Share your desk / cockpit setup here!

Daniel Taylor

Holi, unless you go to the very expensive Sony HD projectors your big curved screen resolution will be limited.

See ---- Can I buy an Ultra HD home cinema projector?

Yes. The first genuine Ultra HD consumer product to hit the streets was the Sony VPL-VW1000ES in 2012, a home cinema projector that borrows technologies originally developed for the brand's commercial digital cinema projectors. Indeed, the VPL-VW1000ES conforms to the Digital Cinema Initiative (DCI) specification, which uses a slightly different resolution (4096 x 2160 pixels) than Ultra HD TVs.

Meanwhile if you don't want to fork out the $14,000 for each projector the Dell 27" HD Monitor three of which will give you a resolution of 7680x1440 see http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2711-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B0039648BO

Regards

Ken

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ken,

This would be a bit over the top, my "budget owner" would sent me straight to hospital.....

Anyway, with 3 HD beamer I would get a resolution which would satisfy myself.....it would be something like 5760x1080 and that is pretty good.

With the immersive light software you can get a good blending etc....

But first of all I will try with one HD beamer to check the impression and quality....I will check with a BenQ W 1070... Lets see....

Hi,

next week my son will get his working-contract and then he knows, it´s time to leave (25 years old) >:D

Then I got a empty appartment and one room is reserved for flightsimming :)

Now I got 3 27" Monitors by Nvidia Surround. So I favorite 3 x 47" LCD-TV for the next cockpit ;)

Therefore I will buy a GTX 780 and my GTX 670 will stay for instruments.

Wintertime will be time for planning a Single-Engine-Cockpit :smile:

I noticed that most people went with 3 monitors of various sizes ($$$). Someone commented on using a 42" HDTV instead. Given the cost of three quality monitors the 42" TV seems to be the only way to go. If a 30" monitor was reasonably priced and worked well, that would be an alternate choice.

So, my question is do people who use an HDTV have any regrets? I understand the pixel density issue but money talks.....

Tried 3-monitors (used to have the same on both sides) but found I preferred just the main monitor with the side ones for flight maps and such. I have my yoke and joystick plugged in for all flights to make use of all the buttons I can. Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals are not shown under the desk

54366_10151171711088740_710857528_o.jpg

K2WD.jpg

Nice to see all these different layouts - thanks for sharing. In the spirit of sharing, here's mine.

• I use monitor one for FS. The other one for SkyVector, and other navigational stuff. Since this second monitor is actually displaying my browser window, I look-up whatever it is I need on-route. 
  • All my flight controls work off the flight-stick. The Microsoft gaming keyboard gives me extra programmable keys, which I use - and find handy. I also like the back-lit keys, which is about as close as I get to a realistic cockpit environment. 
  • Duel KEF speakers (the left one is not visible in the photo), which are fed through a 100 watt amp do a nice job on the background sounds. This is overkill, but I wasn't using the speakers for anything else - besides, given the work developers go to in creating realistic sounds for us - why not enjoy them!
  • I do monitor computer core temperatures, and the fan (on the left) is helpful when things start getting a little too warm. The thermometer is just above the keyboard. 
  • Approach plates are on the stand next to the monitor. 

this is my current set up, I use my ipad for my keyboard controls,

and second monitor for my gps ,mapping and atc and my laptop for surfing the 

net when flying and playing my sims 3 at the same time when on long flights

milosiphonepicsnvids021_zps1a12593f.jpg

Hi,

Sorry I forgot, my left Monitor is also a TV (see the remote-control?), thats what I doing at long boring flights :P

DSCN0558%20%28Small%29.JPG

the right remote-controll is for the 5 x 300watts Dolby-surround-reciever see a little on the down right.

Its an old Kennwood-Reciever (25 Years old, but on my JBL 5000 ti Speakers a great sound!! )

Hey chaps, that sharing is very interesting. It appears it's funner to fly with multiple monitors but if you can get one with ultra high definition you can reduice to one ;)

BTW, are your wifes all ok with having a real cockpit at home? I admit that is often source of stress in a couple. Just a morning thought...

hal9000 is that Grand theft auto 4 on your tv?

I only have to argue to me about buying things, not married so lucky there i guess ::)

apart from frank  i think ( doing the 737) is there any one else doing a full cockpit??

Hey chaps, that sharing is very interesting. It appears it's funner to fly with multiple monitors but if you can get one with ultra high definition you can reduice to one ;) BTW, are your wifes all ok with having a real cockpit at home? I admit that is often source of stress in a couple. Just a morning thought...

If she got stressed out with me being a pretend pilot, she shouldn't have married me - I've been doing it since FS4 :). She should be thankful that I don't dress her up in a stewardess' uniform and nag her for a single malt on the rocks!

BTW, are your wifes all ok with having a real cockpit at home? I admit that is often source of stress in a couple. Just a morning thought...

I am an extremely lucky man as my wife has no problems whatsoever with my simming. As far as she's concerned it's my hobby and something I get a lot of enjoyment from. Why on earth would you give the one you love grief for doing something that they love doing. Of course if wifey had to give up their dressing room for a sim room, then that may be a different story :D

My passion for flightsim is longer, then i knowing my wife. We got a big house, only one children lives in a seperate appartment (hope, not for very much longer) and we got no livingroom, because everyone got his own room and for anything else we got a big kitchen (exept sleeping and ... for that we got a bedroom too) And in my room i can do what ever I want.

The only thing for discussion is, what to do on weekend. My wife always wonna go outside, shopping, geocaching, motobiking, working in garden and so on. I have no problem stay at beauty wheather at home with my flightsim-I realy didn´t. ;)

But soon comes the time she must stay also at home, when the grey weathertime comes :P

I noticed that most people went with 3 monitors of various sizes ($$$). Someone commented on using a 42" HDTV instead. Given the cost of three quality monitors the 42" TV seems to be the only way to go. If a 30" monitor was reasonably priced and worked well, that would be an alternate choice.

So, my question is do people who use an HDTV have any regrets? I understand the pixel density issue but money talks.....

I have no regrets at all. I find that it's great. The triplehead2go seems to just cut off the top and bottom and expand the rest of the picture. I may be wrong but that is how it appears to me. From my research 42 inches seems to be the optimal size for a single screen.

She's an Ex-Chief Purser with more than 12,000 hours flying. She loves planes more than I do and thinks every single plane has unique personality. So, I got no complaints from her except occasional harsh criticism about my virtual piloting skill :) I am a lucky one I guess.

I have no regrets at all. I find that it's great. The triplehead2go seems to just cut off the top and bottom and expand the rest of the picture. I may be wrong but that is how it appears to me. From my research 42 inches seems to be the optimal size for a single screen.

Hi Roger, did you set WideViewAspect=True in fsx.cfg or else the display is as you describe ?

I've got a 42'' HDTV too but was'nt satisfyed but the resolution 1920x1080 because pixels are too visible. So I went to triple display with smaller monitor. I bought on ebay 2 same 20'' LCD  for only 40 USD each 8)

Here's mine. I still have some work to do if I can stop flying...lol. I've been working on this little by little since 2012.

WmTGl.jpg

Tell me, how do you display the G1000 on your cockpit ? I'm interessed by that

Tell me, how do you display the G1000 on your cockpit ? I'm interessed by that

The 182T I fly from Carenado has 2d popup panels for the PFD and MFD. When I set my initial flight up I just drag them over, resize to my touch screen, move them back to the main screen and save the flight. Each flight I just drag them over to the touch screen, that's all.

The 182T I fly from Carenado has 2d popup panels for the PFD and MFD. When I set my initial flight up I just drag them over, resize to my touch screen, move them back to the main screen and save the flight. Each flight I just drag them over to the touch screen, that's all.

Thank you mate. The touch screen is an excellente idea

Hi Roger, did you set WideViewAspect=True in fsx.cfg or else the display is as you describe ?

No Richard, it is set to false. I'm not one for fiddling around too much with cfg files. The resolution is set at 1680 x 1050 for better frame rates and the only pixilation I get is on the glare shield of one or two of the older aeroplane that I like to use, which I'm happy to live with. I did a re-install of FSX a while ago and the only thing I have changed is getting rid of the clumps of dirt that fly up when taxing on grass. And I'm waiting for P3D V2 so FSX will most likely end up in the bin if all goes well with that.

Roger,

I use the Digital TripleHead2Go with three high 24" monitors with WideViewAspect=True and it works very well. I suggest to change your setting and see how it goes.[/quote)

Same here

Stu

Thanks guys, but, l'm afraid I am addicted to the 42 inch screen and the only way I would use the TripleHead2Go again for the main display is if I could have three 42 inch ones going. And apart from the cost, l would have to do a major rehash of my cockpit. The big screen gives me a much more realistic feel with the size of the panel that it displays. The TH2G is used for the top screens now.

matrix961 yyou should try this.  http://www.casawave.fr/upload/fsx/Panel_Position.zip once you save yor flight and then restart , undock the windows and click PanelRestore...done they are back to when you placed them and hit PanelStore...

I have an FA18 cockpit and have the 3 DDI's , the UFCD and the EFD  in another screen with a partial (7") touch panel over it. Panel restore saves a lot of dragging.

Jorge

Roger,

I like my setup very much but if I had the money I would increase the size of each of my three screens as well. If I had that money I would also mount it all on a motion platform too!!

We enjoy our hobby with a passion and that is good!

Good flying my friend.

Without a doubt. The combination of a good yoke, throttle/prop/mixture levers and (for me) trim wheel is an absolute must imo.

The same goes for me. They will add a whole new dimension to your simming. 

I like to have the following, rudder pedals (mostly for taxiing and some flying as required, yoke, throttles and TrackIR. They just add so much more to the realism of the sim experience. Mine are not the expensive ones and as a result there is the odd issue once in a while of the sensitivity of the control, but even then I wouldn't want to be without them. I will add my cockpit later when I can get a picture of the latest additions. 

Archived