Race day at Mt. Panorama

Jack Sawyer

"Start your engine!"  

OJQvfu1.jpg

"Nice sign George, but what's a Holden?"

RyDu2Ab.jpg

"I dunno Marge, maybe they left off the first two letters?  Be?"

hJ2UVQn.jpg

"Who are we racing against?"  "Just the clock."  "The clock?  Is it analog or digital?  A.M. or P.M.?  Military or Greenwich....?"  "Just be quiet while I drive!"

Zbb9lGJ.jpg

"Nice road!"

zu967PE.jpg

"Is that the turnoff for JC Penneys?"

282wWnO.jpg

"Yeah.....no!"

dCQKaAi.jpg

"Nice trees, I wonder if they're dogwoods?"  "Whoever heard of a dog made of wood?!"

Auq10Yy.jpg

"Oooh, looky, a nice place for a picnic!"  "Let's stop!"  "NO!"

1Vo5qEc.jpg

"Careful in this turn!"  "Quit with the backseat driving will ya?"

roMw0rB.jpg

silence....

Sr18ahn.jpg

VAMXNTt.jpg

"Nice house, I wonder if they're having a yard sale this weekend?"

voxBzx0.jpg

...why did I bring the wife along?...

TXTFJ6q.jpg

"Jim Beam?  Who's he?"  "A real good friend of mine!  I'm gonna meet up with him after I drop you off!"

vFKmdOj.jpg

wIEcRib.jpg

tMz2e8V.jpg

"FUSO trucks." Are we driving a FUSO?"  "No, it's a Beemer!"  "A Beemer?  I don't see no beems!"

VuemSs6.jpg

pcQzv3T.jpg

7MojVgT.jpg

"What a lovely spot!"

Fi3Djkd.jpg

"Careful on that edge, do you think we're in Australia or something?"  "We are In Australia, or something, sheesh!"  "Don't sheesh me!"

b9tM3YX.jpg

"Armor All? Do they wear armor here, like knights in shining armor?"  "Yeah, they do, close your eyes and pretend."

rb7kN7G.jpg

"Can we get a supercheap auto, these BMW payments are killing us!"

HpRH8pj.jpg

grumble grumble grumble

aWVPqZz.jpg

"And the winner is the Beemer ladies and gennelmens!"

HGmfk0K.jpg

9QgRPtl.jpg

rhBR533.jpg

lJtxduA.jpg

ib1rtlR.jpg

QWJklTD.jpg

8U0VguV.jpg

"Do you hear complaining?"  "Yeah, it's coming from the Beemer!"

FZPnXcN.jpg

tWxjd0L.jpg

"Bring the Bentley around, I'm done flying for today!"

vzGt46S.jpg

Fantastic, Jack! Love your sense of humour in the commentary, and still treasure the visits I've made to the Mountain. And congrats again to the developers - it's a great representation of the circuit.

1 minute ago, jaje said:

Fantastic, Jack! Love your sense of humour in the commentary, and still treasure the visits I've made to the Mountain. And congrats again to the developers - it's a great representation of the circuit.

Thank you kind sir!  I appreciate your comments and gosh, I'd love to go there, must be a lot of fun.

47 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

You finally found it Jack, good on'ya! Nice drive around the track and an even better aerial tour of the track!

Thanks Landon!  It was fun, glad you liked it!

20 minutes ago, BradB said:

I created a monster , Jack will be on that racetrack now , morning , noon and night . :o:rolleyes:;):lol:

Cheers

John

Thanks John!  Would that I could, not enough time, I want to try that other track, isn’t it in California?

5 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

Great story Jack!

Greg

Thanks Greg!  Glad you enjoyed it.

Excellent post Mr Sawyer, had me laughing for most of the ride, (sounded like me and the missus)!:P

17 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I want to try that other track, isn’t it in California?

Yep Jack, Laguna Seca Racetrack, look in your user docs for KMRY to see the location.  You and the wife have fun driving that one too!! :lol:

Jack, you ask what is a Holden. It is a vehicle made by General Motors Holden in Australia. It is claimed that is has the power of several hundred horses but in reality it is the glue from several hundred horses that is Holden it together :rolleyes:.

WOnderful tour around Mount Panorama Jack, you should get that rattle in the BMW seen to as it must get on your nerves.:o

Highly amusing commentary.:lol:

Once you have done Laguna Seca don't forget to make your way over to Goodwood and do a spin around the old circuit there.;)

11 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Excellent post Mr Sawyer, had me laughing for most of the ride, (sounded like me and the missus)!:P

Yep Jack, Laguna Seca Racetrack, look in your user docs for KMRY to see the location.  You and the wife have fun driving that one too!! :lol:

Thanks Roger, I know people like this! :lol::o

11 hours ago, JMBIII said:

Neat shots. Gonna  give it a go also !

One correction, Jack.

Beemer = BMW motorcycle

Bimmer = BMW automobile

Cheers,

JoeBimmer  :lol:

BMW 328 Conv.

BMW 530i 6 Sp.

BMW X5 (wife's)

Thanks JM!  I didn't know there were so many ways to pronounce and describe a BMW!  BMW etiquette! :lol:

10 hours ago, adambar said:

Great stuff Jack, enjoyed the story and shot! :lol:

Thanks Adam!

5 hours ago, paulb said:

LOL Jack! :lol:. That was one entertaining drive! :D

Thanks Paul!  I had fun.

3 hours ago, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

Jack, you ask what is a Holden. It is a vehicle made by General Motors Holden in Australia. It is claimed that is has the power of several hundred horses but in reality it is the glue from several hundred horses that is Holden it together :rolleyes:.

:lol: I've had cars like that Pat! :lol:

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

WOnderful tour around Mount Panorama Jack, you should get that rattle in the BMW seen to as it must get on your nerves.:o

Highly amusing commentary.:lol:

Once you have done Laguna Seca don't forget to make your way over to Goodwood and do a spin around the old circuit there.;)

Thanks Martyn!  Where's Goodwood, I see a theme here.

3 hours ago, boetie said:

Speechless!

Thanks boetie! 

1 hour ago, Taph said:

Nice one Jack, swap your co pilot or buy ear plugs :D

Thanks Taph, I should have brough some along! :lol:

10 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Ah!

Great set.

Bathurst races.

Seen many on TV over the years.

Ford v Holden until last decade.

You'll find them on youtube I think.

TTM

Thanks TTM!  I'll have to look when I get a chance.

Very nice series Jack. Love your humour.

As you and your wife found out, the Mt Panorama circuit is open to the public for most of the year as normal country roads but the enforced speed limit is the regular Australian 60kmH (37mph)

I see, from the inside shot of the dash, that your wife kept you to our speed limit along the famous Conrod Straight which is a pity. The straight speed attained by many cars on race day is around 290 kmH (186 mph)

It is Impressive to watch.

Interesting to see if you can keep the Bimmer on the ground at race speed instead of at taxiing speed :) (You might need to keep the ballast at home)

Keep up the good work. 

Aussie

I did forget to add that they were also great shots Jack. I can remember going there for the Armstrong 500 in 1965. Those were the days before we converted to metrics and that was a 500 mile race. Those were the days when the rules stated that the cars competing were showroom standard. No engine tweaks or fat tyres. Used to be great to hear the tyres screaming on the slightest curve.

I have driven around there several times over the years (at the posted 60kmh) and am in awe of the ability of race day drivers being able to take corners at speeds of up to 150kmh when I struggled to do so at 60kmh.

8 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Very nice

cheers 

Iain 

Thank you Iain!

5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I am so happy to be able to re visit in FSim 60 years later.:o

Glad you enjoyed thee ride Martyn! :)

1 hour ago, Aussie123 said:

Very nice series Jack. Love your humour.

As you and your wife found out, the Mt Panorama circuit is open to the public for most of the year as normal country roads but the enforced speed limit is the regular Australian 60kmH (37mph)

I see, from the inside shot of the dash, that your wife kept you to our speed limit along the famous Conrod Straight which is a pity. The straight speed attained by many cars on race day is around 290 kmH (186 mph)

It is Impressive to watch.

Interesting to see if you can keep the Bimmer on the ground at race speed instead of at taxiing speed :) (You might need to keep the ballast at home)

Keep up the good work. 

Aussie

Thanks Aussie!  186 is fast, my Vette could do that in a minute, would love it.  We have absolutely nothing here in the states like that.  Would be fun. To get on a track takes a lot of $$$ and too much paperwork.

2 minutes ago, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

I did forget to add that they were also great shots Jack. I can remember going there for the Armstrong 500 in 1965. Those were the days before we converted to metrics and that was a 500 mile race. Those were the days when the rules stated that the cars competing were showroom standard. No engine tweaks or fat tyres. Used to be great to hear the tyres screaming on the slightest curve.

I have driven around there several times over the years (at the posted 60kmh) and am in awe of the ability of race day drivers being able to take corners at speeds of up to 150kmh when I struggled to do so at 60kmh.

Thanks Pat!  500 miles on that track?  It must have taken all day and night!  Wow.  Man that would be fun.  Wish we had something like that, we have the insanity of I-20 here in Atlanta every day, if you're not doing 136 KPH you'll be run over! :o But at rush hour you might get up to 8 kph!

The race these day is 1000 kilometres. Usually takes about 6 hours to complete unless there are safety cars called on which happens quite often. Over the years there have been some spectacular incidents. One of those resulted in the death of a driver on Conrod Straight which brought about the introduction of the bit the call the Chase just before the Dunlop bridge. This has also resulted in some amazing run offs into the kitty litter.

1 minute ago, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

The race these day is 1000 kilometres. Usually takes about 6 hours to complete unless there are safety cars called on which happens quite often. Over the years there have been some spectacular incidents. One of those resulted in the death of a driver on Conrod Straight which brought about the introduction of the bit the call the Chase just before the Dunlop bridge. This has also resulted in some amazing run offs into the kitty litter.

That's 621 miles!  I get uncomfortable after 100 miles!  I don't know how they do it and like you said, it's dangerous.  I'd love to see it in real life though!

Archived