Future Experience packages - name your dream locations

Tim Harris

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caribean and Hawaii is a must

But Madagascar is a little bit forgot for developers. Maldives and Seicheles too  :ph34r:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivato_International_Airport

There's a good rendition of the Seychelles by Aerosoft/FSDG already so I'd rather see something new. Though Madagascar has some great, diverse areas, photography within airports is forbidden in madagascar so getting high quality images for 3d modeling could be difficult.

There is a lot of people interested, believe me, by a crossborder Alps fat region as shown by a poll early this year for the next OrbX European project. But that what it should be, IMO, a fat region. The Experience concept is more limited in nature (not in quality or density of goodies, mind you, but in size).

Hi Dominique!

Well, one could always extent the region a little bit more to make it fat. Let's say: Southern Bavaria, all of northern Italy down to venice and the adriatic, from the mt.blanc massive to the carpathian mountains, Austria, Hungary, in between...

But as I know myself, I'll be happy with any release as long as it is from FTX :)

Maldives would be awesome and gets my vote

Caribean and Hawaii is a must

But Madagascar is a little bit forgot for developers. Maldives and Seicheles too  :ph34r:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivato_International_Airport

Maldives would make a mesmerizing 'Experience' and add a very usefully located holiday paradise in the middle (well sort of) of the Indian Ocean. I know there's an ancient scenery by one of the other developers but its so old now and has no real depth of character and immersion to it IMO. I'm dying to replace! Now, if Tim and Ken were to create the Maldives in their style of depth, character, colour, atmosphere and sense of immersion a feel of being there (which the 'ancient' scenery does not, along with all those amazing resorts along with all there beach and over-water villas, they would really bring this beautiful collection of atolls and islands to life and fascination in the same way the Samoan scenery has. Perhaps even split into 2 packages...the North atolls and South atolls.

With Male International, all the seaplane bases and island airports, the Maldives has all the ingredients for both tubeliner and GA pilots that make the Orbx 'Experience' packages so attractive and a 'must have'! ::)

The Seychelles scenery is okay but with the few shortcuts that were taken and some deficits of model detail in order to make it quickly, it doesn't quite bring the atmosphere of these beautiful island alive to me.

Mauritius is another reasonably appropriate-sized Indian Ocean island that hasn't been touched at all or have any quality scenery.

Then there's the USAF base on controversial British Overseas Territory of Diego Garcia and before you know it, there's practically an Orbx Indian Ocean region effectively. Sure is nice when there's places to stop over and explore on those long trans-oceanic flights, whenever we're lucky enough to have exotic island dotted about those sectors :) Another unique and distinctive Orbx favour with its own character, colours, architectural styles and impressive natural beauty.

I see that there is a real thirst for adventure in this community so I will propose something else for the fun of it.  The Experience concept : one or two small core areas in details and the rest more generic should work here. Of course, it would be too easy if I told you where it is and why it is an adventure. You've to guess. FSX/P3D offer about 10 airports in this area.

Again where is it and why ?

DonttrytocheatLOL.jpg

I see that there is a real thirst for adventure in this community so I will propose something else for the fun of it.  The Experience concept : one or two small core areas in details and the rest more generic should work here. Of course, it would be too easy if I told you where it is and why it is an adventure. You've to guess. FSX/P3D offer about 10 airports in this area.

Again where is it and why ?

My guess is the China-Myanmar border area, scene of "The Hump" - the supply airlift to China during WWII.

My guess is the China-Myanmar border area, scene of "The Hump" - the supply airlift to China during WWII.

Yes the Hump it is, from the upper Brahmaputra river in Assam (upper left) to Kunming in China (lower right), along the Eastern Himalayas. Wouldn't it be cool  8)  ?

Yes the Hump it is, from the upper Brahmaputra river in Assam (upper left) to Kunming in China (lower right), along the Eastern Himalayas. Wouldn't it be cool  8)  ?

Oh it sure would!  I bet there's a myriad of airstrips up there, as well as the larger ones used by the heavies.  It would pull together those interested in the history (e.g. DC3Airways have some Hump stuff) with the mountain/bush fliers.  So the same sort of people as Jacksons/Kokoda, really... ^-^

I'd call it an acceptable rendition, it lacks the quality and ambience we're used to.  Same with the Maldives, their renditions of both are tide me overs at best.  :D

That's just the way I feel about them Bruce. Well-described. :D

That would be so very cool indeed! :smile:

...Located in a geographical kaleidoscope of so much natural beauty and interesting flavours around the India-China-Burma (Myanmar) borderlands, a bush-flyer's paradise of mountain, jungle and Brahmaputra River delta, sprinkled with a fascinating backdrop of some significant WW2 history in the form of the Burma Campaign where British Indian, Gurkha, Commonwealth and US forces stopped the Japanese advance into India and the supply routes to southern China. Could you get a better cocktail than that? Perhaps but its not easy...Absolutely fantastic idea if you ask me Dominique! Would be mind-blowing! And there's even some potential for Frank to do some modelling of some of the eastern Himalaya mountains towards the north of that area. On top of that, its an easily expandable area if desired in the future too. How about the lands to the East in the form of the Thailand-Burma Death Railway and the Bridge on the River Kwai? Then to the West...the western Himalayas are also fascinating around Shimla and its surrounding areas, former Summer Capital of the British Raj, nearby Tibetan and Sikh holy cities of Dharamshala (spiritual home of Tibetan Buddhism) and Amritsar (The Golden Temple) in the foothills and plains, the nearby lush Kashmir Valley, the Leh Tibetan plateau where the world's highest functioning road is located (Ice-road Trucker's territory) and some of the Himalayas tallest peaks to the north of this Shivalek range of mountains.

Plenty of nearby International and Regional airports around all 3 zones for future development by anyone too.

Huge potential around these parts Dominique. And suddenly the Himalayas come to life and open up to some great and worthwhile flying and exploring.

Personally, like Jabble, I love the idea you suggested too Dominique! Well thought out! :D  ::)  :smile:

That's just the way I feel about them Bruce. Well-described. :D

That would be so very cool indeed! :smile:

...Located in a geographical kaleidoscope of so much natural beauty and interesting flavours around the India-China-Burma (Myanmar) borderlands, a bush-flyer's paradise of mountain, jungle and Brahmaputra River delta, sprinkled with a fascinating backdrop of some significant WW2 history in the form of the Burma Campaign where British Indian, Gurkha, Commonwealth and US forces stopped the Japanese advance into India and the supply routes to southern China. Could you get a better cocktail than that? Perhaps but its not easy...Absolutely fantastic idea if you ask me Dominique! Would be mind-blowing! And there's even some potential for Frank to do some modelling of some of the eastern Himalaya mountains towards the north of that area. On top of that, its an easily expandable area if desired in the future too. How about the lands to the East in the form of the Thailand-Burma Death Railway and the Bridge on the River Kwai? Then to the West...the western Himalayas are also fascinating around Shimla and its surrounding areas, former Summer Capital of the British Raj, nearby Tibetan and Sikh holy cities of Dharamshala (spiritual home of Tibetan Buddhism) and Amritsar (The Golden Temple) in the foothills and plains, the nearby lush Kashmir Valley, the Leh Tibetan plateau where the world's highest functioning road is located (Ice-road Trucker's territory) and some of the Himalayas tallest peaks to the north of this Shivalek range of mountains.

Plenty of nearby International and Regional airports around all 3 zones for future development by anyone too.

Huge potential around these parts Dominique. And suddenly the Himalayas come to life and open up to some great and worthwhile flying and exploring.

Personally, like Jabble, I love the idea you suggested too Dominique! Well thought out! :D  ::)  :smile:

My late grandfather flew for the RAF during that campaign...Sure would be quite something to be able get a feel for the lands he would have experienced...

...Located in a geographical kaleidoscope of so much natural beauty and interesting flavours around the India-China-Burma (Myanmar) borderlands, a bush-flyer's paradise of mountain, jungle and Brahmaputra River delta, sprinkled with a fascinating backdrop of some significant WW2 history in the form of the Burma Campaign where British Indian, Gurkha, Commonwealth and US forces stopped the Japanese advance into India and the supply routes to southern China.

One possible caveat to this idea is that it might be difficult to do good research at ground level.  The India-China border is disputed, and parts of the Burma-China border areas are in rebellion against the central Burmese government.  It's a sensitive area, and it's possible that the authorities won't allow access even if it's safe.  But I'm sure a lot of remote data would be useful, India and China are now on better terms and want to encourage cross-border trade, so you never know what access you get 'til you ask....

Indian ocean island (near south africa)

réunion island (France)

reunion-island.jpg

and its sister island Mauritus

::) Like it!

One possible caveat to this idea is that it might be difficult to do good research at ground level.  The India-China border is disputed, and parts of the Burma-China border areas are in rebellion against the central Burmese government.  It's a sensitive area, and it's possible that the authorities won't allow access even if it's safe.  But I'm sure a lot of remote data would be useful, India and China are now on better terms and want to encourage cross-border trade, so you never know what access you get 'til you ask....

That's right Jabble...Relations are indeed improving between the 2 countries, especially in terms of old territorial disputes around this part of the India-China border and the India-Tibet border area. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, during the Indian PM's state visit to China, Beijing and Delhi jointly agreed and decided to put these issues on to the backburner and now call them minor non-urgent issues and place more attention on their economies...and this would be in the interest of business. What I just realised is historically so interesting about these scattered pockets of disputed territory is that they actually arose as a direct result of this WW2 campaign, which actually works quite well with the scenery. And the India-Burma border is very accessible with no big issues there. The disputed areas are only in pockets along the China-India border here which would only need a little landclass and vector work which should be available, and there's so much undisputed and accessible territory in the majority of the area outlined with plenty of airfields, strips and airports which would be more than enough. You are absolutely right to point out the potential caveat indeed but as you yourself suggest on balance, a great scenery should still be very doable in today's climate and we sure would enjoy the hell out of it, wouldn't we?!

Actually, Tim was mentioning how they did scenery with limited data in the original post, so this would fit the bill nicely.

Many of the suggestions I wouldn't mind seeing (although a large proportion seem to be asking for full-size regions rather than experience packages). Turkey would be awesome, Japan and Iberia would be good too, but way too big.

Something in Hawaii (it doesn't have to be the whole chain) would be near the top of my list along with the above mentioned Assam/Himalaya region or maybe over in Bhutan. One area that I haven't seen mentioned yet would the Lakes Region of Chile.

My list:

one or more Hawaiian Islands

Lakes Region of Chile

Assam or Bhutan

Thanks for asking, Tim!

My favourite addon scenery:  Seychelles, Mauritius and Reunion.....

I agree with this one! Would be great!

Also more around Thailand - Krabi, the islands around and surrounding Phuket and that part of the Andaman sea.

One possible caveat to this idea is that it might be difficult to do good research at ground level. ... it's possible that the authorities won't allow access even if it's safe. 

I"m not sure that OrbX pays field trips to its designers to do ground researches  anyway >:D. And Tim and Ken say they can  take up the challenge : 

You've seen what myself and Ken can do with very hard to find data/material in Papua New Guinea, and now you've seen what we can do when data is much much better in American Samoa, and also more importantly what we have done with Western Samoa in creating vector based scenery to make up for a lack of decent imagery - this method can be applied to pretty much anywhere in the world regardless of data.

You want Experience ? What about a little bit of the Silk Road ? Flying from Samarqand to Taschkent then South to the Pamir  ?

CAVEAT : Field research might be hazardous too :lol: .

SR.jpg

You want Experience ? What about a little bit of the Silk Road ? Flying from Samarqand to Taschkent then South to the Pamir  ?

CAVEAT : Field research might be hazardous too :lol: .

SR.jpg

I have done it. Spent some time in Tashkent, been to Andijan and Samarkand. Good people, good food, really pretty terrain.

Registan alone would be cool to see rendered in the sim. That would be some spectacular modelling.

1-the-registan-at-samarkand-in-uzbekista

I have done it. Spent some time in Tashkent, been to Andijan and Samarkand. Good people, good food, really pretty terrain.

Registan alone would be cool to see rendered in the sim. That would be some spectacular modelling.

Beautiful picture Ripcord ! Do you have some of the countryside (terrain) ?

See Tim, you even have now some "community resources" ?

Oh, some excellent pictures there!

One of the ironies is that most public-domain pictures out there tend to be of beautiful and interesting views, not infrastructure like airport buildings and ramp markings.  Nobody goes to the Taj Mahal or Eiffel Tower to photograph the road markings and lampposts. ;)  In some places it can even be a bad idea to photograph infrastructure, as there can be a bit of paranoia about spies.  I was once (briefly) arrested for taking a photo of an interesting bridge in Africa.  They released me when I showed them a postcard of the bridge, that I'd bought earlier, viewed from the same angle. 8)

For all bush flyers out there: I guess Kenya is both magnificent and challenging !

Not a bad idea with a great potential for AnimalFlow :) ! A huge territory though  but flying a region from the lake arc (Albert to Malawi) to Zanzibar would be a blast !

Beautiful picture Ripcord ! Do you have some of the countryside (terrain) ?

See Tim, you even have now some "community resources" ?

I'd imagine between us, we could probably happily and easily muster up a fair bit of resource, research and our photos etc. to give the crew a helping hand with the majority of the popular suggestions above. Great photo that.

If all this kind of thing comes to fruition, I really think within a decade, Orbx will be our only Travel agent ;) Perhaps we'll even manage to walk Bob into the local Tourist Information offices (which will need to be discovered by us) within each of these sceneries and book a real 'Experience' package...;) I'm only half joking...that's the scary part! Lol!

The PNG experience package just keeps giving. I would love to see a similar experience of the Aleutians, of the WWII Pacific islands (Marshalls, Solomons, etc.). Me too for French Polynesia. In reality, anything you folks do that lives up to the PNG quality is great with me--I'll be buying!

The PNG experience package just keeps giving. I would love to see a similar experience of the Aleutians, of the WWII Pacific islands (Marshalls, Solomons, etc.). Me too for French Polynesia. In reality, anything you folks do that lives up to the PNG quality is great with me--I'll be buying!

Oh man, the Aleutians would be excellent.  The weather and the terrain is so challenging up there, and aviation is such a huge part of living in those remote places.

Just be sure to include Kodiak and go from there on out to cover the whole Aleutian chain.

Here's an idea...

Default FSX is nice.

ORBX FTX Global + Vector + LC makes it amazing!

Regions make it INCREDIBLY AMAZING, true, but.. what I would really like to see, is if you pulled all you resources together to speed up the LC packages for the rest pf the world... Instead of bits and pieces here and there, then everyone worldwide would haven an Amazing experience, after which you can go back to making the INCREDIBLY amazing bits.. :)

I know that is very likely that not all devs can (or have the skills to even) work on the LC products, but hey, as long as we're wishing/asking, that's what I would like to see first: get the whole world up to date to the ORBX amazing level, and then continue with the even more real regions.

Archived