Share your desk / cockpit setup here!

Daniel Taylor

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am using a usb hub (with electrical adapter) for all my saitek stuff. Since they're doing data transfer all the time, they must be using some CPU power but not much I guess. I didn't see any meaningful difference at fps when I unplugged them.

I keep meaning to make a short video overview of my setup and how I built it. But in the meantime, here's my latest pic with one or two additions since my last post...

PReGZ.jpg

I have the same Warthog stick and throttle, and Saitek Combat rudder pedals...great set up!  I like the way you sunk them in.

X-52 pro on a wheelstand pro, does the job, folds away under my bed.

Looking at making a custom plate that'll fit on it to accomodate a thrustmaster warthog soon.

Best thing about my set up is the guitar effects unit that is my soundcard and the studio monitors and sub I use for my guitars.

Starting up the Mustang or firing up the spluttery radials on the B-17 with the bass cranked up is awesome! ^-^

9E8Wm.jpg

something I have been wondering about..

with all these add ons, are they usb based ?

does this drain on your graphics cards ?

as I heard some usb's can be linked to a graphics card..

or am I wrong with 

I have around 16 USBs connected through a couple of powered hubs that are connected in series. If they affect frame rates it is so minor that I have never noticed.

So here is mine. It shares the office space in my house and has been added to over the last six years or so now that I am retired and free to indulge my two hobbies.

id2fR.jpg

Note below the the HOTAS throttle I am building a helicopter collective that will utilize a 3rd Saitek throttle set. My winter project is to complete that hook-up and then get back to learning to fly rotary.

Heres mine.

Cheers Stu

Gs6FQ.jpg

This is perfection in my opinion. I wasn't sure if a single 680 could push 3 monitors, REX, A2A/Ceranado, and FTX/Orbx addons. Any issues? I'd love to know before grabbing that third monitor. My current FSX is maxed on a single 27" 1920x1080 Asus with (seemingly) plenty of room to expand. How MUCH I can expand is the question.

Beautiful, clean setup. Cheers.

Hi Bladderboy.

My 680 is fine with my setup...have to be a bit flexible with my slider settings at times..espescially flying  NGX type aircraft into some addon scenery airports but overall slider settings of Dense and Dense does it for me.On the Aerosoft Otter for example....I can REALLY have all my sliders maxed.

Thanks for the kind words...i am really happy with setup. 

Next step for me is an IR Tracker i think.

Cheers Stu

I improved my immersion by adding three lightweight black panels on the top of my three monitors.

I glued an aluminium U channel from the local hardware store (about 3/8th")to the top of each monitor and cut the panels 7 degrees to vertical on the right edge of the left panel, on the left edge of the right panel and on both edges of the center panel. The panels are held together by black tape, they sit in the U groove and are self supporting.

hsOVQ.jpg

Regards

ken

Andy,  here is the front view, not much to see the idea is it is a black blank space above the screens, the effect does make you feel if you are on a motion platform when you turn left etc. as you cannot see the stationary room behind and above the screens.   In this view the sim is not "on" just the desktop background and the icons.  Another front view of my cockpit is on page  2 of this series of posts.

ME3xu.jpg

Regards

Ken

This is perfection in my opinion. I wasn't sure if a single 680 could push 3 monitors, REX, A2A/Ceranado, and FTX/Orbx addons. Any issues? I'd love to know before grabbing that third monitor. My current FSX is maxed on a single 27" 1920x1080 Asus with (seemingly) plenty of room to expand. How MUCH I can expand is the question.

Beautiful, clean setup. Cheers.

Hi Bladder Boy

My setup with my 580 was 'maxed out' running 1920 x 1080; I got my GTX 780 and it runs 5760 x 1080 absolutely no problem. Like Stu I have to tweak my sliders 'just a touch' and I have never seen FPS under 20 flying GA

It can be done buddy.

Flying GA with Gtx680 and triple monitor is fine but I am having difficulties with heavy planes. Especially at cloudy weathers. My sliders are far from maxed (3d clouds-medium, autogen-normal, scenery-dense, traffic at 25%). Still heavy, flying below 20 fps all the time.

Andy,  here is the front view, not much to see the idea is it is a black blank space above the screens, the effect does make you feel if you are on a motion platform when you turn left etc. as you cannot see the stationary room behind and above the screens.   In this view the sim is not "on" just the desktop background and the icons.  Another front view of my cockpit is on page  2 of this series of posts.

ME3xu.jpg

Regards

Ken

Thanks Ken. I can see the effect you would get and note the 'black out' beneath the screens as well - good food for thought as I will be adding some hardware in the near future. What exactly did you get for your mega bucks? I like the idea of using the screens for the view and having the buttons to push etc.

Thanks

Andy

Andy, below the screens is black cloth fixed on with Velcro.

From the left, an Android 10" tablet for flight tracking using FsMovMap, a Hotas throttle rig, a small 7" monitor connected to an old computer tuned to weather radar, a GoFlight EFIS just behind the throttle handle, a GoFlight MCP Pro, below the MCP are three small Saitek Pro flight instrument panels, a Black Widow backlit keyboard, a Thrustmaster T16000 joystick with 12 programmable buttons, a GoFlight GF -166 radio panel and a GoFlight warning panel GF-WP-6. I made the framework in board and balsawood painted flat black

Easy way to cost all this is to go to Amazon and get prices for each.

My specs below cover the computer video card and screens.

Regards

Ken

Just out of interest, are any of you using a triplehead2go for any of your multi-monitor setups? I'd love to triple my system but with the GC I've got I can only do it using that. I'm just looking for a bit of persuasion considering it is so wildly expensive for what it is.

Thanks B)

Just out of interest, are any of you using a triplehead2go for any of your multi-monitor setups? I'd love to triple my system but with the GC I've got I can only do it using that. I'm just looking for a bit of persuasion considering it is so wildly expensive for what it is.

Thanks 8)

Hello again Jetstream!!

I have a few TH2Go units being used in the various setups and it is nice to use but for me dated - GTX 780 all the way now; I get a lot better perf.

Cheers

I will stop following you around now :)

Hello again Jetstream!!

I have a few TH2Go units being used in the various setups and it is nice to use but for me dated - GTX 780 all the way now; I get a lot better perf.

Cheers

I will stop following you around now :)

We meet again! I think I may have found a candidate for a personal FS assistant!  :lol:

I trust that you managed to get a fairly nice display from it though albeit with a slight toll on performance? If I could afford it and my GC wasn't still new, I'd definitely consider the 780. 

Thanks B)

We meet again! I think I may have found a candidate for a personal FS assistant!  :lol:

I trust that you managed to get a fairly nice display from it though albeit with a slight toll on performance? If I could afford it and my GC wasn't still new, I'd definitely consider the 780. 

Thanks 8)

If The TH2Go was the only option (as recently was) I except the perf trade off all day long :)

They are good bits of kit.

Cheers

Just in the process of building my 3 screen set up and this has given me quite a few ideas.  Thanks for the thread chaps.

I only have a small space in the basement to utilize but "kiwi stu" has a similar set up to the one I was considering and I'm pleased that all these pictures have been uploaded.

When I get it done over the next month I'll upload some before and after shots.

A question though.  At what point of the body do you find the most comfortable position for the flight yoke to be at?  For example, in a Cessna type aircraft how high would the yoke be in relation to your seating position?

Most grateful for any feedback.

Regards

Hi there MH434

Probably a personal thing where you want your yoke.real cockpits have fully adjustable seats which the pilots adjust themselves ,rather than the yoke..which is a non adjustable flight control I think.

Get yourself an adjustable chair I feel.

Cheers stu

Hi all,

I have decided to post a couple of shots of my cockpit as I told Miloguy that I would in another post. I would like to say however that it is a work in progress so don't judge me just yet.  ???

I use the Milviz 310 as my aircraft and the sim is (read will be) based solely around it. Hope you like it.

DFbnC.jpg

R4PE.jpg

imIFC.jpg

Just in the process of building my 3 screen set up and this has given me quite a few ideas.  Thanks for the thread chaps.

I only have a small space in the basement to utilize but "kiwi stu" has a similar set up to the one I was considering and I'm pleased that all these pictures have been uploaded.

When I get it done over the next month I'll upload some before and after shots.

A question though.  At what point of the body do you find the most comfortable position for the flight yoke to be at?  For example, in a Cessna type aircraft how high would the yoke be in relation to your seating position?

Most grateful for any feedback.

Regards

If you are close to an airfield that has an Aero club, I'm sure if you explained what you wanted, they would let you sit in one of their aeroplanes and take some measurements. That way you can find a comfortable position to suit you.

Archived