Future Experience packages - name your dream locations

Tim Harris

The suggestion already came up, but again:

Galapagos Islands

Beautiful, remote location, main airport can manage medium aircraft like the a320, diverse landscapes (volcanoes, forests, desert like plains), unique flora and fauna. I could provide some photos, although only of a small part of the region.

Cheers,

Fabian

Edit: just saw the suggestion for Okavango delta around Maun, great area, too!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys

Could I suggest GUAM, a beautiful island featuring PGUM Agana International Airport, and the USAF Andersen airbase PGUA.

Guam is a perfect strategic midway post between Papua New Guinea and Japan, roughly 1,500 nm from each....

Great for heavies and military transports, and also great for GA in the localised scenic area, which could also include the nearby Northern Mariana Islands, a group of American Commonwealth islands, Rota Island (c.40nm NE of Guam), then Tinian Island and Saipan Island roughly 70nm NE of Guam....

Really looking forward to Pago Pago, and I'm certain that any area you guys take on will be marvellous indeed. Many thanks and best wishes.....

I didn't see any mention of Midway Island, with all their Gooney birds...

you are not talking about a mini-region there, Bruce, but of a nano-region. Not much ground around the runway except for the officers mess, is it  :P ?

One of the areas that might be interesting would be the Yukon Territories. Mayo, on the  Stewart River is a float base from which Black Sheep Aviation fly in hunters, canoeists etc into the headwaters of the Wind, Bonnet Plume and Snake Rivers. The majestic Ogilvie, Werneck and Selwyn Mountains and the challenging landings on Duo Lakes and others would be of great interest for bush flyers. A base of Whitehorse for the tube flyers with twice weekly Frankfort direct flights for tourists etc.

I also agree with expanding the PNG area to keep this wonderful scenery fresh offering more of the challenging flying we all love so much.

I support keeping to the less traveled and more exotic places as opposed to those beautiful but well know and visited areas.

1) Fiji and all of the small islands in it's chain.

2) The Florida Keys

3) The Bahamas. Not all at once, but in various packages.

4) Research project. I don't know if this can be done, but if anyone could do it it would be you guys. Location: The Great Barrier Reef. Model maybe 20 miles of it in 3D and sink the model into the mesh so it's top surface is flush with the deep ocean around it. Then you really could add fish flow. ;)  The only problem I actually see is making the wave graphics on top of the model. That's where I would see the downfall in this in getting it to match at the edges, unless you did it at a wave break line where the water becomes more shallow. I would also model an airport on the coastline in detail to fly from to this location.

I could make a very long list, but ultimate dream Orbxfied region would be

Southern Utah/Colorado Plateau.   Monument Valley is great, but it's the tip of the iceberg and there are crazy bush strips all over the area.

Second places would be anywhere Africa (Sahara?), Talkeetna/Alaska Range, South America anywhere as well.   Oh and Nepal and/or Bhutan.

Not worried tho, you know what you're doing and whatever you come up with will be just fine.

you are not talking about a mini-region there, Bruce, but of a nano-region. Not much ground around the runway except for the officers mess, is it  :P ?

The Midway Atoll consists of three islands, largest of which comprises 366 acres... isn't huge, but I wouldn't classify it as nano.  There are also several island clusters between the Midway Atoll and the Islands of Hawaii, that could be added to the Midway package as a large mini region.

I'd also like a Solomons package, as I think it would work with rugged scenery, a large airport and a scattering of smaller ones.  I'd be happy with a modern day rendition, with maybe a few wrecks and remnants of the days of big events.

Following from the PNG one, I reckon going the other way to West Papua and/or maybe the Moluccas could be good, for similar reasons.  Tough mountain strips, gorgeous volcanic island panoramas, a few sandy atolls, interesting local airport architecture.  Indonesia as a whole is far to big for such a package, but a remoter part of it could fit the bill well.

Africa also has the potential for something interesting, e.g. the Rift Valley with its spectacular landscapes, maybe Goma airport with its remodelling/recovery from lava damage, and that infamous curved road strip at Walikale with the pranged An-2s sitting at the side of the road.  Plus a bunch of other small strips used by aid agencies, adventurers, opportunists and even a few airlines. Further south is the strip at Luvua on a dramatic escarpment, where rocket testing was done in the '70s.

African islands have potential too, e.g. the Cape Verde islands which are a smattering of volcanoes connected by small strips to one big one on Sal.  On Fogo there's even a village inside the (outer) caldera of the volcano.

And of course up the coast are the Canaries, as mentioned by others.

An unusual one would be the airfields associated with the radar sites (active and historic) stretching across the Canadian and Alaskan arctic.  Many of these are in quite rugged locations.

As a customer, though, I'll be buying whatever you do next!

I've suggested the Goma area before and got poo-poo'd.. :-[   For jungle bush flying it would be an excellent Orbx region, but maybe too similar to PNG...?  I think people would love it though.

The radar site (DEW Line) idea is great, there was a neat freeware for FS9 but haven't seen a modern version.

I've suggested the Goma area before and got poo-poo'd.. :-[   For jungle bush flying it would be an excellent Orbx region, but maybe too similar to PNG...?  I think people would love it though.

The radar site (DEW Line) idea is great, there was a neat freeware for FS9 but haven't seen a modern version.

Hehe!  Well, I reckon the idea of PNG would have been largely poo-poohed before they did it - but they sure showed the critics!  Such sceneries are an education to the uninitiated, who never guessed how good it can be.  Such packages draw in converts to the idea of bush flying, and/or flying far from the mainstream.  It's not for everyone, sure, but I reckon it does have a potential audience that's still partly untapped.

I think all these ideas are great.  I have my favourite place that I want, but also look forward to seeing something different.  The Turkey idea is intriguing...

Thank you, ojiito! Just a few selected shots to see why Turkey is a great place to fly over... :)

Cappadocia

14.CappadociasTurkey_thumb.jpg

IdaspLr.jpg

2mDw5En.jpg

cultural-tour-of-turkey-2.jpg

Göreme Region

cultural-tour-of-turkey-7.jpg

Sumela Monastery on the Cliff Face

Sumela-monastry.jpg

Uzungöl (Long Lake)

Uzungul.jpg

Saklikent Gorge

Saklikent-gorge.jpg

Fog Over Demirkapi Plateau

Iron-Door-Plateau.jpg

Pamukkale (The Cotton Castle)

cotton-castle.jpg

My vote goes to Turkey. Home to different textures, seasons, plantations and variable geography, Turkey has a lot to offer for IFR and VFR flights.

Ordu-Giresun Airport (LTCB), which was opened a couple of days ago lies on an artificial island reclaimed from the sea, one of the rare examples of its kind. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordu-Giresun_Airport.

ghf_5153.jpg

There are many airports across the country, all with different approaches and elevations. There is, for example, Zonguldak Çaycuma Airport (LTAS) with an approach between the hilly terrain just like the one you'll see at Paro, Bhutan.

So I think this will be a beautiful experiment if you guys make it real.

Great to see a lot of votes for Hawaii!

Second choice is the Caribbean, and third Florida. All of these are in dire need of the full-fat ORBX treatment...HUGE opportunity for airport upgrades in each as well.

Wow, I see there are many others like myself that would like to see Hawaii. I will just expand on that, and why I would like to see a better representation of Hawaii. You see although they are all volcanic islands they all have something different to offer, and being in close proximity you can island hop easily with any type of aircraft.  I'll do a quick example (from north to south) 

Hi'ihau - "The Forbidden Island" - I was there last year and it's a remarkable island that nobody really knows about. You virtually have an untouched island with a small village of about 150 residents. It's like time stood still here, and it has some pristine beaches and lots of wildlife such as birds, and even a population of Eland's brought over from Africa. Niihau has a nice see cliff and the largest lake in the Hawaiian island chain that grows and shrinks with the amount of rain.  

Kaua'i- Has the largest coffee plantation in the state, has Waimea Canyon which reminds me of a tropical grand canyon, and is beautiful to fly through. Also the Na Pali coast is breathtaking to fly by and lets not forget Barking Sands missile test facility. Plus there are several airstrips on the island.

O'ahu- many fantastic looking and iconic buildings in Honolulu, and structures such the Valley of the Temples, and history there with Pearl Harbor and all that region of the island.  

Moloka'i- another mostly unspoiled island with the tallest sea cliffs in the world along the north shore

Lana'i - former pineapple plantation island, with a couple nice resorts and golf courses

Maui - has diverse terrain from the second wettest place on earth in the west to the dry lava fields in the south. Can't forget the 10,000' Haleakala and it's craters which look like you are standing on the planet Mars, plus the red sand beach and the black sand beaches. Also the very tropical east side around Hanna.

Kaho'olawe - small baron island that was a former bombing test range.

Hawai'i - last but not least is the Big island which has something like 11 of the 14 climate zones you find around the world all on this one island. This island has everything and is huge. From hundreds of coffee plantations in the mountains along the Kona coast, to the dessert area around Mauna Kea, plus the observatories at the top of the sometimes snow capped Mauna Kea, to the lush golf courses built on black lava fields, to the green sand beach near the most southern point of the USA, to the vast lava fields that grow by the day, and Kilauea which is the longest running active volcano on earth.  Also this island also has many airstrips, and some are at higher altitudes and in the clouds so to speak. 

Anyway that's just my $.02

Hi'ihau - "The Forbidden Island" - I was there last year and it's a remarkable island that nobody really knows about.

Maybe because it's forbidden, lol..

But I agree Hawaii would make an excellently beautiful region.

Remember folks, this is not about a fat region but as Tim put it about an "Experience Package". What I see in the two already or soon to be released EP, PNG and the Samoas, is a few very detailed small "core" areas coming with "lighter" larger areas where the vegetation (landclass) is homogeneous. And we not are talking hundred of thousands km2 either. I'm glad that Hawaii is on the radar screen but all things considered, I'd prefer to have it as a fat region than as an "Experience Package" ...  

In random order:

- The PNG islands north and east of the "mainland".

- Solomon islands

- Vanuatu

- Fiji

- Cook Islands

- Tonga

- Tahiti and her islands

- New Caledonia

Thanks, Wolfgang

All the various suggestions in this thread sound great to me....I'd like to suggest that whatever future "experience" products are developed, contain multiple airports of various sizes, including remote/secluded airports.

That'd allow us to hop from one airport to another within the product, while exploring the beautiful scenery.

I think the upcoming Samoa product is a good example of this, with its numerous airports.  The Hawaiian island region of course is loaded with airports, I wonder if Hawaii is significantly large (or complex) enough to be its own full-fat region...especially with Frank's 3D mountain/cliff models added. :)

Would love to see the island nation of Palau modeled.  The nation is a collection of tropical islands that are close to each other unlike some other island nations.  Palau was the site of several major battles in World War 2.  It's beauty is unrivaled in my opinion and has never been done in FSX(that I know of).  The below picture is of some of Palau's famed rock islands.  Palau has a bunch of these small islands in addition to larger more mountainous main islands.  Many of the islands are uninhabited also, so the whole nation wouldn't have to be photoreal.  It also has a main airport and several smaller airfields/strips, many of which used to be military airfields during World War 2!  It's only a short hop from Palau to the Philippines, Guam, and Papua. You really do have to look it up though on Google Earth though to see how amazing Palau really is.  The number of islands is just unreal.

image_view_image_format_raw_type_orig_id

Remember folks, this is not about a fat region but as Tim put it about an "Experience Package". What I see in the two already or soon to be released EP, PNG and the Samoas, is a few very detailed small "core" areas coming with "lighter" larger areas where the vegetation (landclass) is homogeneous. And we not are talking hundred of thousands km2 either. I'm glad that Hawaii is on the radar screen but all things considered, I'd prefer to have it as a fat region than as an "Experience Package" ...  

Exactly.  Hawaii, and Turkey are way too large of areas for an "experience" package.  Personally, I prefer the island experiences though as there is no "default" land bordering them(usually). The Florida Keys are cool, but without Open LC NA, I fear that the keys wouldn't blend in well with the currently depicted Florida.  Florida in FSX looks like The American Midwest in my opinion.  Will buy whatever though.

Regards,

Robert

Archived