Who is leaving

aero-3fsx

2 hours ago, aero-3fsx said:

Most definitely as its the future for the next couple of years

OrbX & others will bring out new things that will take full advantage of the much greater headroom that 64bit has

Thanks aero. Do you think my hardware upgrade will be good enough? I usually fly PMDG and other heavies in big airports. I plan to use normal HD textures.

"we understand that more P3D V3 product (therefore all Orbx product) will be available in V4 sooner than AF2. If this is not correct then please Orbx staff correct me...not a challenge...I really need to know if I am correct or not:)"

I know that I appeared to only asked for confirmation if this is not correct, but can I be a nuisance and ask Orbx staff to confirm this understanding (or not).

Cheers  Dan

8 hours ago, Vee One said:

Thanks aero. Do you think my hardware upgrade will be good enough? I usually fly PMDG and other heavies in big airports. I plan to use normal HD textures.

I suggest you get P3D v4 & first see how it runs on your hardware

Honestly though I think your graphics card may need an upgrade

I highly recommend trying VR for flying as JV says the immersion is unbeatable

It is possible to use Samsungs GearVR if you have a Samsung phone & are on a tight budget

I have the Oculus Rift & will not fly with a flat screen again

Ditched FS9 the day FSX came out, ditched FSX the day P3D.v1 came out, ditched v2, when v3 came out and now ditched v3. V4 is so much better.

The reason i will tend to stick with P3D is that all my extensive FTX addons will be compatible and therefore no additional funds or expense will be required to enjoy my existing collection. The only expense will be new FTX addons. I also have AF2 which is totally different and less detailed at the moment but to enhance it will cost money on addons I already have, despite the discount. I personally would like to save that money to spend on new FTX addons. 

As you can see I am not one that stays with the old.

2 hours ago, J van E said:

I left FSX years ago and I left FSX-based sims last year. After a short affair with XP11 I am now in love with Aerofly FS 2. And I am happily awaiting all the goodies that Orbx will be releasing for it. :) 

I wish you have many hours or flying and exploring every little corner of Innsbruck. I have driven through it countless times but only been in the city centre itself about 2 times

Oh and of course you have Chicago too. You can always have P3D v4 on the side for other locations

Norway is too beautiful to give up for anything, right

1 hour ago, aero-3fsx said:

Norway is too beautiful to give up for anything, right

Well, yes, it is, but I did so anyway: I am totally done with landclass scenery. Can't stand it anymore. Not that bare photoreal is so much better but at least it shows what's actually down there better. And zero repetition. But Orbx photoreal scenery will be it, I think, for quite some years to come so things are looking good as far as I am concerned. (And by 'Orbx photoreal scenery' I don't only mainly the airports but specially the announced photoreal regions.)

57 minutes ago, alcliff said:

If Orbx does not handle this - others will. Just wait and see.

Let's hope so. A photoreal Norway with detailed 3D stuff on it... I'll buy it. (I tried to get something like that done in XP11 but it was too much trouble and the available sources were all bad... Besides, I like to fly over scenery, not create it. ;) )

16 hours ago, Vee One said:

Hi, your missing the K at the end of your 2600 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yesterday I did that, reinstalled my GTX 590 (for fun), and I see a difference in V4, in denser area.  But the 590 was a monster.

Ben

I left FSX the day P3Dv1 came out and like others, have been upgrading over the three years it has been out.  I too have a 2600K overclocked to the max using a water cooled chip.  That with a 970 video card is still working very well.  Look at the specs, the 2600k isn't all that far behind.  Depending on what you expect an upgrade in the video card might be my next improvement.  

There is no doubt that improvement costs money.  In the computer industry, more than 6 months is obsolete so each of us has to make a decision of how obsolete we are.  And, how much do you value your hobby equates to how much you are willing to spend on it.  I can think of a lot of hobbies that cost far more....Now then if flying is just fun and you don't do any flight planning, you don't start cold and dark, you aren't interested learning about navigation and you are happy with what you have.....don't change.  For me Its V4 all the way.  ORBX has already said that V4 is the premier FS and that AFS22 is a casual FS.  

I have to say the right sim for you is the only you like......and there is no doubt that V4 is on top of the heap, but if you don't see it, or are happy with what you have, then don't change...Simple as that.

Henry

I must say I am bemused a bit by this. I really can't seem to think of another gaming genre where people feel the need to swear undying loyalty to one thing or another.

Racing simulation fans have several choices, and usually have a variety of titles they like. Trainsim fans have multiple options and many people will have more than one on their collection: Run8 and DTG trainsim, for example.

Examples abound, yet again and again I come across threads in flight simulation fora where the main conceit seems to be the idea that there can be only one sim in a person's library, and that said sim is apparently a lifelong commitment akin to marriage. :blink:

I dont think its HD space: large drives are all too common.

Often money is mentioned, but how expensive is it, really? For myself, I could only see it as a serious issue if I was purchasing at a pace that was already straining my finances, and if that's the case, well..... is there a simmers anonymous? :lol:

Very curious!

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

well..... is there a simmers anonymous? :lol:

Who wants simmers anon, we all need to have something to escape reality with "hehe" but therein lies danger

OrbX is moving unstoppably towards ever more realistic scenery which will mean we will have to find an escape from this new escape

This is of course compounded if like me and others you use VR to explore the world of flight simming

OrbX is driven to innovate & foster new talent all for our benefit so lets take advantage of it whatever sim we fly in

OK....I need to eat my words.  After much deliberation, and finding some spare HD space, I am about to purchase P3D V4.  There seem to be many more benefits than those I was originally aware of, so I really want to check it out.

I will probably hang on to P3D V3 and FSX (and Aerofly FS2 and DCS World).  You can never have too much choice after all.  Problem is the time you need to make use of those choices :rolleyes:.

On 6/13/2017 at 5:06 PM, Vee One said:

Your video card will not be good enough. If you are going to move to P3D, I would strongly recommend a GTX1060 or 1070. That will make you happy.

I must say I am bemused a bit by this. I really can't seem to think of another gaming genre where people feel the need to swear undying loyalty to one thing or another.

Racing simulation fans have several choices, and usually have a variety of titles they like. Trainsim fans have multiple options and many people will have more than one on their collection: Run8 and DTG trainsim, for example.

Examples abound, yet again and again I come across threads in flight simulation fora where the main conceit seems to be the idea that there can be only one sim in a person's library, and that said sim is apparently a lifelong commitment akin to marriage. :blink:

I dont think its HD space: large drives are all too common.

Often money is mentioned, but how expensive is it, really? For myself, I could only see it as a serious issue if I was purchasing at a pace that was already straining my finances, and if that's the case, well..... is there a simmers anonymous? [emoji38]

Very curious!

I don't own racing sims but don't they come complete eg no further add ons?

I think because of the enormous cost in building each flight sim platform is the reason simmers tend to stick to one.

When I do eventually go from fsx se to v4 it's gonna be expensive especially re purchasing the pmdg range and quite a few others.

If I go xplane I have to start from scratch again and then there are a few more other sims there..

43 minutes ago, Venturi said:

I think because of the enormous cost in building each flight sim platform is the reason simmers tend to stick to one.

That is indeed one reason but another one that's more important to me is that I don't like, how shall I say this, various realities. When I switch between sims things can look very different and things also can handle very different. The way things work, options, screens, lighting, view, depth, feel, perspective... I like one sim to be 'my' reality and using various sims sort of kills that immersion: I have to keep thinking 'O, I am using this sim now so here I have to do this to get that done' while I like to think 'I am flying'. Also, when switching between sims I have a tendency to focus on differences: 'O, yes, in this sim the scenery looks dull and life lifeless' or 'Hm, in this sim the sky sucks compared to the other one' or 'I wish this sim had this or that from that sim'. It's just what I think and I can't help it. ;) I don't want to notice I am using a different sim, I just want to fly and think 'This is real' and the only solution for me is to use just one sim. ;) 

It's a bit hard to explain... ;) 

The only other sim I have and for many years is the 64bit digital combat world study sim. Flying the warthog is extremely complex with a level of knowledge far exceeding pmdg after all you still need to navigate, land via ILS and fly on instruments but your trying not to get killed at the same time plus being able to learn how to use the different weapon systems effectively.

But when I enter that sim it's exciting because it's not just another sim like fsx or P3D and xplane which are basically the same concept, similar planes so why would I want those 3 platforms on my pc?
One civil aviation sim is enough

2 hours ago, Mike707 said:

Your video card will not be good enough. If you are going to move to P3D, I would strongly recommend a GTX1060 or 1070. That will make you happy.

On 13/6/2017 at 6:33 PM, Vee One said:

In my case, I've been with FSX since it came to light. I never thought leaving it, not even when P3D came out, as it continued to be 32 bit, and with all the catalog of tweeks for FSX, I was sort of OK with my computer. I have an i7-2600 system with 12 GB DDR3 RAM and an nVidia card of 3GB of shared vram (GT-440 OEM) leaving me a clean 9GB of RAM system.

After buying a lot of addons through the years (a lot of Orbx included), my computer started with the dreaded OOM's.

Now that I can afford upgrading my system, I am about to receive an EVGA NVidia GTX 1060 6GB SC video card and an extra 4 GB DDR3 RAM card to add to my rig, totaling 16 GB of RAM.

So I'm officially jumping into P3D v4 when I receive the new hardware! :)

Do you think it's a good upgrade to jump to P3D v4?

Blue skies to all!

Thanks Mike. As I mentioned before, as you can see above in bold type, I am about to receive an EVGA GTX1060. My question was if with the incoming GTX would it be enough. Thanks anyway for confirming it! B)

Blue skies!

Andreu

Archived