Meeting the Kagi Landing Challenge

luckyb52

Efogi to Kagi --- the toughest trip I have ever tried. It only took me around 30 attempts to get the landing right!

Coming to a stop in a few seconds after landing is as nerve-racking as it gets :smile:

kJaXW.jpg

Yblnt.jpg

9lpbS.jpg

wI5DB.jpg

ed6mR.jpg

7Klox.jpg

H1V9X.jpg

Whew!!.....

Luckyb52

Congratulations on making it in to KAGI. I noticed that you only used 30* flaps. Try using full flaps for most of the approach, that will allow you get slowed up and take some of the "thrill" out of the landing. You will need to carry more power on final.

Greg

Very nice shots indeed - good practice for the others up there :D  Twotters like a "hanging" approach:

- full flap / 96% prop/ throttle min as possible for min airspeed

- increase prop to 100% "over the fence, cut throttle if not cut already

- flaps up and reverse thrust on touchdown

- stand on the brakes if necessary.

This from a former Twotter PNG pilot who says you have to be insane to contemplate landing a Twotter in any of those strips :lol: (even 'tho they do it these days)

Another hint he gave me - unloaded Twotters will float with full flaps, while fully loaded, or nearly fully loaded, Twotters will settle and handle cross winds quite nicely.

Cheers

Luckyb52

If you are floating with 40* flaps, you are too hot. A good approach leads to a good landing. Try 40* flaps with a slight nose up attitude on final. Maintain at least a 200 ft/min decent, chop power, and fly it on. The goal is to touch down asap and get the reverse and brakes working. No additional flair or just enough to land on the mains. We used to call this hanging it on the props, you can land very short using this technique.

Greg

As mentioned by many before: Landing the twotter on these strips is a masterpiece. I learned the orientation with a smaller bird, before I tried with the twotter (that saved lives...). After all, if you know where you are and have the approach stabilized, it is not too much of a "witch work".

And: these shots show what I think is a perfect landing, congrats!

Green, green, green! :)

Kudos to anyone landing on those smaler strips with a Twotter. I usually chose a chopper or really, really small prop :D

Nice ones!

Mallard

Great shots of your last attempt. I just bought this scenery and find it so well done. Lots of challenges ahead.

Grand shots these.

cheers

Iain

Great looking shots, gratz on landing, the twinotter is my goto aircraft for these strips always, fullflaps on the way in, Chuck it in reverse as you cross the threshold ;)

Very nice shots indeed - good practice for the others up there :D  Twotters like a "hanging" approach:

- full flap / 96% prop/ throttle min as possible for min airspeed

- increase prop to 100% "over the fence, cut throttle if not cut already

- flaps up and reverse thrust on touchdown

- stand on the brakes if necessary.

This from a former Twotter PNG pilot who says you have to be insane to contemplate landing a Twotter in any of those strips :lol: (even 'tho they do it these days)

Another hint he gave me - unloaded Twotters will float with full flaps, while fully loaded, or nearly fully loaded, Twotters will settle and handle cross winds quite nicely.

Cheers

... or a Harrier! :lol:

Adam.

Fantastic landing, and great shots

As mentioned by many before: Landing the twotter on these strips is a masterpiece. I learned the orientation with a smaller bird, before I tried with the twotter (that saved lives...). After all, if you know where you are and have the approach stabilized, it is not too much of a "witch work".

And: these shots show what I think is a perfect landing, congrats!

Great post Lucky !! .

Cheers

Brad

Thanks so much for your encouragement, friends!

Best

Lucky

Hey Greg

I did use full flaps to start with but found myself floating over the runway at the last minute. Hence I cut it down to 30, had better control that way ---

A beautiful set Lucky.  If you'd raised the flaps back to zero, you'd have eliminated that float - might have been a slight thud.

Very nice shots Lucky. Judging from your third screenshot you were high and hot, did not touch down until you were half way into the strip. Try aiming to touch down as soon as you cross the threshold. The best place to practice this is at Lukla (with crash detection turned OFF), at least, if you come a cropper it does not hurt.

Very nice shots Lucky. Judging from your third screenshot you were high and hot, did not touch down until you were half way into the strip. Try aiming to touch down as soon as you cross the threshold. The best place to practice this is at Lukla (with crash detection turned OFF), at least, if you come a cropper it does not hurt.

Thanks for the tip, will definitely try Lukla (once my nerves have recovered from Efogi -> Kagi  :lol: )

Rgds

Lucky

Archived