Prepar3D V4 - 64bit! Orbx preview 4K screenshots

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

" Including 3D trees"  stated in the LM site. Are these Orbx or will the default 3D trees make FTX HD Trees redundant?

You can switch between the old trees (orbx trees) or the new speed trees in settings. The speed trees are not as dense and have a hit on fps.

26 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

" Including 3D trees"  stated in the LM site. Are these Orbx or will the default 3D trees make FTX HD Trees redundant?

Following is a 3D speed tree - modeled 3d trunk and branches. Default trees, Orbx trees, even Orbx HD trees, are just 2D cards intersecting one another.

I suppose you can turn off the 2D trees and use 3d speed trees, but they will be less dense and hit the performance. Orbx HD trees will be an upgraded 2D tree, just like it is now.

hqdefault.jpg

Hello John,

Been reading the news and just like everyone else I am excited at the new change. I to have a lot invested in Orbx Products, as well as aircraft, and will always support Orbx and the team. Always something new to get us Sim Pilots excited.

Thank you John for the news, and also a big thank you to the team.

Regards

Sam

since you guys already mentioned trees, can you tell if trees will now and finally be reduced to realistic sizes in v4? We had these gigantic trees long enough now, hope to see some improvement there...

16 minutes ago, Jrbaird19 said:

Hello John 

Will the new LOD  allow us to see FTX GLOBAL LIGHTS farther in the distance say 10-15 miles out?

jeff

Yes of course. You can now see autogen, lights and crisp terrain much further than ever before. This is due to enhancements to the engine based on much greater access to larger amounts of memory that 64-bit has provided.

You will see some sliders have higher settings as discussed in Elaine's topic, and of course the new TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 parameter in the cfg file.

Be aware though, you will want a fast SSD, a GPU with lots of RAM and about 16GB of main system memory to realise this potential, and a beefy CPU to keep FPS high.

JV and Orbx team, this is directed to you. Thank you. When P3Dv1 came out, you saw its potential and backed LM as one of the most earlier adopters of the platform. For other developers we had to beg for them to look at it. It seemed like a Mexican standoff at times with LM saying to developers, buy the developers monthly subscription we are not giving out free issues and the 3rd party developers saying we dont play that way, we have FSX going for us so we have no care to switch.

I look at my Facebook home page today and see how things have changed with such a great Co-Op between LM and the 3rd party developers and how so many major addon developers were not only on the beta team but also, once again, following Orbx (who went on record a long time ago) with stating free upgrades to V4 in a way that makes one think, the developers feel their hands have been untied. That not only do they have the tools and platform to finally do some of the things that have been on their personal wishlist but also the way LM has worked with them in the Beta process to help out in making v4 work as best as it can with them and their request.

That these developers now see how they want to quickly leave FSX and P3Dv3 and move everyone into v4 so they can focus all their attention and support in building the best sim possible. So Thank You for being a leader in the industry on so many levels and all the great support you and your team provide both directly and indirectly....it does get noticed. 

I did a happy dance, grabbed my wife by the waist and did the jitterbug while humming happily grinning ear to easr, and the in-laws think I am crazy for sure now.

I went to the main house, did the above, and just as quickly disappeared back out here to the cabin, leaving them wondering.

Hi John.

Thanks for for your quick response. 6700k @4.6 and 32GB and a just delivered overclocked 1080ti with 11GB Should do the trick

Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the boys again in Hartford 

jeff

Everything is clickable in VR natively now.

Thanks!  That is great news! 

Do you know if they have made any moves as far as trying to take advantage of multi-core processors (i.e. off loading AI or other processes to a different thread).  Thanks for these tidbits of insight :-)

Very good news but if it was not written P3D V4 in the title i would not have made the difference with P3D V3.My only visual disappointment it is not to see a new big engine with global natural lighting by default something like DCS or XPL.Natural lighting transforms your simulator in reality ( so important...). But all the visual innovations remain to come from outside normally.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and this is looking very exciting

In all of this I am wondering if I have missed mention of when orbx might be ready to release their buildings HD project too and how it will look in P3d v4?

7 hours ago, John Venema said:

No, the dynamic lights are limited to 256 sources per scene and at altitude you can potentially see up to 50,000 3D light points with our lighting system which would cripple the sim if they were dynamic.

What you WILL see is the new dynamic lighting being added to new airport projects which will likely include street lighting close to the airport. It's up to each developer to patch existing Orbx airports to add dynamic lighting but don't count on that happening soon.

Only 256 sources? How is this limit not there in x plane? Every single street light casts a pool of light around it and the whole city is lit up at night in x plane.. I hope P3D will optimize dynamic lighting further.. Still a long way to go to catch up with x plane.. 

JV initially said that some FTX products would not work straight away and would need some coding changes. I would be interested to know if Orbx would be good enough to enlighten us on which particular addons will not work until coding is completed down the line. I can think of DLL related aspects like Objectflow and PeopleFlow, but are we also referring to some Scenery addons? I am asking because it was also confirmed that we could "copy" our current Orbx folder into v4 rather than reinstalling and I am concerned that they may be elements within the current Orbx folders that may cause errors in v4 and prevent it from starting up. If they did it would require a lot of investigating by the user to determine which elements needed to be removed from the "copy".

I would also think that a process for ensuring the "copied" folder is recognised and that the installation is formalised would be helpful. My thinking is that we could copy our current Orbx folder into v4 then open up Central 3 ( the revised one due to come out shortly I assume) and that Central would do the business in activating and placing the content of the copied folder into v4 scenery library.

I am very excited about this new v4 and especially that the fine Orbx addons that many of us have purchased over the years are not redundant.

I have to personally thank JV and his Orbx team for the extremely generous offer to us all for the "no charge" in implementing all our current addons from Orbx into v4. To me, this is the most attractive aspect of v4 and of course the aspect that it is 64 Bit and thus eliminated the VAS issue ( until we get the first report of someone experiencing their first ping !)

In conclusion i do hope that Orbx give us some detailed installation advice and also high light the addons/aspects that will require further coding so we are all aware of them.

Many thanks JV and his team. You are the best by far. I would also like to echo Kilstorm's comments regarding how Orbx wa svery quick to conatct LM in the early days and how subsequently they worked together to achieve what we are about to experience in 6 days time.

8 hours ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

Very impressive. Orbx always does amazing work and I love all their products I own. As I am a FSX user, will I have to purchase my Orbx products again if I make the switch to P3Dv4? 

No you won't have to purchase them again, just run FTX Central once the V4 patch is out and download Orbx products which will work from the OrbxDirect servers

7 hours ago, Jbaran said:

Thanks to everyone for your comments and this is looking very exciting

In all of this I am wondering if I have missed mention of when orbx might be ready to release their buildings HD project too and how it will look in P3d v4?

Buildngs HD is currently on hold since Scott Armstrong does not have time to complete it due to his real job as a pilot.

4 hours ago, skydivemayday said:

Hoping for a "plane is cold and dark" starting option as opposed to the engines running.

Didn't appear to be an option on the options screens posted :/

That ability is completely up to the aircraft developer, it has nothing to do with the sim. I am sure all the A2A aircraft will support cold and dark.

4 hours ago, vin747 said:

Only 256 sources? How is this limit not there in x plane? Every single street light casts a pool of light around it and the whole city is lit up at night in x plane.. I hope P3D will optimize dynamic lighting further.. Still a long way to go to catch up with x plane.. 

Perhaps LM have many plans for P3D we don't know about yet? Too many X-Plane defenders popping up on every forum these days, please just go and enjoy it if it's your sim of choice.

2 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

JV initially said that some FTX products would not work straight away and would need some coding changes. I would be interested to know if Orbx would be good enough to enlighten us on which particular addons will not work until coding is completed down the line. I can think of DLL related aspects like Objectflow and PeopleFlow, but are we also referring to some Scenery addons? I am asking because it was also confirmed that we could "copy" our current Orbx folder into v4 rather than reinstalling and I am concerned that they may be elements within the current Orbx folders that may cause errors in v4 and prevent it from starting up. If they did it would require a lot of investigating by the user to determine which elements needed to be removed from the "copy".

I would also think that a process for ensuring the "copied" folder is recognised and that the installation is formalised would be helpful. My thinking is that we could copy our current Orbx folder into v4 then open up Central 3 ( the revised one due to come out shortly I assume) and that Central would do the business in activating and placing the content of the copied folder into v4 scenery library.

I am very excited about this new v4 and especially that the fine Orbx addons that many of us have purchased over the years are not redundant.

I have to personally thank JV and his Orbx team for the extremely generous offer to us all for the "no charge" in implementing all our current addons from Orbx into v4. To me, this is the most attractive aspect of v4 and of course the aspect that it is 64 Bit and thus eliminated the VAS issue ( until we get the first report of someone experiencing their first ping !)

In conclusion i do hope that Orbx give us some detailed installation advice and also high light the addons/aspects that will require further coding so we are all aware of them.

Many thanks JV and his team. You are the best by far. I would also like to echo Kilstorm's comments regarding how Orbx wa svery quick to conatct LM in the early days and how subsequently they worked together to achieve what we are about to experience in 6 days time.

I will publish a list in the coming days of what works, but it can be summarised as follows:

Every Orbx product will rely on a new version of FTX Central to be released.

When it is, FTX Global, openLC, TreesHD and all FTX regions will work out of the box.

All older airports which don't use ObjectFlow will also work (i.e KORS, Darrington, Concrete, YSTW, etc).

FTX Global Vector won't work yet, we have 64-bit app dependencies in the AEC tool

None of our three aircraft will work, nor are likely to indefinitely; we may retire them to freeware land later this year

All the remaining airports will work, but some main buildings and objects won't display until ObjectFlow.dll has been converted to 64-bit, which is something that our third party developer is working on right now, but not timeframe on when that's ready.

Thanks JV. Can you clarify your comment that " buildings and objects won't display until ObjectFlow.dll has been converted to 64-bit "

Which buildings and objects are you referring to? You say Regions will work and they contain buildings and objects in the enhanced (non payware) airports. Will those be not visible?

45 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

Thanks JV. Can you clarify your comment that " buildings and objects won't display until ObjectFlow.dll has been converted to 64-bit "

Which buildings and objects are you referring to? You say Regions will work and they contain buildings and objects in the enhanced (non payware) airports. Will those be not visible?

I was referring to airports that rely on objectflow.dll to conditionally display buildings and objects. I have edited my post to clarify this.

13 hours ago, John Venema said:

[...]

Furthermore, AI and road traffic has been super optimised without no FPS impact so you can roads and skies filled to the brim.

Hello John,

could you just briefly elaborate more on that regarding optimised road traffic? can we take "no FPS impact" literally, like it is the case with your innovate night lightning technique? To me personally, road traffic always was a major immersion factor, particularly if you fly over a highway on short finals...

Btw, i just recently came back to simming and bought openLC EU and NA and i can just say WOW, what a difference to several years ago... absolutely yaw dropping developments to simming

Wow!, P3D v4 is arriving a lot earlier than I'd ever hoped. Hoping v4 will bring more optimisation to the engine, either for higher frames, or same frames and increased LOD...

Great news that the vast majority of ORBX scenery will work with little no no changes required. Happy days for the Flight Sim community, having such a wide choice of platforms to choose from :)

2 hours ago, Conchulio said:

Hello John,

could you just briefly elaborate more on that regarding optimised road traffic? can we take "no FPS impact" literally, like it is the case with your innovate night lightning technique? To me personally, road traffic always was a major immersion factor, particularly if you fly over a highway on short finals...

Your mileage may vary, I am just reporting on my experience with the beta builds and what other testers have been reporting about more efficient traffic.

I hope P3Dv4 is usable with VR natively. P3Dv3 already had VR support, but it was poorly implemented, rendering the need do use 3rd. Party solutions like FlyInside. 

Some of the comments here lead to believe that that is the case! Cannot fly without VR anymore.

16 minutes ago, thiagocouto said:

I hope P3Dv4 is usable with VR natively. P3Dv3 already had VR support, but it was poorly implemented, rendering the need do use 3rd. Party solutions like FlyInside. 

Some of the comments here lead to believe that that is the case! Cannot fly without VR anymore.

15 hours ago, John Venema said:

Everything is clickable in VR natively now.

Looking forward to using VR natively... one less program that needs to run in the background (Hopefully)

@John Venema could you let use know the PC'c system specs used for the screenshots. Thanks :)

Thank you so much John! All just absolutely wonderful! What a great day and time for flight simulation, eh?! You've made a lot of people a 'lot' of happy today! Thanks very much!!! :D:D

57 minutes ago, Paul_Blythe said:

Looking forward to using VR natively... one less program that needs to run in the background (Hopefully)

@John Venema could you let use know the PC'c system specs used for the screenshots. Thanks :)

VR runs smooth as a whistle in V4, much better than V3 - so much so that I don't need to revert to disabling Stereo mode in Oculus. You can almost run it with ASW enabled as well, meaning it's close to getting 45fps per side in the Rift. In any case, just press Control+NumLock1 to disable ASW if you get flickering.

My PC specs for those shots are: 

Intel Core i7 6800K Water Cooled OC'd to 4.1Ghz / nVidia Titan-X GPU 12GB DDR / 2TB Samsung M.2 EVO 960 PRO SSD / 16GB Kingston DDR4 Memory / Windows 10 Creators Edition / 32" Acer Predator G-SYNC 4K monitor / 4TB Seagate ST4000DX SSHD

Archived