Me and taildraggers do not get along

Jack Sawyer

Aerofly FS 2 at Orbx's LOWI in the Sopwith.

I know some guys have a lot of trouble with choppers, well I have a lot of trouble with taildraggers.  I guess they were ahead of my time or interest as I grew up on tricycle gear planes.  

SHsmv0d.jpg

ZDnUQw8.jpg

APUSyJ2.jpg

Z3eNtLh.jpg

cBLZFcY.jpg

0LPzbsa.jpg

CkwOINp.jpg

nzUEChq.jpg

tGqPLQf.jpg

tLewOCp.jpg

3dkVKJI.jpg

Zqk0f1V.jpg

Aoid4aT.jpg

awc01Oq.jpg

NcQdyqZ.jpg

wueQn0t.jpg

u8gB2NF.jpg

KAj0ZsQ.jpg

1G7eSkH.jpg

BFcxszx.jpg

b2rGJ8b.jpg

VcVmgG4.jpg

Njmn8Oj.jpg

6ZLg32y.jpg

ESNBrYU.jpg

F4O4OtB.jpg

ni1HBdT.jpg

VVvHqYT.jpg

vNnSAxo.jpg

2 hours ago, jean marc said:

Great fun and pleasure - woww AF2 seems so beautiful B)

I noticed you have quickly repaired you poor new broken toy ... and did fly again :lol:

Thanks Jean Marc, yes, it fixes itself in AFS2 but you should have seen the other landings.  I "land" it by shutting down the program :D

1 hour ago, Haydon the Womble said:

I would like to see them put a tail dragger in GTA type games.

The moment they go a..e over ti. GAMEOVER Back to square 1.

They require a lot of finesse p[preferably no wheel brakes.

The moment they go a..e over ti.

Hi Haydon, what does go a..e over ti mean?

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Some nice moves in that old lady... but you missed the Inn bridges!

PS: Do not forget to pay toll for that motorway. I´ll show you a cheaper way around Innsbruck in my next post...

Thanks Gerold.  It was all I could to to keep this thing flying let alone go under any bridges :blink:

Priceless Jack, you had me laughing seeing your poor old Camel in pieces.

A very nice trip around the airport and environs though.

I hope you didn't take out you frustrations anywhere with those loaded guns.

Have a squiz at this Jack, taildraggers are great fun and of course another dimension to this great pastime of ours.

Now time for you do some circuits Jack!

11 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Priceless Jack, you had me laughing seeing your poor old Camel in pieces.

A very nice trip around the airport and environs though.

I hope you didn't take out you frustrations anywhere with those loaded guns.

Have a squiz at this Jack, taildraggers are great fun and of course another dimension to this great pastime of ours.

Thanks Martyn, I could learn if I had more time.  Thing is I have so little time for flights anymore despite not even working! :banghead:

Great set, Jack, but most old bi and tri-planes were underpowered, which made them lethal in steep turns from which they stalled out easily.  You clearly proved that.  WW1 dog-fights were turning contests, with the aircraft with the tightest non-stall turn the victor. 

A steep turn near the ground was a suicide manoeuver, even fifty years later we were all taught not to do a too steep turn on to final and risk a fatal stall - certainly when the instructor was on board.

4 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

You know, Jack, this was a helluva lot more entertaining than the average bear. I'm going to have to take a break and go get my heart rate back down. Whew! :lol:

Thanks Rodger!  I'm glad you enjoyed my antics.  I was trying.  :D

48 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

Your maintenance people are fantastic - get you back in the air so quickly and you look good as new.  I learned in a Cessna 140 - solo ground loop on hour thirteen - learned the lesson and never did it again. 

Thanks OND, I did the work myself!  A ground loop, the dreaded ground loop, seen many a YT on them, they're not pretty.

15 minutes ago, macca22au said:

Great set, Jack, but most old bi and tri-planes were underpowered, which made them lethal in steep turns from which they stalled out easily.  You clearly proved that.  WW1 dog-fights were turning contests, with the aircraft with the tightest non-stall turn the victor. 

A steep turn near the ground was a suicide manoeuver, even fifty years later we were all taught not to do a too steep turn on to final and risk a fatal stall - certainly when the instructor was on board.

Thanks Ian!  I love info like this!  It makes complete sense.  I guess I hit the old "coffin corners" and failed.

1 minute ago, Bermuda425 said:

You may know that more pilots died due to training crashes than in combat because they experienced the same trouble you did!

That's sad Erik.  No wonder they came up with tricycle gear.  I'm gonna try it again sometime soon in AFS2 as LOWI is so beautiful in it.

7 hours ago, Ray Farrugia said:

Great shots Jack.  I’m no expert but when you’re on the ground I’d recommend easy on the throttle. Remember no brakes on the really old ones:D

cheers

Thanks Ray, I think that's part of what I did and I thought I could just pull up, big mistake.

Hey Jack, you mastered the helicopter, this one should be a cinch for you!  A bit more time and a bit more practice is all you need from looking at those cracked up Camels in the pics!  Grand set except for the destruction of an old bi-plane!  :D

1 minute ago, Wakashi said:

Hey Jack, you mastered the helicopter, this one should be a cinch for you!  A bit more time and a bit more practice is all you need from looking at those cracked up Camels in the pics!  Grand set except for the destruction of an old bi-plane!  :D

Thanks Roger!  A couple cans of fix-a-flat, a can of Motor Honey, some baling wire and duct tape and she was good to go! :lol:

You're right, I can do it but as I type this I'm making a flight from Meigs to the new KMBS airport in a 182 and it's so scenic its hypnotic.

Archived