Real life Bighead on final

Sniper31

Hey everyone, caught this flying overhead as I was driving around the airfield on base (can't say which base ;) ). Not something you see everyday :)

xFbQhys.jpg

I thought it was pretty cool B) She looked A LOT bigger in person...when I first saw it coming from my left, I had to do a double take...I immediately thought of you all and snapped a quick pic. Good thing the speed limits on base are ridiculously slow, so it wasn't too risky ^_^

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

What a catch, must have been a great sight to see.

Is this the NASA one, I didn't realise they were still flying.

I did not see any markings on her as she passed in front of me...just a lot of shiny, bare metal. I did not know they were still flying either.

2 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

Fantastic picture you took Landon I bet the engines sounded good  regards EMM  

Interestingly, I did not hear any engine sounds...I am guessing because she was about to land?? 

2 hours ago, BradB said:

Nice catch Landon , did Martyn wave as he passed by . :):huh::wacko::lol:

Cheers

John

Lol...I did not catch Martyn, or anyone else waving as she passed...good thing it wasn't yellow! I would have hated to see that large baby go inverted right then :D

2 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great catch indeed. I've never seen one in real life.

Me either...a few weeks ago, I was driving down the same route and an A-10 taxied onto the runway and was sitting for takeoff clearance....it was a perfect shot, as that part of the road I was on passes around 500 meters from the runway threshold...plus, it's elevated a little. I was so enamored with it (I love the A-10...every Infantryman loves the A-10 ;) ) that I didn't think to take a picture. I almost forgot to snap this one too...haha!

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Great view, reaction & shot. Is this the ancient prop version?

It did indeed have props, and I was amazed by that. It was hard to believe the whole aircraft was flying in front of me.

1 hour ago, caleb1 said:

Wow! Fantastic catch. Boeing 337?

I don't know....Martyn? Gerold? Jack? Anyone know what model number this plane is?

I don't know....Martyn? Gerold? Jack? Anyone know what model number this plane is?

It looks like a 337. I think it's the "big" version that they called the "pregnant guppy." I think they only made of of those "big" ones and it was made to carry some space capsule from KVNY in Van Nuys California to somewhere on the east coast of the United States (I think it might have been Florida) for launching. It would not fit through any bridges or tunnels so they could not put it on a truck. Have you seen the movie "One Six Right"? It mentioned it I think. I think it is great that you got to see that plane. What airport was that at? Denver Intl?

1 hour ago, caleb1 said:

It looks like a 337. I think it's the "big" version that they called the "pregnant guppy." I think they only made of of those "big" ones and it was made to carry some space capsule from KVNY in Van Nuys California to somewhere on the east coast of the United States (I think it might have been Florida) for launching. It would not fit through any bridges or tunnels so they could not put it on a truck. Have you seen the movie "One Six Right"? It mentioned it I think. I think it is great that you got to see that plane. What airport was that at? Denver Intl?

29 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

The modernised Blimp, great capture.

Where did you say this was again???:D

cheers

Gumby

Guys, it's on a military base which I cannot name for security reasons...not that this was super secret, as it was broad daylight after all, but when it comes to picture of flight lines on U.S. military base, one has to be careful how much you say ;) That said, I can tell you it is NOT Denver Intl, nor anywhere in Denver :) 

Guys, it's on a military base which I cannot name for security reasons...not that this was super secret, as it was broad daylight after all, but when it comes to picture of flight lines on U.S. military base, one has to be careful how much you say [emoji6] That said, I can tell you it is NOT Denver Intl, nor anywhere in Denver [emoji4] 
Ah, thanks. It makes sense why that plane was there. I've never come across a military base that you are not allowed to tell the name of, but maybe it's a special secret one. [emoji846]

4 hours ago, caleb1 said:

Ah, thanks. It makes sense why that plane was there. I've never come across a military base that you are not allowed to tell the name of, but maybe it's a special secret one. emoji846.png

It's not that the base is secret at all, it's simply that when you post something like this, you should kind of keep it a little vague . Does that make more sense? In other words, I can share information, but it just can't be too specific ;)

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Great shot Landon!  I wonder what it was carrying to a military base, that's what has me curious.  But one thing I do like in the photo is the Hula girl on the dash. B):lol:

Jack, I simply could not leave Hawaii after being stationed there for three years and NOT have a hula girl :) Even my girlfriend agreed that the hula girl needed to go on the dash of my Jeep. :D

2 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

It's not that the base is secret at all, it's simply that when you post something like this, you should kind of keep it a little vague . Does that make more sense? In other words, I can share information, but it just can't be too specific ;)

Yes, makes better sense.

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Jack, I simply could not leave Hawaii after being stationed there for three years and NOT have a hula girl :) Even my girlfriend agreed that the hula girl needed to go on the dash of my Jeep. :D

I love it, it's cool!

On 15.5.2018 at 1:28 AM, Sniper31 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero_Spacelines_Super_Guppy

And, taking into account only 6 have been built and only 1 is reported active: this probably was the NASA version. Means I have seen it before, when it was the "Airbus Transporter 04". Now it would be NASA 941.

Sorry for answerring so late, RL came between us :D...

On 15.5.2018 at 3:05 AM, Sniper31 said:

Guys, it's on a military base which I cannot name for security reasons...not that this was super secret, as it was broad daylight after all, but when it comes to picture of flight lines on U.S. military base, one has to be careful how much you say ;) That said, I can tell you it is NOT Denver Intl, nor anywhere in Denver :) 

Who cares where it is: It is a fantastic view!

Unless... it might be some alien spaceships transported out of Area 51 :ph34r::D!

Unless... it might be some alien spaceships transported out of Area 51 [emoji185][emoji3]!

That's what I thought. [emoji2]

Ooh!  How I wish I could say what I cannot say.  

You don't work at Area 51 or anything of the sort do you Jack? Is it something that you *can* share privately but not publicly? In that case send a PM to all the forum members! [emoji2]

2 minutes ago, caleb1 said:

That's what I thought. emoji2.png

You don't work at Area 51 or anything of the sort do you Jack? Is it something that you *can* share privately but not publicly? In that case send a PM to all the forum members! emoji2.png

I know nothing. B)  And will always know nothing. B) ;)

Archived