A little plug-in that has greatly increased my enjoyment of flying TE GBS

renault

I am really enjoying TE GBS , but it is so incredibly detailed that I am continually wondering where I am (befuddled is more like it!)

The existing moving map in XPlane is good if you want airports etc. but for an armchair pilot like myself I would like a bit more detail like community place names, roads , motorways etc. Just all the stuff that helps us mere mortals to get by. I have my UK atlas by my side, but it takes a fair bit of time to keep track of where you are and I kept thinking wouldn't a moving map like the gps in my car be a great add in. 

I came across a little plug in called Avitab ( https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/44825-avitab-vr-compatible-tablet-with-pdf-viewer-moving-maps-and-more/ ) which more than fits the bill. 

Simply put it has increased my enjoyment of TE GBS by 1000%. Installation is incredibly simple. After unzipping, just put the Avitab folder in the XPlane plug ins folder. When you start up XPlane go under the plug ins menu, select Avitab and then Maps and you are good to go. ( I bound the "t" key on  my keyboard to toggle it on and off) and that was the extent of the installation. There is also a full forum on the plug in at XPlane-org ( https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/forum/425-avitab-plugin/ ) as well. Lastly, a number of aircraft now have the ability to fully integrate the plug-in into a fascimile of an ipad in the cockpit to allow the moving map display to work all the time, but I just choose the simple approach to toggle the tool on and off when needed.

The following screenshots show a number of scenarios . The common theme to all of them was "Where was I ??" . And with Avitab,I now know exactly . There are several options for maps - I just took the default to use open source maps , which are downloaded on an as needed basis (they are also stored permenetly in the Avitab  Maptiles subfolder. Although completely a function of the map sourcing, I particularly like the great detail in the open source maps such as the contour maps if you move in (closely spaced contours on elevation features indicate how quickly the elevation is changing) which I find very helpful when the view is partially obscured by cloud, mist etc. 

I hope that you find the following interesting and if you are an Avitab user, please accept my enthusiam for a really excellent product that has really enhanced the pleasure of flying in TE GBS.

Cheers 
Renault

So here we are. Each sequence shows the original screenshot , following by the Avitab window and moving map display ... I deliberately chose a dusk sequence , because this is when I find it most difficult to keep track of my actual location. 

1) Typically when I'm flying I'm never quite sure exactly where I am ... ( I am somewhere "over Bristol" -- not very exact!). 

PLZElLD.jpg

And toggling up Avitab, I now have all the detail in real time that I want ...

YESoRpO.jpg

2) And turning into the sunset.. Nice view but again where am I ?

gjvnDRi.jpg

This almost makes it too easy ...

m1vyvFW.jpg

3) Here you go Jack .... a bit of orange

VSUHcpI.jpg

cGNrbsH.jpg

4) Sorry I just liked the view .....

nCq7n52.jpg

5) Just flying over Bristol Filton , EGTG 

HXiHrMt.jpg

Airport info is also available in Avitab

gHQYNHs.jpg

6) Coming in to EGTG ...

GFZqv2P.jpg

And the map ....

Wjj6Y7j.jpg

7) The final two ...

6foSp5P.jpg

And the map ... 

xQn8RId.jpg

12 hours ago, BradB said:

Exactly what I needed Renault , thank you my friend . Great shots BTW !! .

Cheers

John

Thanks John and you are most welcome!

I think that you will like it -- it certainly worked for me :)

Cheers

R

11 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Amazing sky colours in your images R.

A very handy tool as well to inform you exactly of your location.:)

Thank you Martyn. I am pleased you enjoyed them.

One of the things that continually amazes me is the shear amount of quality freeware that is available for XPlane. This, IMHO is a good example ...

Cheers

R

10 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great post and shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain. I appreciate it. It is a little thing, but to me it has made a huge difference in my enjoyment level of TE.

Cheers

Renault

9 hours ago, Martin Poole said:

Thanks for that and great shots also

Hey Martin. Glad you liked it :)

Cheers

R

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Great orange shots Renault and that map is amazing, very detailed and I'm sure very handy, good for you!

What would I do without that colour ?

I know :rolleyes:. If I had a real one , I'd spend all my cash on a spiffy metallic orange paint job, just like this one :D

Cheers!

KrE9Eca.jpg

4 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hey renault. Easy to see why you like this add-on, And easy to see your talent as a screenshot artist. These are wonderful pictures. Just beautiful, Thanks!

Hi Rodger

I don't know about the talent part , but I sure do enjoy it :)

Thank you, I really appreciate the comment!

Cheers

R

12 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Beautiful shots Renault. What a clever gadget. Would that work in p3d 4.3?

5 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Does it?  Asking for a friend. :D

Hi guys

Thanks for the comments and the interest :)

Short answer - I don't believe so. 

XPlane is fundamentally a very different product at a coding level from both P3d and FSX (P3d was originally based upon FSX which is why there has been a basic compatibility between the two in some areas).  From the author's comments at the Avitab XPlane-Org  discussion forum ( link in my initial post above) " Avitab is a native and VR compatible plug in  for XPlane …. " . In fact it was originally developed for VR use only in XPlane as due to XPlane's structure in VR most windows that are available in 2D do not exist. From this I would initially conclude that Avitab would not be recognizable to a P3d installation. However, this is speculation on my part and perhaps a definitive answer could be obtained by posing the  question on the Avitab forum. The program developer "Folko" seems to be very responsive to requests and comments.

Not a good analogy I'm sure but "back in the old days before DVD" in North America there were two competing analogue video cassette tape systems for home movie viewing. They were the VHS system and the Sony Betamax system.  Both delivered exactly the same result, namely a video signal that was recognizable by a standard TV of the day. However, a VHS movie tape was completely unrecognizable to a Betamax system and vice versa. Unfortunately I am suspicious that the same situation exists with Avitab.

Sorry that I cannot be more helpful, but after reading through all the comments at the Avitab forum today and also trying  a web search with multiple engines, I have been unable to find anything to suggest that Avitab is anything but XPlane 11 compatible.

Cheers

Renault

PS - I agree with your interest. It is a very nice product and I have progressed to not flying without it :)

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:14 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Does it?  Asking for a friend. :D

I use this program (on my iPad) for Prepar3D v4.3
Remote Flight Map HD
https://remoteflight.net/remote-flight-map-hd

Screenshots from my iPad
vW0DHtB.jpg
0tCFToU.jpg
-Henk-

11 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Henk

Are you running P3D on your iPad?

Could this program be set up as a pop up on a PC based P3D installation?

TTM

TTM

No, it is a application for iPad. It is a moving map, it displays aircraft position, flight plan and its waypoints on the map.

No, it could not be set up as a pop up.

A program "RemoteFlight server" is needed (Windows or MacOS X) to make a Internet (wifi) connection between iPad and PC.

It works for FSX/Prepar3D/FS9/X-Plane 9, 10 and 11.

-Henk-

• 1 year later...

great shots Renault and a good explaination of Aviatab, I have been about this for a while now...you may have tipped the scales for me...

On 11/8/2018 at 11:50 AM, HeKa48 said:

TTM

No, it is a application for iPad. It is a moving map, it displays aircraft position, flight plan and its waypoints on the map.

No, it could not be set up as a pop up.

A program "RemoteFlight server" is needed (Windows or MacOS X) to make a Internet (wifi) connection between iPad and PC.

It works for FSX/Prepar3D/FS9/X-Plane 9, 10 and 11.

-Henk-

been thinking about something like this for P3D.....I was looking at buying an Ipad for something similar, is it easy to link to my PC?

LittleNavMap works for both P3D and XP and is a wonderful free (donationware, I seem to remember) product. There was talk of it maybe coming to AFS2 as well, I think, but I haven't seen any signs of that. I'm hoping it'll get ported for MFS (or maybe it won't be necessary - we'll find out soon)

13 hours ago, Toran said:

Great post Renault. Where did you get the UK Map for avitab?

Thank you

The maps are all automatic. It uses open source maps and pulls them off a server as you fly. They are stored in cache on your machine for 

later use , so you only download them once

It is also available to work on an "ipad" in the cockpit for certain aircraft  , or if you just like to fly in cockpit view, you  will have the map 

displayed on your screen.

Here are  representative screenshots over Seattle in TE Washington

Cheers

Pete

r9aSTDP.jpg

Yhu99i9.jpg

MsUATGI.jpg

9 hours ago, wain71 said:

great shots Renault and a good explaination of Aviatab, I have been about this for a while now...you may have tipped the scales for me...

been thinking about something like this for P3D.....I was looking at buying an Ipad for something similar, is it easy to link to my PC?

Remote Flight Map HD.

It's not too difficult, see herehttps://www.remoteflight.net/support
Program info: https://www.remoteflight.net/remote-flight-map-hd
Here are some screenshots from Bristol Airport.

PC Prepar3D
h3wJJPX.jpg
And this is what you see on the IPad Remote Flight Map HD 
eLpH7TA.jpg
PC Prepar3D
SPFlkm6.jpg
lJ7xq7l.jpg

Cheers,

Henk

22 hours ago, HeKa48 said:

Remote Flight Map HD.

It's not too difficult, see herehttps://www.remoteflight.net/support
Program info: https://www.remoteflight.net/remote-flight-map-hd
Here are some screenshots from Bristol Airport.

PC Prepar3D
h3wJJPX.jpg
eLpH7TA.jpg
PC Prepar3D
SPFlkm6.jpg
lJ7xq7l.jpg

Cheers,

Henk

very good looking piece of kit....like how you linked pictures from my area...will look at this a bit more.......

Archived