Prepar3D V4 - 64bit! Orbx preview 4K screenshots

Lockheed Martin today announced their new 64-bit version of P3D on their website .

Prepar3D v4 New Features

•  64-bit Application
  • Unicode Compatible
  • New User Interface Design
  • Compiler and SDK updated to Visual Studio 2015
  • Regions of updated Airport & Terrain Data
  • New 3D Rain/Snow system
  • Scripting capabilities (Scenery/Model/Material)
  • Dynamic lighting support
  • Added PDK functions to draw primitive objects
  • Updated Documentation with new SDK and samples
  • Support for loading managed dll add-ons
  • Support for local SpeedTree wind effects
  • New TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP= .cfg parameter for extreme ground texture resolution

Please see here for more Details    http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2017/05/114164/ 

Orbx has been testing V4 for some months now and we're pleased to report that almost all Orbx addons work very well in the system. Please be aware though that we have to add new code to FTX Central and some of the installers to deal with new file structures, autogen, SpeedTree and a few other anomalies we have found. Please don't ask for our products to be ready on day one, but we promise to have to ready for you as soon as possible after V4 is released - and for free!

Here are some snaps I've been taking throughout the beta period, showing Orbx products running beautifully in the new sim. I will also show you the difference for ground textures using the new TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP= .cfg parameter.

Randoms with FTX GLobal + openLC EU ...

v0op.jpg

1pzD.jpg

N9p8.jpg

P92B.jpg

All your classic Orbx favourites really shine in V4 ...

epGD.jpg

YAoj.jpg

2g79.jpg

3rd party aircraft using XML work fine in the sim.

37Rl.jpg

jZPR.jpg

J9wn.jpg

la1P.jpg

Insane ground texture quality with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 param in p3d.cfg..

zk3K.jpg

oV0n.jpg

8av9.jpg

VdDa.jpg

Full support of Orbx night lighting 

dqbY.jpg

I am using my custom sky, cirrus and REX soft clouds set in these shots.

Forget VAS and OOMs, and FPS is excellent (see the FPS counters in some shots above with all sliders maxxed). Furthermore, AI and road traffic has been super optimised without no FPS impact so you can roads and skies filled to the brim.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm as excited as anyone for the P3D v4 release. Like many others, I've got so much invested in scenery and aircraft that I look forward to seeing it all with a modified engine.

However, I'm comparing these screenshots with those that Jarrod posted Aerofly FS2/Innsbruck right now. The AF2 ones look far,far better when you put the two side by side. So I think I'm still more excited for the 15th June than the 30th May. :) 

Thanks Mr. JV, this has been the moment I have been waiting for.  I have to admit, it came much much sooner than I expected but this will be a day one buy.  Everything looks beautiful, and no problem with Orbx stuff, if it takes a while no problem, at least I can remove VAS and OOM from my vocabulary.

One more thing, how are the default planes?

is there going to be a way to use same prev. Orbx installation from V3 (something like alias to V4) instead of having a duplicate installation on same SSD if I have V3 already installed with all Orbx addons?

No, there's no alias option, only the ability to copy from your V3 installation instead of re-downloading.

SSD's are so cheap these days, I use a 2TB Samsung EVO.2 960 which has five (5!) simulators installed plus scenery for each, and it's only half full.

Very nice, I was determined to buy it on day 1 anyway, but the feature list and first shots/videos -  including those above - look even more promising than I imagined.

Kind regards, Michael

Wow - and I can finally have tons of road and AI traffic.  Mostly road traffic. This is amazing...I knew this day would come.

Looking forward to 64 bit and finally whack 32bit sim out of my computer for good.

30 minutes ago, pmb said:

Very nice, I was determined to buy it on day 1 anyway, but the feature list and first shots/videos -  including those above - look even more promising than I imagined.

Kind regards, Michael

Me too, I cannot wait

18 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic to see the Lancair Legacy can be installed in V4. One of my key tools...!

and again me too, Really happy it works, I guess we just copy over the files rather than run the installer, @JV is that right????

This is very exciting indeed! It is as I have been hoping for as well, as I very much wish to stick with P3D. I will be watching from the sidelines though, until sometime in August when I can setup my flight sim cockpit again in Colorado. In the meantime, I will just have to enjoy watching all of YOU enjoy P3D v4 when it's released.

Yes Oculus Rift performance is much smoother even at max settings.

Great news!   Does V4 allow you to click switches etc in VR natively or will something like flying inside be needed as well?

1 hour ago, CrownCityMisfit said:

Thanks for sharing JV. This moment could not have come soon enough. Looks incredible. Can't wait to upgrade. 

[runs to A2A forum to see if planes are compatible]

No need to run... A2A has already stated they will give us FREE upgrades of all their planes to 64bit v4 :D

Got to say a big "thank you" to JV and all the other ORBX folk. The combination of the current sale and a tax rebate means I have just gotten hold of all the ORBX products I didn't have so I was already in Pig-in-S**t mode anyway, and now to hear that v4 is (almost) here, AND my Lancair Legacy will work in it? It just doesn't get any better! (I'm assuming Elvis is not going to show up to play at my place next weekend and the young Sophia Loren is not going to show either)

The terrain and Autogen LOD look amazing... this was the worst aspect of V3 for me, so I'm very happy to see this. I also looked at a video showing the dynamic lighting at an airport after dark, and it looks incredible, with light sources interacting.

19 minutes ago, walterg74 said:

No need to run... A2A has already stated they will give us FREE upgrades of all their planes to 64bit v4 :D

Okay, it's all turning out perfect...P3D v4, Orbx and A2A...it just doesn't get any better than that.

8 minutes ago, JasonW said:

Any plans to update Orbx street lights for dynamic lighting?

No, the dynamic lights are limited to 256 sources per scene and at altitude you can potentially see up to 50,000 3D light points with our lighting system which would cripple the sim if they were dynamic.

What you WILL see is the new dynamic lighting being added to new airport projects which will likely include street lighting close to the airport. It's up to each developer to patch existing Orbx airports to add dynamic lighting but don't count on that happening soon.

I just got the dreaded OOM pings so i shut down P3D in anger. Thought I would check the forums here and saw this great announcement.

Kudos to LM and of course to you guys at Orbx who work tirelessly to enhance our enjoyment and immersion in this great hobby.

Many thanks

Archived