Prepar3D V4 - 64bit! Orbx preview 4K screenshots

I think it would be OK off an external SSD as long as it had it's own power supply and was not reliant on current via the USB only. The top preference would of course be an internal SSD. I don't know what PC case you have but is there not room for an internal SSD. Most cases have several HDD/SSD slots and also several slots on the motherboard for sata lead connections.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey John, awesome screenshots and reporting.  You mentioned above, 'Randoms with FTX GLobal + openLC EU ...'   Did you not have Vector running as well?  Also, were the shots directly above this post not in Orbx FTX regionals, just OpenLC?  I still don't know what that is, OpenLC that is.  Does the data in OpenLC also exist in FTX regional sceneries I have?

Beau Hollis is referring to mouse-clicking while in full stereo mode, which is difficult to do because each screen is offset from the other.

To achieve accurate clicks I disable stereo mode and I can interact with most cockpit objects including using the mouse wheel. Disabling stereo mode does not lose any VR immersion and vastly improves FPS and smoothness.

So can you "click" and otherwise manipulate virtual cockpit controls in VR mode?

What I'd like to do is be able to reach my arm out, press a button/set my QNH/lower landing gear etc using Prepar3d's native VR.  I know FlyInside can help here but I'd also like to keep as much native as possible to reduce overheads and the like.  I can deal with holding some kind of controller (such as Oculus touch) if necessary.

This will determine if I buy a VR headset or not pretty much.

12 hours ago, John Venema said:

Beau Hollis is referring to mouse-clicking while in full stereo mode, which is difficult to do because each screen is offset from the other.

To achieve accurate clicks I disable stereo mode and I can interact with most cockpit objects including using the mouse wheel. Disabling stereo mode does not lose any VR immersion and vastly improves FPS and smoothness.

Disable stereo mode... does that mean you get a 'flat' 360 view? If so that would seriously and totally kill immersion for me. The difference between a 360 view and a 3D 360 view is the difference between no and yes for me. Without 3D I wouldn't be using my Rift at all. I suppose this is very personal because I know some people like those flat 360 movies on YouTube while I can't see any fun in those. But maybe I am misunderstanding what that stereo mode is. ^_^ If however this really means 'no 3D' then I will pass and happily keep on using Aerofly (and happily await all those nice upcoming Orbx addons for it :)).

Nice comparison video from Jordan King ... Anyway, today's the day for Prepar3D v4 :D. Personally, I'll be waiting for a few months just to allow content providers time to official support v4. 

Looking forward to seeing what Orbx (and others) will do in the future with v4... 

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Disable stereo mode... does that mean you get a 'flat' 360 view? If so that would seriously and totally kill immersion for me. The difference between a 360 view and a 3D 360 view is the difference between no and yes for me. Without 3D I wouldn't be using my Rift at all. I suppose this is very personal because I know some people like those flat 360 movies on YouTube while I can't see any fun in those. But maybe I am misunderstanding what that stereo mode is. ^_^ If however this really means 'no 3D' then I will pass and happily keep on using Aerofly (and happily await all those nice upcoming Orbx addons for it :)).

J van E, have you actually read JV's post you are quoting? JV clearly states: " Disabling stereo mode does not lose any VR immersion and vastly improves FPS and smoothness."

3 hours ago, wolfko said:

J van E, have you actually read JV's post you are quoting? JV clearly states: " Disabling stereo mode does not lose any VR immersion and vastly improves FPS and smoothness."

Er... yes, I read it? But I still wonder what disabling stereo mode means and how come it doesn't kill immersion. I am not sure what you are trying to say with your post. ;) 

14 hours ago, skydivemayday said:

So can you "click" and otherwise manipulate virtual cockpit controls in VR mode?

What I'd like to do is be able to reach my arm out, press a button/set my QNH/lower landing gear etc using Prepar3d's native VR.  

Just curious...how do you 'press a button/set your QNH/lower landing gear etc' now?

Well the great news is that you can still do that! The VR screen just replaces your monitor, not your hardware, joysticks and controls.

Oh if you think that you can't do that because you can't see them well...

8 hours ago, J van E said:

Er... yes, I read it? But I still wonder what disabling stereo mode means and how come it doesn't kill immersion. I am not sure what you are trying to say with your post. ;) 

Doesn't matter. Stereo mode is not ready for primetime anayway, at least not on my system. First time in VR I ever thought there was a real chance I might get sick.

I'll try again later with much, much lower settings.

15 hours ago, wolfko said:

I think JV might have stereoblindness ;) because there's a huge difference between enabling or disabling stereo mode.  I just tried it for myself in 4.0 and with stereo mode enabled everything is in perfect 3D but with it disabled everything is lacking any depth.  It's like flying with triple monitors.

VR seems to perform much better in 4.0 though and I swear everything seems more crisp too like the resolution increased somehow.  I'm running the Oculus debug tool at a PPD of 1.5 as I usually do.  The only thing I don't like is that there's a distracting shimmering effect coming from runways, props, and distant clouds, among other things.  Maybe the FlyInside version will be better (that's what I used for P3D 3.4).

i7-6700k 4.0 ghz, nvidia 1080ti

6 hours ago, jay109 said:

there's a huge difference between enabling or disabling stereo mode.  I just tried it for myself in 4.0 and with stereo mode enabled everything is in perfect 3D but with it disabled everything is lacking any depth.  It's like flying with triple monitors.

Ok, exactly what I thought. Well, I would call that an immersion killer. ^_^ As I said I am not a fan of flat 360. Luckily there is Aerofly FS 2. V4 may perform better but when I read HiFlyer's post I understand v4 doesn't come close to Aerofly so I will skip v4 for now.

2 hours ago, J van E said:

Ok, exactly what I thought. Well, I would call that an immersion killer. ^_^ As I said I am not a fan of flat 360. Luckily there is Aerofly FS 2. V4 may perform better but when I read HiFlyer's post I understand v4 doesn't come close to Aerofly so I will skip v4 for now.

Until the problem with a double 'stereo' mouse cursor is solved as it has been in FlyInside just close one eye when using it.

I find if I close my right eye it's not a problem.

3 hours ago, J van E said:

Luckily there is Aerofly FS 2. V4 may perform better but when I read HiFlyer's post I understand v4 doesn't come close to Aerofly so I will skip v4 for now.

Well, so far without ORBX (or others...) this V4 will stay dead, here is why:

-the plane look awful (VC), at least the few I have tried.

-Interface is very detailed but not that user  friendly, well I hate the 2000's look, even FSX had a nicer interface.

-Saitek panels are not recognize (at least in my case), ok for: Yoke, pedal and trim wheel.

-Stock slider position give you superb FPS but it look like stock FSX, even worse.

-Pushing the slider somewhat right drop the FPS into the 40's and even 20's, but it's fluid. I can't imagine what will happen with some dense scenery.

Of course it's brand new and I only played for about 1.5 hours but...

To be honest, Aerofly FS2 give you way more stuff for your money and it's a superb sim in general, their plane feel and look are 10 time betters.

I can't wait for the 15 of June....

Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben

I agree that out of the box it doesn't seem that different than vanilla v3 but it is now a platform onto which the future of flight simming can be built.

P3d v3 / FSX 32bit systems were taken just about as far as they could be but with the new base the sky is no longer the limit.

AeroFly FS2 is a nice sim, I agree, but will it ever compete with P3Dv4 or X-Plane come to that for in depth aircraft systems or whole world flying? I doubt it. FS2 will always be a dip-in, dip-out sim for me, to fly when I have a few minutes to spare.

The future is bright, the future is P3D (for me anyway).

1 minute ago, FabioMagnoni said:

I'm sorry but I didn't read the full 4 pages.

I just installed the P3D v4, but the FTX Central v3 still not recognizing the SIM, when is the estimated release date for the FTX Central v3 / v4?

Not working yet, it's all over the forum

Ben

1 hour ago, Benny said:

To be honest, Aerofly FS2 give you way more stuff for your money

Cheers, Ben

Yeah its nice to have options thanks to Orbx doing cross platform support. I will be building v4 as addons are made native but it wont be until FlyInside is released for it that I will use it due to how my simpit is setup strictly for VR.

For awhile I've felt that I could be happy with v3 if only we could get rid of the OOM issues and v4 will do that for me plus allow for more detail and eye candy so it will be great for my main sim. AFS2 is going to be there as well but I need either an A2A type of plane or PilotEdge to be part of it to keep me using it more often.

13 hours ago, jay109 said:

I think JV might have stereoblindness ;) because there's a huge difference between enabling or disabling stereo mode.  I just tried it for myself in 4.0 and with stereo mode enabled everything is in perfect 3D but with it disabled everything is lacking any depth.  It's like flying with triple monitors.

VR seems to perform much better in 4.0 though and I swear everything seems more crisp too like the resolution increased somehow.  I'm running the Oculus debug tool at a PPD of 1.5 as I usually do.  The only thing I don't like is that there's a distracting shimmering effect coming from runways, props, and distant clouds, among other things.  Maybe the FlyInside version will be better (that's what I used for P3D 3.4).

i7-6700k 4.0 ghz, nvidia 1080ti

Is there any way to adjust the HMD or move around the cabin? The menu link for that does not seem to work. 

10 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Is there any way to adjust the HMD or move around the cabin? The menu link for that does not seem to work. 

Not sure.  I used FlyInside with 3.4 so I'm not really familiar with P3D VR.  I just saw that FlyInside won't be ready for 4.0 for another two or three months by the way.

Orbx has been testing V4 for some months now and we're pleased to report that almost all Orbx addons work very well in the system.

Thanks for this information but sorry to be hard: Why did not you update at least FTX Central and how else could you manually test the installation of addons? We are more than plaintiff.

Good news:..for FREE

Thanks for this information but sorry to be hard: Why did not you update at least FTX Central and how else could you manually test the installation of addons? We are more than plaintiff.

Answer

18 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

We have identified some last minute issues with the v3 to v4 FTXC process, so we are working on that. Don't expect anything in the 12-24 hours. 

Please note that the current version of FTXC will not recognise P3Dv4, so don't be surprised if you see no simulators to select (if nothing else installed).

That is pretty clear!!!!!!!!

I've just installed V4 on a dedicated 1TB ssd ( Academic licence + 330 € :),yes, I'm a believer...I will also upgrade my GPU form a 970 to a 1070).

Know we've got a looooooooong way to go, and still some good time on V3.

The fact is that nobody's ready. Nobody at all. We've been speaking of V4 64B for month now and nobody is ready when it's finally out.

I suppose there are technical and good reasons fore that, I'm sure, but I just bought active sky 2016 and Ultimate traffic live, and those are very recent releases, and they are stuck to V3. Why not waiting a bit and release them V4 ready ?

I trust that ORBX will react very quickly, and I hope all the others will follow them.

I have serious doubts with some well none developers anyway, as they don't even update to V3...

Let's be patient. I'm convinced that P3D V4 is the future, even if V3 could be more then enough for me if it wasn't for the OOM.

Aerofly could be very nice on some points, but I hardly imagine the whole world in photoreal on one SSD.

Maybe I'n totally wrong, but I really prefer  the FTX autogen approach.

24 minutes ago, NN_Avirex said:

The fact is that nobody's ready. Nobody at all. We've been speaking of V4 64B for month now and nobody is ready when it's finally out.

I take the freedom to disagree. I have been using Prepar3d since version 1.2 (2012?). always with a host of addons. 

I have never seen a start of a new major version that well-prepared between Lockheed Martin and the addon developers like this one. Quite a number of addons are already available (google) from the start, some have been announced for the next few days and another batch as pending/soon. Recall the ORBX migration to Prepar3d2? 

Kind regards, Michael

4 minutes ago, pmb said:

I take the freedom to disagree. I have been using Prepar3d since version 1.2 (2012?). always with a host of addons. 

I have never seen a start of a new major version that well-prepared between Lockheed Martin and the addon developers like this one. Quite a number of addons are already available (google) from the start, some have been announced for the next few days and another batch as pending/soon. Recall the ORBX migration to Prepar3d2? 

Kind regards, Michael

this is true , best readiness from addon devs ever. hope this relation between lockheed and devs continues for a long long time ! its a total win-win-win situation :D

A month eh? Is that all it takes to whip up a quick installer these days and test it? Well, in that case, it is an absolute travesty that the developers have taken all their loyal supporters for granted to the extent suggested. It is truly a crime against humanity.

I am curious though -  why is it that people who are so  quick to criticise when something is not available instantaneously, do not go out and create the product themselves? I have always thought that the Orbx team is comprised of a selection of gifted and talented individuals. Apparently they could use a hand, or at least some moral guidance...

Hello,

thanks for all your contributions.

The last few have added no value and the topic has run its course.

FTX Central will notify you when the update to P3D v4 is available

and I feel sure that there will be an announcement on these forums.

Hi all,

Ed has explained exactly what the issue is.  The root cause needs to be identified, a fix needs to be found, the fix needs to be implemented, the fix needs to be tested and validated by the development team, then the fix needs to be validated by the beta team.   The testing includes a number of scenarios and combinations of products and simulators - and the team members are in multiple timezones.

Thanks,

Matt.

Archived