Share your desk / cockpit setup here!

Daniel Taylor

wow... you guys rock,, 

I may have to build 2 cockpits! one for the cessna and one for the 737!! holy cow too hard to choose!

Asamra, where do you get that cockpit from ? or is it some one just put together?

Thanks Vanderlay, for your pics too very nice..

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are close to an airfield that has an Aero club, I'm sure if you explained what you wanted, they would let you sit in one of their aeroplanes and take some measurements. That way you can find a comfortable position to suit you.

Thanks Roger.  I've just got my 12 year old son into the Canadian Air Cadets and I've joined as Vice Chair myself.  Our chairperson works for Flightcraft over at my local airport in Kelowna B.C and he's invited me down this weekend to see the DH Beaver and Twin Otter that they have been refurbishing.  Will do just as you suggested and get a feel of where everything is.  Truth be known I think I'm more excited than my boy.

Your quote from Leonardo de Vinci is absolutely spot on.  Never has a truer word been spoken.

Regards

Ah .... that is simply a number pad. I use "Autohotkey" software to program it so I can use it with the default ATC. works like a charm and I donr have to swivel around to find my keyboard.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Zoran, it is not a force feed joystick, I use it instead of the Hotas stick because I do not have pedals and the Thrustmaster T16000 has a twist grip that works the rudder in the air and the taxi direction on the ground.

Why no pedals - I am 6' - 61/2" tall with big feet and my long legs under my desk on to pedals would not be comfortable.

Plus the 12 programmable buttons are great. see  http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m

Thanks for the compliment on my setup.

Regards

Ken

Zoran, it is not a force feed joystick, I use it instead of the Hotas stick because I do not have pedals and the Thrustmaster T16000 has a twist grip that works the rudder in the air and the taxi direction on the ground.

Why no pedals - I am 6' - 61/2" tall with big feet and my long legs under my desk on to pedals would not be comfortable.

Plus the 12 programmable buttons are great. see  http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m

Thanks for the compliment on my setup.

Regards

Ken

same problem here , to tall but I use a recliner as well so no pedals but a Logitech extreme twist stick. I will try n post my set up soon as I get a camera. Im using a short throw projector

This is what I have and use

008_zpsc5cc5082.jpg

006_zps6eef657e.jpg

005_zpscd18029d.jpg

004_zps3d9fb31f.jpg

003-Kopi_zps908e4323.jpg

001-Kopi_zps034bb6d8.jpg

It is worth thinking about,that I still use addon from 2002 (MAAM SIM DC-3)

Hope the same happens with FTX AU in 2024 8)

I like the gps in this set up, would love that , some day..

is it usuable just like in the sim?

Holi, are you interested in adopting a 40 year old man-child from California?

I hope your setup becomes increasingly attainable. The worst thing about being a flight/racing sim enthusiast is that the monitor tech has not caught up with the software and controller tech, especially relative to cost and availablity. Arguably, the monitor is the most important piece of hardware affecting immersion. Even a triple-screen setup is far from optimal. Very frustrating.

It not alot of cost for the curved screen, its a simple construction (approx 100 bucks) the most expensive part are the both HD beamer, I´m using the BenQ W1080ST.

Thank you anyway for your comments I will send more images when I start to build the shell.....

as my computer is for FS only I just bought the Immersive display lite 2  from  http://www.fly.elise-ng.net/immersivedisplaylite2

I do not need a corrected desktop.....

I didn't know this type of software existed. I have an old Screenplay 4805 with a fresh bulb - collecting dust on my shelf. Maybe worth looking at again. Can I achieve something cool with a single projector?

I tried with an older projector before but was not satisfied. Resolution 1024x768 is not good, you can see each pixel. full HD is the only solution from my point of view, its a brilliant image now.

But why not trying it.....give it a go and try.

I tried with an older projector before but was not satisfied. Resolution 1024x768 is not good, you can see each pixel. full HD is the only solution from my point of view, its a brilliant image now.

But why not trying it.....give it a go and try.

Holi

You have inspired a few of us with your fantastic visual system :)

I'm a bit gutted; I have recently bought 3 1200x800 projectors but am going to go HD now. I got them for a reasonable price but I've seen pictures of some systems since including yours and want to go HD too.

I don't suppose you would share (it would be great to see) your .flt file that gives you the 2 window view?

Thanks

Holi

You have inspired a few of us with your fantastic visual system :)

I'm a bit gutted; I have recently bought 3 1200x800 projectors but am going to go HD now. I got them for a reasonable price but I've seen pictures of some systems since including yours and want to go HD too.

I don't suppose you would share (it would be great to see) your .flt file that gives you the 2 window view?

Thanks

Anddrew,

I´m not quite sure what you mean with .flt file??

The screen resolution is set to 3840x1080 ...is that what you wanted?

Anddrew,

I´m not quite sure what you mean with .flt file??

The screen resolution is set to 3840x1080 ...is that what you wanted?

Hi Holi

I thought/assumed you were using two open full screen windows; are you using just one?

If so what is your zoom setting and FOV?

Thanks

I´m still experimenting a bit but so far I feel best solution is with wide aspect true a zoom of 0,8-0,9 and with wide aspect false zoom is best between 0,5-0,6 

This my solution, not necessary your tast, therefore I said each one should find out his own preference. but you saw the screenshot....for me it looks pretty cool and undistorted.

When I have found my fixed preference I will post a few more shots from OBRX Land, than you will see ....maybe Southampton or so

yes again I m running 1 full screen window just corrected by the warping software ....

how would that set up be compared to just using 2 or 3 monitors??

also has any one made a home made glass cockpit? 

milo

The large projection would be significantly better for imersion simply because of the size and you can litterally make the external view life size.  Glass cockpit is pretty simple in it's basic form 2 LCD's with touch screens mounted in a Panel and something like the Mind Star G1000 installed.  Use Derek Speare's button controller and Rotary encoder controller and you set.

The large projection would be significantly better for imersion simply because of the size and you can litterally make the external view life size.  Glass cockpit is pretty simple in it's basic form 2 LCD's with touch screens mounted in a Panel and something like the Mind Star G1000 installed.  Use Derek Speare's button controller and Rotary encoder controller and you set.

interesting idea

Thats maybe true, but do not forget, G1000 is running within the sim and if you place it on a addional monitor you could not go to full sreen mode on your outside view as the add. monitor would go black.

the other downside is running all on a singe machine would heavily influence the performance....

I prefer to have all additional stuff on a network machine, which is not possible for G1000.....

Just my thoughts.

Thats maybe true, but do not forget, G1000 is running within the sim and if you place it on a addional monitor you could not go to full sreen mode on your outside view as the add. monitor would go black.

the other downside is running all on a singe machine would heavily influence the performance....

I prefer to have all additional stuff on a network machine, which is not possible for G1000.....

Just my thoughts.

This is how I run my Displays using Project Magenta - WideFS on networked PC

Hi all,

Ultra wide 21:9 monitors are on the market. Its resolution equals 2 full hd lcd. It may be very interesting to save place and display power to increase FPS. Anyone experiment that ?

Use Actual Multiple monitors as a management tool and you shouldn't have any issues, I believe the screen issue is associated with screen focus and Direct X within Win 7.

You can run the G1000 as a separate program (mine does) and connects with FSX via a broadcast plugin. Second PC running and UDP communication the the FSX PC . allas this won't be set up again until I have a dedicated PC for Flight and Racing and preferably a room in which I can run it all. 

Archived