EU Netherlands TrueEarth - alpha shots!

Please tell us you've also modelled the Glider sites in NL?! I fly from Nistelrode airfield, and it's never been modelled before :(

There's probably about 10 which just have 1 or 2 square buildings, a strip and a windsock. (like Malden, Terlet, Lemelerveld, Haemstede, Langevelderslag, and ofcourse Niselrode :) )

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, briansommers said:

Oh man you made my day, this is what I was thinking and hoping this was! FINALLY! Brilliant marketing on ORBX end.. now we can buy it all over again, only better and more "realer" in which I'll gladly do for this new photoreal stuff! This is very exciting. I can't imagine doing "real" VFR flights now and bush flying will take on a whole new meaning and I'm guessing in p3d v4.1 sloped runways?

Well, now, so far only Netherlands and PNW have been announced. ;) Let's first see how those work out. JV didn't say they will redo every region with this photoreal tech! And sloped runways are still a problem on P3D afaik. But no matter what, things are looking great! I'd be more than happy with just these two regions with the new tech already! (Well... would be another dream come true if Norway would get the same treatment... but as I said, let's first see what these two will work out, haha!)

16 minutes ago, Hans Bodde said:

Please tell us you've also modelled the Glider sites in NL?! I fly from Nistelrode airfield, and it's never been modelled before :(

There's probably about 10 which just have 1 or 2 square buildings, a strip and a windsock. (like Malden, Terlet, Lemelerveld, Haemstede, Langevelderslag, and ofcourse Niselrode :) )

If they haven't done that already they may decide to do so now. Yesterday or today one dev asked for interesting POI's to add so things aren't set in stone yet. Obviously the Netherlands will be the region with the least amount of airports ever so they might as well add every little strip there is. ;)

3 minutes ago, J van E said:

If they haven't done that already they may decide to do so now. Yesterday or today one dev asked for interesting POI's to add so things aren't set in stone yet. Obviously the Netherlands will be the region with the least amount of airports ever so they might as well add every little strip there is. ;)

True, we have about 25 airports in all. And a bunch of helipads ofcourse. Waiting for AFS2 version to come. Will buy day 1, regardless of glidersites ;) 

15 minutes ago, Hans Bodde said:

True, we have about 25 airports in all. And a bunch of helipads ofcourse. Waiting for AFS2 version to come. Will buy day 1, regardless of glidersites ;) 

I will probably get both versions: P3D for my simming needs but also because I don't think I can wait for the AFS2 version which I will probably get for my VR needs.

I've been hoping for the day a major scenery developer would start making total photo scenery areas with correctly placed autogen.

I'm hopeful this will prove to be so successful you will do other areas the same way. 

I have a lot of the ftx areas & the  open LC Europe, but I still tend to use my old UK photo sceneries instead.

Just now, sleightflight said:

I've been hoping for the day a major scenery developer would start making total photo scenery areas with correctly placed autogen.

I'm hopeful this will prove to be so successful you will do other areas the same way. 

I have a lot of the ftx areas & the  open LC Europe, but I still tend to use my old UK photo sceneries instead.

These screenies are amazing.  XP11 folks are doing their own ortho work with autogen and its all free but only one season, colour can be an issue, but some of it is outstanding.

Great that Orbx is taking this on, most likely a test project but one can see this moving in this direction. There will need to be some involvement of data storage (bigger, faster, cheaper), while one can buy (and I already own) large terabyte drives, a world of ortho photo scenery with object overlays will require vast amounts of it.

1 hour ago, Hans Bodde said:

We will add the glider fields, yes.

Simplicity superb. What a fantastic job the team has done. :wub:  This is something that I thought I would never live long enough to see. 

Are all the new regions going to be of this quality from now on? 

Just now, tuisong said:

Are all the new regions going to be of this quality from now on? 

No that’s simply not possible. Only where free or affordable satellite imagery is available do photoreal regions become feasible. For example to license the UK it would cost a ridiculous amount of money, same with Norway.

7 minutes ago, John Venema said:

No that’s simply not possible. Only where free or affordable satellite imagery is available do photoreal regions become feasible. For example to license the UK it would cost a ridiculous amount of money, same with Norway.

Ok, pity (about Norway) but good to know. And not surprised because (consistent) imagery for Norway seems impossible to get. As I said earlier, the Netherlands and PNW alone are more than enough for me already! I have flown in PNW for years without flying anywhere else (switched to Norway the day it was released and stayed there until Germany South had been released) and with this new tech I can do that again, I am sure. ;) But first I will spend a LOT of time in my home country! :) 

13 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Thanks John, what a shame that all the imagery is not affordable. Maybe one day it will be. We can but live in hope. 

Everybody is very enthousiastic, including me of course.....but I have nobody heard about performance or loss in FPS?

Is that an issue with these photoreal satellitebased images?

And how large will the size of FTX EU Netherlands be? I understood it is 4 season based, that's a lot of material...?

Are there any figures available yet?

Regards Fred

3 hours ago, John Venema said:

Yes we do plan to do a photoreal PNW (excluding Canadian area) for FSX/P3D as well. Firstly however we will tackle it in AFS2.

Sorry but I think that you are wasting your time with aerofly. You guys are solely basing this sim on scenery. How about weather? Immersion planes? Need PMDG, Aerosoft, F2F, FSL.

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

That's fair enough and makes perfect sense, really. Perhaps this method might be a good way forward at some point in the future as a way of introducing some fresh regions scattered in other topographically-interesting parts of the world where the imagery could be a lot cheaper or more affordable, regions that may be further afield from the more traditional regions but where a photorealistic base would just make a pilot's jaw drop with irresistible scenery to experience flying in and exploring. Just thinking aloud really.

I can not but agree with Jordan, the future of flight simulation is here, way to go Orbx! :) 

One question comes to mind however. Amsterdam is known for beeing somewhat of a framerate killer much like Seattle. I especially imagine Amsterdam with the Flytampa addon, a combination I have not even dared to try. Will Orbx optimize the area further and what results are you seeing today with all that beautiful autogen. Perhaps not an easy question to answer in this early alpha stage and naturally it depends on the users own system as well. I'm just a bit concerned.

Mike

Ok, this one will be photoreal. Looks good, I wonder how you managed to avoid the v4 issue with photoreal sceneries? Obviously P3Dv4 has an intrinsic issue with displaying the photoreal ground in the highest resolution, a problem LM is aware of and not yet fixed it. Did you at ORBX manage to get a workaround for this?

I am surprised, that nobody mention the existing freeware photoscenery of the Netherlands including all the Dutch airports of the NL2000 team. And I hope to compare the new ORBX FTX version with the NL2000 version. I looking forward to that. Joop , NL2000team .

54 minutes ago, phmak said:

I am surprised, that nobody mention the existing freeware photoscenery of the Netherlands including all the Dutch airports of the NL2000 team. And I hope to compare the new ORBX FTX version with the NL2000 version. I looking forward to that. Joop , NL2000team .

I think it hasn't been mentioned because that would be off topic here (and also not allowed afaik). However, NL2000 certainly passed my mind when I read about this new FTX version. I also know Orbx didn't do a landclass version of the Netherlands because of NL2000 (John told me so a lot of years ago when I asked for an Orbx version of the Netherlands). But with this new tech they deciced to do it after all and I am very happy with that. 

14 minutes ago, Deanl90 said:

Hi @John Venema - I see you offer England as payware for FSX and P3D. Can this not be available for Aerofly FS2? Would love to buy the scenery if you could do that! Thanks, Dean

To save John some time: that won't happen because scenery for Aerofly FS 2 can only be photoreal and John already posted Orbx won't be doing England in photoreal because of satellite images being too costly. Using landclass scenery in Aerofly is a no go.

In some ways very exciting with regards to the detail, etc.  One possible concern would be SSD space footprint.  Netherlands is a relatively small area compared to other FTX areas but my understanding is that photo real is storage heavy (possibly more so with 5 seasons).  Just curious how this footprint will compare with other FTX regions?

17 minutes ago, BrettT said:

In some ways very exciting with regards to the detail, etc.  One possible concern would be SSD space footprint.  Netherlands is a relatively small area compared to other FTX areas but my understanding is that photo real is storage heavy (possibly more so with 5 seasons).  Just curious how this footprint will compare with other FTX regions?

I am also curious. I do know that photoreal addons for Switserland for other sims take around 15 to 20 GB. So I suppose the Netherlands, being similar in size, will be at least that. If seasonal textures actually mean 4 extra complete sets of textures you might be looking at 75 to 100 GB already. Add a few GB for the buildings and vector data etc. and well... So yes, I am very curious how much space I will have to save. ;) 

Looking absolutely stunning, but I'm worried about the VAS. Therefor I would have prefered a landclass-based region like England, Norway or Germany.

Also note that there is something similar to this already available, it's called NL2000 and it's freeware! However currently from NL2000 I only got the airports installed and not the provinces for two reasons. One is that they take up too much VAS and two is that they don't blend nicely at the borders. If ORBX is able to tackle these issues nicely I'm willing to give it a try, otherwise not.

Archived