Who is leaving

aero-3fsx

Leaving FSX behind I mean

Now that Dovetail have released their new 64bit sim who is going to upgrade

Granted it may take a short while to improve it but there is X-Plane & P3D V4 as alternatives

I jumped up to P3D some years ago but since we know FSX as is will not be improved and there are excellent alternatives, I was wondering if anyone is planning on staying with FSX say by the start of next year?

Everyone has reasons for what they do but with 64bit huge leaps will be made with addons over the next year

Mathijc Kok from Aerosoft even feels that P3D v3 will become a dinosaur within a few months as he believes P3D v4 is way better

[Admin: moved to general discussion section, not orbx product support issue, please respect the support forums rules]

I fly on line three times per week and my fellow pilots are all going to change within the next 6 - 12 months to what ever gets the best support from Orbx. This would appear to be P3D V4, not because it may be or not be a better sim than AF2, we just do not know, but because we understand that more P3D V3 product (therefore all Orbx product) will be available in V4 sooner than AF2. If this is not correct then please Orbx staff correct me...not a challenge...I really need to know if I am correct or not:)

For me, I wait until the platforms are stable and then I make a choice which direction I go; P3D or FSW or FS2.

But... maybe I stick with FSX for a while since the new 64-bit sims do not impress me that much as of now. That can (and will) change in the future.

I potter in V3 with the A2A birds, but my main sim is still FSX Accel.  It's not that I don't want to head to V4, because I want to fly PMDG birds between big payware airports or the Cherokee around the Orbx Seattle/San Juan area airfields without as much chance of OOMs.  But I can't drop that kind of coin on it in one hit any more.  When I do get to V4, V3 will go but FSX will stay for now.  It sits on its own drive, not bothering any one.  It has planes I really like to fly, such as the J41, MD11 and DC9.  I'll get there on V4, but the transition will take time.

I'll tinker in FSW, but probably not a lot.  AF2 looks really pretty, but I can't justify the expense.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

It looks like I will be staying with FSXSE because I cannot afford to improve my PC , so I will stay with FSX until I can get more for less .

Some are reporting that P3D v4 is getting much higher frame rates than v3 because the 4Gb limit on RAM is gone

SSDs are so cheap now, getting a 256Gb for the sim would make a difference either way and can be used on your next computer too

So far I am not that impress with V4, same whole story as FSX without the OOM. And I don't have any FPS hungry big boy installed yet .

It's fine over regions/global but as soon as your getting close to the ground, or airport FPS start degrading.

So it look like my old 2600K OC @ 4.4ghz is not enough if you want the sliders to the right and see the goodies.

I have decided to re-install FSX because I'm missing to many planes and helicopter.

Ben

I have a new SSD drive in front of me,ready to be installed and dedicated to P3Dv4.

I intend to use it for GA's such as A2A's offering and fly the tubeliners in FSX.

I have a fondness for FSX as mine,anyway,loads quickly,is stable and is not prone to OOMS.The VAS usage counter helps here,of course.

I still have the FS2004 and FSX boxes in an honorary spot in my bookshelf, ready for a sentimental journey if needed :-)

However...

I switched to P3DV3 on day one and am now on V4 since day one, as I value immersion and extreme detail in the cockpit, the sky, and on the airport. This always gave me problems in FSX both with memory and performance. I can't even begin to count the hours I spent tuning, testing and re-tuning the system, trying to fix stutters, CTDs and OOMs, preventing me to FLY the darn plane. I am sure I tell the story of countless other simmers here.... ;-)

When the well matured P3DV3 came out I bought a new high end (for the time) GTX card and went for the future = ditched FSX.

Although still missing one or two old planes in FSX I don't regret the switch for a second.

The immersion factor is incredibly greater in a modern, supported and constantly evolving platform. The clouds, memory management, lighting, shadows, texture crispness, improved flight models, stability, performance.... plus the good attention from add-on makers like ORBX...

And now with V4, no worries on OOM and some nice performance improvements and lighting goodies...and there is STILL quite some backwards compatibility to old freeware stuff, like my cherished FSX ship traffic along the coasts, which was such a wonderful surprise.

That said, I will always appreciate FSX and FS2004 as the platforms that helped me to gain a real understanding and appreciation for flying and that unlocked the secrets to real GA flying. That will ALWAYS be there.

Left FSX back in 2013 for P3D and that was a good decision. It allowed me to ramp up to upgrading my system over the past 3.5 years, as well as purchase P3D versions of add-ons such as PMDG, Active Sky, A2A.

The thing some FSX users face, due to staying on FSX is replacing FSX-only versions of add-ons with having to purchase P3D versions with some products as stated above or just doing without.

Secondly, many FSX users will wish to upgrade their systems to take advantage of the modern flight sim platform that utilizes multiple cores, high-end GPU's, and larger amounts of RAM significantly better, and that can be expensive.

I am sure there will be some holdouts for FSX, just like there are for Microsoft's FS 2004, but most will eventually move to Lockheed Martin's product as FSX will take its place in flight sim history and Lockheed Martin continues to evolve its simulation platform. I still fire up FSX from time to time and it is apparent how far we have come.

After a new hefty system build, I have a very smooth running FSX:SE.  Being able to now push the sim, I inevitably ran into OOM's.  However, making the move to DX10 preview with Steve's fixer, I am actually in really good shape, and so far with tempering myself have managed to avoid OOM's.  I have great visuals, cloud shadows, and an overall very smooth experience.  I really am in no hurry to move anymore.

For people who want to keep legacies from FS9/FSX, v3 keeps doing the job very smoothly. So you can have both v3 and v4 on the same machine to enjoy flight simulation

I was with FSX since the start. However, too many OOMs and VAS issues I went to XP11 but with further study moved to P3D v4 since most of the add-ons (so far scenery, waiting on aircraft) for FSX works with P3D; its a cost effective and logical choice. 

For about the eleventh time... I'll be leaving again.:o

SubLogic

MS Flight Simulator 5.0

MS Flight Simulator 5.1

MS Flight Simulator for Windows 95

MS Flight Simulator 98

MS Flight Simulator 2000

MS Flight Simulator 2002

MS Flight Simulator 2004

MS Flight Simulator X

Prepar3D 1

Prepar3D 2

Prepar3D 3 after Orbx delivers all the goods for V4.:)

I have mostly left the 32 bit sims behind, now flying all of the big four in 64 bit glory.  P3D V4 and FSW still have flat airports, not particularly realistic if your main goal is flight training, and using high resolution mesh  makes the elevation errors more apparent.  P3D V4 still uses the FSX airport database, so KCVH (Hollister California Municipal Airport) is still not correct and the AWOS for Hollister is not available.  The other three have KCVH in the airport database and probably other airports updated.  I do not fly large aircraft or airliners much in the sims, so accurate small and medium size airports are more important to me.  I can report P3D V4 looks very good, the installation of all the available Orbx products was easy and the Orbx enhanced airports in the regions are there to use while waiting for the individual Orbx airports to be ported to V4.  All four sims are in constant development, will be interesting to see them mature.

14 hours ago, aero-3fsx said:

Leaving FSX behind I mean

Dont like the question as we flightsimmers are allways on the move, see the video below:

Today i use my HTC Vive for the best simulated flying expirience, ...BUT i still like to start flightsimulator 95 where you can build you own airplanes an testfligt it, not possible today.

I moved onto Prepar3d v4 and removed FSX.

Waiting for the migration of all my add on scenery from different developers and patching of planes to v4  is requiring a lot of patience.Every five minutes basically checking different developer forums to see how updates are going and if anything is ready to add to v4.

To Chill I flew from Nice Cote D'Azur to Ibiza yesterday.There's nothing like being in the sun and having a Pernod on the rocks with some ice water on the side.Nice to have this virtual world at times.

On 10/06/2017 at 0:21 AM, Nedo said:

BUT i still like to start flightsimulator 95 where you can build you own airplanes an testfligt it, not possible today.

I remember buying FS5 and being totally unimpressed with the lack of photoreal OrbX quality textures

I paid over $100 and used it only a few times leaving it till FS95 came out

I just love realism hence now flying only with a VR headset

After having added Matt Davies PTA on Friday, my P3D V4 just took another leap forward with realism

1 hour ago, aero-3fsx said:

After having added Matt Davies PTA on Friday, my P3D V4 just took another leap forward with realism

hi aero, i didnt knew about PTA before, just found it and installed for P3D4 ! :-D

I use the standard MattDavies_v1.ini, have to test this app more, looks really great!

On 9.6.2017 at 9:18 PM, Anthin Delahunt said:

Sticking with FSX Gold.It runs smooth and I don't want to get rid of all my freeware aircraft.I use Steve's fixer and with cloud shadows, it looks great.

Anthin.

I feel myself in the same situation. A bit like "never change a running system".

18 hours ago, RHaas said:

I will make the jump eventually. Maybe by end of year or beginning of next. I'm in no big rush but it will happen.

On 9.6.2017 at 10:55 AM, bvdboomen said:

For me, I wait until the platforms are stable and then I make a choice which direction I go; P3D or FSW or FS2.

But... maybe I stick with FSX for a while since the new 64-bit sims do not impress me that much as of now. That can (and will) change in the future.

That is exactly my thinking. A relaxed view on the developments, optimisitc to enjoy the improvements soon.

4 hours ago, Nedo said:

hi aero, i didnt knew about PTA before, just found it and installed for P3D4 ! :-D

I use the standard MattDavies_v1.ini, have to test this app more, looks really great!

I only noticed a thread by John Venema last week where he mentioned it

After seeing the video I bought it straight away

PTA has the potential to totally transform P3D v3 & v4

I have been playing with the settings to see some surprising effects

And virtually no hit on frame rates as its almost all shaders

An automatic backup of all default shaders is made when you install the app

3 hours ago, Venturi said:

To many conflicting reports on performance on v4.

No hurry for me I have fsx se purring. I say 2 years when all the devs have crossed over and the platform is stable.

Almost all reports related to performance indicate a noticeable boost with v4 over v3. I fired up FSX, as I do from time to time to fly some planes that have not made it over to p3d and I got much better performance in v4 Seattle than FSX Seattle, and that was with a whole lot more functionality turned on in v4. 

One thing to consider regarding continuing with FSX is one may continue to purchase FSX-Only addons, such as PMDG, Active Sky, A2A, etc. and when eventually that person is really compelled to move to P3D, the proposition becomes more expensive. I would hate to buy an FSX-only 747 for $135 and then a few months or a year later realize that P3D is really the way to go. That would be $135 wasted. P3D is the way forward. FSX is sunsetting naturally in the flight sim community. 

Almost all reports related to performance indicate a noticeable boost with v4 over v3. I fired up FSX, as I do from time to time to fly some planes that have not made it over to p3d and I got much better performance in v4 Seattle than FSX Seattle, and that was with a whole lot more functionality turned on in v4. 

One thing to consider regarding continuing with FSX is one may continue to purchase FSX-Only addons, such as PMDG, Active Sky, A2A, etc. and when eventually that person is really compelled to move to P3D, the proposition becomes more expensive. I would hate to buy an FSX-only 747 for $135 and then a few months or a year later realize that P3D is really the way to go. That would be $135 wasted. P3D is the way forward. FSX is sunsetting naturally in the flight sim community. 

Good points. I'm holding off purchasing pmdg 747 for that reason however I have everything else already.

I don't know if you visit that other high traffic forum but there are loads of problems v4 even with the 1080ti. There are a dozen threads and a ton of posts saying v3 was better on frames for the same settings

I agree without doubt v4 64bit is the way forward. I will wait until everything is compatible no hurry [emoji5]

Which is why, Mike707, that you purchase addons that are compatible with future development.  And, that is a pure assumption that everyone will want to move to P3D.  That may or may not be the case with all individuals.  Some may choose to continue their personal growth on a different platform.  P3D isn't the sole way forward, rather 64 bit is as a whole, and there are many participants in the race.  P3D is not the end all be all as everyone is many are making it sound.  If it suits you, wonderful, but it isn't a reflection of everyone else's direction. 

1 hour ago, medx421 said:

Which is why, Mike707, that you purchase addons that are compatible with future development.  And, that is a pure assumption that everyone will want to move to P3D.  That may or may not be the case with all individuals.  Some may choose to continue their personal growth on a different platform.  P3D isn't the sole way forward, rather 64 bit is as a whole, and there are many participants in the race.  P3D is not the end all be all as everyone is many are making it sound.  If it suits you, wonderful, but it isn't a reflection of everyone else's direction. 

Yeah, I am not saying everyone should move to P3D. Honestly, I don't care what people do with their fs choices. Just trying to be helpful to let people know of potential issues. If someone wants xplane, or FSW, or FS9, or learn to play guitar, whatever, I don't care. 

8 hours ago, medx421 said:

Which is why, Mike707, that you purchase addons that are compatible with future development.

So, become a psychic then?  How do you know which current addons will be compatible with future development?

I mostly fly P3D V3 (yes, call me old fashioned) and have for some time now.  I am completely happy with that setup, and it has taken quite a bit of time and quite a few GBs (TBs!) of downloading to get to that point.  I also fly Aerofly FS2 occasionally, and for my combat simming I use DCS World.

However, I do keep a copy of FSX (now Steam Edition) installed because I have quite a few addons purchased just a few years ago which are only compatible with that sim.  They were not $135 addons, but they were a good percentage of that, and there are a number of them.  While a large number of FSX addons can be installed in to P3D, not all of them can be.  I am honestly in no rush to jump over to V4, as I have only ever had 2 OOMs in P3D V3, and that sim's performance is good and stable.  I also jumped from P3D V2 to V3 with very little use from V2 and saw that as a total waste.   Apart from that, up until a few weeks before the V4 release I was still downloading updates to make certain aircraft compatible with the current updated version of P3D V3, as each incremental update managed to "break" certain addons.  So maybe I'm a bit sceptical about the way LM do things :D.

ATM I am finally just enjoying FLYING in my simulators, and I want to keep it that way for a while before I even think of becoming a data library technician for a hobby again.

I may just wait for P3D V5 and skip V4 altogether.

This is just the road that I am taking.  Call me old fashioned.

On 6/9/2017 at 8:10 AM, Benny said:

I have decided to re-install FSX because I'm missing to many planes and helicopter.

Hi Benny

I copied my FSX Airplane folders from the FSX/Sim Objects/Airplanes folder into my P3Dv4 /Sim Objects/Airplanes/ folder and most of them worked.

i just deleted the ones that didn't work.

6 hours ago, scottharmes6 said:

This is just the road that I am taking.  Call me old fashioned.

No need to call yourself old fashioned

If after 6 months you see that addons for v4 are exceptional then you can decide to switch over

OrbX have said they are making new tech to take advantage of 64bit

In my case, I've been with FSX since it came to light. I never thought leaving it, not even when P3D came out, as it continued to be 32 bit, and with all the catalog of tweeks for FSX, I was sort of OK with my computer. I have an i7-2600 system with 12 GB DDR3 RAM and an nVidia card of 3GB of shared vram (GT-440 OEM) leaving me a clean 9GB of RAM system.

After buying a lot of addons through the years (a lot of Orbx included), my computer started with the dreaded OOM's.

Now that I can afford upgrading my system, I am about to receive an EVGA NVidia GTX 1060 6GB SC video card and an extra 4 GB DDR3 RAM card to add to my rig, totaling 16 GB of RAM.

So I'm officially jumping into P3D v4 when I receive the new hardware! :)

Do you think it's a good upgrade to jump to P3D v4?

Blue skies to all!

2 hours ago, Vee One said:

Do you think it's a good upgrade to jump to P3D v4?

Most definitely as its the future for the next couple of years

OrbX & others will bring out new things that will take full advantage of the much greater headroom that 64bit has

Archived