EU Netherlands TrueEarth - alpha shots!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, fly2012 said:

Could you rework FTX Norway?

15 hours ago, SamuelFita said:

That would be great if Ftx Norway will be reworked...

I would also love that, there is no region I would love to see with this new tech as much as Norway, but it won't happen. Here's what John said a while ago when someone asked if all regions would get this treatment:

On 29-10-2017 at 9:28 PM, John Venema said:

No that’s simply not possible. Only where free or affordable satellite imagery is available do photoreal regions become feasible. For example to license the UK it would cost a ridiculous amount of money, same with Norway.

4 hours ago, fly2012 said:

Someone posted a link for free HD pictures of the complete Norway region a few months ago, I have saved that link and can post it tommorow.

Really? So we make a good looking sim such as P3D V4.1 has become looking like a google earth sim such as Xplane 11 with washed out texture? A bit pointless to me... besides you can always get free photo-real since fsx time however they look plain horrible, even in Xplane with added OMS data they are still horrible. 

What ORBX is doing is more than doing an Xplane like job that is why to me is worth it, some region such as Cali and PNW really are perfectly navigable VFR with charts as they are, some as England really need a rework, however I would not compare this to free "picture" to put as "background" of the sim, IMHO of course.

I am very excited. Can't wait for the Netherlands. I live in Enkhuizen, a place at the IJsselmeer (big lake in the middle of the Netherlands).

I hope we can view the famous Drommedaris!

5a4e2fda9ed66_Enkhuizen-Drommedaris.thumb.jpg.eb591daf4db93e5ca31b68235631a0fc.jpg

Thanks and all of a great 2018 flying year in good health!

Wil

A place I know so well....a few more months to go and then I'll be sailing there again with my boat.

I have mentioned it already a few times, the old cities around the Markermeer and IJsselmeer MUST be available in 'The Netherlands' photoreal scenery, otherwise it will not be complete.

The name of my boat....well guess what ;)

Best regards Fred

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, SamuelFita said:

Are you working on a photoreal Germany?

Sam, I guess I have to clarify a couple of things.

1) I wrote above post in the wrong topic by error. Actually I wanted to reply in the following topic, where JV asks who would be interested in a photoreal Germany for FSX, P3D and Aerofly FS2.

2. In the meantime I have reread parts of the above mentioned topic and stumbled across post #125 in which JV modifies his initial statement and says Germany photoreal was only a subject for Aerofly FS2.

8 hours ago, wolfko said:

If it's not too late, count me in for a photoreal GER, but at the moment just for Aerofly FS2.

Please disregard my post #253 which I have posted in the wrong topic by error.

On 24-1-2018 at 9:58 PM, J van E said:

Apparently not. ;)

PS Although I have to say I am dying for information. This is one of my most anticipated Orbx releases ever...! And an absolute must have and instant buy. I'd pay for it now in advance already if possible. So of someone from Orbx could throw us a bone... some nice new screenies with POI's for instance...

The Netherlands is a sound choice for trying and publishing new approaches to scenery-making:  Although I live in Australia I have visited Amsterdam and much of southern Netherlands on a number of occasions and also done the obligatory Amsterdam, Rhine Canal and onwards river trip. You can't make an avatar of a skilled barman pouring schnapps!

But it is the people who make it interesting, while acknowledging some of the old architecture. though not so much the landscape with its vast human input in drainage channels.

I am winding up to say, apart from doing ILS into Schipol in the endless rain, I do wish you had chosen a slightly more geomorphically interesting place for this first essay.

Hi JV,

Apologies if its been addressed and l missed it. To keep it short, can l please ask:

1. Are any parts of Australia freeware to allow this to be done to Australia, or parts of Australia.

2. If yes, does Orbx consider Australia or parts of it to be  a viable financial option.

3, If yes to the above two, will Orbx be looking/considering Australia some time in the future.

Just yes or no’s would be fine to the questions as l understand how busy you are.

Thanks and again my apologies if this has already been addressed.

Anthony

Honestly, I am a bit unsure about the further development of ORBX. The Netherlands will be photo-based. The neighboring Germany, according to another thread, will remain landclass-based only, at least for FSX/Prepar3d. PNW (the US part) was said to become available as a photo-based scenery once, not sure if this is still valid. Once I was under the impression ORBX would try to go the photo-path as much as available imagery permit, but this seems to have changed already.

According to my experience, photo and landclass sceneries just don't match well. That's not only the boundaries but the general feeling flying from one style into the other one, its not unlike flying into another world, at least for VFR. I am sure ORBX will try to make this transition mild, as they did with their photo-real airports fitting into a landclass surrounding, but these are relatively limited areas. The seasons issue certainly exacerbates this.

I am still a bit unsure what the future FTX world will look like and if I will like it. At present, my Prepar3d setup is essentially ORBX landlass-based, with all pros and cons, but it is at least coherent, which is a big advantage in my mind. It's just because of this that I mostly avoided any other global addons to interfere.

On the other hand, AeroflyFS2, while it still lacks a lot, is pursuing a consequent photo-based approach which, even more, just looks (and performs) overwhelming indeed.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael, let me allay your fears. Flying from landclass-based Germany South into photoreal Netherlands will be a seamless experience and you will be hard pressed to find the boundary. This is because Netherlands is colour matched to the FTX texture palette and uses the exact same trees, buildings and 3D objects as Germany. The seasons are also identical in colour. The only difference will be the roads in Germany are laid over the LC textures compared to the roads in the Netherlands being photoreal.

We have no plans to cover the world in photoreal regions, nor would this be practical or affordable for us to do. We have only announced Netherlands and PNW at this stage and we are planning further landclass based regions in North America as well.

As a growing company it is logical and important for us to experiment with different technology and product styles and take the risk on whether it will sell well or not. We are confident that Netherlands Photoreal will be a unique and wonderful experience and be very popular.

2 hours ago, Spacey said:

Hi JV,

Apologies if its been addressed and l missed it. To keep it short, can l please ask:

1. Are any parts of Australia freeware to allow this to be done to Australia, or parts of Australia.

2. If yes, does Orbx consider Australia or parts of it to be  a viable financial option.

3, If yes to the above two, will Orbx be looking/considering Australia some time in the future.

Just yes or no’s would be fine to the questions as l understand how busy you are.

Anthony

No, Australia is too large to even consider making it photoreal. However we are working on large photoreal areas similar to CityScape Canberra, the first of these being CityScape Gold Coast and obviously we’ll look into other major metro areas as well.

14 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Hi Michael, let me allay your fears. Flying from landclass-based Germany South into photoreal Netherlands will be a seamless experience and you will be hard pressed to find the boundary. This is because Netherlands is colour matched to the FTX texture palette and uses the exact same trees, buildings and 3D objects as Germany. The seasons are also identical in colour. The only difference will be the roads in Germany are laid over the LC textures compared to the roads in the Netherlands being photoreal.

Thanks, I'll certainly give it a chance and see how it works, even more as it borders to Germany and as a GA flyer I *love* connected regions. Color-matching is indeed an important point, most (albeit not all) Photo sceneries I've seen are too dark in comparison to the ORBX textures.

Kind regards, Michael

53 minutes ago, pmb said:

most (albeit not all) Photo sceneries I've seen are too dark in comparison to the ORBX textures.

Well, frankly, imho most if photo sceneries suck. And, if I may say so, that also goes for parts of the default AFS2 scenery which in some places looks really ugly. HOWEVER, when I looked at the screenshots of FTX Netherlands I could see already how great the colors are and that they are indeed 'in sync' with the Orbx landclass scenery. I always liked the colors of Orbx scenery more than any other addon scenery and hence I also love the consistency they show! I am very happy to see FTX Netherlands, even though it is completely photoreal, will be no exception!

I have spend literally years in PNW alone (bought it on release day) and switched to FTX Norway (again, on release day) after that. I do own a list of other regions but I hardly flew there. So getting the Netherlands as well as PNW in AFS2 will be a dream come true for me and will give me enough scenery to fly over for years again. I do understand the wish for "a slightly more geomorphically interesting place" when it comes to the Netherlands but since I live there I am very happy with it. (I don't think I could stand landclass scenery for a place I really know well.)

5 hours ago, Spacey said:

Hi JV,

Anthony

Please , ask in another thread. This is all about FTX Netherlands  ! :) 

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Well, frankly, imho most if photo sceneries suck. And, if I may say so, that also goes for parts of the default AFS2 scenery which in some places looks really ugly. HOWEVER, when I looked at the screenshots of FTX Netherlands I could see already how great the colors are and that they are indeed 'in sync' with the Orbx landclass scenery. I always liked the colors of Orbx scenery more than any other addon scenery and hence I also love the consistency they show! I am very happy to see FTX Netherlands, even though it is completely photoreal, will be no exception!

I have spend literally years in PNW alone (bought it on release day) and switched to FTX Norway (again, on release day) after that. I do own a list of other regions but I hardly flew there. So getting the Netherlands as well as PNW in AFS2 will be a dream come true for me and will give me enough scenery to fly over for years again. I do understand the wish for "a slightly more geomorphically interesting place" when it comes to the Netherlands but since I live there I am very happy with it. (I don't think I could stand landclass scenery for a place I really know well.)

FTX Netherlands might be in sync with FTX Global and FTX Germany , which I own both, but in autumn and winter it never looks se brown. There is still green grass, just a little darker.

Therefore I have renamed all summer textures to autumn and winter too and now it is looking far more real. P3D/FSX already makes the ground less bright and less saturated in those seasons.

And hard winter can be the same...

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Therefore I have renamed all summer textures to autumn and winter too and now it is looking far more real.

Clever idea. But well, in AFS2 we don't have this problem: it's always summer in that sim. Including the weather. (As far as you can call it weather...)

11 minutes ago, J van E said:

Clever idea. But well, in AFS2 we don't have this problem: it's always summer in that sim. Including the weather. (As far as you can call it weather...)

I want that too here ( Netherlands ) in real life.

Mo - Fr  22 degrees Celsius 

Sa - Su  25/26 degrees Celcius

Always fair weather :D

20 hours ago, John Venema said:

No, Australia is too large to even consider making it photoreal. However we are working on large photoreal areas similar to CityScape Canberra, the first of these being CityScape Gold Coast and obviously we’ll look into other major metro areas as well.

Thanks JV for the answer. Answer greatly appreciated,  and  understand.   I guess our landmass and small population to limited areas will always be against us for such a project.  Would have been great practicing navs before a real flight though.  But looking forward to the Netherlands. Thanks again.

Some more progress alpha shots. We are aiming to be in beta by mid February.

NOTE: The ground textures are in low resolution during the alpha phase, the final imagery will be lovely and crisp 1m/pixel imagery.

RwoAlQ.jpg

fhluHr.jpg

brp58g.jpg

AjRLEs.jpg

ogMZMI.jpg

VBQ8fx.jpg

B3CvSp.jpg

Here's an example of the seamless transition between landclass based scenery (OLC_EU, FTX GES, GEN) and Netherlands.

Y8WgIM.jpg

c41us3.jpg

Archived