Prepar3D V4 - 64bit! Orbx preview 4K screenshots

12 hours ago, Jbaran said:

Thanks to everyone for your comments and this is looking very exciting

In all of this I am wondering if I have missed mention of when orbx might be ready to release their buildings HD project too and how it will look in P3d v4?

+!1 :)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally.... I was waiting for such a news to move to P3D, I'm sold to any 64 bit FS. 

Ho well, buy buy to my fabulous 2600K, I will miss you. Time for a partially new rig. 

Ben

I currently use FSX for A2A planes with all my Orbx scenery and a very bare and empty P3Dv3 for my PMDG / Q400 / FSL A320

To celebrate I just went shopping and bought some more of your scenery so my tube-liners will get some love too.

Question on texture loading - I don't have a single platter drive in my system so blurries weren't an issue when flying slower aircraft such as a cub or anything else with a ~130kt (or lower) cruise speed.  However, I was definitely getting some blurries when flying PMDG aircraft from time to time, or even something like the RealAir Legacy.  Is there any improvement in that?  I would think with 64 bit it'd be perfectly capable of doing better with that, but I don't know if engine limitations made that impractical.

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, and screenshots aren't the best medium to answer a question like this (nor are the usual 1/2 speed videos that the professional p3d filmmakers use ;) )

Thanks!

-stefan

17 hours ago, John Venema said:

Everything is clickable in VR natively now.

Ok. This got me interested. So P3D v4 has FULL VR (Rift) compatibility out of the box? I do wonder if this clicking works by default in all airplanes, so also addon ones... 

6 hours ago, John Venema said:

Buildngs HD is currently on hold since Scott Armstrong does not have time to complete it due to his real job as a pilot.

Do you anticipate that this might eventually get developed. Many of us thought this was a great upcoming product when it was announced last year at FlightSimCon. Hope so as this product would provide quite a leap in visuals for the sim.

3 hours ago, John Venema said:

VR runs smooth as a whistle in V4, much better than V3 - so much so that I don't need to revert to disabling Stereo mode in Oculus.

John, can you speak about HDR in P3Dv4? In V3 with FlyInside we could not enable it, since VR is now native in v4, can HDR be enabled? Nighhts in v3 have always been so bright in VR due to that fact but when one enables HDR you get a much more realistic night darkness.

21 hours ago, John Venema said:

Orbx has been testing V4 for some months now and we're pleased to report that almost all Orbx addons work very well in the system. Please be aware though that we have to add new code to FTX Central and some of the installers to deal with new file structures, autogen, SpeedTree and a few other anomalies we have found. Please don't ask for our products to be ready on day one, but we promise to have to ready for you as soon as possible after V4 is released - and for free!

Love ya JV.. looks like I'm back to the 47 for 31 to finish the full catalogue:D:P

1 hour ago, Kilstorm said:

John, can you speak about HDR in P3Dv4? In V3 with FlyInside we could not enable it, since VR is now native in v4, can HDR be enabled? Nighhts in v3 have always been so bright in VR due to that fact but when one enables HDR you get a much more realistic night darkness.

Nothing's changed since v3 here, HDR is still disabled in VR mode.

I got around that limitation in V3 by using PTA 2.x instead of HDR, so let's hope there will be an update to PTA for v4.

37 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Nothing's changed since v3 here, HDR is still disabled in VR mode.

I got around that limitation in V3 by using PTA 2.x instead of HDR, so let's hope there will be an update to PTA for v4.

Great news and glad to hear that ORBX  product are already  ready for V4.  Dear john, i am fan of your product develop by your hardworking developer, can you please let us know did you just abandon FTX openLC for ASIA,  i think we need more ASIA region airports and Scenery addon, i know Sales is not good in ASIA Region than Europe, but i found ASIA region now a days most of airport is high demanding, every time we see either USA or Europe Airport Announcement, so please  we humble request you to  raise priority for ASIA Region too, Thank you very much 

Best Regards

Excellent news ! thank you for that.

You say your screenshot are Global+EU LC, and looking carefully I see a nice looking beach on picture 6 and some very nice transparency in the water on pictures 8 to 11.

Is there something new concerning that in the sim ?

6 hours ago, snapbikash said:

Great news and glad to hear that ORBX  product are already  ready for V4.  Dear john, i am fan of your product develop by your hardworking developer, can you please let us know did you just abandon FTX openLC for ASIA,  i think we need more ASIA region airports and Scenery addon, i know Sales is not good in ASIA Region than Europe, but i found ASIA region now a days most of airport is high demanding, every time we see either USA or Europe Airport Announcement, so please  we humble request you to  raise priority for ASIA Region too, Thank you very much 

Best Regards

openLC Asia is on the third place of their product line.

6 hours ago, snapbikash said:

Best Regards

QfqAb.jpg

5 hours ago, DesertPilot said:

Actually, that map is old, Orbx has since changed its plans.  South America will be the next openLC product.

Being followed by Africa, if memory serves me right. Shifting Asia beyond 2020.

Kind regards, Michael

".............we promise to have to ready for you as soon as possible after V4 is released - and for free! "

Excellent news indeed! How is this going to work for those of us who have a whole bunch of scenery on disk rather than downloadable content - so not registerable with Orbx? (That's most of mine)

Quote JV:

"No, there's no alias option, only the ability to copy from your V3 installation instead of re-downloading. "

What does this mean? Is this Orbx Central V3 you are referring to, or P3D V3 ?

Is it possible simply to copy/move the ORBX directory from one sim to another? How does that work with terrain.cfg (amongst other files?). Excuse my ignorance on this one, but I tried moving my Prepare3D v2.4 ORBX directory to Prepar3D v3 when P3D V3 came out to save spending a day installing, but it didn't work.

How does "copy" fit in with Orbx EULA, which says only one installation per pc, I believe?

Safe to say that it is advisable to do an actual reinstall via the new Central update which will be forthcoming shortly. As JV has confirmed, Orbx are going to advise us in regards to which current FTX addons will work straightaway and which ones will need some work doing or rely on Objectflow/PeopleFlow etc. He has stated that all the Full Fat regions will be OK and many of the older airports like Darrington and Concorde. 

If you just copied over your Orbx folder it would probably contain contents that are not yet compatible and this could affect v4 from operating correctly or not at all.

6 hours ago, sjt said:

".............we promise to have to ready for you as soon as possible after V4 is released - and for free! "

Excellent news indeed! How is this going to work for those of us who have a whole bunch of scenery on disk rather than downloadable content - so not registerable with Orbx? (That's most of mine)

Take a look there:

Thanks, but that doesn't really address the issue I'm asking. I have had all those updates already since the day we were given that link.

I have 43 Orbx Sceneries on DVD. In addition to those, I have lots of other Orbx scenery areas ( I have all in the ORBX catalog except about 10 minor airfields in the USA). Of those 43, the number that are recognized by Orbx Central V3 is ZERO. So that renders Central V3 completely useless to me, and I have continued using Central V2, which does recognize them, because it looks to see what it has installed on my PC, instead of what Orbx thinks I have based on the ORBX "registered sales" database wherever that is. Here's a picture of them, for those who might doubt the seriousness of what I am asking. That picture alone represents about $1000 investment, and the rest I have in downloaded digital content about another $1000.

IMG_1350.JPG

So - if another version of Central (V4, I presume) is coming out, and all our scenery is going to be upgraded "for free", I still would like to know how the issue of DVDs is going to be addressed, because it certainly hasn't been since Central V3 got introduced 6 or 7 months ago. I am sure I won't be the only one who will be unhappy if my scenery collection gets rendered useless, or I have to buy it all over again in order to move on to P3D V4 or another 64 bit sim. Based on my investment alone, I reckon I've been a pretty valuable customer of Orbx's, over the years and I feel extremely strongly that we DVD owners should not be ignored

JV has said he will have Orbx prepare an advisory list of their addons that should work immediately and those that are not mentioned I assume will be relying on updates to the likes of DLL based content like ObjectFlow etc.

I would also like to know if we will be required to perform the Migration process and/or any other procedure at the onset of installing working Orbx addons, and if so will these be included in his proposed advisory list?

4 hours ago, sjt said:

Thanks, but that doesn't really address the issue I'm asking.

I have 43 Orbx Sceneries on DVD.

Hello,

This is about as far from commenting on P3D v4 screen shots as it is possible to be.

Since you mention it, which simulator version are they installed into?

Orbx scenery looks as pretty as normal on P3Dv4 ... Personally, going to wait a few months before moving over to the new version. Give all the content providers time to work their magic :D

From a quick google search, (TERRAIN_)TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8 (9 or 10) isn't new. However, it does look to be more relevant as the old engine moves into the 64-bit era. Anyway, looking forward to it :)

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

This is about as far from commenting on P3D v4 screen shots as it is possible to be.

Since you mention it, which simulator version are they installed into?

No it isn't as far as possible. It's totally relevant. It very specifically addresses a point that John Venema made himself in this very thread, where he said that  ".............we promise to have to ready (Prepar3D v4 scenery) for you as soon as possible after V4 is released - and for free! " . I was pointing out that so far, DVD owners no longer have their scenery recognized, so was asking how this promise will be fulfilled to DVD owners.

To answer your question: my scenery is all installed to Prepar3D Version 3.4.22.19868 (i.e. - Hotfix 3)

Thanks.

Your scenery is installed into P3D v3 from DVDs?

By the way, the scenery is free but the transfer from DVD to digital is not

going to be free.

We are still progressing on the DVD cross grade option for our website currently and has proved to be more of trickier bit of functionality to implement. Please remember that this cross grade offer will be a "paid for" service with a fee per DVD to cover admin costs. That pricing still needs to be finalised.

We are in the final stages of finishing the coding of the OrbxDirect store to allow customers to convert their DVD copies to digital licenses held in OrbxDirect.

Yes, it has been a longer process to do this than we planned, but I have been demonstrated the functionality and we're almost ready to run with that.

So rest assured that shelf of DVDs is not a lost investment, they can all be converted to licenses which will work with FTX Central V3 and ultimately P3Dv4. It may not be ready for you on day one of P3Dv4's release but it won't be that long after ok?

3 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thanks.

Your scenery is installed into P3D v3 from DVDs?

By the way, the scenery is free but the transfer from DVD to digital is not

going to be free.

Yes. There is absolutely no problem at all with installing to P3D using DVDs, and the ORBX Registry fix that is available with Central V2

So - "free" doesn't mean "free" for those of us who have a lot of DVDS. That's the question I was asking, so thank you for the answer

4 minutes ago, John Venema said:

I have been demonstrated the functionality and we're almost ready to run with that.

So rest assured that shelf of DVDs is not a lost investment, they can all be converted to licenses which will work with FTX Central V3 and ultimately P3Dv4. It may not be ready for you on day one of P3Dv4's release but it won't be that long after ok?

Thank you for the clarification, John. That seems at slight variance from what Nick just said, but presumably all will be made clearer shortly

14 minutes ago, sjt said:

Yes. There is absolutely no problem at all with installing to P3D using DVDs, and the ORBX Registry fix that is available with Central V2

So - "free" doesn't mean "free" for those of us who have a lot of DVDS. That's the question I was asking, so thank you for the answer

Interesting.

I don't have any DVD products or P3D v3 but I have answered very many complaints from DVD owners that they cannot use them to install to P3D v3.

Would the method you use be adaptable to P3D v4 perhaps?

There is no contradiction between the two statements, his updates the one I quoted and should be good news for DVD owners.

John Venema did not mention that the transfer was not free of charge.

My quote was from Ed  Correia and in point of fact, it has never been possible to transfer a licence from a DVD bought elsewhere than the Flight Sim Store

free of charge.

2 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Interesting.

I don't have any DVD products or P3D v3 but I have answered very many complaints from DVD owners that they cannot use them to install to P3D v3.

Would the method you use be adaptable to P3D v4 perhaps?

Nick, I can't answer that directly, because I don't (yet) have P3D V4 to check it out. However, in principle, yes, I see no reason why it could not easily be made to do so. All that the Registry Fix does is to alter the AppPath and SetupPath in the relevant [HKCU.....] and [HKLM]..... registry entries, to divert installation from where the DVD's installation path is normally pointing, to the required paths relevant to a specified Prepar3D version. It's not at all complicated. Even if the existing Registry Fix doesn't work right now, it can certainly be modified to do so (officially). It's only a couple of lines in a .reg file to alter the registry as required.

I should have P3D V4 in about 3 days' time, so can let you know............

On 5/23/2017 at 2:52 PM, Airwolf said:

Wow - and I can finally have tons of road and AI traffic.  Mostly road traffic. This is amazing...I knew this day would come.

Looking forward to 64 bit and finally whack 32bit sim out of my computer for good.

I was wondering if WOAI will work with P3D v4?

On 5/24/2017 at 6:46 AM, John Venema said:

VR runs smooth as a whistle in V4, much better than V3 - so much so that I don't need to revert to disabling Stereo mode in Oculus. You can almost run it with ASW enabled as well, meaning it's close to getting 45fps per side in the Rift. In any case, just press Control+NumLock1 to disable ASW if you get flickering.

My PC specs for those shots are: 

Intel Core i7 6800K Water Cooled OC'd to 4.1Ghz / nVidia Titan-X GPU 12GB DDR / 2TB Samsung M.2 EVO 960 PRO SSD / 16GB Kingston DDR4 Memory / Windows 10 Creators Edition / 32" Acer Predator G-SYNC 4K monitor / 4TB Seagate ST4000DX SSHD

You mentioned the use of an SSD earlier.  I don't have enough room on my internal SSD so I've been running P3D with Orbx scenery off of my external HDD.  If I bought an external SSD do you think it would run P3D+Orbx as well as if it were on my internal SSD?  I've been running a lot of games off of my external HDD for a couple years and haven't noticed less performance but I'm wondering if it might help peformance in P3D+Orbx with an external SSD.  I know it would help with the loading times but I don't mind that so much.

Archived