What age to stop buying updates

John York

Going back a bit, mfahey wrote;  'I lived for 30+ years with 2 wives'.  I just can't imagine how you coped.  One was plenty for me and its lasted now for 68 years.  Met her when I was seventeen, and we're still happily together. 

6 hours ago, JohnY said:

'I'll quit buying updates when I quit being updated myself'

Hey Paddler.  How do you get updated?  I could do with some of that myself!

John,

I consider that every morning that I wake up I am "updated"! 

You're lucky Paddler.  When I wake up in the mornings I just want stay where I am but my wife refuses to bring my breakfast to bed because of the crumbs!

On 11/24/2018 at 12:36 AM, JohnY said:

Going back a bit, mfahey wrote;  'I lived for 30+ years with 2 wives'.  I just can't imagine how you coped.  One was plenty for me and its lasted now for 68 years.  Met her when I was seventeen, and we're still happily together. 

JohnY my sentence was poorly written - it was one wife at a time - two different marriages!

Just can't help myself:  at 79 I am at this moment downloading P3Dv4.4,  I have restricted my aircraft to fewer these days, but still too many, and I have far too many airports.  However reinstalling from scratch at least has me choose scenery and airports and also to start with a few standard aircraft add-ons and build from there.  But, ah well, here we go again.... I can resist Tyabb, I think. 

And there are some decent chaps who politely tolerate my endless screenshots.

I have stopped buying upgrades and I am 72. But the only reason I have stopped that everything is priced in $US, British Pound or Euros. With the $AU at about 73 cents US It makes it more expensive for me and being on a fixed income things are rather tight.

You will really like P3D4.4. Macca.  If you decide you want some of your old aircraft back youj will probably find it will run them.   I'm frequently flying the real Air Duke (and how old is that?!!!) and it works perfectly.

Good luck mate.  I hope you enjoy 4.4 as much as I do.

On 11/29/2018 at 2:32 AM, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

I have stopped buying upgrades and I am 72. But the only reason I have stopped that everything is priced in $US, British Pound or Euros. With the $AU at about 73 cents US It makes it more expensive for me and being on a fixed income things are rather tight.

Same here Pat. Gone back to work at 71 because i find there is too much month left at the end of my money. Oh boy.

On 11/29/2018 at 2:32 AM, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

How the heck did I post it twice? Sorry.:(

As an Australian I appreciate the comments about the value of the Aussie dollar....it has restricted my purchases also.  But when Milviz bring out their ATR, I will buy that.  I do not have many GA aircraft where of course I could have many?  Does that make me virtuous?

Aussieman it is horses for courses, do what is best for you.

But at 79 with a crook heart, I might soon be saving money the permanent way!

5 hours ago, macca22au said:

As an Australian I appreciate the comments about the value of the Aussie dollar....it has restricted my purchases also.  But when Milviz bring out their ATR, I will buy that.  I do not have many GA aircraft where of course I could have many?  Does that make me virtuous?

Aussieman it is horses for courses, do what is best for you.

But at 79 with a crook heart, I might soon be saving money the permanent way!

Hey maccau. Over the years, I've built a really nice library of planes. Many of them now look dated and I don't fly them much any more. Many others are state of the art and I fly them constantly. What they most share in common is that they are freeware. I use Simviation as my freeware resource and love the variety they offer. About 30% of my library is payware. I only buy "Gotta Have" planes that I can't get in quality freeware. Have you considered that option?

Well, thanks Rodger.  I've learned something.  I never knew there were freeware aircraft.  I'm going over to Simviation straight after this.

I couldn't find anything to my liking on Simviation.  They were all big things and I only fly small things.  The largest I've got is the Dash 8 and I hardly ever fly it.  My favourites are the Real Air Duke,  and the ENB505 Phenom for longer flights and the 172 Skyhawk and Ants Technam Eaglet for short ones.

Everyone to his own I suppose.  Its what makes the world go around.

Hi all I am also 71. 

I plan to do my final update on my PC over this Christmas . Computers and update are getting more expensive and at some point less and less people will be able to afford to improve their systems , so I would suggest that it will be more beneficial for ORBX to make there new products run better on older equipment rather than target the need to have high end equipment to run them ?

Regards  

8 hours ago, JohnY said:

I couldn't find anything to my liking on Simviation.  They were all big things and I only fly small things.  The largest I've got is the Dash 8 and I hardly ever fly it.  My favourites are the Real Air Duke,  and the ENB505 Phenom for longer flights and the 172 Skyhawk and Ants Technam Eaglet for short ones.

Everyone to his own I suppose.  Its what makes the world go around.

Hi John. May I suggest that you give Simviation another try? Once you are on the site, there is a column on the left that gives you a choice of operating platforms to click. I use FSX and so click that. When you call up your platform particulars, a list will appear on the left screen--it is a list of things available in that platform. The FSX list includes a dozen or so choices. Like you, I prefer the smaller GA planes, so I usually browse in "Props," "Vintage," and "Ultralites and Gliders."  In addition, up in the right corner of the screen is a search feature. There, you can ask for particular manufacturers and models. For example, if you asked for "Cessna 172," you would get dozens of options including new freeware models and scores of wonderful repaints for the FSX default model. Models are constantly being upgraded, so that you can follow many from nice FS9 models to upgraded port-overs that are as good as any commercial FSX model (see Manfred Jahn's DC-3s). If you sign up for membership, it is $20 a year with the benefit being that downloads are much, much faster. I have never not found a plane I wanted -- and I want them all! :lol:

'Computers and update are getting more expensive and at some point less and less people will be able to afford to improve their systems' 

But incomes are rising too Gollum even for us old age pensioners.

I'll have another look Rodger, thanks.

14 hours ago, JohnY said:

I've just downloaded half a dozen air planes and hope they work.  If not, you're going to get a thick ear Rodger!

Hey John. If you need help loading the planes into your library, I will be glad to describe that process. It's pretty simple. Otherwise, happy flying!

Thanks Roger.  Got them.  Two or three turned out to be copies of what I already had (?) but there's a couple I'll try out today sometime.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 9:24 PM, JohnY said:

me wonder if now is the time I should stop updating my system with sceneries and other stuff I'll probably only fly to once

Interesting post JohnY.  I tought of that a lot  This  hobby was for me only, and the Kids or grand kids a definitely  not  interested  in the intricate part of flying.  So  there is no use to leave them  with the legacy  of  virtual  software .  For my part I  fly  mostly  Australia NZ  and PNG   There is always something to discover  and  I am happy in  my small part of the world.  It just suit me fine.  No need to expand  any further

Yes, well, Yamba 1. I understand but I'm 85 and still spending on this hobby especially now as I can't get round the golf course!

Australia and New Zealand have been well done by Orbx.  However, I do like exploring and improving my scenery everywhere to be as realistic as possible.  Currently, I'm flying in the USA which is all covered by photo scenery plus Landscapes textures.  On top of that, I have trying to get have a look at all the Orbx airports and their surrounds.  So I do get a good idea of what the places look like and the scenery in the Western states is absolutely amazing even in the desert areas.  I envy the Americans sometimes.

However, I also have all of Western Europe covered in photo scenery and textured scenery of one sort or another.  Its a real mish mash but the whole is very worthwhile flying over especially as I can recognise many of the places I've actually visited.

So, forget the kids on this. Be selfish on this one.  Explore and enjoy.

Now where can I get Eastern Europe and Asia????!!!

John

On 12/12/2018 at 2:14 AM, JohnY said:

Western states is absolutely amazing even in the desert areas.  I envy the Americans sometimes.

Hey John. Come on up to Alaska. Fly the final wilderness frontier. Start in Stewart, BC and work your way up to Anchorage along the coast. PAKT, PAJN, PAGS, PAYA, PAVD and so may more on the way. I'm just floored and can't get enough of the West Coast all the way down to San Diego, CA. Merry Christmas and I'll see in the lounge in Yakutat, AK the beers are on me.:P

Hm.  Thanks for the suggestion flyingleaf.  It is, I must admit a long time since I've ventured into Alaska.  Sounds cold to me.  However, I'll work my way up there as I'm coming this way anyway through Canada.

I just started a series of flights, departing from Dutch Harbour and will explore Alaska east and south heading down the west coast. I can tell you that the ice blue water between the Aleutian Islands looks very cold as I sit in my A2A 172 and calculate that if my engine gives out I will not be able to glide to the nearest land. I listen very carefully to the sounds of the engine until I get back into glide range. Even snow covered the terrain is engaging.

Hi Paddler

I 've just gone up to Calgary.  Thought I should buy some Canadian airports.  Turns out these are in a short supply.  None of the major airports are featured but I managed to get four and I'm hoping Global will see to the rest.  I'll be up in Alaska to join you soon.

Freezing rain on the Kodiak peninsula the last two days. Even at low altitudes. Makes flying my A2A 172 problematic. I don't use too many of the large airports as I fly GA only right now. I find that Orbx regions of Canada (west coast) and the free ware packages are good, but I always look for more. Over time they will come. See you soon. Good winds and clear skies!

5 hours ago, JohnY said:

Hi Paddler

I 've just gone up to Calgary.  Thought I should buy some Canadian airports.  Turns out these are in a short supply.  None of the major airports are featured but I managed to get four and I'm hoping Global will see to the rest.  I'll be up in Alaska to join you soon.

John, the ORB freeware library has quite a few Canadian strips. These are not huge, fully developed airports, but many of them are nicely done little guys. You might consider that free resource. :smile:

Well, I'm stuffed, buggered and blown away.  I am allegedly on my last legs, I want to stop spending on Orbx and other payware, and now JV has come out with an absolutely irrefutable reason for me to stay alive, and remain poor....  But I do hope that Aus v2 comes out earlier rather than later in the year...and though I happily accept the upgrade price I would have paid full freight, I have just about worn the pixels out on the original.

Archived