strips.  Some are only 50 - 60 nm apart and take no longer the 45minutes to an hour BUT, you have to find them and that's not always easy. 

This afternoon I've been flying round in circles trying to land at 2WA1 Diamond Point.  It took me about 3/4 of an hour for the trip, but then another hour before I found the runway!  The place looks idyllic but my goodness is it out in the sticks!  Mind you the weather didn't help.  Clouds were down to about 3000' and covered a lot of the hills so you were in 'em most of the way and only break through when you're almost on top of the airport which according to P3D is at 2335'.

I'm going to have a cup of tea with an aspirin now.  Phew!

5 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Howdy boy's'n gal's. I'm 71 and gone back to work. She who must be obeyed told me if I want to but more orbx products: Get your butt off the couch and get a job. So there you have it. After my 5th day at work I'm so sore I can hardly type.:unsure::(:lol: 

I went back to work two years ago at 68.  Went back to my old job at a living history museum that I retired from in 2011.  But now I'm part time, three days a week. follow my trade (hatter, ca 1830) and teach about it. No other responsibilities.  Came as a surprise when they offered my wife a job too - she does a variety of food preparation and cooking programs in a ca. 1830 house.  Nice retirement jobs - off for the winter too.

We have a comfortable relationship when it comes to Flight Sim:  I buy what I want, and she can buy the books she wants, (either Kindle or otherwise) as long as we both use common sense and can pay off all the credit cards at the end of the month.  If a big bill like a car repair comes up, we postpone fun stuff 'til the next CC cycle.

Ken

Archived