Something different 2 : meteorite & stromatolite tour in Australia

jean marc

The Murchison meteorite landed in September 1969 at 60 miles North of Melbourne...

With Lucy, the pleasant pilot I met during my last flight (previous post), I am flying around to look for any residual fragments...

k9VyR27.jpg

Fv40L5C.jpg

we were looking for a place to land... (by a mysterious effect our plane was different to land :huh:)

IJmzItz.jpg

B26kLuG.jpg

mzPsQBZ.jpg

Here we are... 73 type of amino acids have been found in the Murchison meteorite, all strictly originated from deep space.

Indeed not from Earth contamination as they are left-handed shape which are not existing naturally in our world !

(to be left handed is always intersting B) ). 

Also it contains carbonean chondrites (type of material issued from supernova event) and therefore the meteorite provides by nuclear datation the age of our Solar System so the age of the Earth

Well, quite a remote place... Not a really beautiful landscape but were happy to be there... and we were surprised to see a strange little bright green thing in a field...

We approached to it...

cT9wwzr.jpg

Yes - that's not from here ... and in fact it was a very friendly little green guy despite some bad reputation by movies...Let's call him LGG.

He asked us to take him to Western Australia - Hamelin Pool bay...close to Shark Bay, north of Perth...
why this place ? it is the location of the biggest colony of living stromatolites !

KU0xLCQ.jpg

By special engine power provided by LGG, despite our plane, we arrived extremely quickly at Shark Bay (I will be very short about this as Elon Musk coud read this post...). 

84PlU4n.jpg

qTJ1pkt.jpg

In Hamelin Pool, the sea water is twice as saline as usual sea water due to a bar across the entrance of the bay and also due to rapid evaporation of shallow water : so no predator can survive there and there are still existing stromatolites

A bit deceptful in the sim : I added pictures of the real stromatolites : they are sedimentary grains accretions from the first living cells - cyanobacteria - which provided slowly oxygen on earth for next living species

zsovZDc.jpg

zRkcrvs.jpg

Hw3YcOR.jpg

LGG asked us next to drop him in a specific remote place : Wolfe Creek crater ... where he could return to its world

He explained us how to go there : it is around at 320 NM around ESE of Broome - south of Halls Creek Airport...

PHYAxfj.jpg

going south along the narrow road...

VayWUqJ.jpg

1gfMOgW.jpg

CEN31hf.jpg

meeting other planes with tourist (LGG has to be hidden in the cockpit B) )

image.thumb.png.8deb55ae80088576c78cd00519b8746e.png

yes we found it ...

5XlXPY9.jpg

The crater's age is estimated to be less than 300,000 years...very young reletively to the stromatolites :) 

The real place is really beautiful with the vegetation inside the crater

(I think it is the 2nd largest in the world after meteor crater of Arizona)

ljBeC2m.jpg

We landed rightly in the center ... LGG was impressioned :P

KGrkFdP.jpg

To thank us for the trip, LGG has kindly offered to Lucy a typical suit from its world : a wonderful T-shirt printed with plenty of colored diamonds

We said goodbye to LGG and have took of directly ... yes the 2 last screenshots are of course Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

H0TvgWd.jpg

3RG3wfR.jpg

I hope this absolutely true* story was not too long...

* Here is the proof k5ozE5Q.jpg

A riveting post with a great narration and some clever visual effects.:P

Plenty of educational and amusing stuff here, very well done.:)

If you were at Murchison how come you didn't fly 35km north to visit me, you would have been made most welcome.:D

Many thanks for making me aware of the happenings at Murchison 49 years ago. I have lived in the area for the last 10 years but have never heard of this.:huh:

I drive through the town on the way to Melbourne so next time I will keep one eye on the road with one eye looking for any remaining meteorite fragments and aliens!:ph34r:

One of the things I like so much here is the interesting stuff I learn and being taught local history from a gent on the other side of the world.:lol:

30 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

If you were at Murchison how come you didn't fly 35km north to visit me, you would have been made most welcome.:D

Many thanks for making me aware of the happenings at Murchison 49 years ago. I have lived in the area for the last 10 years but have never heard of this.:huh:

I drive through the town on the way to Melbourne so next time I will keep one eye on the road with one eye looking for any remaining meteorite fragments and aliens!:ph34r:

One of the things I like so much here is the interesting stuff I learn and being taught local history from a gent on the other side of the world.:lol:

+1 - The most interesting post I have ever seen on this forum , well done Sir !! . 

John

Wow Jean-Marc, what a post! This spread is chock full of fun and information...it's like one of those movies you watch over and over, each time finding more hidden nuggets. Also, so many great shots of planes and scenery in here...just brimming with entertainment value :)

19 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thank you very much for your kind comments .... Yes it was a post really not from a local but by a complete foreigner from the other side of our blue planet :lol:. I just read a book about Earth history (and all science history) talking about these subjets : by Bill Bryson : "A Short History of Nearly Everything" which is absolutely great

Amazing if you could pass next through Murchison village : it seems there is still another green guy around...It seems he found something like a boomerang and plan to offer it to its next friend...Try to propose him a flight ?

MhhhO2I.jpg

18 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

finding more hidden nuggets

oh yes that's the pleasure when writing the small story - small details 

16 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this - one of the most unusual, original, fun posts on this forum. Thanks for making the effort to share this with us!

Very happy to be a little fun :)

14 hours ago, adambar said:

Utterly fantastic post Jean Marc, enjoyed it! :D 

... and with a wonderful waco ! thank you again for your information to get its amazing skin (NB : "vintage waco" skin from avsim by Stefan Schroen & Bernd Koehling)

13 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Jean Marc. Wonderful story. I too got hit in the head by a tiny meteorite. I've never been quite the same:blink:. However your little guy looking out of your plane looks a lot like Achmed:rolleyes:  (Durham ventriloquist). Cheers k:)

Glad you like the story.

In fact I have really 4 small meteorites at home : one of them is of the same type, carbonean chondrite, from Allende in Mexico : this landed also in 1969 - maybe from the same parent rock - (need to look for information about this) 

I didnt know Achmed - well LGG was much more cool and not only a stuck of bones :)

54 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was awesome Jean Marc, highly educational and exceptionally funny and creative, I loved it!

Thank you very much Jack - good to be funny and little bit interesting :rolleyes: 

11 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

Funny yet very informative post, well done Jean-Marc!

Thank you Francois - nice to be viewed from Quebec :) That reminds me to make a flight bythere one day but first I will look for something to tell about somethere (as I have been in the country many years ago - I loved it - I will find it !)

On 16/04/2018 at 7:41 AM, paulb said:

A fascinating post Jean Marc! :)

Thank you for your kind comment Paul - the real story of the stromatolite is fascinating and was difficult to summary in a few worlds :

I remind the Bill Bryso'n 's book "A Short History of Nearly Everything" which is absolutely great about everything of the discovering of Earth & Life history and really clear & fun to read

• 3 weeks later...

What a pity I have overlooked this post when you initially did it, Jean Marc. It is full of geographical & even scientific knowlegde - fantastic reading!

I knew there were strange things landed some decades ago about 60 miles north of Melbourne, one of these originated in Britain. The question is which one is the more exotic lifeform :D.

8 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

What a pity I have overlooked this post when you initially did it, Jean Marc. It is full of geographical & even scientific knowlegde - fantastic reading!

I knew there were strange things landed some decades ago about 60 miles north of Melbourne, one of these originated in Britain. The question is which one is the more exotic lifeform :D.

Thank you very much for your kind comment Gerold...Happy you liked it

Oh Yes around the place a lot of strange people ... but chutttt - some will maybe read this post again B)

14 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

Super set of shots and well put together i enjoyed them all Jean marc  regards EMM 

Thank you very much Stewart - very glad you enjoy the story - that encourages me to think about others...:)

Archived