Cruise to The Netherlands

Jack Sawyer

6 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Nice cruise Jack...what is with that island with the lone building on it....barely enough room for it on the land <_< 

Hi Landon,

Don't think Jack will know where he flew....sailed, so I will answer your question.

He departed from the river 'Vecht' through the village of 'Muiden' (not 'IJmuiden', which is at the Northsea coast) and sailed into the Markermeer (Southern part of the IJsselmeer as you should know by now)

On both sides of the river are several yachting harbours, which are not in the scenery, anyway.....

As the starboard side (righthand side for non-sailers), he passed the square castle, called 'Muiderslot', which is very beautiful inside and of course located on a marvelous spot, overlooking the Markermeer (https://www.muiderslot.nl/en/)

Right opposite the river Vecht is an island located, called 'Pampus' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pampus)

Pampus is only available from one side with smaller boats, it has a concrete ring wall around it, located under water.

In the older days it should have a tunnel connection to the Muiderslot, but I don't know if this is true.

Shot 4: In the background the A1 highway is situated, a major connection from Amsterdam to Germany and beyound. 

Best regards

-Fred-

10 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Nice cruise Jack...what is with that island with the lone building on it....barely enough room for it on the land <_< 

Thanks Landon, no idea but I see Fred explains it. quite well.

9 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

A tight fit but a fit!

Thanks Erik.  At least I'm in water this time.:D

5 hours ago, paulb said:

Neat shots Jack! That is one big ship! :)

Thanks Paul, it sure is, I'm still amazed at how they swarm everything around them.

5 hours ago, renault said:

"Cap'n Jack"

It has a very nice ring to it:)

Very nicely done

Cheers

R

Thanks Renault!

4 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

Well Jack fantastic set of shots well in  Holland you have plenty of water to cruise around with you ship regards EMM

Thanks EMM!  But I think Fred would get upset with me. :unsure:

4 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Would you be so kind not to ruine our waterways....please :o

Sorry Fred, I hope I didn't do any damage, I thought it would be deep enough. :o

8 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Hi Landon,

Don't think Jack will know where he flew....sailed, so I will answer your question.

He departed from the river 'Vecht' through the village of 'Muiden' (not 'IJmuiden', which is at the Northsea coast) and sailed into the Markermeer (Southern part of the IJsselmeer as you should know by now)

On both sides of the river are several yachting harbours, which are not in the scenery, anyway.....

As the starboard side (righthand side for non-sailers), he passed the square castle, called 'Muiderslot', which is very beautiful inside and of course located on a marvelous spot, overlooking the Markermeer (https://www.muiderslot.nl/en/)

Right opposite the river Vecht is an island located, called 'Pampus' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pampus)

Pampus is only available from one side with smaller boats, it has a concrete ring wall around it, located under water.

In the older days it should have a tunnel connection to the Muiderslot, but I don't know if this is true.

Shot 4: In the background the A1 highway is situated, a major connection from Amsterdam to Germany and beyound. 

Best regards

-Fred-

Cool Fred, thank you for that detailed explanation and historical background...always enjoy little tidbits like that tunnel info too...I'm always skeptic when it comes to legends and folklore, but I love hearing about it nonetheless :) 

4 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Cool Fred, thank you for that detailed explanation and historical background...always enjoy little tidbits like that tunnel info too...I'm always skeptic when it comes to legends and folklore, but I love hearing about it nonetheless :) 

You're welcome...

5 hours ago, mikee said:

Something different this time ! Well done Jack , i like them All :)

Thank Mikee!  Glad you liked them, I really enjoyed taking them.

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic flight & shots, Jack. But I still miss the expected bridges here!

Probably many more paxes on board of your boat than fitting on the island...

Thanks Gerold, I'll eventually get a chance to do the bridges, in due time. :D

I could imagine all those people trying to get on that island!  :o

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I hope you will bow to the stern Dutch official who will be questioning you for breaking their navigation laws!:wacko::wacko:

Indeed, Martyn, and he will be friendly requested (ordered) to set the engines in reverse, leave the river Vecht and never ever come back.

And don't dare to try to make a U-turn in our narrow waterways....:footmouth:

3 hours ago, Chunk said:

This thread was brought back from the dead! ;) 

Yes, Chunk, this thread is live again after 1.5 year remain in silence.

I know this area so well and my boat Sundancer has sailed the Markermeer so many times...

By the way, did you know that opposite the squared castle (Muiderslot) the boat of our former queen Beatrix is berthed (is that correct English?)

image.png.5577c5109567037fdc769cf0606c1041.png

Archived